PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS weirdness and bitches

kennb
07-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Occassionaly, Photoshop CS - in the middle of a brushstroke or similar - will stop responding - menu bar will dissappear, the message Photoshop is not responding will appear in the title bar - then a few seconds later it will return to normal.

> Can anybody confirm they have experienced the same problem?

After this type of pause... sometimes but not all the time - the keyboard will go into perma-caps lock - and the curser highlight will go into reverse.

> Can anybody confirm an experience of this type relative to the previous bug?

Colour picker needs 2 clicks to collect a sample.

> Can anybody confirm an experience of this type not relative to the previous 2 bugs?

I am running a dual Opteron with 4 gigs (3 gigs visible by system) with photoshop given 65% of the available ram in the preferences. I have deleted the prefs file to see if that helps but the problem still comes back. It is frequent enough to be mildly irritating. CS also feels a bit slugging all round which is pretty shocking as v7 ran like a fox on my Opteron.

thoughts? feedback?
kenn

SeVeR3K
07-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Dunno What it is maybe you use an illigal version so it got bugs or you got an virus :D

IanGuy
07-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Actually, I have that same problem too, and it is not an illegal version, as I got it direct from Bruce Chizen, the Adobe CEO (who is good friends with my father). The only thing is, after it temporarily freezes, mine returns tto normally, and is fully functionable. However it is annoying. Can anybody help, becuase this is really annoying?

Maven
07-24-2004, 11:29 PM
If you have more than 1 physical drive make sure your startup scratch disk is the disk which PS is not installed on then your second scratch disk can be your other drive.
I never had any of the problems with PS that you have mentioned and I have only 2G of RAM and a dual xeon 3.2 but my 2 drives are SCSI's.

SeVeR3K
07-24-2004, 11:51 PM
Iám runnin CS on an AMD 64 Bit FX Processor and dual 1gb memory banks
never had freezes and when the dual 64bFX mainboard comes out i buy that one so i think there will be no problem for it ''i hope so''

yerxa
07-25-2004, 04:17 AM
I've had mine freeze up and say "Not Responding" then go back to normal a few second later, I alway blamed it on the fact that I only have 240 MB of RAM on my laptop, but you've got way more then that, so there must be a glitch or something.

halo
07-25-2004, 11:14 AM
tried this

Windows:

Photoshop CS Adjusted Refresh plug-in now available

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2552

from the website:

The Adjusted Refresh plug-in addresses the time it takes to visually preview some filter updates in Adobe® Photoshop® CS. This plug-in reduces the size of the Photoshop image tiles. This causes the display to redraw in smaller pieces, reducing the time it takes to see the updated preview. The Adjusted Refresh plug-in will also reduce the initial scratch disk usage after you launch Photoshop. Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 gigabyte of RAM

Macintosh:

Photoshop CS Adjusted Refresh plug-in now available

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2551

from the website:

The Adjusted Refresh plug-in addresses the time it takes to visually preview some filter updates in Adobe® Photoshop® CS. This plug-in reduces the size of the Photoshop image tiles. This causes the display to redraw in smaller pieces, reducing the time it takes to see the updated preview. The Adjusted Refresh plug-in will also reduce the initial scratch disk usage after you launch Photoshop. Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 gigabyte of RAM

kennb
07-29-2004, 03:46 AM
"Note that overall performance may be reduced for users with multiple processors or more than 1 gigabyte of RAM"

That very statement has influenced me - NOT to install that update... running a dual Opteron with 4 gigs of ram. (PAE Enabled)

The scratch disk is located on a seperate partition from the Windows XP Pro OS. I have 4 SATA Seagate Barracuda's in Raid 0+1 config controlled by the onboard SIL3114 controller. OS Partition is 40 gigs - Secondary partition is 110 gigs. I tried running the Scratch disk off a 5th IDE ATA133 Quantam but to no avail. Same 'not responding issue' and then back to normal.

The keyboard issue has seemed to dissapear once I put my Logitech back on to replace the Illuminator series keyboard I was using. So... 1 problem solved.

I guess all I can do is document the specs and the problem and submit to Adobe as a bug.

Any other feedback on this issue?

kenn

michelengeltje
07-31-2004, 09:15 PM
he kennb,

nice setup! jealous! ;-)

that 'update' your talking about is just a single plug-in file which you have to place in the right directory manually, so it is easily reversible. So no harm in trying to see if it works for you!

Anyways my father is an ex.bf of The Pope and he says it's ok to try! so.. ;-)

greetz,
michelengeltje

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.