PDA

View Full Version : need some uv advice

derwolpertinger
07-30-2002, 04:05 PM
hi all,
maybe you could give me some advice on how to texture my model of this months challenge. well texturing isn't the problem, my main problem is how to map and uv unwrap etc etc.. this is the first time i texture a whole character with bodypaint. just follow the link in my signature to see the model so far. i just have to texture the skin. i made selections for the cloths and rings and so on cause i'll texture these with procedurals. so plz help me.

Grey
07-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Okay...

You're problem is unwrapping the UV or assinging material groups (selections)?

I'm a fan of using a standardized set of UV for any model.

Check out these maps:

HEAD http://www.daz3d.com/store/PoserTemplates/people/victoriaheadT.jpg
Body: http://www.daz3d.com/store/PoserTemplates/people/victoriabodyT.jpg

The great thing about these is that they're well unwrapped and comprehensive, so you can tell where everything is and match seams.

derwolpertinger
07-30-2002, 07:04 PM
assigning materials to selections is no prob.
my problem is how to unwrap the uv's of the skin so that i can texture it without distortions. i don't know if i should make several selections for the arms legs body and head and then cube map them. i tried it for one arm and it works good but not perfect. i have these ugly seams for sure where the arms turns into the body for example. or should i unwrap the complete mesh and uv map it. i'll check out your links now and see if i can learn from it. thx for the info ;)

derwolpertinger
07-30-2002, 07:08 PM
hmm-i don't quite understand how you use the uv pics on these links for your work. these are only pics and no uv information?:shrug: sorry, but as is said i don't know much about this issue.

kiwi
07-30-2002, 11:39 PM
I am not sure whether you have BP3d or not,but heres a BP3d tute which should be helpful even if you dont have the prog :)

http://interneteye3d.com/Tutorials/2001/Jan/BodyPaint/default.asp

And heres another one

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/type/tutorial.asp?id=23265

And just in case you dont have any unwrapping apps heres where you can get a really good program called Unwrapper

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Good luck :)

Stu.

derwolpertinger
07-31-2002, 01:25 AM
hey kiwi,
thx for the links but i already knew them. :( i'm using BP3D and i searched the whole web for a good tutorial on texturing a whole character but not one at all.
i also think that there are not very much bodypaint tuts out there. i ask myself why?

kiwi
07-31-2002, 02:13 AM
I think its because people do not realize that BP3d is on an even par with Deep paint.The other reason texturing tutes are very time consuming as a great deal of it is art theory.

Doh!!!! I missed that you use BP3d :hmm:

There must be lots of Deep paint tutes out there so maybe one of those could help you,just adapt what differs as it wont be to far out from BP3d :)

But ya I can see where you are coming from,where are the indepth full on BP3d tutes....thats what you are saying right?

Just do lots of experimenting and see what you can come up with.

Stu.

twilight
07-31-2002, 04:40 AM
Have you checked maxon's website? There's a Bodypaint 3D section in the tutorials. One of the tutorials is about "Fixing Seams" and they explain how to unwrap an UVW map and how to correct the distortions...

Maybe that's not what you need and you already knew it... but then again, nothing to lose...

hth

neilyb
07-31-2002, 07:10 AM
I would say model in the detail for the challenge, that way you have a better chance as it is a modelling challenge!
I also suffer the texturing blues, so for now anyway, don't texture.....

derwolpertinger
07-31-2002, 11:16 AM
thx for all the info so far!:thumbsup:

@kiwi: i'll search some tuts for deep paint now-good idea!

@twilight: i already checked those tuts. i think that maxon could also spend some time on writing some more tuts for bp3d. i think that lots of people would appreciate this.

@neily b: sure you are right and i have also already modelled the hell out of my BoB but modelling wrinkles on the skin would be a little bit too much work, don't you think? :D on the other hand my computer can barely handle the current models. adding polygons would kill him completely. :annoyed:

neilyb
07-31-2002, 11:28 AM
Hmmm, I know that problem. Trouble is we are up against pro's like Pascal Blanché who obviously have the right kit.....maybe we should have a beginners section as well as a pro section.....and maybe a Pascal section?

derwolpertinger
07-31-2002, 03:50 PM
well i think that it would be hard to define the border between the pro and am section then. who would decide where to participate? and i also think that it is kinda good that these pro's are participating in the same challenge cause it kinda pushes you to the limit.:D well, at least for me it is like that. don't know how others think about that.

Grey
07-31-2002, 09:09 PM
KIWI mispoke about BP3D being on par with Deep Paint...

it's actually more on par with Deep Paint + Texture Weapons... :D

derwolpertinger,

What you're looking at in those images IS the UV information off the DAZ Victoria model.

All you really have to do to get a good UVMap is to mimic it.

You don't use procedural shading on UVMapping, as it defeats the purpose of UVMapped meshes.

If you need more information on UVMapping, check out http://www.uvmapper.com

derwolpertinger
07-31-2002, 09:38 PM
hmm it seems like no one understands my problem.
i do know that the pics were screengrabs of the uv information and i also do know that procedurals have almost nothing to do with uv's. they just don't care about them. so i just wanna know how you guys unwrap the mesh for a whole character so that it is possible to paint him almost without distortions. i tested the uvunwrapping today morning on a head and distorted the mesh the best i could. it looks really clean but nevertheless i have a few annoying distortions. i'm not at home right now but i'll post a pic of the uv and the distortion tomorrow evening here. i hope i could clear some things up now. maybe it is my poor english that you don't understand me.:shrug:
so cu tomorrow :)

Grey
07-31-2002, 09:55 PM
In body paint you have the ability to edit the UV the same way you edit a mesh, only in 2D rather than 3D.

