PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Rens Heeren

Rens
07-21-2004, 02:34 AM
I've decided to join you guys in the sandbox :thumbsup:

I went for a walk last night and I came across a secret , old, cold war laboratory... ok. In it were some files about using monkeys as siege weapons. I won't go into detail, ofcourse, but I've decided that this is a good place to test the awesome power of the Trebuchet Super Monkeys.

Here is a picture and a short movie of my first steps into this vast and very obscure realm:

Cool picture -> here (http://www.am-ende.net/3dmax/images/treb/concept_01.gif)

Movie (DivX, 225 KB) -> here (http://www.am-ende.net/3dmax/movies/treb/TSM_01.avi)

What you see in the picture as "hole for lead" is actually a hole for getting lead in. The molten lead is being poured into the head to give more 'padding' to the monkey's south end.
It is the counterweight.

The monkey has no face yet.

The Trebuchet Super Monkey will hurl a smaller, regular sized monkey (the large one is about 10 m. / 30 ft. tall). Since the cold war is over its main task will be picking random fights and putting put an end to crime world-wide!
So what we'll have is the monkey hurled through the air and crashing through a brick wall, knocking down a criminal holding up an old lady.

Ok, I'm working with max 6 and reactor. I was planning on using SimCloth3 but reactor has more controls for this type of simulation.

I have a few more surprises queued up, will post again tomorrow.

- Rens

FiendishVegan
07-21-2004, 05:18 AM
LOL. Very creative and twisted...I like it. Can't wait to see the finished producted. :thumbsup:

Rens
07-21-2004, 11:59 AM

I will have some more tonight.

A few things I came up with, but haven't tried yet. I thought they could also be of use for you guys:

- In reactor there's an option to use a proxy mesh instead of the original mesh. That means it will use another mesh for the calculations. If you have the problem of seeing through your wall because of the collision tolerance distance you could use a proxy mesh which is made smaller in all three directions equal to the collision tolerance. This way your bricks should fit perfectly.

- For the release of the trebuchet you could make a pin and a 'hammer'. The pin keeps the arm down and when you hit it with the hammer (from the side) the pin will shoot out and release the arm. Good for dynamic setups.
You could try something similar for the release of the second rope if you're using two ropes for the sling. Maybe make something snag behind a hook which then will release the rope.

-Rens

veanova
07-24-2004, 10:09 PM
Hahaha, I can't wait to see this one in action ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.