PDA

View Full Version : Animation Session 8 - Phone Call - July 20th > August 10th

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Hi Everyone ,

This time there is no pause between the animation sessions.

This sessions theme is: Phone Call

Rules:

- Have your character react to a phone call. He has to react to the ringer , and has a emotion change while on the phone. Emotion change examples: happy to angry , disinterested to interested , etc) The animation has to have a conclusion , meaning do not finish the anim when he is talking on the phone. no unfinished animations please.

- Since we are not using sound , do NOT worry about lip synch. your character doesnt even have to talk if you choose to do so. the focus is body acting more than lip synch.

-Location can be anywhere. (park , house , bedroom , space station , etc)

- Animations can be between 10 - 30 seconds.

- Modelling should be kept to a bare minimum , no need for detailed environments and texture maps.

- You can use pre-rigged characters

- No camera cuts. The camera has to be static.

- No need for lighting/rendering. Playblasts are acceptable , the focus of this session is animation so do NOT hide the character by making a dark scene.

- NO Sound

- This session starts July 20th and goes until August 10th.

- Please post all your WIP's in this thread for critique.

- Animation done prior to this session is NOT acceptable. please create new animation for this session.

- WIP and Final animations should be 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 , using quicktime with sorenson 3 codec. Try not to use DIV-x since there is no way to scrub the animation and it makes giving critiques that much harder.

- You can post any questions you have about the session in this thread .

-----------------------

Best of luck to everyone !

Ali

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 08:59 AM
ehehe

cool ideA!!
as usual!

good

Kricket
07-20-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm in! :) Hopefully I wont cut this one as close to the deadline as the last session :thumbsup:

John Lee
07-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Ok i'm gonna do this one this time. I'm a big time slacker

Kricket
07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Are we restricted to 1 character or can we use more than one?

I want to animate this character:
http://demented3d.com/3d/kat.jpg

Talking on her cell phone while taking her pet demon on a walk.
http://demented3d.com/3d/demon.jpg

As the conversation goes from good to bad she'll start yanking the leash unconsciously and put the critter through some pain. Or keep him from a fire hydrant. not sure yet. :twisted:

deadline
07-20-2004, 09:29 AM
do we get cookies if we do good job?

steverage
07-20-2004, 09:35 AM
OK im gonna actually try and finish this one... Count me in :)

deadline
07-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Ok. Serious question. Can a character react to a phone ring, but end up NOT picking up the phone, or it has to have some form of conversation?

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 09:41 AM
SERIOUS question: I've a character from AlienZ project , already rigged.

Can I use it ? or it could be considered as "to take advantage"... ??

MrWyatt
07-20-2004, 10:14 AM
SERIOUS question: I've a character from AlienZ project , already rigged.

Can I use it ? or it could be considered as "to take advantage"... ??

this should answer your question

- You can use pre-rigged characters

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 10:19 AM
ok ok :) :D

erilaz
07-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Can dynamics be used for non-character based elements in the animation?

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Ok iŽll try it, :thumbsup:

someone knows where can i find a good rigged characte for 3DMAX

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 01:53 PM
alexandrecollac

I use maya,

but http://www.3dluvr.com/pepeland/Misc/Boped.htm

:hmm:
here

geoffb
07-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm gonna see what I can get done. This sounds like fun. Never tried character animation before. :) this should be fun.

Geoff

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 02:25 PM
alexandrecollac

I use maya,

hereTnx, but the link is not working.
canŽt download

DavisPoon
07-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Do I have to include the location in the animation?

Remi
07-20-2004, 03:04 PM
alexandrecollac

I use maya,

here
try this one alex.... Maya rigs that rock (http://www.rigging101.com)

show
07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
wicked this is just the kind of thing i was hoping for, count me in.
right now im thinking of the situation you find yourself in when your mobile rings in your jeans pocket and your driving at a busy time.

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
try this one alex.... Maya rigs that rock (http://www.rigging101.com/)
Tanks Remi, but i need 3DMax rigs. :thumbsup:

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Remi thanks...I know it.
Anyway, I wanted only to help alexandrecollac user...I've the character to anim, thanks.
I said "I use maya" only for not assume responsibility giving the link, because I really don't know how much is good pepeland free model.

:)

confusion spell !

CuTnPaste
07-20-2004, 03:44 PM
ok ok..

