PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 9: Panda - WW1 German Flame Trooper

Serul
07-20-2004, 11:25 PM
This topic is just too much fun to pass up on (even though I am swamped in work :banghead: ) Which reminds me, thanks for the two month deadline :D .

Anyway, I had a couple of ideas for animals but eventually choose the panda. But then I had no idea of what uniform to put him in untill my friend suggestd a WW1 German Flame trooper, with the large trenchcoat, gloves, gasmask and flamethrower... and I thought that's it!

So that's what I'll be making, an evil panda with a flamethrower :D .

Concept sketches coming up!!!

Serul
07-21-2004, 12:05 AM
The panda basicly, still working on the uniform...

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_concept01.jpg

RasTuS
07-21-2004, 05:08 AM
dude thats a cool model sheet

cant wait to see what the uniform looks like

Serul
07-21-2004, 09:59 PM
This is pretty much what he's going to look like. Found some good photographic reference for his gear and outfit to supplement the overall design, so it'll look relatively realistic (although Panda sized :D ) when I'm done.

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_concept02.jpg

dubge
07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Pandasize away my man. that looks great. can't wait to see it in 3D.

RenierBanninga
07-21-2004, 10:53 PM
ooooohhhh

yes yes evil
Dr von Luptenschtine ve shall rulez ze vuld with ow Panda twoopa armies!
JA JA

hehe

I like it alot
I'll keep an eye on this one for sure :)

Matt
07-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Make the parts of the panda that are supposed to be black, red... So it looks more Nazi.

Serul
07-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Interesting idea, however there were no nazi's back in the first World War. Just normal Germans :D . Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anyway this nights update. Currently at 770 poly's (the other 4 are for my image planes ;) )

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_mdlwip01.jpg

Devised_Poly
07-22-2004, 03:35 AM
I really like this idea. I never would have thought the cute panda could be so evil. Great concept, and the model looks like it coming along nicely. Keep it up!

Miroku
07-22-2004, 03:45 AM
This looks great so far! good job. I really like the proportions you're using.

kinkypuss
07-22-2004, 08:30 AM
nice concept.. can't wait to see this guy lighting up stuff.. :D

Serul
07-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Update!!! :D

Modelled the head which is pretty much finished, I really liked how that turned out, kinda suprised myself there for a moment :surprised ... anyway and I fidlled with the body topology a bit more.
Next up are the arms and hands (god I hate modelling hands :banghead: ), tweak the legs and feet. Then I'll start on his gear. And oh yeah... he's about 1092 poly's right now.

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_mdlwip02.jpg

PhillipCrond
07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Yes! Very nice! This will look fantastic with a flame particle effect and an orange light at the tip of the thrower, casting a nice glow all over. There's a guy who did some really nice dirty fur for a game texture, you might want to check it out for reference. Go to realtimecg.com, and click on last month's winner, the furry looking goat man.

Keep it up, man!

Equinoxx
07-22-2004, 08:40 PM
that's looking pretty slick man. very good looking for such a low polycount.
( I definitely got something to learn in that departement, mine's boasting bout twice that amount and doesn't look all that better LOL )

A real dutchman or an international in the netherlands ? ( i read there's 7 cultures & six language in your studio ;))

anyhoo, looking great so far, keep on trucking.

cheers.

Serul
07-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Brent Turbo: Thanks. :) And thanks for the link, awesome modelling and texturing there. The dirty fur is something to consider.

Equinoxx: Thanks aswell. Completely Dutch actually and the only one at the moment, the rest of the company came from other countries.

Serul
07-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Alright another update for today...

Added the gasmask, gloves and tweaked some more topology. About 2110 poly's so far.

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_mdlwip03.jpg

Ugh, I hate modelling hands...

LeeSalo
07-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I really like what you are produceing dude! it looks great and i have nothing bad to say

LoTekK
07-23-2004, 12:06 AM
Awww, sweet! This is looking better and better. The topology looks sound (except maybe the armpit area? not sure, though), great silhouetting, and I just love the proportions. :applause:

RenierBanninga
07-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Gas mask Panda OWNZ. Yes this sucker is looking sweet.
I can hear them marching through the bamboo forests torching the place... ahh yes it is beautiful.

Grorum
07-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I like it ! Your Panda killer's style is awesome man, good modeling ! keep it up ! :)

Devised_Poly
07-24-2004, 09:13 AM
This guy is gonna look like a natural born killer with the textures, i just know it! No complaints so far:)

Neil
07-25-2004, 04:33 AM
my concern is that panda's are distinctive by the color changes on their chests and their faces. But if you put a jacket and a mask on it. Won't it just look like a bear?

