PDA

View Full Version : My first model.. a Lotus ELsie MK2

FrageNSTEIN
02-02-2002, 01:44 AM
WEll, before a month ago i had NO 3d experience, so this may stink, but I made a Lotus out of patches.

http://members.home.net/fragenstein.d/elise/finalelisebrazil.jpg

I would really like to have some crits on construction and also tips for better rendering (I used brazil obviously).

I also made a Boxster out of polys in about 3 days, but it stunk, so I am only gonna display it by request. Yesterday I started a Jag F-Type.

Drew Haynes

FrageNSTEIN
02-02-2002, 01:45 AM
Oops, I said "elsie". It is a Lotus ELISE MK2.

D

Adam Klein
02-02-2002, 02:13 AM
lookin good but some antialiasing would really help

cheers

AK

JuRrAsStOiL
02-02-2002, 03:04 AM
WOW :eek: !!!
It rules! Working with max for about 1 and a half
year now... ok working is a bit exaggerated, I'm
playing around :). But after 10 minutes of trying to
model a car (got blueprints!) with splines I got a
headache and stopped... then I tried with patches
and failed again :o

Do you got some tips or tutorials that might help
me to understand the method of patch-modelling
cars ?

Cool Brazil-Settings:
Image Sampling:
-Min Samples: 0
-Max Samples: 0

Activate all boxes in the Direct and Secondary Illumination option

Global Illumination Samples:
-Min: 0
-Max: 0

Sampling Control:
-Sampler: Simple Quasi Monte Carlo
-Rate: 3
-Bounces: 2-3

looks pretty cool cause it has a little dirty look,
just test it :)

EighthDecay
02-02-2002, 05:34 AM
looks like your on a good start,,, only that it seems a little on the bright side,,

did you add any extra light sources,, the floor just seems a little burned out,,

Did you us super sampling? The A-A seems real edgy.

I tend not too use Brazil,, I feel it can be a waste of time,,, if you use raytracematerial and a good setup you can achive abou the same thing,,, But then again I like how simple it can be too get them soft shadows with brazil... I just hate waiting..

xynaria
02-02-2002, 10:40 AM
For a month of doing 3D that is astounding..It would be a very good start under most cicumstances. I would take the time now to really work on this and really see how far you can take it, rather than go on to doing others, then when you do do others they should be easier to figure out how you want to construct them. Go for it. :)

parallax
02-02-2002, 03:23 PM
that is amazing work for someone who just began learning 3D a month ago. And as far as the brazil goes, i would stay away from it for now, and learn aquire some lighting skills yourself.
keep it up.

caulfield
02-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Beautiful, but you really should start to consider doing some more practice. I'd already completed my first feature after a month. Kids these days.

parallax
02-02-2002, 06:30 PM
You completed your first feature after a month of doing 3D???
you must be a wunderkind

goodlag
02-03-2002, 11:28 AM
really lovely work

FrageNSTEIN
02-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Uhmm, for the guy who asked advice... I can't really give any. I don't have enough experience to define anything I've done. Heh.

Thanx alot guys for thinking it's cool. I am currently working on a Jag, and it is polymodelled, so it is a little funky to me, being used to those patches.

I guess I will show my Jag when it is done, unless you guys wanna see WIP pics sometime.

D

kaykay
02-04-2002, 12:53 AM
I like the model, but your lighting needs some work. Find some tutorials on lighting on the web, I bet you can find some examples on lighting shiny objects like this one. Work on some nice shadows...

Daniel
02-04-2002, 01:04 AM
hmmm yes. Lotus Cars have mostly the best design!

They are realy hard to make. I know that, I already build some Lotus (Elise Mk1, Elan etc.).

So, But Frankenstein, show us a pic of the rear!

But I have to say for a newbie...very good! :)

Cya.

FrageNSTEIN
02-04-2002, 05:41 PM
I will fa' sho', l8r today after school.

D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.