:bounce:

Demilliac
07-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Ok, another great theme !
I'll try this time to really participate, not like the past one :[

I've already started with simple things, watch and tell me !
http://demilliac.free.fr/wip/phoneCall/PhoneCall01.mov

I plan to move the character from sad to happy felling.

thx for watching and good luck for all !

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Someone knows where can i find a character rigged (for 3DMAX) to try this contest

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Someone knows where can i find a character rigged (for 3DMAX) to try this contest

I think there was IK joe for max. I am sure there are a couple characters already rigged for max. Or you can also use Biped if you have character studio.

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Can dynamics be used for non-character based elements in the animation?
What do you have in mind erilaz?

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Ok. Serious question. Can a character react to a phone ring, but end up NOT picking up the phone, or it has to have some form of conversation?

thats perfectly fine. he can for example not want to pick up the phone and get more nervous the more it rings..etc

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 06:14 PM
wicked this is just the kind of thing i was hoping for, count me in.
right now im thinking of the situation you find yourself in when your mobile rings in your jeans pocket and your driving at a busy time.

thats a really cool idea Mark! , glad you are joining at last! :D

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I think there was IK joe for max. I am sure there are a couple characters already rigged for max. Or you can also use Biped if you have character studio.
I tried IK joe but the download didnŽt work:shrug: , so if someone knows where to find pçease tell me

mmkelly011881
07-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Plotting... yes.. plotting it all out this time

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Ok, another great theme !
I'll try this time to really participate, not like the past one :[

I've already started with simple things, watch and tell me !
http://demilliac.free.fr/wip/phoneCall/PhoneCall01.mov

I plan to move the character from sad to happy felling.

thx for watching and good luck for all !

Nice start man! , i really like his head turn and facial expression when the phone rings.

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 07:22 PM
Demilliac - I like it until now, when the eyes are moving to look at the phone try to make them move in an arc, it is looking very robotic.

ralphpoon
07-20-2004, 08:00 PM
it seems interesting~
so i have to use my spare time to do it after work~

yea yea....

show
07-20-2004, 08:51 PM
hey i love what you've done there already demilliac, what you've done with the phone is really good especially.

bledsoed
07-20-2004, 09:15 PM
I was just given an assignment at school to do an animation with a character reacting to something.

I am going to see if i can come up with something for this animation contest.

Derek

Remi
07-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Demilliac....looks good....I agree with the eye movement comment....need to add an arc in there....also...his mood goes from bored to upset....but he's sitting by the phone...how about experimenting with something like "A guy waiting for a call from his love" or something like that...right now the situation isn't fitting for me...I wouldn't wait by the phone just to get mad when it rings...just an idea....nicely done so far though:)

alexandrecollac
07-20-2004, 10:09 PM
"A guy waiting for a call from his love" or something like that...
Hey this is my idea:twisted: , u canŽt use it. Just kiding, iŽll let u use this one:deal: .

I agree with your coment the situation is not fitting. But maybe he was not waiting for the call, just thinking in someone or situation when the phone calls and it can be this person.

I want to tart trying my ideas but i really need a rigged character, so MAX users help me please.

SheepFactory
07-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I am doing a "annoying female driver talking on the cellphone while putting on make up while changing lanes" skit.

erilaz
07-20-2004, 10:58 PM
What do you have in mind erilaz?
I wanted to animate a guy being woken up by his phone. The dynamics were for the bedsheets over his head.

Demilliac
07-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Hey some god feedback here ! thk for commenting. I'll try to break some "robotik" movement.
Next, for the fitting of the situation, I've simply tryed to show 'someone thinking of...' and disturbed by the unexpected ring. Next he would by enjoying the conversation and finally have a great day ;) but I agree with the fact that the situation is not really clear yet.

Thx again, some continuation and adjustements to come in the next few days ;)
I'm waiting for you all now !

Mooncalf
07-21-2004, 12:17 AM
something like "A guy waiting for a call from his love" or something like that...

Man, oh man, that's what I came up with, too! Me and alexandre, both!

Guess I'll have to come up with another idea... :) Gotta go get my thinking cap out of the dryer...

- M

SheepFactory
07-21-2004, 12:30 AM
I wanted to animate a guy being woken up by his phone. The dynamics were for the bedsheets over his head.

I'd rather you spend the time on animation than dynamics and add the dynamics part after the session is complete.