Serul
07-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Thanks all for the commments!

Neil: A valid comment, I'm hoping he will be recognizable enough when I got him textured. If not... I'll have to figure something out I guess.

For now here's another update. Modelled pretty much everything already, just need to finish the coat and I'm thinking of remodelling the hands because I'm not really happy with them.

Polycount: 3477 (but there is room for quite a bit of optimization.)

AndyH
07-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Dammit! Soooo many good entries!
I have about 6 favourites! Its gonna be sooo hard to judge (if everyone submits in time, that is!)

Looking great - no crits whatsoever, though Neil has a point when he brought up the issue of the pandas spots being hidden....

Hmm.... have a think about it

obelisk
07-25-2004, 11:24 AM
looking great, but I agree with Neil and Andy H on the panda specifics. Maybe the mask (and goggles) could replicate the colour scheme we assocciate with pandas. Could be a neat workaround. But yeah, the jacket should at least be open at the front so we know what we're dealing with. And maybe [more to the point] so that the irony central to your concept shines through.

keep truckin'

Serul
07-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Andy H: Thanks! I should be able to finish this in time, don't foresee too many problems with my schedule and all. :)

obelisk: Thanks aswell! Actually my friend that suggested this oufit, suggested at first that I should leave the jacket open. I decided not too... might have to change that now. :) Don't know about the gasmask following the panda's colourscheme, but it's something to look into.

What you're able to see now of the panda is his white face and neck, black ears, black feet and a little of the black around his eyes through the goggles.

Thanks for the comments, keep 'em coming!!! :D

Serul
07-26-2004, 01:15 AM
Again with an update... pretty much done, still need to remodel the hands. Poly's 3474. Still some room left there. ;)

Anyway originally I had the coat buttoned up really tight around his neck and waist, so you would pretty much not see anything of his chest or pelvic area. I thought about and tried the open coat thing but didn't really like where it was going, so I compromised. :D
Furthermore I gave it a basic colourscheme that I wanna go for, any comments on that?

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_mdlwip04.jpg

Ah well... :)

AndyH
07-26-2004, 07:02 AM
Great job with the coat - improves it a lot.
He still doesnt look toooo panda'ry - maybe a fur texture would help towards this.
No crits on the geometry - why remodel the hands? other than the japanese offending 3 fingers and thumb setup, i think they look fine! Maybe bridge the gap between the glove and the coat - you have a hole in your mesh.
Get started with the mapping!

RenierBanninga
07-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Japanese offending 3 finger setup? curious, how is it offending? some culture thing?

the model looks good though. But i agree, the hands could use a reworking. kinda boxy looking even though they have alot of detail spent on em.
Overall EEVVVIIIILLL.
Should look sweet once its got a texture slapped on its.

AndyH
07-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Japanese offending 3 finger setup? curious, how is it offending? some culture thing?
Yeah - People with less than the standard 4 fingers and thumb setup (as well as tatoos!)are frowned upon in japanese society because they represent the yakuza (organised crime syndicate in japan) When shamed, they cut off a part of a finger, or even the whole thing!
I worked on 3 animated series at my various jobs, and in all of them, no matter how cartoony the designs are, they all had the full amount of fingers to make it more marketable to other countries!
I dunno exactly HOW offensive this is, because after all - the simpsons and loads of other cartoons are sold to Japan.

Ah well - enough jibba jabba - Keep it up Serul!

ElysiumGX
07-26-2004, 05:24 PM
I find most anime offensive, and for that matter, almost anything from Japanese media offensive...if not completely lame and silly. No offense. Maybe we need an effort to close the gap between Japanese and English speaking culture. I never heard about the 3 finger situation.

This panda looks great. Well done.

AndyH
07-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I find most anime offensive, and for that matter, almost anything from Japanese media offensive...if not completely lame and silly Tsk tsk - im dissapointed...
Im the opposite - i love everything japanese! Everyones entitled to their own opinion though - im just surprised that you find the whole japan style thing lame and silly! Its kinda cool and 'in' right now, what with kill bill, anime etc...

Anyway - enough bickering from us - let the man work!

ElysiumGX
07-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Alright alright...before I'm forced to eat my words. I liked Kill Bill, and I love Spirited Away. I said most...not all. But to a certain degree I stand by my opinion.

