View Full Version : transportation render - sports motorbike

kerosene
12-16-2001, 09:15 PM
http://www.projectkerosene.com/aprilia/ram_etu600.jpg

http://www.projectkerosene.com/aprilia/ram_etu900.jpg
http://www.projectkerosene.com/aprilia/ram_taka900.jpg
http://www.projectkerosene.com/aprilia/ram_projektiot900.jpg

This has been posted also to highend3d.com

Here is a rendering of a concept sports motor bike designed and modeled by my friend Heikki Naulapää (Naulapaa). I did the renderings during the last couple of days.

The bike will be shown in a presentation this beginning week on screen. We will also create big panels and haven't yet rendered those images so if you see obvious flaws or have any suggestions to give - please let us know.

Few comments on the rendering and the bike. It was modeled in Rhinoceros 3D and then taken to 3D Studio to be rendered.
The model was created in solids (except the head light interiors) as an 1:6 rapid prototype will be made.

All renderings are done with max's native scanline in one pass (on transparent background though). Small glows, some tiny highlights and mild color adjustment was done in Photoshop.

The painted surfaces are raytrace reflective but metals not. As the model is pretty heavy with all its tiny details I will stick to reflection maps on the metal parts.
The lighting was made with two rows of softly shadowing spots, one extra row for back light and two extra lights for little fill.

The fill from under is now bit strong now as the images are meant to be on lighter surface (background is separate as mentioned).

So all comments are appreciated before we press the enter for the final ones.

By the way the designer guy - Heikki Naulapaa - is seeking challenges for the final work for his BA design studies. If there are design companies that think they could have interesting collaboration to offer he can be reached at:
hnaulapaa@hotmail.com
(bare with me for advertising)

heikki anttila

heikki.anttila@projectkerosene

AJ
12-16-2001, 09:23 PM
Superb model - and design (and render!)...

Incredibly tight work, can't fault the modelling. (Hold up "Rhino is the best" flag!).

It's a real shame that you you can't get a raytrace onto the metal though, since I think it will help it a lot... the environ maps in places stick out like a sore thumb, thought this is probably accentuated by the great look of the painted parts... ;)

Out of curiousity (and experience) - did you export the the model from Rhino as IGES? Or spit it out as a mesh...?

kerosene
12-16-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks.
Well I suppose I have to reconsider the raytrace issue. In my opinion the shiny sideparts would need it most. The rear light will be tuned up too.

Yeah Rhino is great in many ways - and fast.
But you question hit a weak point in max+rhino chain. The bike was tesselated to mesh in Rhino which isn't that felxible in process terms.
In max the nurbs tesselation in rendering is pain and avoiding gaps is a real problem.

heikki

nick
12-16-2001, 11:21 PM
Brilliant design, the render is very realistic and looks perfect for presentation purposes, the only thing that is a bit off putting is the shadow on the floor it looks a little messy, the render looks as if you used GI but you didnt so maybe im expecting super soft shadows under the bike, you could try using a light array semisphere that would give you the same sort of effect with softer shadows, for the paint work you could use a reflective highlight instead of a specular one but that would only work if you a raytracing your image. Ok im probably not explaining my self propally so im going to shut up now :) Great work though and very nice renders/design!

chrom
12-17-2001, 05:05 AM
wow this rocks dude
i saw your site, amazing works here

cheers
.chrom

Equinoxx
12-17-2001, 09:50 AM
That is just dang awfull fingerlicking good.
The modeling is superb, the lighting if possible even better and the overall image is thumbs up.

For the raytrace on the metal, try the local exclude or inlcude setting in max raytrace material, this way, you can define what it should include in the raytrace.

edmundw
12-17-2001, 10:09 AM
It is indeed a very cool model... It has all the detail for engine etc... But what about things like speedometer?? And how can i start the engine? =) I like the model a lot...

Martin-K-
12-17-2001, 10:23 AM
I like that a lot. is there any chance that you could make a larger render so i could have as my wallpaper?

ART
12-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Thats Sweet!!!

hottemp
12-17-2001, 11:57 AM
nice one! but how can you drive on it? very futuristic.

lildragon
12-17-2001, 12:18 PM
freakin wild!! it 's sweeeeeeeet, but how would one ride it, if you're muscular or a woman, that hump behind the handles would be torture :)

jonaz.dk
12-17-2001, 12:33 PM
just adding to the endless praise...

dudes.. that's godawful awesome!!!!

you guys are doing a great ****ing job..

and.. I want one of thouse!!
cheers..

