PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux for Shake

Pretorian
07-26-2004, 02:55 AM
Hi!

I'm setting up a workstation to use with Shake and I'm thinking to use Linux as the OS and I would like to know wich is the best version/distribution of Linux to use with Shake. I heard about Mandrake, Red Hat and SuSE. Well, wich distribution and version is the best to use with Shake?

By the way, a newbie question: is FreeBSD compatible with Linux? If yes, does Shake runs in FreeBSD? Is FreeBSD better then Linux?

PS: sorry for my english and the stupid questions, I'm very new with systems else then Windows and MacOS.

Thanks

Dan Wade
07-27-2004, 06:54 PM
Well, i haven't been using Linux for a long time, but we have Mandrake and Redhat here and both seem fine with Shake. Basicaly, Mandrake is a more "user friendly" version of Linux it seems. on the other hand, if you want 100% stability as aposed to 99%, then maybe Redhat is another solution. For instance, Aps like Maya run off most flavours of Linux fine, but they Alias kinda give the offical nod to the Redhat version. From what i gather, most Linux OS's are a Redhat variation anyway, just with more things added, which inturn may make it fractionaly less stable maybe. This is the case for Mandrake i think.

Cheers,
Dan.

FKMaster
07-28-2004, 03:25 PM
i had worked on mandrake and fedora core2.....works great......both readhat based......
kernel2.6 and gnome2.6 speed up shake !!:thumbsup:......suse is not good because problrems
opengl-installtion !

Pretorian
07-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks for these answers!

My conclusion is that the Mandrake or a Redhat based version would be apropriate for Shake, isn't it?

I would like to know about the SuSe distribution too. Does someone know something about it?

And about FreeBSD? Does Shake runs in FreeBSD? And, is FreeBSD better then Linux?

Thanks

FKMaster
07-30-2004, 09:56 AM
suse? i do think so.....but you must install 3d/opengl for suse --->thatīs not so easy:D

beaker
07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
FreeBSD only runs linux apps though emulation, not nativly. Even if it does run on linux, i wouldn't want to run it through emulation. Also nvidia is pretty behind on releasing freebsd video drivers. I don't even think ati releases any drivers for bsd.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.