I missed the color scheme the first time. This is going to be a great entry...and so much time left in the competition.

Serul
07-27-2004, 12:08 AM
The final mesh. Quite a few changes made, remade the hands, gave him five fingers now ;) (I actually do like it more like this :) ), added two nails on each foot, changed some meshflow here and there, added a few details and optimized the hell out of it. It ended up being 3494 poly's, got 6 left, maybe I'll use them, just don't know how yet, but we'll see.

For now, UV mapping time!

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/Panda_finalwire_comp_sm.jpg

CLICK FOR HIRES (http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/Panda_finalwire_comp.jpg) warning! ~450Kb

Oh and he's been dubbed... "Propaganda Panda" here at the office :D .

proudclod
07-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Wow! Awsome work! I love it... Can I just say that it's almost perfect? I really love it... The coat adds so much to his character... Can't wait to see the texture!

AndyH
07-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Wow! Looking great - the most impressive model shown in the comp so far!
His hands look better - i wasnt expecting you to actually go ahead with the 4 fingers though - nice one! I did kinda like the squarish fingers better - they looked more meaty than these rounded ones - but thats just me being picky.
Intresting poly flow on his coat flaps - any particular reason why you went with this flow rather than the usual 'cylinder' method?
Excellent looking work so far - hope you do as good a job with the maps as you have with the mesh.

ehulser
07-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Hey, really nice work Serul. I like how its coming along...can't wait to see what you do with the texturing. Only one comment, and it could be wrong, but from the pictures it looks like there is are one or two floating points on the jacket...at the bottom where the two connect. It could be just from the capture, but if not its proly eating into your count. Keep it up!

LoTekK
07-27-2004, 05:04 AM
Wow! This has gone from good to great to positively fantastic! Now I really can't wait to see this biatch textured up. :thumbsup:

DaemonMagus
07-27-2004, 07:15 AM
You need to cool down a bit man, at this rate I'll never win! I love it so far, from the idea to the execution.

PhillipCrond
07-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Intresting poly flow on his coat flaps - any particular reason why you went with this flow rather than the usual 'cylinder' method?
I like how he's done that, as well. Makes for very clean deformations with clothes that hang over the legs...

Slythis
07-27-2004, 09:03 AM
i love it, awesome stuff man!

Serul
07-27-2004, 10:10 AM
proudclod: Thanks! I can't wait to see the texture either :D.

Andy H: Thanks! That's actually what I didn't like about the fingers, they were too square-ish (and 6 sided for that matter) and they were sort of rushed. As for the polyflow, Brent Turbo pretty much said it, makes for very clean deformations around the legs... well that's the theory anyway. I mean the only thing I really did was swap the visibility of the edge flows, the cylindrical one is still there it's just not visible. But it looks nice :) .
Oh and thanks for that very interesting bit of information :) .

ehulser: Thanks! If I'm correct about what you're pointing out, then that's just from the capture. As these screens are taking directly from my viewport, some weirdness will occur due to the rendering of the mesh.

Brent Turbo: Yeah... that's the theory anyway. :D

LoTekK/DaemonMagus/Slythis: Thanks all! :D

Isabelle
07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Great modell!
Every poly looks right and necessary!

Just one thing. How will you show its a panda and not a polarpear, whith all his spots hidden?

funkyrayuk
07-27-2004, 01:24 PM
looking good, definatley one of the top contenders- and you haven't even done the texture yet- looking forward to seeing it completed.

mttjss
07-27-2004, 05:42 PM
nice!

definitely reconsidering even starting after this, but since theres no prize, I will keep going..

really like it.. seems good enough for a game as a main character...nicely done!

now the texturing....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RO
07-27-2004, 09:52 PM
sweet!

Nuff said :)

DaemonMagus
07-27-2004, 10:15 PM
mttjss: There is a prize, a free prima strategy guide of your choice.

Serul
07-28-2004, 12:48 AM
There's an actual physical price now? Sweeet!!! :bounce: Hadn't noticed that before.

Isabelle: I guess it's still a bit hard to see without a texture, but I believe it'll look fine when the textures are done. Quite a few of the panda's colours are visible just not as much on the face because of the gasmask. And since the gasmask is part of the character I'd rather not remove it... it just looks too damn cool! :D

funkyrayuk / mttjss / Desp#2/Rog: Thanks!!!

UPDATE:
Started on the UV mapping of everything, I know... not really exciting :surprised . Got most of it done though, just the coat, gloves, and mask left.

