PDA

View Full Version : Q3 -> Maya 4.0 Import plug-in?

sketchguy
02-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Back in the days of Maya 2.5 there was a quake2ImportExport plug-in available from A|W. Unfortunately, this was never updated to include v3.0 or v4.0

I still have this plug-in but (as expected) it fails to load up in v4.0. Not being a programmer, I wonder if this file could be enhanced to work with v4.0?

I've been using Maya professionally since it's inception and would like NOT to have to resort to another package to explore the world of custom player and map creation. Considering Maya's continuing proliferation in the game market, one hope's it would lead to more plug-ins or individual programming efforts in this respect.

I was able to locate a md3 Export plug-in from the gang at www.quakerally.com, however, I'd like to be able to import md3 files into Maya 4.0. It would be a great learning tool to import one of the default player models and learn how this format is put together, i.e., character scaling, texture placement, animation examples and ranges, etc.

I've heard that Milkshape can import a md3 file and then export a .obj file, but am unsure what gets carried over in the translation. Is it also true that the tag formats are somewhat different from a Q2 model?

To sum up... Has anyone here been using Maya 4.0 to model their Q3 maps and players? Any tips, links or advice would help immensely.

BRUTICUS
02-02-2002, 07:46 AM
You can import into max then export to 3ds and import your 3ds files with alias' 3ds importer. Retaining mapping and all. Thats what i did.

TurtleRacer
02-03-2002, 04:10 PM
actually there is an updated version of the md3 plugin for maya..
http://www.quakerally.com./files/md3export.shtml
have fun.

BRUTICUS
02-03-2002, 08:38 PM
yeah and theres a maya 4 version now but the new one still doesn't import.

somlor
02-25-2002, 12:48 PM
Try the Java MD3 Model Viewer. (http://bert.fragland.net/md3view/)
It can export to VRML97 format with texture coordinates. :D

SOMLOR

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.