PDA

View Full Version : Question: Parallel Canvas?

ChrisNoeth
07-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Is it possible in painter 8 to open two views of the same canvas? So that I can see one small version and have one zoomed version to work in? I use this in photoshop all the time.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Jinbrown
07-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Chris,

Painter doesn't allow us to see a full size dynamic view of the image in a second window like Photoshop does.

In Painter 8, there are three ways to view the image other than the image itself. Only one is a dynamic view:

File > Clone makes a flattened copy of the image. Not dynamic.

Click the Navigator icon in the lower left corner of the image window (looks like binoculars). This opens a small view of the entire image with a red rectangle indicating the area visible in the image window when you're zoomed in. Click and drag the red rectangle to navigate to another area of the image. Click in the image to close the small view. - Not dynamic.

Use Window > Show Info and you'll see a smaller view of the entire image that is dynamic and updates as you work.

Using the Info palette plus the File > Clone method with a Custom Palette containing three menu command buttons (Clone, Zoom to Fit, and Close) is the best way I can think of in Painter 8 to see your progress without spending a lot of time doing it.

http://www.pixelalley.com/jins_images/take_a_peek.jpg

Use Window > Custom Palettes > Add Command, choose File > Clone, then click the OK button. Repeat to add Window > Zoom to Fit. Repeat again to add File > Close.

Use Window > Custom Palettes > Organizer, highlight your new Custom Palette name (Custom -#), click the Rename button and type an appropriate name, then click the OK button. There's your handly little Custom Palette, that you can position anywhere that's convenient on the Painter screen. Click (Clone), click (Zoom to Fit), look, click (Close) and you're back to painting again.

ChrisNoeth
08-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your tip. It helped! ;)

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.