PDA

View Full Version : Existence, Olijosman (2D)

olijosman
07-23-2004, 08:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45174/existence_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45174/existence.jpg)

"the reflection of an empty life...
every day of your existence...
eternally chained to repeat the same day"
-Existence-

http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTENCE2.jpghttp://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTENCE3.jpg

Hi again!
This is one of my Last personal works, Existence.It is a scene full of hidden symbolisms ( appreciable in the real size).It is like a small riddle...enjoy! :thumbsup:
technical information: entirely made with photoshop cs and intuos2 wacom tablet (platinum edition dinA 4)

thanks in advance!
Olijosman

+if you want to see the real resolution, you can visit NIBBLEDPENCIL.COM of course!!

funkbuttah
07-23-2004, 08:40 PM
nice work dude, what kind of reference are you using?

Spritemare
07-23-2004, 08:58 PM
wow, now that's true talent. The lighting and shadows are immaculate. It's almost hard to believe this is 2d!

theCloudmover
07-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Magnificent.

I worthy sucessor to the realist portraits and paintings of the late 60s & and early 70s.

olijosman
07-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Final sketch and small work in progress:
http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTENCEsteps.jpg
+the picture in the drawing is "Allegory of Virtue and Vice" Lorenzo Lotto.

Thanks for your words!:)

CoolBird
07-23-2004, 10:05 PM
OMG HOW???HOW???:eek: :eek:

KolbyJukes
07-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Quite breathtaking...pretty much perfect, no crits from me.

iamintricate
07-23-2004, 10:46 PM
It's hard to believe you waited so long to post this! This will DEFINATELY be featured.

I've dissected this piece so many times in the recent past. I'm in awe of all your works mate.

cat33
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
olijosman....You did it AGAIN!!!! :eek: What a fantastic painting you have here! Truly inspirational!!! The subject matter is brilliant. I feel so sad for this lady, I hope my life never becomes this empty and lonesome. You've really captured the right expression and mood for this piece. Congrats....you did a heck of a job.....no crits here :thumbsup:

Keep it up......
-Cat

olijosman
07-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Funny, I painted this sketch when I made the sketch of wake up baby,but I decided to begin with wake up.:shrug:

olijosman
07-23-2004, 11:02 PM
really thanks cat33!. :thumbsup: and a question...why she is not reflected?:eek:

nacho_grande
07-23-2004, 11:23 PM
Olijosman it is not easy to create this scene in photoshop not even in painter. What you have done is adorable. I think you also like insinuations.

dgpilot
07-24-2004, 12:08 AM
:eek:

Very nice work. Top notch

jdsb
07-24-2004, 12:31 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumbsup:

thats it,cant say anything here...

koroko
07-24-2004, 01:06 AM
OLI!!

i have no words!

Its been a long journey isn´t?

;)

keight
07-24-2004, 01:17 AM
Olijosman, this is another masterwork!

You asked, "and a question...why she is not reflected?"
I sugest an answer: because neither the lady, nor her chair, which isn't reflected either, do not exist in time, though the rest of the furnishings do. (I know, I read way too much science fiction.)

Sorry, the chair is too in the painting! Deadlines steal your mind.

olijosman
07-24-2004, 05:07 AM
+koroko: Right! a long loooong journey! and tons of patience too! :) thanks friend!
+keight: ejje interesting interpretation and great imagination!:) .Another clue is the object underneath the chair. really Thanks

cat33
07-24-2004, 05:38 AM
i didnt notice the piece of paper......but its hard to tell what it is????? It could be anytihg which makes solving the riddle even more fun....hehe :D

-cat

Jesse-Irvin
07-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Beautiful work!

rebo
07-24-2004, 06:35 AM
This is a Masterpiece

SteveV
07-24-2004, 06:52 AM
Jeppers Ice cream Man, that is stunning. I've been studying it back at your site too, but to see it up here give me another perspective.

Just a brilliant piece of work, congratulations!

Sas.hun
07-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!! :eek:

This is Photo? :scream:
Very Nice Work! Congrat! :thumbsup:

Cman
07-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Un-Freaking-believeable.

Tom N.
07-24-2004, 07:14 AM

thats EXACTLY what I'm thinking. This is amazing.

back @ olijosman - I like the fact that it's got something beneath it and its not just a pretty picture. I'm amazed that you did this in only Photoshop, I thought it was atleast 2d on a 3d background maybe, the mirror and clock stand have such dimension to them. Also her legs look amazing too. Great job, this is one of those pieces where I wish I could have been there with the artist while they created it so I could see their every move!

:thumbsup:

-Tom N.

surripere
07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Her chair is floating a couple of inches off the floor (or seems to be). Is this another clue to her non-existence? Absolutely top class work.

Opeth
07-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Oli! you are by far the best digital painter i know. i know, linda's is great, and there are some other good artists out there, but you just exceed them by such a wide margin.. damn.

anyway, i've been following closely the WIP of this in your homepage and am VERY glad to finally see it done!
needless to say its completely breathtaking.

i was wondering - since its a personal project, would you mind if i printed it and hung it in my office?

thanks for sharing!
David

Shadow Spoon
07-24-2004, 07:53 AM
wouw...... awesomw work!!! congratulations!!!

Do u want to tell what the paper underneath the chair is, or are we just gonna guess?

I noticed the painting on the wall, and I was wondering wether it's a girl or a boy together with the centaur?

Nice one!!! really love it!

Colin de bink
07-24-2004, 07:57 AM
this is an amazing image :thumbsup:

my crack at the riddle:

The Paper under the chair is actually a photograph of her,
in this pose, on this spot, taken years ago.
she has now past away but as long as that image is there
she is alive, she exists.

Existence

Frank Dodd
07-24-2004, 08:04 AM
A tremendous piece of work with an astounding level of realism and detail, flawless to my eye.

terraarc
07-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Great work! Really Brilliant and alive! You can almost feel the sadness and thoughts of this woman!! Not to speak about the lighting!!!:eek:

I can see the hard road to completion, but the whole sumbolism and storytelling behind must really drove your pen!!!

A suggestion to the riddle too: Maybe one day in the past this lady was reading this book and came up to the existense question. Then, somehow, see linked her empty life with that little piece of paper under the chair and starting thinking on that.
Eversince, this little paper never changed place or lifted up leaving her soul on that chair...living eternally that moment of thinking over her existense.....

Really amazed, thank you :thumbsup:

combatmantra
07-24-2004, 08:16 AM
I have no words, just the best 2d work i have seen in ejem years?.

Vaya tela, increible, enhorabuena Oli.

ShinChanPu
07-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Impresionante.... como siempre, Olijosman. Me encanta cómo has armonizado la paleta de colores. Tu arriesgada composición sólo tiene explicación por el acertijo planteado, lo cual tira por tierra mi hipotética solución al mismo: cuando llegó el momento de pintar el espejo y lo que en él se reflejaba tu modelo ya se había ido. :p ;) :) (Es koña)

Sigue así, peaso d'artrista!!!

ty19345
07-24-2004, 08:24 AM
the best painting done by photoshop :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

so much detail and everying is so nice and clean...
man~ you are amazing~

turx
07-24-2004, 08:49 AM
wow those details! :eek:

amazing!

and damn me so i couldn't look at the "reflection of lady" until you write it.
it's a great point that adds so much to this painting, i think.

and congrats for frontpage :thumbsup:

frameless
07-24-2004, 08:51 AM
*looksatpicture* *blinks* *looksatpicture* *blinks*

AHHHHHH *runsoutoftheroom*

...5 stars for this amazing work ;)

ZimP
07-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Incredible! you've done it again! :bounce:

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 09:21 AM
http://www.tarotwisdomreadings.com/FAQ/rw13death.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, then the picture under the chair is a Tarot card, more sepcifically "Death". This is the first time I've ever looked at tarot cards. Since the painting itself contains symbolism and the lady really seems so depressed and like she has no answer to her problem, I figured it had to be a Tarot card - because she has looked at it and found no answer (and hence why I also never look at Tarot cards, because they hold no answer), although it does reflect her state.

