PDA

View Full Version : Game art comp 9:Samurai Lion

CHROMOSOME
07-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Maybe not too original, but I thought it was cool. I know there are other Samurai creatures, and even a Samurai tiger, but I figured this would be different enough to not step on anyones toes. If not, let me know. This is a just a head study, which helps me figure out the demeanor of the character. And, I know samurai didn't have dreadlocks, but then again, there were never any lion samurai. A full body sketch is on the way(almost done).
http://www.osiristheory.com/images/head_study.jpg

Rolob
07-26-2004, 04:12 PM
can't wait to see what this will look like in 3d chromosome. I've seen your concept sketches for this character and i know it will turn out solid!!!!

Serul
07-26-2004, 04:58 PM
This looks promising, I like the dawings so far... can't wait! :D

DaemonMagus
07-26-2004, 10:51 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see a different approach to doing a lion. Nice concept, very promising so far.

skeen
07-26-2004, 11:31 PM
I've only seen the mantle and can already tell you've got a knack for drawing armor/clothing. Give me your knowledge! Heh, sorry. Very nice start, a definite regal, self-assured look to it.

proudclod
07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Great concept! I'm beat, since I'm doing the samurai tiger... Heh! Can't wait to see more concept and maybe a model :D

Slythis
07-27-2004, 09:03 AM
i love the concept! BUILD IT!

funkyrayuk
07-27-2004, 11:46 PM
if your modelling is as good as your drawing i think we're in for something special! good luck

CHROMOSOME
08-01-2004, 01:33 AM
Finally fleshed out the body type. I wanted the character to have a short and stocky appearence. The armor makes him look even bulkier, maybe I'll make adjustments while I'm modeling. Anywho, here's the concept.
http://www.osiristheory.com/images/Lion.jpg

YerEvilTwin
08-01-2004, 02:26 AM
the lion is a king and strong willed and you have capsured that nicely. As you have him now he looks very smart and proud. It is my opinion that he should be hunched over like he's a wild warrior. It will most likely change his character, but i like hunch over things. his head should be bigger and forward a but more. love

dacheese
08-06-2004, 02:40 PM
a very promising samurai, I could say that I imaging him as a ronin yeah Leonas the Ronin Samurai.

Good concept bro.

genesis max
08-07-2004, 01:43 AM
CHROMOSOME very nice concept, i like lions and their expressivness which you captured so well. His face along with his dreadlocks looks excellent! Your drawings are very confident and everything looks very promising. Keep it on. The only thing that bothers me is that you made him too stocky and short. I know that was your intention but i think that doesn't work well with lions who are elegant and strong animal, while your model looks almost imobile. Please don't get me wrong, i really apreciatte ypur work, this only my opinion, that he should look more elegant and less stockier. Anyway that is up to you to decide, keep rocking man, i would love to see him in 3D, really promising. :buttrock:

glynnsmith
08-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Awesome concept dude...i think it looks cool...

If i were to change anything, i'd make the head bigger, and the hands bigger too...

With it's head at the current size, it's not distinguishable enough from the lesser big cats...and lions have huge paws too... :)

haha...A Lion Samurai...great combination, seeing as both had societies based on pride !!! :thumbsup:

keep it up, yo...

G...

KeepItEvil
08-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Yay,

This ones gonna rock i can tell

mindrot
08-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Awesome concept art.... this will be sweet man...
:thumbsup:

goodluck

CHROMOSOME
08-21-2004, 11:17 PM
been kind of busy, with not much time for doing my own stuff. This is about 8 hours worth of work, spread out over a couple of days. I'm way over my poly limit, but I'll be brining it down (mostly in the face, arms and hair). I'll see what I can do for a normal map to make up for the lost polys.
http://www.osiristheory.com/images/lionhead.jpg

http://www.osiristheory.com/images/lionbody.jpg

Oldbean
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Can we see a wire? The body seems REALLY low-poly compared to the head, but a good texture should fix that :)

Only problem at the moment is that he looks a little too cartoony, not sure if you were going for that but I prefer the concept. I think if you made the mane look more like hair it would help, maybe make it thinner like in the concept. Also, I'm not sure if they are ears that I'm seeing but if they are they make the head look weird (front view), I think they're in the wrong position.

Good stuff though, the rest of the head looks great and the proportions seem sound. :thumbsup:

Tad
09-07-2004, 03:45 AM
keep at it,
looks like the mesh is doing justice to the sketch

props
better lose some polys in the head tho,
that hair is probably killing you.

one thing that I liked better in the drawing was the shape of the armor plating,
like his shoulders for example, in the drawing the arc and curve up,
looks very nice,

in this not so much.
just an observation though,
keep it up.

CHROMOSOME
09-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks very much for the input, it's very much appreciated:) There are many adjustments that I have to make, and this is far from finished, but I don't think I'll be able to finish by the deadline. Schedule conflicts (it seems like I'm in a perpetual mode of crunch) have forced me to ease up on the character, but I fully intend to finish him. Thank you very much for your comments, and I hope to post this guy (finished:)) some time soon. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.