PDA

View Full Version : LCD Display colors not 'normal' ?

Shak
07-22-2004, 02:50 AM
Hi guys,

I recently got my LCD ( Samsung 712N 17in ), and for some reason in Photoshop, all of the colors look .. different. The blues are totally off, and so is the simple gradient of black to white. It seems red-ish just before the black turns into a tray-ish tone. Am I having a case of new-guy-with-lcd or is there something really with my lcd? Anyway I should adjust this so it goes back to normal?

raz-0
07-22-2004, 07:10 PM
LCDs are not the best at color reproduction. As a rule of thumb, LCDs as a whole tend to blow out reds a bit. But all LCDs are different from each other, just like CRTs. CRts have LCDs beat for color reproduction.

For modeling or print, LCDS rule because they are MUCH easier on the eyes in general, which means a lot. For modeling, color repro isn't really important, and with print, you have to use proper color matching and the screen NEVER looks like the print output anyway, so who cares if it looks different than the last monitor?

Hardware calibaration of the LCD helps, but they aren't as good as CRTs for color reproduction as of yet. Getting better though. Odds are your monitor is fine, you just either have made the wrong choice for your needs, or just haven't integrated the changes you need to make into your processes.

mstieber
07-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Hi Shak,

I had a similar problem with my Samsung SyncMaster 191T when I first installed Photoshop CS. What I ended up doing was going to Edit... Color Settings. Then Change the RGB Value to "Monitor RGB - Samsung ICM Profile".

You might want to check your other color settings while your at it.

Marc Andreoli
07-22-2004, 08:34 PM
make sure you install the monitor 'definitions' (should come with the display on a CD), and in Photoshop, go to the color settings and select your monitor for the RGB working space...

did the trick for my Samsung 213T...

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.