PDA

View Full Version : Good Day, Grig (3D)

73thPixel
07-21-2004, 06:49 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/93203/goodday_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/93203/goodday.jpg)

Environment: good day
Autor: Grig
3ds max, vray

73thPixel
07-21-2004, 08:18 AM
In this old room there live young people (not so probably rich), but they have found a few money to bank of a paint to paint a ugly rusty radiator and to buy some bottles of vodka that on ancient Russian custom "to wash" repair of an apartment:)

smooth
07-21-2004, 08:23 AM
i think the texture of the bed doesn't match with other things
do it with more dirty textures...

73thPixel
07-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Well I do not know... Any a bit too fine and strange remarks. That the battery pure, a bed not dirty...:rolleyes:

needed
07-21-2004, 10:47 AM
looks very good to me. how about a larger render ? i agree some things could be more dirty.. :)

EdHarriss
07-21-2004, 02:58 PM
- It looks great!
- I really like the trash can and the ceiling.
- The material on the TV case is a bit strange.
- The radiator is a little too "white"
- The bottles on the floor are a nice touch.

ambas
07-21-2004, 03:20 PM
it doesnt need to be more dirty

i think its perfect!

dooom
07-21-2004, 03:30 PM
the carpet is too flat, you have the corners flipped up but there is no wrinkles in it. I think the window is a little hot, very white. All the props seem seperated and not unified by anything. Some of the shadows seem too soft and things seem a little floaty. Everything seems perpendicular with the walls. maybe offset some of the things a tad to make it feel less steryl.

DDS
07-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Nice lighting! good one man

orion119net
07-21-2004, 04:29 PM
i envy your skill in lighting. one thing though, outside the window is too bright. other than that, great work!

Profane
07-21-2004, 04:45 PM
saw that on 3dtotal...great feeling coming out of this picture:applause:

pailhead
07-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Could you post some wires and some lighting setups for this masterpiece?

maddness
07-21-2004, 05:23 PM
i like the way the room filled with the sunlight, no complaints there. The reflection on the TV is a little too pronounced, most glares off televisions tend to suffer a lose of clarity and color by the time they reach such a distance.

good job otherwise.

3dg
07-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Good golly! That is a beautiful render. My only crits:

The rug is apparently brand new. (I guess they just bought it :) ) maybe if you pulled the saturation back a bit on the rug and on the blue blanket/sheet on the bed. These 2 items really stand out in an otherwise *PERFECT* render.

Incredible work. Great job.

Gary

andy_maxman
07-21-2004, 05:54 PM
nice texture and feel....

the shelf on the left wall......is there some shadow required there considering the direction of the light source?

Canadian_2K
07-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Critisism is easy, while doing something like that isn't... but perhaps that's why critisism is so helpful?

Well, here's mine:

1) I agree with the above posters as to the positioning of your objects. For a room which has a rug strewn in the middle, and bottles hidden underneath the furniture, it is far to aligned. Just a small, slight shift in the objects (not all, but enough to make it look 'lived-in') would do wonders, in my opinion. Maybe in the future, we'll have CG Artists do the big stuff in the scenes, and have dedicated teams assigned to chaos-ing the environment. You know, the little things that give away the cg, as opposed to believing it's real.

2) I like the brightness of the window, but, if you want to keep it that bright, might I suggest some glow coming from around the window? It just seems like something so bright would bleed into it's surroundings a bit, especialy if it was taken by a camera or such.

3) Perhaps tone down the colour on the bed. The carpet could quite possible just hae been purchased, but with the bed, in a room that seems so used (judging by the papers on the desk), you would assume he would wash his sheets at least enough to stay clean. Washing things makes them fade, and the colour on it currently seems far to new and untouched.

4) While the radiator might be fine, as rust just doesn't build up on metal for no apparent reason, perhaps putting some rust between the connections of the pipe, where water 'may' have leaked would be much more helpful to the scene? One thing that stands out in my mind would be rust coming from the pipe where it touches the ceiling, and making the ceiling rot a bit around that point from the water leakage?

Phew, that's pretty much it. Sorry to sound judgmental, the image really is great, but the little things are the easiest to fix, yet the hardest to miss, and they add so much. I hope it was helpful...

