PDA

View Full Version : bipeds?

capone_adam
07-27-2004, 04:37 PM
For a project I am working on I don't want to spend time rigging a character, I would prefer to spend that time making the character do interesting animation. Is there a character studio funtion for xsi?...I have briefly seen the 'boxman' but is that just a complete no no?...is there a highly popular definate plug in for xsi? I know its important to rig but my problem with it is you have to be a expert to make a character do crazy jumps and action sequences, I fear with basic rigging skills I will only be able to make the character walk...and also you can't anchor the feet to the ground with a touch of a button right?

Any advice would be really helpful!

duardito
07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
in xsi there is not any character studio, there is a predefined biped rig or quadruped rig, and you can cretae a rig with a proportional rig.
other predefined actions like walk or run , you can pick them from predefined rigs, but other actions like sing, drink, or "make love"(:twisted: ) you will have to do it yourself.

Ablefish
07-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Yeah, check out Get->Primitive->Model->Biped-Guide.

I was also going to tell you about the mocap actions that you can find in the Net view, that you can just drag onto a model created with the biped guide, but there's something funky going on with the feet animation for most of them. Not sure what's going on because I was using some of the mocap data months ago and it was quite usable... Anyone else get strange results?

alphatron
07-28-2004, 12:17 AM
I've noticed that the v4 Biped Rigs do not play nice with the Netview mocap files. On the other hand, you can access the v3.5 guide and rig via netview, and if you parent the foot control objects under the spine, the mocap works perfectly.

Ablefish
07-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Ok, was playing with this a bit today. What you have to do is get the mocap_rig.emdl from the Project Shelf XSI Samples. That one has the legs and whatnot parented correctly to work with the mocap clips in the netview. It's a shame that mocap is setup for the non-standard rig, but oh well.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.