PDA

View Full Version : mental ray questions in xsi "custom shaders"

KurtLawson
07-27-2004, 07:02 PM
i'm giving the free version of 4.0 a try and i have the following questions, if anyone would be so kind.

i'm comming from maya and max background and i'm wondering if xsi 4.0 has a DGS material or DGS photon shader. or if its called something else.

also i was wondering about using custom shaders like Physical light. i know mental ray made the shader why doesn't xsi have it.

please forgive me for my igornarce if it is here

just trying to learn,
kurt

EdHarriss
07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Here is a link to the XSI DGS material:
http://www.softimage.com/xsinet/L04_body/content/render/create/xphysics_v1_1/xphysics_v1_1.xsiaddon

KurtLawson
07-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Ed,

thanks alot for your response. i added the xsiaddon but i dont see the nodes anywhere.

i know your not tech support so every comment is very much appreciated. i'm going to buy joe salzmans render tree tut's to see if it could clear me up some.

i'm just get a lil confused when i dont see any dielectric photon shaders in the node tabs of the render tree or the dgs materials or nodes. i think i might just be looking at this the wrong way. a direct translation of MR for Maya i hope is whats confusing me.

i love to light and render, i know that soft is very powerful in this arena. i've heard it has better implementation of the mental ray shaders and custom shaders. switching from package to package for different jobs is making me want to shoot my self. so i'm hoping i can get a grip on this to make a informed decision.

thanks for your time

kurt

Zemorph
07-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Kurt look under…

C:\users\name\Softimage\XSI_X.X\Addons\xphysics\Date\DSPresets\Shaders\Material…

In your rendertree go to Nodes\Raytracing\More… that opens the explorer… in the explorer click the paths button (top right), in there you should see xphysics under the Addon-on Paths. If that does not take you to the dir… just navigate to it from the explorers folders on the left.

To make this simple in v4 you can assign folders to shelves… and use a relational view rendertree with shelves for easy access to all your custom shaders.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

KurtLawson
07-28-2004, 03:25 AM
dude sweet,

thanx for the help. do you have any idea about dilectric photon shaders or the lack of them. do you not have to add on to have the photons behave properly?

again thanks

kurt :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.