Here's what the "death" card means (obtained from a web site) :(card in upright position - as in painting) : The beginning of a new life. As a result of underlying circumstances transformation and change. Major changes. The end of a phase in life which has served its purpose. Abrupt and complete change of circumstances, way of life and patterns of behaviour due to past events and actions. Alterations.

(card upside down) : Change that is both painful and unpleasant. A refusal to face the fear of change or change itself. Agonising periods of transition. Inertia. Lethargy. Mental, physical or emotional exhaustion.
On the outside affluence is clear, but where is her heart? It appears to be crushed. Perhaps the woman is very very tired of her current existence and yearns for a change, something new, something which truly ministers to her inner needs. Perhaps she yearns for a husband to sits and listen to her and talk about her intimate personal fears and interests, being her friend instead of just also existing under the same roof with her. Her children have left the house and all those happy days are in her past, yet those same happy days where when her husband was always away to make provision for her and the children - he reasoned that providing for the house is synonomous with providing for deeper needs. Now the husband is accomplished but emotionally removed from the lady. She is alone. Perhaps death becomes the next phase of life she considers from time to time. But what then? Will that solve her situation? She ponders. The cards cannot give her the answer - only articulate what is churning deep inside of her - and so the card has been tossed aside. She considers the purpose of her life - why she was created and why it has tapered out to mean so little to her. Where is the purpose in life, now that she is in this state?

Her joy and purpose lies buried under emotional hurt and neglect. If only someone would come and gently nurture her hurts and uncover her joy and purpose . . .

Rikaro
07-24-2004, 09:24 AM
woah nice... how many hours does it take u?

phoenix
07-24-2004, 09:42 AM
wonderfull man u did it again......

olijosman
07-24-2004, 09:48 AM
FANTASTIC Paul_Newman!! that is the object!!:thumbsup: +Another clue....a question and a symbol are hidden in the picture! Another step to understand her history.
Really really thanks to all :thumbsup:

olijosman
07-24-2004, 09:57 AM
I am impressed for your interpretations and investigation. Fantastic and stimulating!
+Rikaro how many hours does it take u? Hours?? I really do not know it.I have worked in this drawing during 2 months, in small short whiles.I left the drawing during a time and later I retook to finish it.thanks for your interest

AndyH
07-24-2004, 10:02 AM
That is OUTSTANDING!
I thought it was a photo until i saw the WIPs!
Love the way how shes absent from the reflection in the mirror - nice touch! Is that a metaphysical thing? or is she some kind of vampire?

Top notch work!

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:02 AM
The three burning candles could represent her three children who are out of the house - no longer whith her.

Perhaps the three candles are a longing for the unity of the wife + husband + God in a meaningful life, but now she is alone and feeling distant from her husband and from God.

Ollarin
07-24-2004, 10:08 AM
HOLY MUFFINS!!!

Awesome work man...Truly inspiring.

I still can't believe you painted that...Looks like a picture. :D

You're truly talented. Can't wait to see more paintings from you!:D

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Her dress is black. She may be mourning. Perhaps she has lost someone. Just after a funeral, her church shoes off, what does life hold for her now that her husband has passed away? They were wealthy, he provided for her. Now she is a widow.

olijosman
07-24-2004, 10:10 AM
no, she is not a vampire :)
Right, she lost dear people .Candles=(to guard a person) :thumbsup:
Great work!

AndyH
07-24-2004, 10:12 AM
dammit man - look in the mirror! shes not there!
Whats the reason for that? or do we have to figure it out?
Emptiness? lack of existence?

Shes a ghost right??

:eek: creepy

???
07-24-2004, 10:23 AM
your a great artist but is she a ghost ?

CarlCampbell
07-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Incredible breathtaking art! I might be going out on a limb here but som of your work has more quality than some Neoclassic & Renaissance paintings!

Es realmente increible lo que eres capaz de hacer. Como muchos han preguntado, me gustaría mucho saber qué referencias usas: fotos, modelos, etc... porque la anatomía y las texturas de la piel y tejidos es inmejorable. Eres todo un maestro!

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Of course she could have lost anyone - a child, her mother, even any other family. But because she is alone in the picture, I was drawn to say that she has lost her friend / husband.

I personally do not see the picture as supernatural / vampires / creepy / ghost stuff. You guys watch too many rediculous movies. IMO this painting portays something natural and emotional. The fact that she's not in the mirror may hold some meaning for the artist but it does not influence the painting's primary meaning very much.

AndyH
07-24-2004, 10:34 AM
true - i did feel a bit of a spaz for even suggesting that she might be a ghost, thats why i asked wether it was a metaphysical / visual device or a literal meaning.

We await his answer....

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Perhaps today she is mourning for the recent loss of someone close, and yet every day is like this for her - mourning because of a deeper loss which persists and plagues her day after day, year in and year out. Perhaps she wears that dark dress everyday. Perhaps not. Perhaps in her heart she is wearing the dark dress.

olijosman . . . we await the artist's original motivations to illuminate our frustrated minds.

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:40 AM
olijosman . . . perhaps another clue or two to revive our attempts? Or just spill the whole meaning!

marcusss
07-24-2004, 10:41 AM
wonderful!

now this is really deep stuff that I really crave for in art!! So happy to have seen this piece of genius, in addition to being a technical prowess.

congrats!

And please, fill us in on the meaning this image conveys for you; i'm always interested in these things. I see you are a really sensitive person with deep thoughts about life, and this, I like very much!

thanks a lot, friend

Mark'Huss

**the references to time seem significant: the book "monday or tuesday", the clock that shows exactly 7o 'clock, the tarot card that refers to passing time, either as a beginning or an end. Also, maybe the minotaur (or satyr?) means someting special in mythology, I dont know.

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Perhaps 7o'clock was the time of death and the clock has been stopped at that time in remembrance.

It could also be that we see her just before she leaves for the funeral.

ChristopherRabenhorst
07-24-2004, 11:28 AM
This is brilliant, both tecnically and conceptually. The mood of the painting is very similar to that of the excellent movie "The Hours", which I'm sure you have seen. Too bad you didn't paint it on real canvas, it would be worth it. Eleven out of ten. Good work.

olijosman
07-24-2004, 11:31 AM
your interest is very exciting! Thanks

some explanations:

+the tarot deduction is brilliant

+the clock evidently symbolizes the time…the hour in which she committed suicide.

+the book represents her life and the author is a clue of her death.

+the reflection is the real world and the observer is in the other side.

+Right, she lost the only important thing in her desperate life, but she is chained to her old existence, waiting….

+another clue is hidden in question form in the drawing….very difficult to find, but revealing.

Your interpretations are shining and precise! I love it :thumbsup:

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 11:34 AM
"Monday or Tuesday" could refer to the woman who has been mourning for so long, that in her condition she is not sure if it is Monday or Tuesday - possibly a reflection of her emotional turmoil.

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 11:38 AM
My knowledge of art and literary history unfortunately puts me at a loss for reading deeper into the painting on the wall as well as the writer of the book on her lap. I should have researched those 2 items better.

olijosman . . . Thanks for providing your meanings. A suicide. It struck my heart when you said that - a deep sadness when I look at her now.

What is the question?

If the mirror shows reality, then where is she now?

Rivendale
07-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Wow, this is a really great work Oli. You have always been a very good artist to me but it seems lately that you have grown a lot. Technically it's really a masterpiece, you've really got a nice touch with the skinshading, and the meaning you've put into it is fantastic to me.