Remi
07-21-2004, 12:39 AM
I am doing a "annoying female driver talking on the cellphone while putting on make up while changing lanes" skit.
Dang it!!! that was my idea...hehe I keed...I keed....good one sheep:)

SheepFactory
07-21-2004, 12:46 AM
Dang it!!! that was my idea...hehe I keed...I keed....good one sheep:)

Heh! you scared me there for a second :D

Are you joining this time? , I mean really join , not like "i am in" and dont post anything =p

Remi
07-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Hey...could you call my boss and say "Please allow Ryan to put aside any obligations for about a week so he may compete in the CGT Animation Challenge and we will award you copius amounts of bacon"....it might actually work:)

Sorry...back to the session:)

Tom N.
07-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Count me in! I could use a break from my ten second club entry hehe... hmm and a break from my 2d animation class.. and a break from my lighting class homework.. and my animation class.. sheesh!! I'm entering but I don't know how much time I can put into it but it should be fun.. i have an idea ready :thumbsup:

-Tom N.

MattKelly
07-21-2004, 03:06 AM
All is well...

switched screennames to my other old one i had forgotten about.

Mooncalf
07-21-2004, 05:36 AM
Alright, I've got the beginnings of an idea. Any comments would be appreciated, because I believe it could be stronger:

Guy is sitting at a desk, or a table, or whatever. Phone's next to him. But he's not concentrating on the phone. He's more concerned about the house of cards he's building. Up to four rows high now, and just getting ready to put... the last card... on top..... *RING* Our guy pauses, hand in mid-air, eyes still on his current goal... *RING*... guy looks briefly at the phone, then back at the card in his hand... *RING*... he carefully answers the phone--its' a telemarketer, or a wrong number, or something he can very quickly say "no" to and hang up--but when he hangs up, the (small) force of the phone hitting the cradle is enough to topple his card house. And he becomes angry and frustrated that all of his hard work has come to naught.

Change of emotion: careful concentration --> anger

The biggest issue I see is with the house of cards. There'd probably be a lot of animation there, and I'd rather spend time with the character than making sure the cards fall correctly. I thought that maybe he could be stacking cups instead (have you seen cup-stacking? it's an actual sport, and pretty impressive, too)... but that's pretty much the same problem.

The second issue is that the change of emotion really has very little to do with the phone. In fact, now that I think about it, the phone doesn't even need to be in the scene for the gag to work... hm... how can I tie the phone cloaser into his eventual anger/disappointment...?

Still, I like the idea, and I think there's potential there. Some of y'all really helped me solidify my ideas in the last session, and I really appreciated it. I'd love any more of the same sage-like advice. Thanks! :)

- M

tuzz
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey this is my idea:twisted: , u canŽt use it. Just kiding, iŽll let u use this one:deal: .

I agree with your coment the situation is not fitting. But maybe he was not waiting for the call, just thinking in someone or situation when the phone calls and it can be this person.

I want to tart trying my ideas but i really need a rigged character, so MAX users help me please.

Dont know what your download problem was...
anyway i have uploaded the zip-file to my server there you can try again. Please write me a personal message when you have downloaded it, so i can delete it to reduce traffic.
have fun
tuzz

EDIT: i took it offline again, since it fulfilled its purpose ;)

Frelp
07-21-2004, 11:52 AM
Oh my god! I've just finished-ish a piece called 'Phone call' for my reel!

Umm.. I guess that sort of counts me out then eh? Unless you want to see it anyway..

AnimZiggy
07-21-2004, 02:48 PM
nice topic

i hate to admit that our gender is exactly like that....(i'm not) maybe i will make a female breaking up with her bf over the phone :twisted: ... hehehe no no no I'm sorry guys, I'm only keeding...I couldn't help it..bad sence of humour here...:rolleyes:

maybe I will make my current situation waiting for a call for a job interview -sigh- :deal:

and Demilliac: good start I agree with the comments already stated!

alexandrecollac
07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Tuzz - Tanks man, i sent u the private message.:thumbsup: Now iŽll try to do something

tuzz
07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
youŽre welcome.
i hope you do something worth the whole thing now :) and try to win ;)

Kaffein
07-21-2004, 10:37 PM
I would like to join, is there anything I have to do first or do I just start posting my WIP in this thread?

A good reference is in Monsters Inc when Mike picks up the phone after the commercial plays.