Serul
08-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey guys, it's update time! :)

Finished the UV mapping couple days ago and today I tried out a few colour schemes for him. So far I like this one the best, the cours feel like they are form an old photograph... or maybe I'm just crazy :D .

Anyway just a basic colour blockout for now.

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_texwip_01.jpg

Serul
08-02-2004, 03:28 PM
After receiving my new screen today and looking at that picture again, I realize the colors are wrong. It should be more green instead of the brown grey tones.

Oh well, I'll have to fix that.

VinceB
08-03-2004, 01:06 PM
i liked the colors :D

Isabelle
08-03-2004, 02:37 PM
It shows quite well that hi is a panda in the latest image I think.

Looks nice!

dubge
08-03-2004, 05:19 PM
great job man. i think i found my fav.

Pezz3D
08-03-2004, 09:11 PM
This is just an awesome model man, wow. I love it.

dacheese
08-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Very nice mesh, what r u going to do with the textures? the colors are okie but it could be better.

Good luck and well done again

AndyH
08-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Hows the texturing going serul?
I dont think ive seen any examples of your texture work - if its anything as good as your modeling, then this should look great

Serul
08-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Not good I'm afraid :sad: . I've been really busy with work lately, so much even that when I'm done I usually have no desire to work on anything anymore. I'm hoping I'll be able to free up some time soon, so I can finish this be fore I loose interest.

Sometimes I work on things too long and I loose interest and I don't finish it. :sad: This will be(hopefully) not the case I like this character too much.

DiMENSiON
08-09-2004, 05:48 PM
I hope you finish this guy, he's really original, and looks great.

TRyanD
08-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Sometimes I work on things too long and I loose interest and I don't finish it.
Me 2 :(

I hate it, but if i cant finish something in a few days it most likely never gets done >_< Sometimes i come back to stuff a few weeks/months later though which is ok lol.

I burned out the braincells that are required for hard work and concentration rofl.

Neil
08-10-2004, 01:56 AM
I've actually tried finishing models that at 2 or 3 years old. Only to realize that i see so many things I need to fix/change that I basically end up starting all over ;)

I'm on LCD now and no matter where I look at my work, it always look slightly different. I really hate it with light/dark areas, not so much color. Some monitors crank the brightness others don't... so you can't really ever judge what is black and what isn't.

Serul
08-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Good news I have continued with the texturing, although very slowly for now. :D

Anyway for those who are interested here is the unwrapped model, I already have done some texturing work but that's for a later update. Left is the main body which will be the 1024 one, and right is the flamethrower the 512 one.
http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_unwrap.jpg

Jamaludin
08-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Man this is a sweet looking entry, great work, great model, cant wait to see it textured. Hopefully im not hijacking this thread by asking how do you get such a clean unwrapped uvw map, modelling is going fine but as soon as it gets to unwrapping, things get messy. But looking great, waiting for more updates, good luck !

guereja_1
08-12-2004, 03:28 PM
ooooh i LOVE the concept. it seems pretty cool. can't wait to see it finished. it's coming out real nicely. PLEASE don't loose interest. this is an extremely good model!

mindrot
08-12-2004, 08:31 PM
This will be sweet... looking great so far :thumbsup:

Serul
08-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Hi guys, still working on it every now and then. Still mostly wip of course...

Anyway...

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_texwip_02.jpg

Any suggestions or comments are welcome! :)

Hmura
08-21-2004, 06:00 PM
WOW good work m8.
Excellent low poly modeling. The textures are coming along nicely as well. Can't wait to see the end result.
:thumbsup:

Embryosys
08-23-2004, 06:17 AM
looking awesome man, keep it up.

Serul
08-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks guys! :)

Again a small update, worked a bit on the fur and some other details. The texture on the coat was very quickly done and was more intended as a quick fix to get rid of that flat color. Anyway...

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_texwip_03.jpg

Anybady have any good advice on how to paint brass or other metals??? I have some ideas but I'd like to see what other people think.

Embryosys
08-25-2004, 10:57 PM
looking sweet man!

maelefic
08-26-2004, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys! :)
Anybady have any good advice on how to paint brass or other metals???Ok here's my take on brass: You have a highly specular, maleable material with a fairly high oxidation capacity. With that in mind (in Photoshop) for your base colour, select a brass colour (duh) and throw in a darkened black monochrome noise (muck around with some filters overthat) on a separate layer.

