PDA

View Full Version : canyon scene - a little stuck

seeeker
07-27-2004, 07:32 PM
I've been working on this image a while and I'm not sure what to work on to get it done. It has evolved somewhat, it started out simple, and I just kept adding stuff. I feel it needs the foreground human element, but the building structure might be a little awkward. I want to add a couple more "dragons" - like they're swooping down. The waterfall was from an early stage, I like it but I think it's a little distracting. I am proud of this piece but I want to finish it and not screw it up. Any comments would help!

http://www.sequentz.com/canyon_art5.jpg

jkyoutsey
07-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Everything below is opinion, not fact:

1. Tone the dragon down. He's neon blue. Bring him into a darker, duller blue and put some scaling to his skin. He's too perfectly smooth. He should at least have a leathery if not scaly texture.
2. Do add more dragons, but not up close. Add a few in the background under the futher bridge, maybe even one perched on the bridge way in the back. Two or three more dragons would be enough.
3. Color the water. Your water looks more like mocha milk than water.
4. I think the one thing this pic is missing most is greenery. Put a potted plant growing over the railing in the front to soften it up. Put greenery growing naturally and artificially around the buildings. And lots of greenery around the waterfall.
5. A bird or two in the sky wouldn't hurt either.

Ok, the following contains some facts: :)
This pic reminds me of Dragonriders of Pern about another 1000 years into the future of those stories. Loved those books, and this pic brings back wonderful memories. Keep working on it. I think it has real potential.

truism
07-27-2004, 10:23 PM
The canyons seem to lack the depth they should have. The scale seems so vast, with the size of the people at the "closest" structure near the bottom of the canyon (bottom of what we can see anyway). The light streaming in that's at the dragon's "beak" also seems to detract from the depth you're trying to create. Any amount of light at a distance like that would have much more contrast. (but the overall light coming through would be impacted far less by the dragon than you have with the shadowing from the dragon)

I agree with jkyoutsey about the water.... It needs to be much more white with maybe a hint of blue to it. The yellowish-green doesn't really suit it. Also, it seems like the water should be much more violent as it's exiting the hole in the canyon wall. Water generates quite a bit of pressure! :)

Overall, it's a really nice start, and I'd like to see you continue with it.

dmcgrath
07-28-2004, 12:30 AM
All the observations are good, I think that it could use a bit more greenery to it as well.

The main thing I see is there is no atomosphere. If you have a planet with some kind of air (oxyen let's say). Then there is going to be a little bit of haze, and distortion as you look farther out from your foreground. As well, the colors will get less intense, and the darks and lights would have less contrast. Right now, it is too pristine. Also some more haze around the waterfall would help too

Good work so far, keep at it, you have the base down, now it is just fine tuning and adjustments.

Ravis
07-28-2004, 08:02 AM
ya, I think the platforms could use a bit of subtle grain and "imperfections" to it.. it's too smooth and monotone right now

Wonton
07-30-2004, 02:02 AM
In terms of composition, there needs to be something of importance. The waterfall is the same size as the buildings, the dragon, and the humans. Bringing the people alot closer to the camera won't nessecarily draw focus onto themselves, but would much more powerful if you could just vary the sizes of your "elements".
Other than that and what everyone else said, it's a very interesting theme you have going.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.