PDA

View Full Version : To Switch to XSI from max or not to???

Lukashi
07-30-2002, 07:41 PM
I have an option of using either 3ds max 5 or XSI, ive been using max for a long time and not sure if i should switch, u guys think its worth it? Plz tell me y...

FKMaster
07-30-2002, 08:07 PM
what is wrong with max ?;)

Lukashi
07-30-2002, 08:26 PM
not much besides the instability

HapZungLam
07-30-2002, 09:58 PM
how long have you use max? if you use it more than 1 year. i think you should stick with it.

Lukashi
07-30-2002, 09:59 PM
yeah it is more than a year, i tried xsi and it was hard to do anything, too used to max...

Kananga
07-30-2002, 10:44 PM
Well, I mostly use max, but once you take the time to learn XSI, you start to see its advantages, particularily in texturing and animation. I'm planning to continue modeling in Max, and then bring the models into XSI to do the rest.

But yeah, I think Max is better for poly-modeling. Easier, faster. :thumbsup:

Lukashi
07-30-2002, 10:45 PM
oooh yeah poly modeling ROX in max. Max 5 poly got even better!!

wmendez
07-31-2002, 03:42 AM
I made the jump from LW to XSI and it was pretty painless, just getting used to the RenderTree. Coming from MAX it would be a whole new world for you Maya would see more comfortable becuase of the UI.

All in all use what you feel most comfortable and productive for you but also keep the options open, more tools you know the better.

Kananga
07-31-2002, 08:17 AM
I'd go *all* XSI, for modeling and everything, but I'm not using 3 buttons to tweak verticies on a complex model. It really gets in the way of the creative flow while Im working....LMB...MMB...RMB...LMB....RMB...aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!

Unless there is a way to get a max/maya type one button transform gizmo thingy, then it aint happenin':thumbsdow

Vic3k
07-31-2002, 09:24 AM
oh my, the 3 mouse button stuff is like a dream to me, so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast. so intuitive.

hmm with all my love for XSI i would recommend you to stick with max. for now xsi is still young and not widely used, it needs a little bit more time to get the recognition it deserves. perhaps after version 4.0.
for now stick to what you have more chances getting a job with but if it's for hobby then go XSI all the way

wmendez
07-31-2002, 12:35 PM
A guy on 3DBUZZ's Softimage forum named RendermanXSI wants to create a hotbox type function for XSI maybe this would help those who don't like the 3 button mouse setup. I don't mind it at all.

raffael3d
07-31-2002, 12:56 PM
I LOVE the three mouse button options. the "s" button witt the mouse is extremely good, didn't see anything that good in antother software so far.

Lukashi
07-31-2002, 04:24 PM
i think we are losing the point of the thread =) whats a 3button mouse issue or whatever?

FKMaster
07-31-2002, 08:21 PM
if your focus on animation --> xsi...it rockz !

wmendez
07-31-2002, 10:23 PM
Lukashi,

In XSI the you constantly use L, M, & R mouse buttons
X=L Y=M Z=R

Kananga
07-31-2002, 10:27 PM
lukashi...in XSI each transform axis is assigned to a seperate mouse button. X-MMB Y-RMB Z-LMB when you scale rotate etc. Apparently some dont mind it, I mean in some ways its more accurate yeah. I hate it:D

Kananga
07-31-2002, 10:29 PM
whoops, I m got my MB 's and XYZ's confused. Probably why I dont like the approach.

Vic3k
08-01-2002, 06:54 AM
farquar don't think you are alone on confusing the axises. it took me about a month or even 2 to completely get used to that but once you do, trust me, you wouldn't wanna see anything else for moving stuff. and then if you got to any other software you would think, foock, i have to track down the manipulator every time....
in maya they got this kind of thing but it's only middle mouse and it just repeats the move on the axis angle that was previously moved

Kananga
08-01-2002, 09:34 AM
actually, I got used to to 3 axis function quite quickly. I partly modeled a character, working away quite quickly tweaking away with the 3 buttons. After a while I just thought that a single button was simpler and more intuitive. I mean Im already using the other buttons for orbiting and panning around the model, 3 button transforms on top of that just made things very tedious and uncomfortable. But anyway, its what works for you.

I think I'll prefer the XSI controls once I start animating, I could never keep track of my rotational axis when using character studio in max.

cras
08-04-2002, 06:37 PM
:bounce:

It is funny, I am confused now, me I had been using XSI, and I am learning Max. I still love XSI, I truly belive XSI is nicer,so nice and clear to model and animate, you go straight forward to everything.
In XSI you go directly to the polymesh you pull to the points, move and add edges, you merge it, you add more polys, you preview it before subdividing it, you can rotoscopy your art work in a front view and in a side view, so fast to model.

Please tell me how can I do all that easy in Max, for me is a pain, explain me please!! to understand the gizmo, subobj....

tell me me how I model a nice half head in Max begining from a box?

In XSI I just go to primitive box, I tag the edges of the center, subdivide them in 2, delete half of the box and I add as many edges I require.

:scream: :scream:

KEKS
08-04-2002, 07:30 PM
cras same as XSI :)
instance the half and just model
if you dont like 3 mouse button settings
youst double click on one lets say middle to
constrain it then use left mouse to move
double clikc outside in the space to return to
all axies ... really fast :)

cras
08-05-2002, 12:54 AM
:p Thank you keks for nice tip!
:drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.