PDA

View Full Version : why am I so rubbish at head modeling?

capone_adam
07-24-2004, 11:44 PM
This is my 4th serious attempt at a head model and its still far worse than most peoples 1st attempts. Spent about 12-15 hours on this now and allthough it was looking good in the first stages I soon get to the parts of the tutorial where it says "smooth out these vertices" and spent hours on hours moviing little vertices about without noticing that I lose other details such as the dimple, jaw, chin and overal head shape. I have done alot of research on topology but I don't think thats my problem, I know where to put things...but not how to do them. Part of me thinks its down to me being obbsessed with drawing 2D since a early age and its banned my mind from thinking in 3D...maybe...

http://www.caponeart.com/del_head1.jpg

anyone else as bad as me?, does it get better after practice? (allthough this 4th design isn't much better than my 1st)

btw, someone just suggested its because I model in userview?, is that a sin?

cry for help or what...

BESTrin
07-25-2004, 06:04 AM
I posted in the other thread you should put your wips in that thread to so that the mods can delete the extra threads. Your model is not that bad most people dont get it pefect on their first try. Look at some pictures of the character your trying to create or something comparable. Your not that far of just some of your lines and proportions are messed up. Dont worry about wrinkles and skin folds untill after you have gotten the basic proportions.

Gary2
07-25-2004, 07:04 AM
i would agree with rin, the model isnt that bad in itself. tho there are a few things wrong with it.

1. is that the proportions of the head are messed up. try using a human head for reference while ur modeling to get the appropriate dimmensions.

2. it looks to obvious that you tried to mirror it over after you welded. you might want to work on that seam as it is pretty stand out. sometimes when i model stuff that i want to mirror over (a body for example) i will get that crease in the center, so what i do is mirror the model over, attach it as closely as possible, then weld the center vertices. most of the time one side is perfect and one side didnt come out right, so il go into polygon mode, select the polygons on the half that i want to get rid of, detach them (NOT DELETE), then delete them. then after that i will mirror it over again and get a perfectly seemed object, its priceless not having to weld the final result in my opinion

i tend to find that that is the most accurate method of mirroring an object perfectly with meshsmooth on without even being required to weld it in the end

ashwin_m
07-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Hey It's not very bad for ur 4 attempt. But the main thing is respect ur REFFERNCE IMAGES and Do practice as much as possible.

And u wrote that it's better then ur 1st 2nd -----.
Get some tutorials on head modeling and seriously follow them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~OO~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Tonik
07-28-2004, 07:38 PM
As the others said it's not that bad and some really nice qualities to it. The features are nicely modelled but their positioning is pretty much off if you're heading for realism.

A decent front and profile reference photo would help immensely.

The obvious things that look a bit off in this model are:

The eyes aren't sunk into sockets / eyebrow doesn't have enough form.
The jawline is pretty much a straight line from the chin to the ear area. Imagine how the skull and jawbone change the shape underneath.
The chin is very small. Look in a mirror at how far your lip is from the bottom of your chin and then see how small that distance is in your model.

Check out some life drawing/anatomy books. A great book that's pretty cheap is "Drawing Human Anatomy" by Giovanni Civardi. It can help a huge amount with understanding the structures that make up a face.

Goon
07-28-2004, 09:02 PM
what is it with people making heads with the plane of the face tilted forward? This never happens. At most they can have a recessive jaw which will pull back the lower part of the face, but not the entire thing. (no offense man, i've seen tons of noob heads like this)

Study anatomy. Draw faces. Lots of faces. Look closely at pictures as you build. Here is a basic chart of head proportions

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.