What I woujld do if I were you, is use these JPGs as templates, and manually unwrap the UV to match them.

Apply them as textures to do so.

kiwi
07-31-2002, 11:50 PM
Ah ok now I think I get it you are asking when you unwrap should you use cylindrical,uv etc?.....is that right?

Heres what I do....and this is probably not the right way to do it,so if I am way off please someone tell me ok.

I use interactive mapping and flat mapping for the sides after making selection tags for just the sides,then I use flat mapping for the top and also bottom using the same method but rotating on the b axis so I get better coverage on the top and bottom,then for legs arms etc again I use my tags and use cylindrical mapping.I also when have selected an area move that part of the mesh on the canvas,so that I have parts of the models uv in different places to aid painting.Where I have nasty blemishes or distortions is usually I find because I have missed including a poly etc in the selection tag.Then once the mesh is all ripped I use a selection tool and draw around the piece make it an individual color say blue and fill on a new layer,then make the next piece yellow etc and do the same...make sure you cut in nice and close though.Then I save the file as PSD,export to Photoshop,open in PS cntrl/com click the layers save the sections as channels name them and start painting :)

Is that what you were looking for?

PS anyone know of a good book on just unwrapping meshes and its methods etc?.....cant say I have seen one :)

I would also post a copy of unwrapped Dragon mesh from a while back,but now I cant :rolleyes:

Try this link....lots of tutes}

http://www.righthemisphere.com/community/tutorials/index.htm

Grey what sucks in DP....just curious :D

Stu.

Grey
08-01-2002, 12:13 AM
1, it's a memory hog
2. it's not user friendly
3. you have to have Texture Weapons to unwrap UV
4. it's too expensive

kiwi
08-01-2002, 12:22 AM
Ah ok.

I did some tutes on their site and It left me with the feeling that the difference between BP3d and DP is the 900 extra steps it takes in DP before you can paint compared to the 20 in BP3d :)

So how come they have such a large user base?{DP}...any ideas :) ...because I know BP3d sells like absolute hot cakes constantly :) I cant wait until its upgraded :D

What improvments would you be after in BP3d Grey?

Stu.

Grey
08-01-2002, 12:34 AM
start with some of the automatic edge tools you find in UVMapper, which unwrape edges on flat mapping.

I wouldn't add a whole lot of functions to it, in all seriousness. I like it as is.

It takes me two steps to paint anything in BP3D. create a texture (or apply one) then paint...

I don't want to comare it to a "low end" app, but one of the reasons I love PSP is because it's so simple to use. BP3D is like PSP in its simplicity. I don't think that's a mark of low end anything.

To me, what markes a Low End application is when it's difficult to use.

derwolpertinger
08-01-2002, 01:58 PM
hey kiwi, finally understood me!:)
thx for the infos, i gotta say that i wanted to do it like this but i wasn't sure if it is the best way. so now i'll start texturing. well, actually i'll start after the challenge's deadline. much to do till then. :D

kiwi
08-01-2002, 11:50 PM
Ya I am not sure if that is the right way myself or not,so its really the result of experimenting :)

Stu.

derwolpertinger
08-07-2002, 09:45 PM
a few minutes ago i started the uv work for my character that i wanna texture--and ran into the first problem. i made selections for the hands,arms,legs,feet,several for the head and a front and a back selection for the upper body. then i assigned the "skin" material to the front part of the upper body with flat mapping. now unwrapped it to create some uv's. it worked pretty good. well, then i wanted to assign the skin material to one arm with cylindrical mapping and unwrap again to get some good uv's for this arm. the damn problem is now that i have a few uv-tags. but i just want one. you know i have perfect uv's for the several parts of the body but they are located in different uv tags. :(
just to explain: i want to assign one material to the whole body which i can paint the skin on then. so one uv tag is sufficient. before i assigned the material to the several selections to unwrap the uv's correctly. well i really hope you understood me. plz help! :D

derwolpertinger
08-07-2002, 11:02 PM
ok already got it! :p interactive mapping was the solution to my prob.

derwolpertinger
08-13-2002, 01:08 AM
hey just wanted to show you my uv map. i'm pretty happy that i managed to do it. :) i had to pull a lot of points around to avoid texture stretching. so my only problem are now the visible seams. if somebody has a good advice on how to cover them plz tell me. well here's a screengrab of the uvs:

http://www.derwolpertinger.de/cgpics/uv.gif

and the current (early) state of the texture. it is just a colour map right now. for this pic i just used the colour map in the bump channel. but i''m going to make a seperate bumpmap for sure.

http://www.derwolpertinger.de/cgpics/ctex2.jpg

kiwi
08-13-2002, 02:39 AM
Hey nice uvs and model :thumbsup:

I have a half finshed Dragon I am kinda working on at the moment :)

Dont ripped UV maps make everything soooooooooo much easier :D

Stu.

huh?
08-13-2002, 08:27 AM
hehe,

i've got the same kinda threat started in the LW section... interesting.
maps look okay... I know they're alotuv work..

good luck..

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.