PDA

View Full Version : new found rendering resources: Is this possible??

parallax
02-01-2002, 08:10 PM
I dont know if it exists yet, but recently i was thinking about a new way to approach computer resources.

With all the advanced hardware that make up computers nowadays, it seems IMO we're not using the potential computing power to the fullest. Most modern video cards (read nvidia/Ati ie.)
have chips that consist of more transistors than your host CPU,
and are quite powerfull. Your computer might even have multiple devices that use chips capable of performing complex tasks.
Be it rendering real-time 3d graphics, or playing multiple audio streams.
What i was thinking was, why not use all the processing power your computer pocesses, to perform a single task, ie. rendering a animation sequence, or video.
*disclaimer*:D i'm hardly an engineer, but aren't all chips/DSP's/GPU's able to perform basic mathematicall operations? If so, why not design a sort of API/piece of software that can utilize all the chips in your machine, and uses them to render a sequence (this is still CGtalk isn't it..).
So when you're rendering your latest animation, your video card helps your CPU finish the job. :D

I dont know if its possible, or maybe i stepped on some engineering toes :D :D
If this is total crap, you may slap me in the face, and i'll stick to what i do best: drinking that is......

parallax
02-02-2002, 01:13 AM
come on, reply to my crap, you know you want to :D :D

parallax
02-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Hi parallax,
i dont think it will work, because of the different architecture of the several types of devices. It was a good idea though, maybe it will be implemented in the next generation of hardware :D :D :D

.. i must stop drinking....

parallax
02-03-2002, 06:03 PM
ok.. 1 more post for the 100 mark...

Leonard
02-04-2002, 01:29 AM
If you want to check out a company who is completely dedicated to making rendering hardware - check out ART (Advanced Rendering Technology). Very cool stuff...

http://www.art-render.com

L.

parallax
02-04-2002, 03:27 AM
Yeah, i know them, pretty amazing stuff. thanks anyway leanard :)

Zafoo
02-06-2002, 03:49 PM
The closest you'll come to something aiding your CPU when rendering will be to set up a linux cluster. A linux cluster is when you connect several computers together through ethernet and utilize them as one unit. So you can take 25 dual P4 systems with 2 gigs of RAM, and it will run like a 50 processor 50 gig computer. Nice, but pricey.

TurtleRacer
02-09-2002, 10:16 AM
man..if you really wanted to you could even get your modem and network card on that renderque too :D
But to be perfectly honest, a lot of processors that are in different components are designed to handle large sets of instructions, or even accept them.

hornet
02-15-2002, 11:25 PM
Well...

Actually it's not at all impossible. Phong-shading can be faked in hardware. Same goes for anti-aliasing. Even stuff like global illumination can for a large part be done in hardware.

There are a few issues though.
You can't guarantee, that hw-renderings done on one gfx-card look exactly like those done on a different computer. Futher, you can't improve the quality unlimitedly (it's a word!) ;)

So I guess what I'm saying is that you could do a lot of of the rendering in hardware, but you would not get the exact same quality as in software, and you probably couldn't count on images done on different systems, looking exactly the same.

That having been said, I have absolutely _no_ idea why no-one has done a hardware render for previews.

Regards,
\\Mikkel Gjoel

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.