PDA

View Full Version : fur rendering problem

seb4d
07-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi all !
I'm working on a chick and need to simulate its not-yet-feathers not-really-fur thing...
So I made some tests on a sphere, I set up 3 spot lights, key light and fill light have auto-shading, rim light has no shading.
The problem is we can see the sphere under the fur although density is set to 300000.
How do you make the fur completely opaque so that the sphere no longer appears ?

http://www.seb4d.com/divers/fur_problem.jpg

seb4d
07-28-2004, 09:37 AM
hmmm I've just tried to render the fur and setting the sphere unrenderable, but we still see the edges of the sphere.
So actually I think we don't see the Sphere under the fur, what we see is simply the beginning of the fur... the roots.
Any idea how to correct that please ?

Sciatica
07-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Have you increased the transparency of the fur under the fur options? For the type of look you want, I would suggest trying something around a Base Transparancy of 1, and a Tip Transparancy of around .1 .. but mess around with those and see if they fix your problem :)

seb4d
07-28-2004, 03:53 PM
I've tried playing with opacity, ambiant color, density, even light's Fur Shading, but nothing changed...
I don't understand ! :sad:

ant-
07-28-2004, 04:23 PM
if you aren't already doing so try starting from one of the fur presets. these seem to be pretty good as a starting point, if you still get this result, there must be something wrong in the scene and not with your fur settings

seb4d
07-28-2004, 05:02 PM
ok I found the problem, it comes from base and tip width which are too low, respectively 0.005 and 0.0 ... but these values are perfect for the look I want for the fur.... I don't know what to do, if I increase the width the chick is no longer realistic because we can see each individual fur strand...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.