PDA

View Full Version : Blender Requirments

Soon2bAnimator
07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
what are the minimum requirments needed on a computer as far as space and memory to use Blender?

bbirras
07-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Sometimes I do run blender succesfully on a pI mmx166mh with 32mb ram :) (while every other machine in the house is busy rendering)

You're lucky , because blender uses very little recources...
now don't expect to do a lot with that little ram, but you can allready do some small animations, which I later append to other , more complex scenes.

So no specs needed, but as in general: the more ram the better( I have .blends with 750mb), the faster the cpu, the better. one important thing: nvidia gra.cards perform much better with blenders openGL interface (and they have the MUCH better linux drivers)
:wip:
ati

sundialsvc4
07-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Blender's requirements are modest. I run on a machine with 512MB RAM, but you know, "chips are cheap, so why not?" The files tend to be large as all CG files are, but multi-gigabyte hard drives (have a spare!) are cheap too.

The renderer delivers very acceptable performance. Yet one of the very most important "tricks" I have found is that projects work best when you make very aggressive use of compositing ... render in layers (to individual .TGA or .PNG files with RGB_A_ selected) and then assemble the layers. Blender has a complete built-in video editor called the Sequence Editor. When you are dealing with a slower machine, as I do, it's very crucial to keep the problem simple so that the machine can turn out frames, or layers, quickly.

Soon2bAnimator
07-23-2004, 08:19 PM
thanx for all your info guys....right now im running bender on a G3 laptop with 333mb of Ram and it keeps crashing on me while opening i dont get it..i mean it seems like i have enough power to run it but for some reason its not working. it worked fine on my friends G4 laptop so i dont know what to think.

bbirras
07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
its propably an OSX specific prob.. depends on your version of osx, etc

did u try a different blender version? or maybe a testbuild for osx

Soon2bAnimator
07-24-2004, 05:19 PM
yeah i tried two diffrent versions of blender 2.2 & 2.3 if my memory serves me right, but still came up with the same result...actually 2.3 wouldn't even attempt to open 2.2 did and then just crashed before it completely opened up. I didn't try the testbuild for osx yet...you really think that might work?

Apollux
07-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I didn't try the testbuild for osx yet...you really think that might work?
Actually it could work. Anyways, when you are choosing wich testbuild to download, make sure that you download one for your OSX version, or the closest OSX number available.

lukep
07-24-2004, 11:09 PM
G3 333 mHz. Hmm
The problem is in the video card. Due to the way blender use OpenGL the absolute minimum is 8Mo of vram for latest versions. I think that 2.25, which should be still available at blender3d.org, can run in 4, but I'm not sure.

In any case, Try to run it in thousand of colors, it should work.

bbirras
07-25-2004, 03:15 AM
apple I have for breakfast
mac , once a year..usually fish mac, maybe a big mac.

but I actually prefer burger king....its like athlon...more 4 less

best thing you can do with the G3: putt it on sale before its to late!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.