Maven
07-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Good Work! I like the wall textures also the floor is very nice.:thumbsup:

ty19345
07-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I like the feel of it~ :)
like others said~ if you are gonna make the whole room rusty, then excute it more...
I like those bottles on the floor, but for this stage....it is too CLEAN for me...
maybe tilt one of the frame on the wall...
maybe put a old-style phone on the table, kinda like someone is waiting for the phone call for a long time... it can be any reason.... (ex girlfriend? employer?) how do we know???

maybe you can put his girlfriend's photo on the wall or break the glass, write down some dirty words on the photo..... sorry! too much.... but now, we know~
my point is that you should add more element to achieve the feeling you want your viewers to feel~ The reason for adding more stuff is to set up a story, even it is just a still image.

Think about the concept that everything has some sort of meaning or purpose...
by doing that the viewer can read your design even deeper...
I think if you are gonna model a room like IKEA style, you won't do it like the way I said. you can fix some small stuff and find a good texture, and WOOWEE~ it's done!!
but if you are not going to that direction, show more personality and your own style....
I know u got the skills. :)

two small things to point out:
the overall lighting is good, I said I like the feel about it, but too bright for the window part.
isn't it too small for that sculpture compare to the the shelf. maybe it is small...I don't know~

good job~ :)

surrey_baller
07-21-2004, 07:32 PM
excellent work...everything looks fine to me.
no need for rougher textures at all, i reckon it comes together well as an oldish apartment thats well looked after.
the lighting works well also... it reminds me of one of those days where everything seems right in the world.

CourtJester
07-21-2004, 08:01 PM
That some elements are clean does not bother me, as it indicates that the folks living here may be poor, but nonetheless are doing their best to maintain things within their limited means. While some things might benefit from being textured in greater depth (like the radiator; these things often have twenty coats of paint on them, and that has a particular look), it need not be in a dirtier direction.

There are cheap rugs that have a rather rigid structure to them and tend to warp. The lack of wrinkles meant that sort of rug, to my eye.

I might suggest altering the floor surface a bit to reflect the traffic pattern; a bit cleaner in the middle where stocking feet have polished the wood more, a bit grittier underneath things where the dust accumulates.

Those guys saying that the window is too white have obviously never photographed a room like this. I for one, am always bothered when the windows are NOT overexposed. Remember, photorealism means "like a photo of reality", not like reality itself. Most films (and digicam CCD's) do not have sufficient exposure latitude to render outdoors and indoors at the same time.

Excellent work.

Rick Flowers
07-21-2004, 11:16 PM
showed it to my friend... told him it was some room my college buddy staying in... he was like.. "man that tv is so old.. i still have one just like it"

after about 15 seconds I told him it was CG and he was like.. huh?

Goes to show ya.. he just assumed it to be a real picture- there's absolutely nothing unrealistic about it.

Perfect.

ENIAC
07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
it looks pretty nice to me, but not realistic enough....
i would also like to see some wires

siye
07-22-2004, 12:50 AM
:thumbsup: ......................................

Bluebird2602
07-22-2004, 01:33 AM
I tell you what, I just got done putting up sheetrock all day today, and those textures are terrific. I am really curious as to what the hell that thing is next to the bed, and to what purpose it might serve for someone. The ceiling is something I don't see too many people work on in a stage/enviroment, and I think it adds a great deal to the space as far as the vibe of the place. It is a calm and quiet space with adequete lighting for sure. It is also somewhat of a intimate space being part-bedroom. The person who lives here, feels "on the go" quite often and doesn't spend much time there as well. I am curious though if this is a good day, then what might be a bad day to you in this space? Nice work..........

foxco
07-22-2004, 05:23 AM
wow thats gorgeos lighting and texturing. seriously good stuff, the only crit i have is that the TV screen could do with a bit of dust ;)

cheers
/fox

bash
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Nice! :)
Love the lighting! Nice to see a "dirty" room for a change.. ;) hehe..
Beautiful! :thumbsup:

Edit: BTW: I see theres just a hint of moire one the chair.. anyone have some tips on how to get rid of that?

Martin
07-22-2004, 11:58 AM
seems nobodie see befor old soviet tv box it looks right that , i renember this old electric washers ,,,in combo with washer comes a litle smaler centrofuga (sry for bad english) what bee placed on ruber torus because when it working it due lots of vibrations. radiators must ever bee painted because radiators is face of house :) lighting good , i like this work

KaDDD
07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
wow ! !exelent light ! !pretty textures !nice work man!

