PDA

View Full Version : A problem with seams and attaching limbs to the body

Darknessseeker0
07-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to 3d as I have been using Maya since around December without any professional help. I am encountering a problem when I smooth the geometry on my character's model. Once smoothed, I notice a seam running down the length of my character's arm. The seam happens to be where I duplicated and attached the arm half to create a full arm. I only really see the seam when I have smoothed the geometry. If anyone can tell me whats going wrong please post a response. I understand that it would be more helpful to pst an image of the problem but I dont know how everyone else here does that. The only way I could think of would be to render it and show the image that way, but thats not how everyone else appears to be showing their work. If someone could please tell me how to post I guess "screen shots" of my work or WIP images of my work, I'd greatly appriciate it.

Darknessseeker0
07-27-2004, 06:50 PM
:sad: No one can help me?

Gary2
07-27-2004, 07:36 PM
your problem is this:

when you try and smooth out a model it tries to make it as smooth as possible. when you dont have an object directly attached (welded) it smooths that object as if that was what you want to be round.

if you want to fix this problem attach both objects and weld the vertices to make it one whole object, then do a meshsmooth. otherwise your just running into problems with what meshsmooth was designed to do in the first place

im sorry if thats confusing but i noticed noone was helping u so i figured i would make a reply in the short time i have, back to modeling i go :)

Darknessseeker0
07-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks so much Gary2! I'll follow your advice immediatly!

Darknessseeker0
07-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks so much man! I did what you said and it worked! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.