PDA

View Full Version : Smooth/Hard Shading

fsn
07-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Hi,

I am quite new to XSI and got a small problem. When i create a mesh, mostly something mechanic, some parts of the mesh have to be shaded smooth and some other hard.

I switched from maya to xsi, in maya there is a tool called Soften/Harden and you are able to select groups of polygons etc and enter the maximum degree for the smoothing, but where is it in xsi ? how can i realize it ?

i think in max it is called smoothing groups ;D

pls help me

greetings
Tim

chesterjoe
07-28-2004, 11:23 AM
You can make one whole object faceted ( hard) in the geometry aproximation property page (discontinuity angle) but if you want to make only parts of your object hard the only way is to use the command make hard edge, in the edit polygon options, you have to select your edges and use the command. It would be great to have the discontinuity angle parameter for clusters but as far as I know it can only be used in an object basis.
Hope this helps...

Hydra
07-28-2004, 12:27 PM
apply a "geometry aproximation property", open it and go to surface and enter a degree for the smoothness or untick it to get an evenly smooth mesh.

You can apply this property to any part of the mesh/cluster etc to mark hard parts and stuff.. xsi4 might have done something with it but I dunno..

fsn
07-28-2004, 01:18 PM
thanks a lot, i gonna try it tonight ;D

RmachucaA
07-28-2004, 03:32 PM
or you can simplu select a few polys and disconnect them from the mesh (they will still be part of the mesh, but the polu's edges will not be attached to it so it breaks the shading)

Rumr
07-28-2004, 08:31 PM
geometry aproximation, i found this the other night and found it great, nice how i can view my render region at a smooth shape when its really not smooth in my viewer. I am currently at work but as soon as i get home imgoing to try out and read up on the info provided so far. any more helping info will be greatly apreaciated. thanks a million!

id also like to mention, i once heard that if i had all my edges creased there was a way when i render to make every crease seem to have some small amount of something making it look as if was nicly realisticle curved a tad. If anyone can help or has head feel me in.

Thanks to all you guys and gells. Means alot!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.