PDA

View Full Version : General Cloth Help Needed

dever
07-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Hey, I'm not much of a TD, and haven't screwed around properly with cloth, so I thought I'd ask around here before I go and model my character assuming he'll be wearing a shirt ;-).

Basically, I'm hoping that someone who has spent a fair amount of time animating clothed characters can give me a rundown of what I can expect. After my cloth setup is finalized, will I be able to hide it, animate the whole shot, then run the simulation when I'm satisfied with the animation? Should I expect to spend a day fiddling with the cloth to get it right for EVERY shot, even if the initial setup is good?

How long should I expect to be learning cloth before I can do a simplish shirt? Has anyone run into problems with using references to objects with cloth, etc?

Any feedback would be great,
Thanks

WhiteRabbitObj
07-27-2004, 07:39 PM
Yes, you can hide or disable the cloth solver in order to animate just your character, then run the simulation later. This is, in fact, the only way to do it. You would want to model anything that's going to be under a cloth object simply without much detail. This is because no one will see that, and it will be faster for the cloth solver to calculate simulations.

As for how difficult it is to make a shirt? Not too difficult. There are tutorials for it and you can use a pretty low rez cloth object and get good, fast results.

dever
07-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Would it be best to model the shirt with polys as a cloth object or to do the whole panel thing?

mrgoodbyte
07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Panel thing, more natural tesselation and reacts better than mesh-turned-cloth.

dever
07-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks man! Another question, if my cloth is well set up, how long will simulating it take? Should I be able to click the button and leave it overnight?

I'm mainly looking for people's experiences here. On a well setup character with well set up cloth, should I expect to have to do more than click a couple buttons when I'm done animating? Should I expect to have to tweak it for each scene? Also, how many hours are we talking for the simulation? Assume that I want fairly realistic cloth, but that I've made a low-poly upper body to act as an invisible collision object overlaying the complex one.

Lyr
07-28-2004, 04:37 PM
Find a real life pattern that is very close to the shirt you want your character to wear and make your panels based of that

mrgoodbyte
07-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, cloth calculation times are quite arbitrary actually. There isn't much of a time scale it can take anywhere from an hour to several days. Especially when you're starting out with cloth it can take a while. It mainly depends on your cloth resolution, number and size of collisions, number and type of cloth contraints, number of fields, frame step, the time of day and the weather. :) You can have calculation times of 1 seconds a frame but also 2 minutes. It's more of I set it up and I'll see the time it takes.
If you're doing more than one shot I recommend getting your cloth working on a shot where your character is moving all over the place. This will ensure that your constraints and collisions are working properly. When this working go and tweak your cloth for the other shots. Hopefully it'll be just importing and attaching and hitting play, sometimes you'll need to adjust some stretch UV parameters because it's not looking so nice. Or you'll need to paint up some cloth attributes (this will enormously increate calculation times though) to make the cloth fold better (bend rate attribute).
I've had cloth suddendly exploding for no appearant reason, needed to do some TD work there. I've had that my collisions were covered with some virtual glue even when there was no collision anymore the cloth would still stick to the collision object, more TD'ing! Lots of fun, except when you're working against a deadline...
So I'd say just give it a go, and just see what happens.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.