I see it kinda like this...she has recently lost her two sons, maybe in a war...the ashes from them are in the two urns in the back. She is devestated by this and is now only waiting for death to come and take her...she is already dressed in black and has already lit a candle for herself in addition for her two lossess...in a way it's almost like she's already gone, therefore she cast no reflection in the mirror...could be any day now, maybe monday or thuesday, time stands still(havn't really read the book by Virginia Woolf so there might be some more meaning to that)

edit: oh I see it's a suicide...

cheers for a great piece of work

CML

olijosman
07-24-2004, 11:41 AM
And right, it is not necessarily a "ghost", she represents her existence, her life. A day that represents all her life.

prats
07-24-2004, 11:48 AM
This is most absolutely mind blowing.....never imagined photoshop work could outclass a painting...wow!!:thumbsup: and those little hidden reflections were very creative...

Her pensive look displays a whole range of emotions....and it reflects on the viewer too...

olijosman
07-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Rigth Chris R, "The Hours" it was a great inspiration for me.I investigate about Virginia and her work.Originally, in the first sketches the room was transformed into a river

berniebernie
07-24-2004, 12:18 PM
ahaha comon show us the film negative :rolleyes:

Absolutely mind blowing. I've found a new cover for Exposé 3 !

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 12:19 PM
Virginia Woolf, "Monday or Tuesday" a collection of 8 stories.
http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/w/woolf/virginia/w91m/index.html

from Story 1, "A Haunted House"

"Death was the glass; death was between us; coming to the woman first, hundreds of years ago, leaving the house, sealing all the windows; the rooms were darkened."

ivo D
07-24-2004, 01:05 PM
just supreme.. really nice mood.

and really close to realism, not often that i see this quality.
nice detail to..

and no photo overpainting for once :D.. great, just great man

Youth
07-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Excellent!! Congratulation!!! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif You are my favorite artist!

KaDDD
07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
yes ! ! very nice work ! superbe !

DocuWild
07-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Great work m8! One of the absolute top works i've seen here both artistic and technical proficiency.

Some thoughts.. the mirror image's perspective is a bit off compared to the form and perspectives in the rest of the room, this however i take to show that the mirror is a window to reality, rather than a mirror.

The winged angel on the top of the clock is stretching back looking at reality

The deathcard in the darkness beneath the chair maybe represents death lurking everywhere just beyond?

The left side (which is the side she is looking at) is filled with objects of her life and since she is looking back there, probably pictures that she is looking back at her life, the right side is void of objects and details, showing that there lies only emptiness?

Just some theories :P

Great work dude.

olijosman
07-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Fantastic investigation again, Paul_Newman!
And this is the Cat33 wonderful deduction:
In the short stories, Virgina Woolf writes a lot about how women were in society and just society in general during that time. Women were meant to bare and raise children that was it. I got this from "Society", it was up to the men to paint pictures and write literature. So one could say that the woman in your painting has no existence. She is merely a wife and maybe a mother living a life she was talked into living by society and in the end will not be remembered and accomplished nothing to be remembered for. Also I think she is looking at the mark on the wall to escape it all. When I read "A mark on the wall" it reminded me a lot of your painting. I could be wrong ofcourse, but it seems to me that she has no interest in reading the book or sitting in that room, or even being there. It's like she's not even there in the first place, since she has no reflection. She's in a world where she does not exist and nothing she does matters.
Thank you very much for all the commentaries!
Best

The Don
07-24-2004, 02:02 PM
:eek: :eek: amazin

cat33
07-24-2004, 02:05 PM
heh, a suicide, that explains it all. I had made my own little interpretation earlier, but I Pm'ed him, just incase you guys wanted a crack at it. I didnt think of a suicide, but now it all makes sense! I never saw the Hours, but this painting now reminds me of What Dreams May Come. She committed suicide also and was doomed to repeat her life in the worst conditions for eternity. Hopefully the lady in your painting will also be rescued by her soul mate from this inexistence and repetitive after life. So so very sad. :sad: (i wish I saw the hours though, I gotta rent it)

The only clue really left is the question in the painting.....I wanted to know if it has something to do with the Rossi's coat of arms leaning on the tree. You said earlier that she lost people dear to her. Maybe she lost them in the war and there was no meaning to continue her unbearable existence. But the irony is that she would be trapped in this existence forever.

Let us know if it is the coat of arms....if not I will keep looking...if so, I will think of the question that links it to the death.

_cat

hehe, just saw that u posted my commentary...thanks :D

yuochen
07-24-2004, 02:38 PM
very good!!
The foundation of the canvas is very deep!
My English is not very good, excuse me。

creative destructions
07-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Amazing. Saints and satyrs. You are a saint, and the guy in the painting is a satyr.

pailhead
07-24-2004, 03:03 PM
....... (im speachless)

This is just so good, i really dont know what to say, and i've first seen your work yesterday -wake up baby.

abonora
07-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Amazing Oli, like always :thumbsup:

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 03:08 PM
olijosman - thank you for your beautiful painting showing a very real part of the life of women who have sacrificed so much for home, children and husband. My first interpretation of your painting (after mentioning the meaning of the card under the chair) comes from what I have seen in my own wife's life from my own experiences. Fortunately we are still relatively young and our children are still running around in our house and for us it is not too late.

Your painting immediately touched my heart regarding the importance of not taking a woman, wife and mother for granted. So much so that I felt to make it my desktop image on my animation workstation where I spend a lot of time away from my beautiful wife and be reminded that she is not to be neglected, but that with gentleness her needs should also be ministered to. She has put so much faith in me, supported me, gave birth to our four children and raises them with great loving care. And yet I struggle to have something meaningful for her. Your painting has touched this inner struggle which I personally have and I will always be reminded that my wife should not become like this woman in your painting. It is my desire that she should rather feel like a princess inside, beaming with joy and purpose. I would like to give to her as she has given to us, to serve her like she serves us, and not to take what she gives for granted. After more than a decade of marriage, I desire to rekindle romance and do special unexpected things for her. Unfortunately the pressures of life and work do frustrate many such possiblilities, but I am positive that I will accomplish these things for my wife inspite of circumstance.

For now my heart is on my sleeve, so to speak. And I know people may think I'm nuts or have huge personal problems, etc. No. I am honestly telling you what your painting means to me personally. Everyone struggles with things in life, and this painting of your's has reflected my struggle and perhaps it is also the struggle of other artists even on this forum who have a relationship with a woman, especially the mother of their own children. Often struggles endure for a lifetime and I think this may be one of those. Because after a lifetime of being your lover, your wife, your cook, your supporter, the mother of your children, will your wife be an empty shell, or have you deposited, day by day, something of value into her?

Riddick
07-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Are you crazy olijosman to do a portrait like this one!

This is a wonderful work!
I can't imagine to do something so strong and with so much work behind.
And the picture is really beautiful.

DrakeX
07-24-2004, 03:29 PM
oh, my god. this is the first painting i've seen here that actually made my jaw drop. not only are the detail and quality amazing, but it has feeling, meaning, and depth.

absolutely amazing.

olijosman
07-24-2004, 03:33 PM
I am surprised and I moved, beautiful words...it is rewarding to transmit emotion with your work

+This is the most complicated clue:http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTCLUE.jpg
She asks herself if she is alive or dead. The geometric figure is a death representation.
Thanks to all for your participation! you make the image more rich

Max4d
07-24-2004, 03:34 PM
A beautifull picture, i truly have to admit.

I read this entire thread rather fast but if this woman realy committed suicide because she lost all, her children, her husband, then the woman was already lost when all of them lived. She had no self-esteem, no real confidence. Her children lived her and without them she was empty. They were all that stood between the already planned suicide and the execution of it. To lose somebody is painfull and often one realy gives up life, yet when you are truly alone in the world, you start meeting your inner self which is in my opinion the greates reward anyone can get on this planet. A reward granted by tremendous loss. Maybe she didn't liked what she saw, who she was and what she became and that hurts her as if they are two persons. The one observing and one being that person. The one obeserving decided the time came to end the live of the one being...........

Maybe i am talking bullshit here but i could realy discuss about this picture endlessly and therefore, olisjosman, i think you are one of the few that realy understand art.

