PDA

View Full Version : dvGarage releases Camera Mapping Lab

Leonard
07-31-2002, 04:58 PM
http://www.dvgarage.com/market/product/maplab/maplab_base_left.jpg

dvGarage Releases "The Camera Mapping Lab"

San Francisco, Calif. (Jul. 31, 2002) -- dvGarage has released "The Camera Mapping Lab", a training disk designed to teach print, video, and 3D artists how to employ a technique that is often referred to as "Two-and-a-Half D". Used for many years in nearly every major visual effects shop, the process is only understood by a handful of artists. It's most often used in digital matte and set extension shots for TV and feature films.

"This is really like a great magician's trick," explains Alex Lindsay, former member of Industrial Light and Magic's Rebel Unit. "Nobody knows how to do it, it's not that hard, and everyone is impressed! It doesn't get any better than that."

The Camera Mapping Lab tutorials are based on Adobe Photoshop and Electric Image Universe, 3D Toolkit Version (a 30-day, fully operational version ships with the product). The concepts of digital matte creation in 3D, however, are universal and nearly every 3D application has this feature in one form or another.

"It's not about the 3D application," says Lead Expert, John Matsubara. "It's about getting your head around the process. It seems like you are walking on water when you first see it. Once you understand what 's happening, it's simple."

The disk ships with movies that illustrate the process and 11 tutorials that guide users through the Photoshop and 3D operations necessary to create the visual effect. The disk is normally $99 but only $69 until August 7th.

"Camera Mapping is a perfect introduction to 3D for someone like me," says Michael Van Arsdale, a Pre-Press Professional. "I can directly apply all of the skills that I developed as a traditional artist and print professional to a growing area of feature film production."

More information can be found at: http://www.dvGarage.com/maplab.php

hannisen
08-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Sounds really interesting!
Have to check this out. Thx for the info!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.