PDA

View Full Version : New to the "Crew"

Whirlwind
02-02-2002, 12:53 AM
Here's a section of the forest I'm working on for my Senior Final. Its not lite, but the textures for the most part are finalized. Crit's welcomed. Hope this works.

http://alshaheen.net/artists/whirlwind/nice forest.jpg

Rabid pitbull
02-02-2002, 05:10 AM
This looks very good overall. But i dont like the ground map, it seems too blurry, and out of proportion. The trees are marvelous, but seem to similar, you need some with leaves, and some with less branches. Great work so far though.

stark-001
02-02-2002, 06:45 AM
yes yes true, and you should tweak the lighting a bit ...

looks like quake ! :D

Whirlwind
02-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and re-textured the ground all together and are currently working up some more/different textures to add variety to the trees. As far as the leaves go, I'm completely lost as to the best way to make them without struggleing with a particle effect or going poly by poly. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed. I'll post this again with new textures as soon as I get the lighting squared away. Thanks again.:)

Rabid pitbull
02-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Well as far as leaves go, depending on your software you should be able to make some clip maps. Just a few here and there to break it up. This scene is really well built and these finishing touches will make it look even better.

Taoizm
02-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Beware the excessive bump. By this i mean the tendancy to up the bump mapping level to high for a low rez map. On both the trees and the ground you're approaching the "forced bump" appearance. Example is the tree in the forground. Because of the bitmap being lower rez and stretching a little the bump map makes it real obvious that it's CG. Back off a bit, and let the mind fill in the detail. (Rereading that sounds a little odd, but I hope it makes sense) :)

Whirlwind
02-03-2002, 03:47 AM
Here's another update of the forest scene. I add lights the best I could, still need to tweek it. I know the ground still sucks, I'm working on it as we speak. Just wanted to let everyone now how it was comeing. Crits and advice welcomed as always.
http://alshaheen.net/artists/whirlwind/niceforest4.jpg

Rabid pitbull
02-07-2002, 10:53 PM
seems very dark, I can hardly see image. what kind of lighting are u using?

kheemo
02-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Lightning in the second one is better.. (for me :) )

I would also add some random stuff on the ground such as small rocks and branches .

:D

Whirlwind
02-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Really? Hmm. It shows up actually over lit on mine. I used two directional lights, a spot and one ambient. Maybe my monitor settings are off... What detail can you see?

Rabid pitbull
02-10-2002, 08:36 PM
sorry for the slow reply...

the new scene is very difficult to make out. I see mostly a dark blueish area with some grass and now the stones/rocks look more like distant nebula's.

I would suggest maybe checking your monitors calibration. I have been burned in the past due to this.

Whirlwind
02-11-2002, 07:19 PM
Heh heh, good description. I think my monitor settings is off. Right now its brightness 50, contrast 100. As soon as I get some time I'm going to bump up the light source on the scene and see if that helps. Thanks alot for you help.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.