Max4d

arliss
07-24-2004, 03:57 PM
I think this is the best digital painting I have ever seen-

Oli, how many years did you study tradition technique because your mastery of lighting, shading, and color is off the charts!

I will buy a print of this from ya for sure, keep up the great work!
Looking forward to a tutorial;)

Max4d
07-24-2004, 04:11 PM
I just saw the question olijosman asked in his final post. To be simple: she already died a long time ago before she had her children and her husband. The one who she realy was, the identy grated by her when coming to live, the id at birth; it all had been taken away from her a long time ago. Only now, when she meets herself, she becomes to realize it. When is finally sees she is nothing, there is nothing that can withhold her to end her misereble existence, it's the only thing she has some graps on.

Max4d

mushroomgod
07-24-2004, 04:13 PM
looks great.

kinda reminds me of a young Margaret Thatcher

jdsb
07-24-2004, 04:40 PM
very deep :eek: :argh:

Guillermo
07-24-2004, 04:53 PM
INCREIBLE....
Enhorabuena! Es uno de los mejores trabajos que he visto

Un saludo! :thumbsup:

Tom N.
07-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey olijosman, did she drown? You said the book was a clue of her death (suicide), I read that Virginia Woolf drowned herself.

Also, I don't know what the painting is but theres a man in it with beast legs, maybe this means she went to hell? This is definately an interesting painting, I wish more people did things like this, its fun to interpret them.

-Tom N.

RSP
07-24-2004, 05:18 PM
in the year 2500, there will be musea displaying this picture. fabulous.

Nightwing
07-24-2004, 05:31 PM
just.....gorgeous

The best digital painting I've ever seen, from a technical standpoint it's amazing, but reading (and thinking) about her and what this represents just elevates it to another level.

Oli, you just made my day :)

Szishren
07-24-2004, 05:32 PM
I don't usually jump any bandwagons, but couldn't pass by this picture without adding a few words of admiration myself.
I never thought people made pictures like this anymore these days. I admit I'm far from an art critic and my knowledge of modern and less modern art is hazy at best. But images with symbolism, lightning and textures like this one, portraits that say more than they show to anyone who bothers to listen long enough... I though they weren't created anymore.
So for what it's worth, coming from someone who couldn't draw his way out of a paper bag to save his life: wonderful image.

PaulNewman
07-24-2004, 05:33 PM
I find that the masterful execution causes not one thing to hinder me from instantly stepping into the picture and finding empathy with the character. Of course the symbols deepen the experience if one is willing to delve into finding them and interpreting them, but they are not essential in finding very deep personal meaning. In that regard the painting succeeds on various levels, the technical mastery, although highly impressive and inspiring in itself, to me is not what it's about. To put it in other words, this is an example where technical mastery of high quality becomes a door which opens into another world - a door which I can step through. Many works which are technically inferior cause the viewer to have to look into the artist's world through a screen door, never really allowing the viewer to actually enter.

DoLeeP
07-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Top notch

Prefect I say and

I can hardly believe this stuff in 2d this is awsom

All ur work great

the fronpage deserves's u

BlackCrowCN
07-24-2004, 06:31 PM
i have no words too....
very very nice .........

kex
07-24-2004, 06:40 PM
loved loking at he picture as much as i could cos your websites down. could this be a world first a website being down because too many people are looking at a picture? maybe you should charge :)

This domain name has been temporarily suspended for exceeding the daily bandwidth quota. The site will be automatically turned on again at 12:00AM PST (unless the site's allocated monthly limit is reached).

If you are the owner of this website, you can order more bandwidth here (http://support.globat.com/upgrade/bandwidth.php).

As the owner of a successful Website, it may be time to upgrade to one of Globat's dedicated server solutions. Please call 1-877-2GLOBAT for more information.

:( damm

dcmoutinho
07-24-2004, 06:47 PM
unbelievable!!!
congratulations:applause:

CarlCampbell
07-24-2004, 06:57 PM
After reading all the comments and the masterful concept behind this piece all I think is left now is give the man his TROPHY, yes? :love:

olijosman
07-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Exceeding the daily bandwidth quota?? damm!! I cannot believe it!!:eek:
Excuses for this:shrug: and thanks again!

donVITO
07-24-2004, 08:35 PM
New rendering engine at the market,

OliJosMan - Rendering System

Esta vez te has pasado, maxo. Hace tiempo que conocía tu web, los trabajos que allí expones son magníficos, pero -Existence- es alucinante.

No puedo esperar a ver la versión de alta resolución y ver todos sus detalles. Los únicos que salen perdiendo son los chavales de Globat, a los que les vas a rebentar los servidores. Lo dicho, un trabajo soberbio.

Levitateme
07-24-2004, 08:42 PM
When you going to drop a time lapse video for us oli?

Lederhosen
07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I don't really have anything constructive to add, I just felt compelled to say that this is probably the best piece of digital art I've seen.

AJ
07-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Holy sh*t that's fantastic...

pogonip
07-24-2004, 08:58 PM
If you painted that traditionally it would hang in a meuseum as a great work of art !

webhead
07-24-2004, 09:02 PM
I usually don'y comment on 2D art since most of my focus lately has been on mastering 3D art, however given the masterful work here and the subject; I had to say how outstanding I think this piece is. Excellent painting! I am especially drawn to this painting because of recent losses which make me sit and ponder my life more lately.
How precious our "existence" really is and we need to sit back every so often and reflect on how we are spending our lives. Thanks for the nice thoughtful piece that reminds us -- Life is much too precious to waste!

Pufferfish
07-24-2004, 09:26 PM
Masterpiece. One of the best digital paintings I've seen.

-pfish

DanielConway
07-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Nice work olijosman:) one thing no one has noticed is the flowers within the candle sticks....if im not mistaken they are actually "Forget me nots" i recognise them because i too have used them within my artwork....if you didnt realise what they were (which i doubt) then it is still strangely appropraite..dont you think?

Palladio
07-24-2004, 10:03 PM
Emocionante Olijosman...emocionate la historia y emocionate la imagen.

¿Quizá a todo el simbolismo de la imagen se le puede añadir que mira hacia la izquierda, que es una alegoría a mirar al pasado?

mosconariz
07-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Life is much too precious to waste...
I just wanted to quote that phrase...

This portrait is an outstanding masterpiece; I almost can't believe what you had achieve here. I'm absolutely moved, your work should be in the evocative forum, thanks for sharing your perfect work, which demonstrates great techincal hability, beautiful story background and simbolic interpretation.

And most of all, this piece have a soul.

terraarc
07-24-2004, 10:04 PM
I couldn't resist thanking you again for that wonderful journey of sumbols translation and perfection! I really really admire this "digital" painting of yours. I felt like a little miracle surrounds this image, all this sumbolism...whoaaa!!!!

It seems to me that the painting itself is her husband's creation......actually feeling her emotions and agony of existence years after her death.......also declaring hidden in the picture that that woman is alive in his heart....

KMan
07-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Sure you aren't dutch?
Looks very nice and detailed.

nineinchneil
07-24-2004, 11:15 PM
utterly and absolutely incredible, oli. it's art like this that will ensure that digital art will be included in the art-history books of the future. keep it up.
-neil

olijosman
07-24-2004, 11:16 PM
Great, the rose is symbol of the woman, but the "Forget me nots" of the candle sticks it is a coincidence! a fantastic coincidence !:)
Now we know the clues....with these elements each one we make an interpretation.And each one contributes different visions about an image. Interesting experience!
Thanks to all! :applause:

evo_supra
07-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Oh man....when i first saw it i seriously took a few seconds b4 i actually grasped it was digitaly done on photoshop. Lol i didnt wanna beleive it, i thought to myself...there must be some sneaky method...but now i know... its pure talent!! AWESOME MAN!!!

creative destructions
07-24-2004, 11:26 PM
I don't know if it's the composition, the perspective, or the lack of the woman's reflection on the mirror, but I'm getting a nausea feeling from this image. It's very nice, but very odd. You've captured that regret and doubt expression perfectly. I'm not sure if this is on purpose as well, but her right face and body have a more youthful look then her left side. Can you explain painting with the satyr and the one tree with with only one branch? Supendous work.