GrahamHRoss
07-22-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm inny. This one just sounds too fun to resist!

skubydew
07-22-2004, 03:21 AM
I'm in. Where do we submit our final entries?

deadline
07-22-2004, 03:58 AM
so. count me in too, but how do we submit? where?

SheepFactory
07-22-2004, 04:14 AM
so. count me in too, but how do we submit? where?

you submit here in this thread. Just post a link to your anim.

skubydew
07-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Do we have to find our own hosting or is CGTalk capable of hosting our files?

retrop
07-22-2004, 02:35 PM
so, i'm in, as well :D

here is my first rough pop-through http://mitglied.lycos.de/retrop/dude/phone001.mov what do you think? i'm still a beginner and this is my first attempt on something like 'acting' ... there are no facial animations yet, i'll do them in the end.

the story behind the animation:

the little dude is waiting for call from his new love and hurrys to the phone. in the first moment he still thinks its her, but then he recognizes the voice of his evil ex-girlfriend... he gets a little annoyed and listens to her boring stories, but then she starts to insult him again, so he gets really pissed and throws the phone on the floor. pissed as he is, he walks off. fin. ^^

retrop

btw, skubydew: i think you've got to find your own host... there is a sticky thread about free hosts in the showroom :)

Pascaru
07-22-2004, 03:19 PM
hey all .. I'm gonna do a wake up call .. (no bed sheets, only a cube as a bed, and a cube as the phone), using Package Man otra vez.. :)

see y'all soon
P.

SheepFactory
07-22-2004, 03:58 PM
Do we have to find our own hosting or is CGTalk capable of hosting our files?
You have to find your own hosting.

AmirP
07-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Im looking for a good rig for lightwave, something that works :) and that is not too complicated, IK legs and arms, Could any one help me with that ?

Remi
07-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Amir...PM me:)

el-vio
07-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Hi all, I like the theme :)
it's first time i'll particip to an animation session so.
I wan't to show you the begining of the scene now,

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/el-vio/video/anime1.rar

that's all... i'll continue it this week end , cu ;)

Pascaru
07-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey SHEEP FACTORY ..

You can make the character scratch his butt.. but can he scratch his balls? or is it not in the things to do?

thanks
P.

Remi
07-23-2004, 02:13 PM
And here's the beginning of mine...about 4 seconds worth so far....the ring on the second ring doesn't have the shaking yet..but you get the idea:) See Sheep...I told ya I was in:)

http://www.ryan-hagen.com/Ring1.mov little over a meg

Let me know what you think so far!!!!

Darknon
07-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm in too.. Tell me.. Is this the thread where we post WIP and the finished animation, or how does it work exactly?

Remi
07-23-2004, 03:02 PM
- Please post all your WIP's in this thread for critique.
As stated in the rules.

SheepFactory
07-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey SHEEP FACTORY ..

You can make the character scratch his butt.. but can he scratch his balls? or is it not in the things to do?

thanks
P.
Just what exactly are you trying to say? :D

I dont care where you scratch man , whatever floats your...story :)

Pascaru
07-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Just what exactly are you trying to say? :D

I dont care where you scratch man , whatever floats your...story :)SHEEP,

I thought some stuff wouldn't be apropriate on this session, guess not :)

thanks
see ya.
P.

Demilliac
07-23-2004, 04:17 PM
el-vio >> nice start ! I'm not pretty good at critique, but I can suggest some little things. During the turn back to the phone, You could make it turn with less step than that in my opinion, he seems here to trample a bit. And in the same way, I think it raise too much his feet form the ground. Other point, I don't recognize the cellular phone on the first viewing, can be because is animation is too exaggerated. La suite ! =)

Remi >> nivce start too ! nothing special to say. Just may be the character react a little too late to the ring. But can be intensionnal from you. waiting for the continuation impatiently !