On a new layer, start painting scratches (using an darken layer filter), and underneath that create a 'shadow crease' for these scratches. Do similar for dents - you'll notice that with it's rather high maleability, brass dents easily so go mental with different brushes. try to emulate where it's hit flat or cornered surfaces, and they tend to be the more pronounced. I tend to do the scratches first as the dents will distort these scratches, but scatches will occur after denting (more or less) so add a few more.

Once that's done, on a new layer (lighten filter) create some highlights off these dents and scratches. These will vary in width from the depth of your dent/scratch. This goes above the dents layer, using a lighten layer filter. You don't neccesarily need to use white, I tend to find that using a hue brighter than the brass hue is more effective.

Because (I'm assuming) you're dealing with a man-made object, it would be machined to some extent, so maybe some lathe lines or something of the ilk. These should be really subtle and use a darken layer filter with a dropped opacity. Oh yeah, put it underneath the dents layer.

Make another noise map (dark green), and use a layer filter over the top to emulate oxidation (I'd suggest which filter, but I don't have PS on this comp [at work], Overlay filter should work I think). Apply a layer mask to make it look like its embedded into some of the scratches etc.

Finally, on a new layer, start painting in rub marks. These are bits where the metal has been brushed against something - whether once or continually depends in the local environment of the object. Once you've pinted these in, do a layer select and go through your alteration layers and start erasing pits appropriately, using a low opacity brush.

Hide your working rub painting and save out. Voila!

Dang, gotta get back to work, HTH Mælefic out :D

Serul
08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
maelefic - Hmm... yeah thanks. That should help out quite a bit. Thanks again. :)

Serul
09-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Thought it was about time for an update again...

The Panda's texture is pretty much done with the exception of the coat and a few sections that I need to tweak a bit more... And then of course there's still some work to be done on the flamethrower.

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_texwip_04.jpg

ElysiumGX
09-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Oh man, those eyes are spooky. Get this baby submitted soon!

Serul
09-05-2004, 01:29 AM
UPDATE!!! :)

Finished the panda itself, working on the flamethrower now...

Any comments on the textures, before I finalize everything?

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_texwip_05.jpg

Is rigging/posing the character a requirement? I can rig, just don't know if I have the time though...

AdamAtomic
09-05-2004, 05:07 AM
thats really kickass man. the red trim on the coat really helps it stand out. i love the crazy eyes, and the shoulder stripe thingies (i'm sure they have a name cant remember it) are a very nice touch. I think maybe the toenails and coat wrinkles could stand out a little more, but thats the only things i see. i really like it!

Oldbean
09-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Great stuff :thumbsup:

I don't think you have to rig it, I think that's just to get a better beauty render but it would be worth rigging anyway. Even if you do it after it's been submitted.

ElysiumGX
09-05-2004, 04:47 PM
UPDATE!!! :)
Is rigging/posing the character a requirement? I can rig, just don't know if I have the time though...

You don't have to rig, since you character is designed at a relaxed stance. Some entries look better when they're not stiff in a "jesus christ pose", the Russian Raccoon entry for instance. I prefer creating with the arms down somewhat.

I agree with Adam about the toenails and coat wrinkles. Maybe add a little touch up and call it finished.

KolbyJukes
09-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Nice work man, I really like your entry.

Serul
09-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the support and feedback! :)
I enjoyed this comp a lot, thanks ElysiumGX for setting it all up.

Some things still. Some parts on the texture (wrinkles mostly) could have been done a bit better, but I'm gonna have to practice and read up about that a bit more. didn't have the time for it this time.

Anyway good luck to all that participated and on to the next challenge!!! :D

ElysiumGX
09-06-2004, 04:44 AM
Is there anyway you can do a quick rig of him holding the flame thrower with a background image...and insert if into your submission post? Say, before Tuesday?

If it would trouble you...don't worry about it.

Serul
09-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Hmm... Yeah I should be able to do that... I can't make any promises though :)

Serul
09-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Well I posted a posed render shot of the panda in the submissions thread. I have to thank ElysiumGX for given me the oppertunity to do that... so thanks! :D

THE FINAL RENDER

http://www.streamline-studios.com/jeroen/GAC9_render.jpg
updated the picture because I noticed I forgot to turn on 2-sided textures... sorry :blush:

NileshXYZ
09-15-2004, 02:35 PM
nice just plane nice. Somehow i think its a german panda, be the look of clothing. I like the concept to 3D, glad to see this work. maybe make the tip of the thing panda his holder dark, if fire comes out of it. ohh ya bring on the fire! like to see this with the fire turned on

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.