Joebount
12-17-2001, 01:39 PM
Impressive ! The tires would need a bit more work on the texture INHO. I love the design and the rendering is excellent too. Maybee you should try with brazil or vray :-)

Disgusting
12-17-2001, 02:26 PM
Excellent work ... I don't need to say more. Keep it up!

parallax
12-17-2001, 05:19 PM
I want one.

Threedeemer
12-17-2001, 05:34 PM
Yes, this is a terrific bike design. I like the modeling it looks solid, like it has true weight. It would be cool to see vehicles like that on our roads already.

goodlag
12-18-2001, 12:46 AM
excellent work

great design

hottemp
12-18-2001, 08:23 AM
when we all are happt about that sports motorbike > why don't we make a petition, perhaps someome will build some of these bikes for a low price. :)

urgaffel
12-18-2001, 08:23 PM
Sign me up for one too :) Great design, modeling, rendering. Very good stuff!

EighthDecay
12-18-2001, 08:37 PM
all I can say is what everyone else said, But I'm not sure what problem your having with the IGES file format. Works great for me,, only a few Surfaces don't import at times,, because of trimming issues,, So I just 3ds export those parts,,,, because I think Max4 handles the nurbs nicely when rendered up. But what do I know.. =]

I like the design allot,, it reminds me of a military knd of thing.

anyhooo

y@

pinion3d
12-19-2001, 02:24 AM
That's a pretty sweet model!! Can't offer any real suggestions, maybe just raytrace! Keep it up...

rendermonkey23
12-19-2001, 02:35 AM
ummmmmm....when can I buy one?

paranoy2k
12-19-2001, 02:54 AM
Reeeeaaaaaaalllllly nice Moto!
I want one too!

JOAS
12-19-2001, 07:58 AM
I love it....heh, I had a dream last night I was riding that thing.....

it was nice.

sigma
12-19-2001, 08:04 AM
That is the sickest street bike i have ever seen. Nice concept.

Fat&ugly
12-19-2001, 01:53 PM
like it alot. will he animate it with a char, maybe?

MadS
12-19-2001, 04:34 PM
Wow! That is a very beautiful and elegant design. Fantastic choice of colors and very appealing style. I hate to be a Nay Sayer, but I have been studying that thing from every angle(that your renders have allowed) and I can't see for the life of me how that thing would turn the wheel right or left.

The side arms that look as if they would pull the wheel right or left would seem to only limit the rotation to about 5-10 degrees from the neutral starting position. I can see how that is all you would need in a very high speed velocity, but when you are going slower, it would be a pain to make a simple 11+ degree turn. Does that seem practical?

I guess the only way that I could believe it's plausible is if I saw it in action, and how the arms steer the front wheel. Anyway, it's still a badass piece of work. Truly inspiring.

-MadS

el gatto
12-19-2001, 05:50 PM
WOW :) exellent work !!!

ciao

kerosene
12-19-2001, 06:38 PM
believe it or not it does turn. at least +- 19 degrees.

http://www.projectkerosene.com/aprilia/turn.jpg

In the pic the small steering arms are in neutral position. Anyway you can see that there is enough room for the steering.
And yes the steering is quite weird as its pivot axel is tilted just like in normal suspension. And it probably isn't a dream bike when it comes to parking.
This kind of front end has been in production by bimota. check:
http://www.burningart.com/meico/motoproto/tesi.html

Hope that this clarified.
Thanks for all the comments. Mirrors and instruments... ...hhhmmm
Who needs them?
Seriously, Heikki Naulapaa left the mirrors off intentionally as most concept bikes are allways without them. The instrument panel was meant to be just in front of the chassis bar going accross the tank and front piece. As it would have broken the whole a bit it was decided not to be put into these images. If it went to production some good solution should be found.
Unfortunately I think that will never happen ;)

Again thanks for all the feedback.

heikki anttila

MadS
12-19-2001, 08:38 PM
Ahh, I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up. :) Does Mr. Naulapaa have a website of his own? And are you two thinking of working on a short film together?

Daxx
01-17-2002, 10:59 PM
It's a Real Motocycle? ^_^ What Price?

joe_snow_jr
01-18-2002, 01:55 AM
i have only one word to describe this image...

holy fricking christ up in heaven this is a sweet render.

joe

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.