I hope to be understandable... still have some problems with my english :p
For my part, I've continued mine, but not too much changes for posting it. Wait the start of the week ;)

Remi
07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Thank Demilliac...updating this weekend:) Man...4 wips so far....and how many people said they were in:)? Lets see some of those wips folks...:)

Retrop....your block is pretty good....I think some of the poses when he's on the phone could use some exaggeration and some variations in the spacing and timing...they look evenly spaced to me right now....I would like to see something that triggers the anger....i'm not reading it right now....he hangs up and just throws the phone....give him a pose of confusion or something along those lines and then snap out and hang up....maybe shake the phone a little bit and WHAM....whip it to the ground....it's a good idea...keep it up man:)

Would anyone like to see my thumbs and ideas? If so, i'll post em...nothing special...just something to get the idea down so I can act it out.

retrop
07-23-2004, 05:53 PM
so here is an update of my animation, http://retrop.elitecr3w.net/animationen/dude/phone002.mov ,
@Remi: thanks for your critic, i think i'll add something like a 'confused look at the phone' instead of the beat on the table (looks odd, anyway... probably beacause the table is too low)

Your animation looks very good to me, but in the first second your character seems a little bit lifeless, because he is not moving.. probably add some subtile movement to his hands :) .
and i would really like to see your thumbs and ideas :)

so long, retrop

edit: changed the link :D

AmirP
07-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Ok im in too :D , I gave up the search for a good lightwave rig, IK Joe or the PackageMan will have to do for this one

Demilliac
07-23-2004, 06:19 PM
for sure remi, it's a part of your wip ! just post it :p
Could be interesting to discute about !

bledsoed
07-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Alright here is what i have come up with after a couple hours of work.
The idea is having the main character getting fired over the phone, and his reaction to being fired. He's a hard worker but the company is downsizing.

let me know what you all think

Just over 2 megs Mad Phone Call (http://www.derekbledsoe.com/Animations/madCall2C.mov)

Derek

skubydew
07-24-2004, 03:13 AM
My character, Crumb, gets a crank phone call while reading the Sunday paper.

Also I wanted to ask about the Sorensen 3 codec, where do I find the authoring tools so that I can use it with Maya's playblast/renderer?

Demilliac
07-24-2004, 09:05 AM
bledsoed >> happy to see a new wip ! it's too early for me to critique, but seems a nice start.

skubydew >> Can't see your's. The link is broken for me. For your question, I don't think you can playblast in maya directly in sorenson. For my part, I use first cinepack or an other .avi format, and then recompress in sorenson into quicktime (open the avi file into quicktime and 'save as' in an quicktime format). In think you'll need quicktime pro for 'save as' but I am not certain. You can also edit it in afert effect, premiere or any other video edition software.

mmkelly011881
07-24-2004, 01:37 PM
bledsoed it might be a good idea to add a bit more anticipation before he snatches the phone...

lift the hand up above the phone a bit and pause and then SNATCH!!!
also, maybe his typing on the keyboard could be a good way to show how he's feeling
he's typing happily away and the phone rings... his left hand keeps typing because he is such a good worker and he puts the phone on his shoulder so that he can continue with his right till he starts understanding what his boss is saying (he starts slowing down and typing more delibrately)... boss hangs up... lets phone fall off shoulder to ground pounding the keyboard.. flips over desk :)

skub, can't see yours.. maybe your server needs a scoobysnack

Demilliac
07-24-2004, 05:33 PM
ok guys. There is the new version of my wip !

http://demilliac.free.fr/wip/phoneCall/PhoneCall02.mov

10s - 3.2meg

still don't really now how to finish this one ... lol
If someone find some idee fitting with that I've already done ... a kiss cool to win ;)

c&c !

skubydew
07-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I apparently can't find any suitable free hosting and I looked through the sticky on the main gallery forum, none of them helped. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Remi
07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Demilliac....it's good what you have so far....to end...first you usually hang up:) What you do after that should reflect the subject of the phone call....have him slouch if it was bad news....sigh if it was someone letting you know your dog survived nuetering....so on and so on....good job:)

Here's my thumbs:)

http://www.ryan-hagen.com/thumbnails.jpg

el-vio
07-25-2004, 04:16 AM
Hey :)
This is an update, 17 seconds of animation more.
tell if you feel the character, expression and what is it about.
maybe i'll finish it tomorrow.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/el-vio/video/anime2.rar

sorry to not up a .mov, i don't know how to do :s

:D

skubydew
07-25-2004, 05:00 AM
el-vio your .rar file is corrupted.

retrop
07-25-2004, 10:00 AM
el-vio: i would think about your staging.. after he picks up the phone he alwas stands with his back to the viewer.

retrop

el-vio
07-25-2004, 01:18 PM
sorry the upload wasn't finish... it's finish now
:)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/el-vio/video/anime2.rar

el-vio: i would think about your staging.. after he picks up the phone he alwas stands with his back to the viewer.