[Ace]
07-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Downright amazing ! Even more when it seems to communicate it's content so well that Paul got as good as the whole picture. Impressive graphical quality. Motivating and all....

Too bad your site seems to be out of quota :) Hope to check that later.

The WIP's are great to see too. Thx for sharing your work, I appreciate it a lot ! ;)

Eval
07-25-2004, 02:19 AM
I noticed that in the "real world" (the reflection) the painting is backwards, and that in the woman's existence, it is facing the right way. does this have any signifigance?

Dennik
07-25-2004, 03:46 AM
Oli......

Just when i thought you can't get any more perfect. You got more perfect. Hard to believe but you did it.
What can i say.... Your attention to detail is "out of this earth."
I would be happy, if i had even 1/10 of your talent...
:bowdown:

HenningK
07-25-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey Jose... It seems you have inspired this little forum to think about a cool CG picture as something more than a cool CG picture. Cheers and congratulations to you and people like Ballistic who know that digital can be art too. Keep creating independently! (I know that ya will) You'll probably have this whole forum cheering for you.
love,henning

Varsha
07-25-2004, 05:04 AM
wowww, spectacular!

It is incredible!
One question, i am confused actually! is this art has been entirely made in Photoshop CS? did you use any 3D software? Just wondering! Definitely, an amaaaaaaaaaazing work!

dafonz
07-25-2004, 07:10 AM
Absolutely stunning. Is everything painted or did you use a bit of 3d as well?

baoling
07-25-2004, 10:21 AM
I feel that Olijosman is not only a talented artist, but also a very kind, elegant, polite person. I'm learning from him now.

olijosman
07-25-2004, 10:32 AM
+HenningK- (It seems you have inspired this little forum to think about a cool CG picture as something more than a cool CG picture.)
Thank you very much for your observation.:thumbsup:

+Varsha- (One question, i am confused actually! is this art has been entirely made in Photoshop CS? did you use any 3D software?)

+dafonz- (Is everything painted or did you use a bit of 3d as well?)

Right.The technical drawing of the mosaic I did it in 3d,
and I fit the wire, approximately, to the drawing Perspective.

http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTENCETILES.jpg

+mycodesoft - (Can you explain painting with the satyr and the one tree with with only one branch? )

Right, this is a real paint of Lorenzo Lotto.It is an allegory of Virtue and vice,
and this is about her life .That continues with the Virginia´s book. Paul and Cat made very good interpretations about this.:thumbsup:
I am crushed, thanks for the collaboration and investigation!

sumpm1
07-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Oh God Damn! That is some beatiful work. Every detail is so brimming with life.

Frenkie
07-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Wow, its amazing!

liquidwerx
07-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Outstanding work, olijosman. Thanks for sharing. :)

~M~

vantage
07-25-2004, 03:01 PM
no word can be said........

how much time have you drawn it?

jhcheong28
07-25-2004, 03:02 PM
NICE WORK!!! I like it!!!
Just i think there's a little mistake on the reflection on the mirror. It reflects the chair but the woman is not there.... =)

jdsb
07-25-2004, 03:37 PM
:rolleyes: ,its intentional :twisted:

Raphael-Lacoste
07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
amazing light, impressive 2D work!

penemenn
07-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Woooow ~!! excellent ~!! you are my favorite artist ~!!! :thumbsup:

arliss
07-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Right.The technical drawing of the mosaic I did it in 3d,

Thank god:P If you actually did that by hand I would have dubbed you the Grand Master of the Universe in perspective:)

michaelpierre-paris
07-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Wonderfulllllllllll !!!!!!

I want to say in french : merveilleux !!!

oxyg3n
07-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Just wanted to stop in and tell you that I like your image very much.

olijosman
07-25-2004, 08:34 PM
+jhcheong28- Just i think there's a little mistake on the reflection on the mirror. It reflects the chair but the woman is not there....

:)jejeje (like jdsb said) it is not a mistake, its intentional .Good observation:thumbsup:

+vantage- how much time have you drawn it?
mm...difficult to say. During 2 months I have worked in this image.I have worked in small short whiles and not every day.I have used part of this time in documentation and investigation too.

Pene Menn,El Rafo, michael pierre,arliss.......ALL, thanks a lot!:)

ZzzZ
07-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Great work, but please stop using italic and bold in your replys. It sux to read.

GlasS-
07-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Oh, great.. Now i feel shit about my own drawings, thanks :P
But to be honest, this is really stunning, checking out your homepage now :D

B-rad
07-25-2004, 09:58 PM
What is there to say other then wow great work.:applause: :scream: :applause:

DimitrisLiatsos
07-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Sensitive work....and of course most talented...but i wont say much for that ...i just want to say that i am thinking all the things my wife is seeing and thinking for the future...her thoughts of what she wants to be and what not....sensitive painting...respect!!! thanks for sharing this with us!!!:bounce:

K-Solo
07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Hey Oli,

Congrats on making such a masterpiece. You are currently doing works that I'm aspiring to do - art with great meaning! Regardless of whether it's 2D or 3D.

Let's get back to the meanings of this piece. One thing I noticed in the design is that it contains quite a bit of "flower"-like images all over the place. Within the objects and even the floor design looks like it's a leaf. The character's dress consists of flowers as well, at least that seems to be the case in my eyes. And I know flowers can be symbolic of life itself. But I cant seem to figure out what else could this mean. Any help?

I hope more people participate in trying to decipher and investigate all the meanings of this piece. In response to what some have said regarding the life of the character. It's much easier to comprehend the meaning and feeling of this piece if one can relate to it directly. Especially if one has experience with losing a person or persons dear to them.

A quote from Aristotle can further assist to explain her loneliness:
"Friendship is more necessary to the happy, than the unhappy."

I think that she has lost love overall. In losing these people, she lost that love that we all take for granted in our regular lives. When I lost two dear individuals, I lost their love. Upon their death, I came to the realization that the love they gave and had for me, may never be replaced in my existence. And that in itself is extremely difficult to deal with. Love is essential to one's survival. It's the most important thing in life. When one loses that, it's permanently devasting. And that's what I see expressed in the character. And I can relate to the loss...

Furthermore, depending on the person, one may actually find that people abandon one who has lost dear ones. After the funeral, many people won't continue to contact the person. This happens to most families. And it can also serve as to why she's alone as well. This coupled with the Aristotle quote can help understand her solitude.

Any other clues or details we should be looking at? Did you ever consider making her eyes "watery" or even adding a slight tear drop coming from either eye?

Anyway, thanks for inspiring me! And for touching me with your work. I'm even more inspired to make meaningful work in both my traditional and digital works.

Regards. :thumbsup:

LisaT
07-26-2004, 06:17 AM
Stunning Jose!! You only sent it this weekend and so many replies already... So there's nothing more to add, except to say it made me feel like a kid again on a treasure hunt :) Thanks!!

Benton
07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
very nice! i like the style.

olijosman
07-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Right Tina! That is the intention:) .Not simply to watch a drawing. The intention is participate in a search and perhaps, learn some thing too in this reflection of life, and the things that we want, when we do not have them.

PaulNewman
07-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Somewhere near the start of this thread there was some confusion about the reflection in the mirror - not the fact that she does not reflect, but why it appears as if she and her chair do not reflect and that it is perhaps another chair out of view which we see reflecting.

Here's my view (olijosman, correct me if I'm mistaken) : This confusion is warranted because if her empty chair were to reflect correctly (optically and in correct perspective), then it would appear roughly beneath the wood frame painting on the wall. However this poses a problem to the artist since the clock which also makes up an essential part of the arrangement would then almost completely obscure the empty chair, making this element of hidden meaning even more hidden - too hidden. So the artist simply cheated the setup and moved the chair into view - regaining his symbol at the price of being technically incorrect.

