PDA

View Full Version : New Computer Specs

maddness
07-24-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm not new to digital software and design, however, I'm not used to having a budget. I've decided to throw away my old trash and get a computer that can actually get some work done as far as rendering and multitasking. I'll mostly be using lightwave 3d, photoshop, and after effects, but i need a laptop so i can travel between work, school, and home. After looking around and talking to some people, i found someone who will build me a notebook for what seems to be a reasonable price.

Now, before i give him the go ahead, i wanted to ask some other people whom i sure know better.

Laptop workstation:
WindowsXP Professional
IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor w/ HT Technology Extreme Edition 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 2.5MB Cache
1GB DDR PC-3200 at 400MHz - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1000 Module with 128MB DDR
Soundblaster compatible 3d audio
60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache
DVD+/-RW/CD-RW drive
Internal Wireless 802.11a/b/g miniPCI Card
10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet NIC

evo_supra
07-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Since gaming isnt a factor, sounds good enough too me.

Signal2Noise
07-26-2004, 05:54 AM
Looks good. Buy it! Come back in a year or so to complain it's not fast enough anymore.

And the cycle continues...

maddness
07-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Looks good. Buy it! Come back in a year or so to complain it's not fast enough anymore.

And the cycle continues...
haha, for real.

I'm more patient than that, i've been holding on to this old p3 with 128 megs of ram for a long time. I'll wait for a render to finish, that's not the problem, i just don't like the jerky/framey effect i get when trying to rotate views or wait for an effect to happen. seems like once my model goes above 2,000 polys, the suffering begins. :sad:

i'm getting to feel like a cranky old man...

SQ2
07-26-2004, 08:52 PM
build you a notebook?

who?

maddness
07-26-2004, 09:21 PM
build you a notebook?

who?
One of my uncles friends. He builds them for corperations and gets pretty good deals on hardware. He built a laptop for my uncle already (not quite as beefed up as the one i'm looking at) for cheap. My uncle hasn't had any problems with it after a year and a half so far beyond the normal self inflicted stuff :D

I'm still trying to get a quote from this guy, but if it's reasonable enough, and i haven't decided to change anything, i guess i'll go for it.

sounds more sketchy than it really is i'm sure. But either way, it's a risk i'm willing to take, or just stick with my old computer till i have the funds for name brand box :shrug:

Simon
07-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Might not be much of a "lap" top... well unless your getting some extreme cooling to go with those extreme specs.

Apart from that it sounds like a very nice package. I was thinking about something along those lines too. Trying to make something over 3000 polys in lightwave gives me an amazing 3d slideshow of my model. I can relate. :sad:

Simon

creative destructions
07-26-2004, 10:00 PM
Might save yourself a bundle to get a regular P4 instead of P4EE. Not much difference in performance I hear.

mordecaidesign
07-26-2004, 11:14 PM
build you a notebook?

who?
It's called a whitebook, and it's slowly becoming more common :D (can't wait to build my own)

Right now, they are a standard laptop case with mobo. you add the rest on yourself. But currently the only people that do this won't just send you the parts, the bundle everything together for you and let you choose the parts, and then they put it together and configure it.

Really can't wait to put together a whitebook :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.