retropyes , he will look at us just after

AmirP
07-25-2004, 05:22 PM
el-vio: Im only going to talk about the things that really bothered me. first, when he turns the other way, he moves his feet with out any weight, no one could move like that, you have to pass the weight from one leg to the other before you can lift it, now the second thing was that when he talk's on the phone he's bending back in a pose that looks like he's about to fall

Any way, I hope I could find the time to work on something and post it soon, I dont like to criticize everyone without any thing to show

el-vio
07-25-2004, 06:25 PM
every body Can crits without work... there is no problem ;)
thx for crits i'll take care about :)

bledsoed
07-26-2004, 02:04 AM
Here is an update.
I pretty much just have the timing and keyposes worked out, let me know about things that i can do to make the poses more dynamic, the timing better, and the over all story better.

Updated Animation (http://www.derekbledsoe.com/Animations/gettingFired.mov)

Thanks for your advice.

Derek

AmirP
07-26-2004, 08:59 PM
bledsoed:

You mite want to read a bit about "Successive Breaking Of Joints" the two hand swings in the animation need it, What I mean is that when the hand swings like that, some part of the hand is leading it, like the palm or the elbo, what you need to do is "Drag" the other parts behind it, as for the posing, ill wait for now, I dont think I could tell you any thing usefull about that :)

SheepFactory
07-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I agree with Amir ,

you also need to animate the hands with more expression , you probably didnt start animating them yet.

I have to say that guys head raising in the background is HILARIOUS :D , it adds so much to the animation.

bledsoed
07-26-2004, 09:26 PM
AmirP:
thanks for the feedback, i will work on that successive breaking of the joints thing you talked about.

Sheep Factory:
your right the hands have no expression yet because i haven't done them yet, up until now i was mainly focused on getting the timing and key poses down, now i will go in and start giving the character some life. Also glad you like that guy in the background, he was kinda a last minute idea my girlfriend had, she said it would be funny if someone saw him flipping out.

I will continue working on this and posting updates as i get them

Thanks again for all your help and feedback

Derek

keato
07-28-2004, 04:19 AM
I just registered as a member 5 minutes ago, hahah..... Hope I have something to show everybody soon. Thx

KEAT

AmirP
07-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Ok here's my WIP, Just the main poses in stepped, I got alot of comments from people so I have alot of changing to do, good thing i've got the week end coming :)

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/amirp/AS8_PC_17.avi

Tom N.
07-29-2004, 01:06 AM
Hey all, a late start but here's my WIP so far:

My nerdy little sketches (quick):

http://img51.exs.cx/img51/1323/CGtalkChallenge.jpg

and the movie link so far (just poses): (copy paste or save as, clicking it wont work)

http://www.angelfire.com/moon/tomny/PhoneCGtalk.mov

Hopefully I'll have the poses finished in a few days so I can start makin it look pretty
:thumbsup:

-Tom N.

StuartVarrall
07-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Good start Tom N.

I'd try and exaggerate some of the poses a little more to get some more feeling into the movement. For example the throwing the phone action could be more dramatic, and when holding up the object above the phone. [eg. bending over backwards]
How about if instead of just putting the book down, he pushes it away, or even throws it onto the desk? It might even be worth him pushing the chair over as well. If he pushes it towards the camera so it topples over sideways it would add more drama.
I like his powerful walk poses as he goes over to the object, don't loose that anger he seems to have when you fill in the animation.

keep it up,

stu

skubydew
07-30-2004, 11:57 AM
My character, Crumb, gets a crank phone call.

It's not ready for critique but heres my first draft.

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/skuby/images/phone.avi

Let me know if the link works, thanks -Derek

Remi
08-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Update...some fine tuning after I set up the poses but nothing is set in stone...rip it apart and tell what's good and what's not....thanks:)

http://www.ryan-hagen.com/Ring5preview.mov

grury
08-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Nice one Ryan, getting there, my only comment for now, the way he lifts the handset is kinda slow, the antecipation b4 looks quite nice but then the way he lifts it staright away and then slows down doesnt work in my view. I would perhaps hold his hand there for a few frames and then lift the phone much quicker.

