PDA

View Full Version : Are Blackmagic Decklink cards any good?

fxgogo
07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Has anyone had any experience with DeckLink Extreme video capture/payback cards from Blackmagic?

Do they have anyproblems with Premiere?

We are looking to invest in these cards for our Motion Graphics Department and seem to be ideally suited to simply capture and playback of SD video.

We use PC workstations if that makes a difference.

danylyon
08-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm looking into the same Card.. or maybe the SD version (it's cheaper, but can't play out through SDI).. on a PC with Premiere Pro aswell.
So I kinda have the same question :D
Did you buy them now? Got any infos? Can you recommend them?

ArneK
08-11-2004, 10:10 PM
I've used a DeckLink card on my Mac for a while now, and it works like a breeze. They constantly improve their drivers and so far I haven't had any problems with it. I use it mostly in Combustion, After Effects and Final Cut. Dunno how it works on a PC though but it should work fine. Great value for money. :)

danylyon
08-12-2004, 08:01 AM
ArneK: How does the preview on the TV Screen in After Effects work? Is it real time? Do you always work with the preview on? Anything annoying about it?

Thanks for your post.

ArneK
08-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Yes, the preview on the monitor is in realtime on RAM previews. You can decide yourself in the setup if you want the monitor to refresh in "realtime" while you work (which I like best) or to refresh only when you choose to (pressing the "/" key).

The cool thing is that the DeckLink card sets up the broadcast monitor as a second monitor on your computer. Which means that when you are not using the monitor in a video editing program, you can drag your QuickTime movies etc onto the broadcast monitor display and play them from there. Great also if you are making matte paintings for TV in Photoshop - drag your image onto the monitor and check how colors/contrast looks like on TV :)

I haven't got anything negative to say about the card. Had a D1 Digital Voodoo 64AV card earlier, but I find the DeckLink much better and with more stable drivers. Note that I am using a Mac though, so try to check out a PC version before you decide. I think I would buy the DeckLink Extreme card now, as it has more connections, XLR audio etc. Mye DeckLink only has SDI embedded audio.

fxgogo
08-12-2004, 12:05 PM
I must say it looks good. From looking on the Creative cow forums, there seems to be a bit of bother with controlling digibeta decks and outputting from premiere pro to tape. Saying that the black magic people seem to be very active on the forums and driver updates seem to come often. We are going to test this card out in the next two weeks on a new Dell PCI express workstation. I will post our results.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.