Nixon
07-22-2004, 03:52 PM
go go Vray, go go!

beautiful, just beautiful :)

have u tried any other renders on max? why is Vray your choice?

I'm kind of interested, cause the programmers are my friends and I'm actually thinking of becoming a "Vray certified trainer" :). But there'll be lots of learning to do. The upcoming version is going to be a huge advance.

Good luck anyway. Здорово, давай :)

Noodlz
07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
yeah man, yeahhhhhhh, like fully mannnn.... excellent!

yeluis
07-23-2004, 02:05 AM
veryy good work, how much render time?

ciccariello
07-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Nice, nice render... I really like the lighting, a bit blown out, that's what makes it so real, like you would really see it on a bright morning walking in from the outside. Details are outstanding.

Grig
07-23-2004, 08:41 AM
veryy good work, how much render time?render 3 hour 45 min
2 light source- Targe directional light (basic)
- Vraylight plane(auxiliary) established in a window an aperture

JustinAlvarez
07-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Wow! Amazing work. Well done.
I think maybe the reflection in the tv could possibly be toned down a bit but other than that it looks fantastic! Only wish i could do something like that.

YasushAzush
07-23-2004, 10:08 AM
i wish i was on that room and lay down on that nice shiny sun.
good job .

gsuttor
07-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Why do people expect the world to be completely old and dirty?

Dirty-ing up objects don't make them more realistic.

Is it just to put your opinions forward? I don't know, I don't think any of the suggestions would make it 'better', just more status quo.

This is a fantastic piece and people should enjoy the contrasts in the image. :thumbsup:

Saikin
07-24-2004, 02:09 AM
this is very very good...only prob is that the bed's blanket is too blue for the rest of the image...nice enviro though

Garde
08-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Grig,

Extremely beautiful render. Lighting looks incredible. Well, actually that means CREDIBLE, it's just incredibly good. And I think the objects are dirty enough. Carpet is brand new but why wouldn't it be... it's nice to have new things some times :)

Some minor tweaks would't do harm, so here's some ideas...
Somebody mentioned that the blue blanket on bed looks too saturated and I agree with that. But it's just a little too blue, so I wouldn't change it much. It can be new as well as the carpet. I think the reflection on TV screen is fine but maybe screen itself could be a little less dark. They are kind of grey aren't they? And there's some light bouncing of the walls to show it...

Only thing that really bothers me is the radiator which look somehow flat. But maybe it's just different kind of radiator that I'm used to.

Don't mind my comments too much... Bottom line is that this is one helluva render and I'm really envious. Can I now go out to that warm summer sunshine, please? ;)

P.S. It would be great to see a little bigger render if one exists. This has so much beautiful detail that suffers from small size and jpeg compression...

beeng
08-07-2004, 10:29 AM
Excellent job, comrade!

Although our compadres seem to dislike the contrast of your colour choices I myself think they're quite appropriate. Living spaces are always works in progress; When I first saw this image I thought: poor student with a few hand-me-downs/gold finds, but knows when and where to spend cash to make a nice clean place to live.

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this; but the room isnt modern, is it?
Everything has that 70s feel to it, but everything's new. That and the commie poster...

Anyways; Good job; I wouldn't change much.

Grig
08-07-2004, 04:01 PM
I thank for the comments.
Can you be right that the blanket has strong contrast
And is not entered in a little stage, though earlier at me was
Such dark blue blanket therefore I have chosen this shade.
The radiator though also seems white actually he has yellowish
The shade with a rust, truth on small картинке it is not visible,
Likely it was necessary to make a rust more sated,
The screen of the TV certainly should be grey but I have made
By his(its) darkly green:)...

Searcher
08-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Very nice enviroment, i see there is a curtain rail, why isn't there a curtain? Laundry day? If i was living in that room, i would like a curtain to cut out the light. Other than that great job.

viworm
09-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Great textures, and excelent light! I think the blue bars of the bed should be changed, and the radiator (togheter with the pipes) should be more yellow. Otherwise, great job!

cryptosporidium
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi man... looks really nice! Im interested mainly in lighting. Im working on similar scene now and still cant reach proper lighting. Did you use only sunlight + GI or also some extra lights to improve it? Are there any post-touches or its pure rendering? Thanx for reply.

chenxuan
07-27-2005, 12:19 PM
The story is very intersting.very summy.I like your picture.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.