Cheers

Remi
08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Hey Gru...thanks man...yea...i'm going to work on that part tonight...I think him reaching for it and just putting up to his ear in one quick motion will suit that part better...I had a hold there but that didn't fit either I didn't think....thanks alot for the comment....:)

TOM N. Good job...looks promising so far:)

Edit:

Another update...still more to do(Some areas need tuning)...may or may not add 10 more second before he walks off: 4 megs give or take

http://www.ryan-hagen.com/Ring6preview.mov

dsolo
08-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Well IŽll try to do my best in this session. I hope to post something ASAP.

dsolo
08-04-2004, 10:14 PM
http://www.telefonica.net/web/daviddigital/dsolo_phone_blocking01.mov

Ok, just the main poses by now.

Edited: Ups :shrug: wrong link, Now fixed.

dsolo
08-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Second pass :thumbsup: http://www.telefonica.net/web/daviddigital/dsolo_phone_blocking02.mov

Remi
08-05-2004, 07:41 PM
dsolo...I can't view them for some reason...sorry:)

SheepFactory
08-08-2004, 09:01 AM
i'll extend this session until after siggraph , so those of you not going to siggy wrap it up :)

new session coming after siggraph!

Ali

bledsoed
08-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Sheep Factory: Sweet thanks for doing that. i was rushing trying to finish mine before i left for siggraph, and it looked like i wasn't going to finish it. so thanks very much

dsolo
08-09-2004, 10:31 PM
dsolo...I can't view them for some reason...sorry:)
I'm not sure why you can't view the clip. I tried from differents computers and the links is working. The clip is a quicktime movie with Sorenson 3 codec.

You can try with this new versión. I'm still working in poses but with linear keys this time.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/daviddigital/dsolo_phone_linear02a.mov

Remi
08-10-2004, 01:42 PM
dsolo...when I click on it....on the bottom of the browser it says restricted site...never had that happen so I don't know what to tell you. It loads and all but when it's done all I see is the little box like an undisplayable image up in the top left of the browser...sorry man...really would like to see it:)

Remi
08-11-2004, 01:28 AM
Here's an update to mine...i'm going to work on the facial still but feel free to comment on what's there...thanks again for viewing:)

http://www.ryan-hagen.com/Ring7preview.mov 4.07 MB Sorenson 3

Sheep...do I NEED to make it 640x480 or is it ok for me to leave it in it's current state?

keato
08-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Hi, guys!! So since the deadline is been extended to after siggraph. Can anyone tell me when is the new deadline now?? Do I need to register myself to join u guys for this session or I can just write down an url which will lead u guys to my mov. file at my ftp server. Thx.

KEATO

Demilliac
08-11-2004, 05:53 AM
A quick crit for remi :
Your animation is pretty good man, but one thing question me, when he pull away the phone from is ear, does it's because the one talking on the phone is shouting ? or just because your character is learning bad news ? I'm posing this question because by seeing your animation, I have the felling that somebody shouting on the phone and that don't really fit in my opinion. But may be just a felling ;) good work indeed !

for my wip... I regret to say to you that I will not finish it at time... may be an other week...

grury
08-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Hey Ryan, nice one, theres a little thing that bothers me, the use of IK on his hand, there are a couple of times where the handset is perfectly still and his head/body is moving, if you have an IK/FK switch, think would look much better if you switch to FK after he picks up the phone and gets it close to his ear.
Otherwise looking pretty good.

Cheers

Remi
08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Demilliac...Thanks for the crits.....the situation I had in mind was someone finding out they owe lots of money to a bill collector....and he's getting a call saying you owe a ton a cash....I hope it looks like that just a little:)

Gru...Yea...IK arms suck....I do wish I had an IK/FK blend rig...but alas...i'm not a TD....would happen to know of any tuts where I could learn to set that up? Thanks for the feedback man:)

grury
08-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Hum not a TD myself either, just lucky that I have a good friend that is a rigging freak and does it for me ;)
Guess you can fix it by getting rid of the linear curves between poses, a bit of playing with the tangents will do the trick, and also animate the hand/phone in the same direction he moves his head.

Cheers

keato
08-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi, again!! I've finished mine. Thx.

http://www.keatopia.com/PhoneCall.mov 12.4mb Sorenson 3

KEATO

Remi
08-12-2004, 04:59 PM
keato....decent work man....I didn't much like the ring of the phone....it does distract a bit from the main character....also...I would give the objects some different colors...nothing fancy just something to seperate objects because it's hard to see some of the motions...once i have some free time here...i'll be able to give you a bit of a crit on the animation:)

dsolo
08-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Hi All,

Remi I don't know what's happening with the server, I don't know if only you already have problems downloading the video. I would like to know if anyone can see it.
By now I don't have another server to upload my clip, I hope to find another server ASAP.

