PDA

View Full Version : Large Scale Detailed Scenes ? HOW! ?

mr.wheels
07-27-2004, 07:19 AM
I have a question for anyone out there who has done a large scale high detail project

How the heck do you do it....:shrug: its unreal

The following images are not by me

I would like to know how exactly you guys keep going on a project Example

http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery/images/big/1554.jpg

This is Some increadable work Shiao (not by me)

OR!

http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery/images/big/1536.jpg

Somthing Even more Amazing By Toni Bratincevic

more Specifically

What corners Can and Cant you cut
Do you fake certain things
how long (SHOULD) it take
How long does it usually take

Do you begin modelling with the entire scene in mind or gather the objects and models over time and then realize hey I could make a scene out of that ?

Im really interested as I havnt really done anything remotely like this or on this kind of scale or with this kind of detail and im not exactly sure I have the right mind set

And please No body say: maybe you should contact the author......I dont like annoying people like that ;)

if you have ever done somthing like this PLEASE
Any Tips or suggestions would be very very very appreciated.

Wheelz (aka: Chris)

Sharku D
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
I would say that there is no specific amount of time you can expect to complete a large scene. It all depends on how detailed you decide to make it and on your personal skill level.

When I construct an environment I break it down and think of it in levels of detail. So for example:
1st Level: Landscape
2nd Level: Trees/Shrubs/Plants/Undergrowth
3rd Level: Buildings/Structures/arch. elements
4th Level: Additional props/objects

That is a simple example but if you think like this it makes the scene less overwhelming to complete and gives you steps to work on. You can then get more complex and break those levels down in sublevels. Buildings could be done in steps...where 1st step is to model out the basics then move to additional detail such as fire escapes, more complex archetecture, catwalks, imperfections in the structure...

As far as faking certain elements that depends on what the environment will be used for. If it is for a real-time engine you prob will be able to put less detail into parts of the geometry and have lower rez textures. If there is an area in the scene that is never going to be viewed by the player or (if it is a pre-rendered animation or still and the camera won't cover it) then you can get away without putting much detail into it. I personally feel like I'm cheating the realism and ability for my own mind to escape into the environment if I leave parts out.

Hope that helps..just my thoughts when I approach an environment.

LoTekK
07-28-2004, 10:20 PM
You might want to edit your post and change the image link to a clickable link. Right now you're just leeching.

mr.wheels
07-29-2004, 12:21 AM
Sharku D thankyou very very much Im gonna copy that reply and save it ;) very helpfull stuff

and

Lotekk I put names under them and put in big bold letters that they werent by me but if you think its a good idea

LoTekK
07-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I said leeching, not stealing copyrighted work. In other words, using others' bandwidth.

mr.wheels
07-29-2004, 03:58 AM
oops I didnt think =| in any case there linked now.
Besides I did kinda think about it afterwards and thought that it might look like I was steeling so anywho

Fixed in any case . ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.