If studied with a keen eye for perspective, there are other clues which give away the fact that this is indeed a hand painted image and not a 3D render. However, these faults are small enough so that even a discerning viewer can still enjoy being drawn into the image without being put off at all - even if the viewer is aware of the faults.

Alva
07-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Brillante; a sus pies, amigo Olijosman.

DigDoug
07-26-2004, 09:27 AM
looks pretty nice:thumbsup:

olijosman
07-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I have tried to make a real reflection in the mirror. it is an approach, not a 3d calculation and this will have errors, of course.
The concept of she does not have reflection appears in the sketch,(first page) and is something that I wanted from the beginning of the image.It is the main clue to know more.:)

PaulNewman
07-26-2004, 10:19 AM
The wall behind the mirror seems to face the viewer too flat on relative to the perspective of the wall behind the lady. This, combined with the very very slight tilt of the entire scene towards the left, adds an unsettling feeling to the experience. IMO, this compliments the theme instead of detracting from it - slightly unsettling.

Olijosman's images showing his 3D floor shows that he too could not quite match camera perspective to his painting's perspective.

The technical drawing of the mosaic I did it in 3d,
Olijosman, did you notice the perspective issue at that point? Perhaps you orginally planned the perspective in this way? Perhaps you noticed it but decided you were too far along to bring about such large scale changes?

If the bulk of this image was 3D, then there would have been no such perspective error in the first place and if there was, altering a 3D camera would quickly solve it. This evidence IMO proves this image is 2D with a 3D aid only used for the floor tiles which, because of their 45 degree angle relative to the walls, make it nearly impossible for an observer to notice that their perspective is not exactly similar to that of the room.

Besides these observations, all the perspective lines match up perfectly and it is clear that olijosman spent quite a bit of time in setting up the scene.

It appears that the perspective was originally laid out in 2D. But evidently olijosman has access to a 3D tool which could have helped him with the layout of the other elements in the scene too. But did he use a 3D perspective aid for the entire scene? My guess is "no".

Of course my observations may be incorrect. I'm simply trying to see how olijosman went about constructing the scene, what the issues were, and how and why he solved them as he did.

speedhorse
07-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Great jod !!!:applause:

SLUCT
07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
yes i like !!:deal:
what a piece.
personally i prefer the sketch before the final image, where the woman looks a bit younger and strokes so intuitive......

but the final is awesome
especially the caravaggio-like 'indefinite' light (->source>direction>temperature) is very powerful i think....
....she is off 'existence'..... ugh... so scary man.

krl
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
And again, great work, though I'm not a great fan of colors & feel of it but that a matter of taste. Technically great, no question.

There is one thing I'm wondering about in you work process: how do you get such clean linearts of your relatively rough sketches? And in what size are you sketching and at what resolution are you scanning?
"Wake up, baby!" has just inspired me so much that i'd like to give a try how far i'd come using the same techniques that you use.
If these things have already been said please tell me on which page of this thread :)

olijosman
07-26-2004, 04:04 PM
it is difficult to me understand this extensives commentaries, but I will try to respond.
+about the floor- Right, the turn in the floor tiles helps to integrate it in the scene, because it is not parallel to the wall.
+krl, I do not understand exactly what you ask to me...the final drawing I do not do it continuing the sketch.

Lyrid
07-26-2004, 04:06 PM
How rational it is! I feel cold before searching the clues and I feel cold after comprehanding the representation. So I follow the first feeling!
It's a very nice painting.

PaxtonGerrish
07-26-2004, 04:40 PM
Here's my view (olijosman, correct me if I'm mistaken) : This confusion is warranted because if her empty chair were to reflect correctly (optically and in correct perspective), then it would appear roughly beneath the wood frame painting on the wall. However this poses a problem to the artist since the clock which also makes up an essential part of the arrangement would then almost completely obscure the empty chair, making this element of hidden meaning even more hidden - too hidden. So the artist simply cheated the setup and moved the chair into view - regaining his symbol at the price of being technically incorrect.
The chair isnt under the painting.. look where its back feet are in relation to the floor and the wall.. its out from the wall a ways.. hence the reflection.. am i right?.. :shrug: .. although the shadow behind the chair in the reflection is a little misleading.

anyway.. technicalitys aside , It is so refreshing seeing this after months of killer death troopers and scantily clad manga babes. thank you sincerelyolijosman

olijosman
07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
you are Right,PaxtonGerrish. The chair is separated from the wall.
Thanks, certainly are not a "beautiful" image with warm tones :)

yellowstone1
07-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Beautiful piece - stunning!

It has a cross between a "Memento Mori" (We must remember that we will all die) and a Norman Rockwell feel to it.

Wonderer
07-26-2004, 07:57 PM
Awesome work, Olijosman your technique is perfect, there is photographs not as good as this. Your name certainly growned in this comunity.
:buttrock:

skurge13
07-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Just phenomenal, Oli, you are truly to be congratulated for creating a thought-inspiring and evocative work. I hope you make prints of your work available on zazzle.com, everyone in this thread would buy one! I'm still amazed you could make this in Photoshop. Is there a Photoshop training book out there you could recommend for a guy like me who wants to be able to create digital paintings like that?

olijosman
07-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks yellowstone1, Orly ....:)
and skurge13. Unfortunately I do not know any book of digital painting training :sad:
But I can recommend you books of color theory.You can find them in artistic material stores. and thanks for the advice!

picksell
07-26-2004, 10:42 PM
olijosman,

As everyone else has said...very amazing. I have not seen much realism that surpases the skill you have executed here.

I'm not sure if this has been covered yet, for there are so many comments on this thread. I saw the sketch and work in progress colors and its neat to see that development from rough concept to finished rendering. Were you working from a live model or from photoreference? Surely, you had to have used some still life, and/or model to accomplish this level realism. Unless you worked completely from your head (which is not impossible, but I would imagine unlikely) would you be willing to post or link your reference?
Anyway, I love your color sketch and the final piece both. You have incredible technical drawing skill and understanding of color theory, lighting, perspective and all those important artistic qualities.

Andre Jackson
07-26-2004, 11:46 PM
I can recommend you books of color theory.You can find them in artistic material stores. and thanks for the advice!

I, for one, would definately be interested in any specific recommendations you might have. Especially if they give any insight into painting skin tones like you do.

sirneko
07-27-2004, 03:52 AM
I just can say that's AMAZING!!

but there is something that caught my attention... about the reflection in the mirror.. the chair isn't directly under the painting, it has been moved? :o

Ranc0r
07-27-2004, 05:17 AM

took the words right out of my mouth.

creative destructions
07-27-2004, 07:15 AM
yes i like !!:deal:
what a piece.
personally i prefer the sketch before the final image, where the woman looks a bit younger and strokes so intuitive......
I agree. Could you finish a seperate piece with the younger lady's head looking downwards like the initial sketch? The woman looks beautiful in the sketch, but maybe that's your goal. Not to let us see her true beauty in her youth.

tayete
07-27-2004, 07:58 AM
¡Joer con los maños! ¡Sois máquinas! Desde que el amigo Fco. de Goya os enseñó lo que se puede hacer con un pincel en la mano... :)

That's perfect...I simply cannot understand how you manage to deal so well with the transition between sketch and final picture.

olijosman
07-27-2004, 08:16 AM
sirneko-the chair isn't directly under the painting, it has been moved? :o
The chair is not displaced,it is separated of the wall . Perspective causes that it seems moved.
mycodesoft-Could you finish a seperate piece with the younger lady's head looking downwards like the initial sketch?
ajaja sorry, I changed it because I wanted to do it, and this is not an order painting...perhaps you want to pay me for that ? jejeje :)
ajaja tanks Tayete, but I am not "maño", I did not know Goya,I am not so old!! :)

ninjacore
07-27-2004, 08:38 AM
mentalist!

your work is an insperation. i Love your unbelivebly clean concepts of the dropships on your site.

dwin
07-27-2004, 08:48 AM
very amazing work... I really like it.... GREAT...