The new video is still pose to pose, but know I use TCB. Hands still needs work but I rebuild timing for all the animation. I really aprecciate your coments (if you don't have problems with video) before to go on with the animation.

http://www.telefonica.net/web/daviddigital/dsolo_phone_TCB01.mov

grury
08-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Hi dsolo, I think you dragging your short for far too long, theres a few dead moments that dont seem to add anything to it, specially after his wild reaction.. although he seems pretty shocked with whatever he heard on the phone, he soon gets back on the phone as if nothing happened, its just a bit strange.
Maybe some facial animation will help to understand whats goin on.
I would shorten it a bit, maybe get rid of one of the sequences when he looks at the handset in his hand, dont see the point of having the same action twice, unless obviously there was a reason for it and I missed it altogether.

Keep em coming,

Cheers

grury
08-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Hey Keato, thats some phone rage you have there..some good bits of animation as well.
Now onto a few comments... I dont really like (but thats me) the floppiness of his body when he lands back on the seat, all that overlapping feels a bit too much for me. When he looks to the book on the floor, the head moves first then the torso, but as the torso is moving the head stays still, that would be pretty impossible..try perhaps to give it a little antecipation by turning the head slightly to his right and then look to his left at the same time the torso rotates, I would also try to get some nice arcs on that motion. again I would try a lil antecipation before he grabs the phone (quite like the way he does it).

Ups! gotta go now, sorry, will try to write a bit more tomorrow.

Cheers

keato
08-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey, here's some changes to it. Thx a lot for all the crits, really appreciate it guys.

http://www.keatopia.com/PhoneCall.mov 16.8mb Sorenson 3

KEATO

dsolo
08-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi dsolo, I think you dragging your short for far too long, theres a few dead moments that dont seem to add anything to it, specially after his wild reaction.. although he seems pretty shocked with whatever he heard on the phone, he soon gets back on the phone as if nothing happened, its just a bit strange.
Maybe some facial animation will help to understand whats goin on.
I would shorten it a bit, maybe get rid of one of the sequences when he looks at the handset in his hand, dont see the point of having the same action twice, unless obviously there was a reason for it and I missed it altogether.

Keep em coming,

Cheers
Thanks for comments Gru (obrigado :) ) IŽll try to rework the last part.
This animation has been really challenging for me (I learn a lot about planification, secondary actions etc). I have had many troubles with timming (still have) for this animation, To try to solve this problems I recorded a sound file with a dialogue to help to get a right timming for the differents action. Thats dialogue help me a lot but itŽs true that without it the animation seems too slow.
The problem I think is that I begin with only some thumbnail (for references) but with no real idea about what is exactly talking about in the phone call. That thing would help me a lot.

I think i didn't had time to finish the animation in session in time because I'll stay away for a few days, but I'll try to do something when I come back.

Thank to all!

P.D: Excuse my poor english :blush:

mehdianim
08-15-2004, 02:37 AM
KEato I like your attitude, that's my kind of animation, lots of energy (positive or negative works jsut as good :D ) I wish some of his follow throughs were a little smoother especially when he flips the table over at the end.
Good though you get the point accross clearly with no facial expressions or sound.

Remi
08-16-2004, 05:05 PM
So how does this work? Do we have a single post with all of the wip links and then we all crit from there?....and when's the new one start? :)

SheepFactory
08-16-2004, 05:20 PM
New one starts today

i'll also create a thread where everyone posts their final links and we vote for the most favorite.

Cheers ,
Ali

SheepFactory
08-16-2004, 09:01 PM
Guys ,

we do have a new animation session subforum under this forum now (look at the top)

things will be better organized from now on and everyone will be able to start their own threads for better critiqueing. and you wont have to wade through all the pages to see the anims.

next session will be posted later today.

Ali

Remi
08-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Friggin' awesome....:)

SheepFactory
08-17-2004, 05:50 AM
This session is officially over , thanks to everyone who joined and hope you learned something valuable out of it.

the new session is already posted , see you all there!

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.