PDA

View Full Version : ROTK Extended Edition new scenes revealed

SuperMax
07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Peter Jackson couldn’t make it himself (he’s off somewhere building a giant monkey), but the jolly auteur sent Billy Boyd and David Wenham along to Comic-Con in his place to unveil something rather special. After announcing that nearly 50 minutes of new footage has been incorporated into The Return of the King: Extended Edition, the LOTR contingent treated the crowd to a four-minute preview. Needless to say, it was the equivalent of an Ent-filled dream come true for the Hobbit fanatics in attendance.

One of the most highly anticipated new scenes features the return of Christopher Lee’s Saruman. The actor was visibly peeved at being cut from the theatrical cut, but should soon be appeased, as the restored confrontation at Isengard looks like it could be a trilogy highlight. Not least because Gandalf and Saruman exchange insults as only wizards can — with bloody huge balls of flame.

Elsewhere, there’s more business with the Palantir, hideous über-minion The Mouth of Sauron making an appearance in front of the Black Gate, Gandalf coming face-to-face with the Witch King (a moment that appeared in the theatrical trailer but not the film) and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli being assailed by an avalanche of skulls within the Paths of the Dead.

But the focus isn’t purely on the action. He may have added hundreds of SFX shots to the movie, but the preview suggests that Jackson is equally concerned with deepening the characters. One new scene sees Faramir and Eowyn begin to fall in love within the Houses of Healing, while another takes in a touching moment between Pippin and Faramir as the pair dress for battle. However, rumours that the director has tacked a celebratory sing-a-long onto the end of the movie — with Boromir and Theoden looking on in ghostly form — are probably untrue.

Weighing in at a frankly gargantuan 250 minutes (approx.), the Extended cut is due out in late November, accompanied by the usual commentaries and exhaustive extras.

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/newsstory.asp?news_id=16041

okay people, now start looking for those pictures coz i cant find any!

pogonip
07-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Please take my money peter jackson ....ohh and my first child...is there anything else you would like sir ?? :love:

DannyDreams
07-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Haven't bought a single Lord of the Rings DVD. I'm just waiting for ultra mega huge box set with all three films and every single extra you could ask for. I'm sure it will be out Christmas sometime.

SuperMax
07-27-2004, 04:57 PM
not too sure but this link has a preview of the extended edition.

http://elflady.com/legolasgreenleaf/multimedia/lotrclips.htm#rotk

vigoro
07-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Has anyone heard what the sculpture is going to be in the deluxe set this time?

The Argonath bookends and Gollum statue from the previous two sets are awesome!

boomji
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
:drool: .

b

sigma
07-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Has anyone heard what the sculpture is going to be in the deluxe set this time?

The Argonath bookends and Gollum statue from the previous two sets are awesome!Good question. Im sure that sort of news will come out of this site (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=lotrhome)

hypercube
07-27-2004, 09:40 PM
It's a little model of Minas Tirith, with some kind of stuff in the base, didn't get to ask anyone what's in there, things were too hectic at the booth, but here's a little pic I snapped of it..you can see the fourth disc of the Extended set, they were fanned out to the left of it along with the box etc. looks like it'll fit perfectly with the other two.

http://www.hyper3fx.com/projx/cgc/minas_tirith.jpg

P.S. They've said repeatedly that any box set they make of the three movies will be with the existing extended editions, and that they're not adding more material until a future indeterminate release, so as to specifically not screw over anyone who's gotten all the releases so far. So, I'm betting whenever HD-DVD gets settled that's when we'd see something totally new.

TheWraith
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
its GLORIOUS! (hope i spelled that right :) )

ambient-whisper
07-27-2004, 10:17 PM
i just hope that the trip through mordor gets changed a little. into something closer that is in the book. one example is when frodo gets caught and put in line to go to one of the camps as an orc slave. etc.

colinbear
07-28-2004, 02:40 PM
i just hope that the trip through mordor gets changed a little. into something closer that is in the book. one example is when frodo gets caught and put in line to go to one of the camps as an orc slave. etc. well.. theres only a billion or so feet of footage of frodo and sams trip across mordor and their dealing with the orcs so im sure they've included _some_ of it.

SuperMax, thanks for that link to the preview. love the bit near the end where the witchking raises his flaming sword, and you just can tell the audience is freaking out and then all you hear is ..

"oh! my gawd!!"

.. from some lady that has obviously only just then remembered to breathe.

hehe, thats the stuff that makes all the work worthwhile.

Wilson-3d
07-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Man I can not wait to see the extended edition. It sounds awsome. I porbably won't get the delux boxed version but it sure looks cool too!!

Boone
07-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Urrgg. For some reason, I find it hard to take LOTR seriously anymore. Its the whole execution that makes it laughable...

One of the bits that got me was "For Frodo...", which I say to my chums at work whenever I'm called to report to the manager's office. When you work in a normal 9-5 job, you find LOTR so laughable when it mimics your life...only on a Big-budget-Hollywood scale! :applause:

But, yeah - the extra scenes sound cool. My only gripe is that I really wanted more...SHELOB!!! Gollum is all well and cute, but the queen of the eight-legged-freaks totally rules the day. I expect an hour-long documentory on her creation - otherwise the ROTK:EE will be crap.

MY WORD IS LAW. :wise:

kmest
07-28-2004, 09:10 PM
wow,i'm totaly waiting for this one too :drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.