CarlCampbell
07-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I still think the most important question is still unsanswered, Olijosman... did you use ANY model reference at all?
Also one other thing, the painting IN the drawing, did you do that yourself or did you simply add that in and perspective-correct it?

DAREONER
07-27-2004, 01:00 PM
incredible, it 's so realistic!!
do you have a photo reference for paint? (the mirror is so realistic)

cermit
07-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Masterpiece

olijosman
07-27-2004, 01:54 PM
CarlCampbell-I still think the most important question is still unsanswered, Olijosman... did you use ANY model reference at all?

the most important question ? :shrug:
in my photorealistic works I use reference models, of course.
Also one other thing, the painting IN the drawing, did you do that yourself or did you simply add that in and perspective-correct it?
It is not a photo composition, if you talk about that.This is my version of Lotto´s picture:
http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/vice-virtue.jpg

and this is the authentic one:
http://www.mystudios.com/art/italian/lotto/lotto-allegory-vice-virtue.jpg
Thanks again!:thumbsup:

sybille
07-27-2004, 02:08 PM
what a crap that's just a photo place in a layer and play with it! c'mon what a bobbard

Marty_McSly
07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
olijosman, once again you have amazed me with your talent - I loved this piece before even seeing the completed version. You have a serious talent that both depresses me and totally and utterly inspires me!

Thank you!

mosconariz
07-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Olijosman; it will be great to see the reference photos :thumbsup:

CarlCampbell
07-27-2004, 03:45 PM
La más importante era si habias usado referencias, creo yo francamente, para muchas personas como ya se ha podido ver. Seguro que hay, y créeme que la hay, mucha gente ahí fuera que le da mucha importancia al asunto de usar referencias o no. Si alguien las usa, no le da menos credibilidad, no es eso, pero es algo que viene a mente cuando ves trabajos así. Siempre suelen haber varias tendencias, los que se maravillan por la obra en sí, otros por el cómo se hizo y luego unos últimos que estan a caballo entre las dos cosas. Espero que puedas entender esto...

Translation: Simply stressing on why I think its important to show references as a large percentage of people tend to want to see it even MORE than the piece itself. This is a forum dedicated to "Show & Tell" after all IMHO, not just a mere gallery...

EDIT: I also think what Mosconariz says, it would great if we could see your reference photos.

olijosman
07-27-2004, 03:52 PM
CarlCampbell- Cuando yo veo un cuadro fotorealista, entiendo que tiene alguna referencia real, pues nadie conoce todas las pequeñas venas, reacciones sutiles de todos los musculos...etc.A fin de cuentas si dibujas una persona es por que viste a una persona.(es decir, existe la referencia de una persona).

[ADMIN GOOGLE TRANSLATION: Carl, When I see a photorealistic picture, I understand that it has some real references, because nobody knows all the small veins, the subtle reactions of all the muscles, etc. After all, if you draw a person, it is as that person.]

CarlCampbell
07-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Vale, estamos de acuerdo... simplemente me parecía que no quedó demasiado claro y con esto no quiero decir que pretendía que "demostraras" nada en absoluto :)
Sería verdaderamente interesante ver la referencia si es que hiciste foto(s)...

[ADMIN GOOGLE TRANSLATION: Together, we agree... It simply seemed to me that it was not too clear, and with this I do not mean that you tried to "demonstrate" nothing absolutely. It would be truly interesting to see the reference (if that's what you did use) photo(s).]

olijosman
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
this is one of my photo references.:)
http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/REF.jpg

jtuulos
07-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Excellent work, Olijosman, you're a gift to the whole cg-community :D

About the reference... are you sure you posted the right photo, the woman in the painting isn't quite so young, is she? :rolleyes: Ok, I'm just joking, it's great that you've created something by yourself, not just painted over some picture of someone's worried mother :)

Keep up the good work, hope we'll see some more inspiring and evocative pictures from you. :thumbsup::applause:

mkhean
07-27-2004, 04:36 PM
i have no words...~!!!!
i thought is a pic...:bounce:

sybille
07-27-2004, 04:38 PM
its just a photo reference but he dont want to show us the photo , after he put it on a layer and lets begin playing with photoshop

Rey
07-27-2004, 05:33 PM
This has to be the best digital painting I have ever seen.

Great work.

olijosman
07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the overwhelming commentary, Rey

orvski
07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
OLIJOSMAN:

i think this person commited suicide, after reading the top phrase you put on your first post with the picture, and then looking at the picture, it reminded me of the movie "What Dreams May Come", when the wife commited suicide, she was trapped in a place neither hell, and she was gonna live her life over and over because it said that people who commit suicide, their soul is lost or something. Blah i forgot haha. But am i right?

olijosman
07-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I have not seen that film but another inspiration is the Alejandro Amenabar´s film: THE OTHERS (LOS OTROS) . I like your interpretation!

orvski
07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
I have seen "The Others". THe end was unexpected for me hehe. In "What Dreams May Come", there was a family of 4. First the 2 kids died, and then a couple years later, the husband died. The movie is about soulmates, the wife & husband, and it contains alot of symbolism in it throughout the whole movie. When the husband died, the wife's life went downhill and she ended up killing herself. Im not gonna tell anymore, it is a good movie. Great special effects too by Digital Domain, you should watch it :)

olijosman
07-27-2004, 08:03 PM
interesting! thanks for the recommendation :thumbsup:

kidcodea
07-27-2004, 08:34 PM
too good :)

almost seems like reverse engineering , if you know what i mean...
thats how good it is.

Victor_Mancini
07-27-2004, 09:16 PM
just curious as to why she is not in the reflection in the mirror

monkeycorn
07-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Ack!! she's a vampire!!

beautiful piece!

creative destructions
07-28-2004, 02:04 AM
sirneko-the chair isn't directly under the painting, it has been moved? :o
The chair is not displaced,it is separated of the wall . Perspective causes that it seems moved.
mycodesoft-Could you finish a seperate piece with the younger lady's head looking downwards like the initial sketch?
ajaja sorry, I changed it because I wanted to do it, and this is not an order painting...perhaps you want to pay me for that ? jejeje :)
ajaja tanks Tayete, but I am not "maño", I did not know Goya,I am not so old!! :)

I plegde 5 whole dollars. :deal:

olijosman
07-28-2004, 07:47 AM
monkeycorn-Ack!! she's a vampire!!

No, she is not a vampire :)

mycodesoft-I plegde 5 whole dollars. :deal:

ajajja it is a joke. I have not made it for money, and I will not alter it.:shrug:

merdzan
07-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Really great,i like it ;)

gabby_ovadia
07-28-2004, 10:58 AM
beutifull work,

I'm curious about that "riddle" of yours...

:thumbsup:

MoX&Dana
07-28-2004, 08:35 PM
That is beautyful:eek: :eek: :eek:

Rhino169
07-28-2004, 08:47 PM
olijosman,

AMAZING!!!! I love it when an artist, such as yourself, includes meaning into a painting. As many have mentioned, it adds another dimension to the work....emotion.

I applaud you for your for your very fine effort!

However....there is just one small tiny little miniscule item that bothers me. It's her left arm. It is difficult to tell where her elbow is. It looks like it is at the first dark fold down below what appears to be her bicep, but this would make it too short. If you look to the next dark fold, this is where it looks like it could be, but then this looks to be a little bit out of perspective. I am in no way trying to bring down this amazing work so please forgive me in advance!!!

Also, on a lighter note, the image could be a snap shot in time showing the moment when she is distracted from her reading by her husband who is in the adjacent bathroom after a dinner of corned beef and cabbage!

olijosman
07-28-2004, 09:06 PM
thanks for your commentary, Rhino :thumbsup:

ZMC
07-28-2004, 09:50 PM
pretty much perfect. Keep it up

Best Regards
ZMC

r2d3
07-29-2004, 12:55 AM
love the photo :)

damn perfect masterpiece , must have been some hours
the fact that the woman does not appear in the mirror strikes me the most
did you ever tryed something like this on real canvas ?
otherwise you really should
respect and keep it up
looking forward to the next piece

onlooker
07-29-2004, 05:05 AM
I think everybody at CGtalk has posted but me.

olijosman your artwork never ceases to dazzle me. :)

I'll stop there. I think there are enough Oooo's and Ahhh's in here already. :D

olijosman
07-29-2004, 06:00 AM
ZMC- Thanks a lot:)

r2d3-must have been some hours -Right, and some days too:)

did you ever tryed something like this on real canvas ? Of couse,when I studied drawing and painting, but I prefer the digital way now.

looking forward to the next piece- Probably I will rest a good time, I need vacations:)

onlooker-I'll stop there. I think there are enough Oooo's and Ahhh's in here already. :D- jajajaj Right Onlooker, but these are so pretty...:D

sybille
07-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Final sketch and small work in progress:

http://www.iespana.es/josmanoli/EXISTENCEsteps.jpg
+the picture in the drawing is "Allegory of Virtue and Vice" Lorenzo Lotto.

Thanks for your words!:)

cmon show us the photo from where you copy your so called sketch

santosLord
07-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Olijosman, just wanted to say what a great painting you have done.

Second, you say this is supposed to be a riddle? If it is I think this is the answer

Her soul is stuck between two worlds because she had commited suicide and when you commit suicide your soul is undecided on where it wants to go. ( Heaven or Hell ) That is why you do not see her reflection in the mirror. She sits there everyday not knowing what day it is day after day because not a day goes by she realizes that she has lost loved ones. Her life has been used by her own self. The truth to all this is she asks her self,
" Why am I of existence if, I my self died of a lonely life."

Well this is my interpretation of the painting. I like riddles. This was fun.

Take care,
Lord Ryan

olijosman
07-29-2004, 09:34 AM
it is an interesting vision, indeed.:) I am glad if you enjoyed with the riddle.Thanks!

hertzchim
07-29-2004, 01:00 PM
speechless

Bil
07-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Any plans for a Giclee print on canvas of this one? If so, I'll stand in line for it.

Excellent, thought provoking piece.

Bil

olijosman
07-29-2004, 05:39 PM
It is good idea, but never I have printed my drawings

Dennik
07-29-2004, 11:12 PM
It is good idea, but never I have printed my drawingsHeh, man in case you haven't realised it yet, you can make money out of these paintings. :)
Or at least show them to a Gallery for some public recognition. Just in case few thousand fans with no face (from the internet) are not enough for you.

olijosman
07-30-2004, 07:37 AM
I have a work, and make money with this is not my main reason, but much people request me an impression .Unfortunately I do not know that kind of business.
(the few thousand fans with no face are enough for me!:) )

ceql
07-30-2004, 07:59 AM
I'm probably a bit late, but I must say that I really love your work, olijosman! Especially this one, which is a Masterpiece! :applause: :applause:

xjgd4321
07-30-2004, 02:03 PM
too beautiful colour!! :bounce:

Spaghetti
07-31-2004, 12:34 PM
GREAT WORK!

I was absolutely certain this was 3d.

How would u like to do concept art for a mod im making?

www.norwayundersiege.tk
New site in the making

its about norway during ww2

Somehow i already know the answer :P

olijosman
07-31-2004, 04:35 PM
You work for a company? I have work, and I do not make freelance work, normally:shrug:

Varian
07-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Count me as another who is admiring your great work, Oli. This thread is terrific, really enjoyed the in-progress views and the revealing of your intentions behind this creation. Keep up the inspiring work! :)

clandestine
08-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Very nice, I must say. Definitely beyond my skills, but I'd like to note that the empty space on the right is... unfulfilling. Immaculate work on the technical details, but I dislike the empty space; I feel it detracts from the interesting character of the woman.

Also, the candles looked a little cartoony on examination of the larger copy.

Nice work, though. Very well done.

SteveV
08-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Oli, I've been meaning to ask, what resolution and dimensions did you do the original at?

olijosman
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
you can find the real resolution image in NIBBLEDPENCIL.COM
Thanks!:)

cserbuj
08-06-2004, 07:06 AM
PERFECT. Simply perfect. I have no words, you're an artist really.

techart
08-09-2004, 02:31 PM
incredible work dude...I'm stuned......I love the details....the furniture....like a painting of Van Eyek

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my threads:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159796
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157874
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=146589
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=146109&page=3&pp=15
http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56228
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152149
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=152145

tofushop
08-10-2004, 08:25 AM
that's really amazing

tofushop
08-10-2004, 08:25 AM
That's Amazing ......~

tofushop
08-10-2004, 08:26 AM
That's Amazing ......~HOW CAN I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT ? I AM ALRADY TRIED THAT

olijosman
08-11-2004, 06:16 AM
thanks a lot again!:thumbsup:

cat_dancing
08-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Absolutely stunning Jose...

simply perfect

:)

banter3
08-12-2004, 03:43 AM
This is beautiful. Any idea how much time a piece of this caliber took you? I like how she is not visible in the mirror. I also like her deathly skin tones, and the overall mortuary parlor deathlike feel to the piece. Can't wait to see more.

Virtuoso
08-25-2004, 09:15 AM
I can only add..........................Beautiful piece of art,top level.Your work is always a joy to view..............:arteest: :beer:

HoodZ
08-27-2004, 10:40 AM
im speechless!

Akiman
08-27-2004, 05:26 PM
somebody hit me!

Shadow Spoon
08-27-2004, 09:59 PM
SLAM!!!:thumbsup:

TOMKAT
09-01-2004, 04:52 AM
Amazing job! :eek: I don't understand how you can get all those details starting from nothing, you really must have a good visual memory! And the floor, only with Photoshop and a tablet! I especially liked to see the W.I.P. images, this is really impressive!

New
09-02-2004, 01:55 PM
Wow!! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
That is just perfect oli!

Zaragoza rules!!!

SuperXCM
09-11-2004, 11:04 PM
Simply AMAZING! :eek:

Very good work,.... a story in a pictures. :bowdown:

"Magnifique"!

olijosman
09-12-2004, 06:31 AM
cat_dancing,banter3,Virtuoso,HoodZ,Akiman,Shadow Spoon,TOMKAT,New,SuperXCM...

really thanks to all!:thumbsup:

JehutyVer2
09-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Incredible, it's hard to imagine that all wasn't done by hand. It looks like a painting that you'd find in a museum. Great job.

pyroboy
10-23-2004, 01:09 AM
Wow.. sppeechless.. Somebody.. Pinch.. Me.. I.. Think I.. Am.. dreaming

That is just amazing. Oh my god. That is amazing.

Peteleebe
10-26-2004, 04:18 PM
:scream: oh...o, how can I improve my skill to your standard? you are really incredible!

very very good work!:applause:

Common Terry
11-10-2004, 01:39 AM
You have my utmost admiration for you incrediable skills. It's like addressing Vermeer. Thanks for sharing the process. What a special treat. When I first saw this I immediately thought of a vampire who has no reflection. A being who doesn't really exist, yet lives forever through man's creative invention. A rare masterpiece!

My hats off to you. I look forward to seeing more.

olijosman
11-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Really thanks!.Probably it is not an aesthetically beautiful image, but she is expressive, I hope.:thumbsup:

rybeck
12-04-2004, 12:58 AM
Your understanding of lighting is great and inspired me in great level... Wondering your daily schedule... if you don't mind... since I am thinking about make not daunting but tight enouhg schedule for the winter break so I can spend valuable time as smart as possible I can manage...

Pixelcritter
03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
How is that not a photo. Incredible understand of the human form and lighting.

LOOK AT THAT FOOT! :eek:

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2005, 04:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.