PDA

View Full Version : CGC Challenge Nr.2 - Post Apocalyptic - Guidelines

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Guidelines for the 2nd Challenge:

make an image of a post-apocalyptic scene.

there ya go. less then 15. period.

now for a little elaboration, ;)

visualise how earth and it's inhabitants will look like in a nuclear aftermath. It can either be a character, vehicle or environment.
You don't have to model all three subjects, just pick ONE.
You can use whatever application you can get your hands on as long as you are being serious [so no MS Paint pixel-pics pls]

Challenge Focus : Modeling

Templates for subjects

character modeling:

The character should wear a protective mask of some sort.
The character should also wear special protective clothing.
The character has to wear eyeprotection.
The character should wear a special kind of footwear.
The character has to wear a weapon.

vehicle modeling:

The vehicle should run on an alternative fuel.
The alternative fuel tank should be visible from the outside.
The vehicle should exist of alternative materials.

Environment modeling:

The environement has to have buildings.
The buildings have to have special airlocks/entriepoints.
There has to be some sort of plantlife.
The effects of the apocalypse should be clearly visible on the landscape/buildings/natural life

as for ideas, think how the aftermath of a nuclear war will change clothing, housing, traveling and such.

this challenge can be either done in 3D or 2D
for the 2D, you have to sketch a front, back and 3/4th view of your "subject"

if one of these guidelines doesnt fit the character or vehicle etc they can be subsituted with a small description of why.

On a sidenote, the challenge will change a little each time , as it must. But thats what will make it different it will always be about the skill of modeling but focused on different challenges.

and last, the important thing about these challanges is fun.

all mods of the challenge forum have agreed that these are the official guidelines for the 2nd challange.
Well, cept for pascal, but he ain't gonna enter anyways :p

oh, one last comment by Jean Eric

NO Buzz Lightyear Submissions

joe_snow_jr
02-01-2002, 09:40 PM
first off im am bit confused about what the actual challenge is now.
if someone can clarifiy it for me i would greately appreciate it.

moving on with what i think is the challenge,

the idea i have is that we collaborate, this pa image seems to have 3 distinct parts, so im saying lets get together in 3 man teams (or two other people to work with me) to see if we can divide up the work, choose what aspect we want to work on and then set to making the scene.

this is how they do it in the big houses, and it would be a good exercise in cooperation with others and give the people that may be better at chars and not vehicles a chance to enter the contest where they might not have entered before for fear of not being able to complete the challenge.

if i am way offbase here let me know

to start this idea off, i would like to start a 3 man team, my strengths are in architecture and vehicles i am not so good at character modelling (no call for it in my current posistion)(and not a lot of time to experiment) i would like to know if there are any volunteers to work with me to create a pa scene for the current (i think that is the current) challenge

any takers?

joe

joe_snow_jr@msn.com (email ans msn messenger)

ikmo
02-01-2002, 10:18 PM
I really like your idea Joe. I agree that working in a team would be a good exercise.

This challenge is very different than the last, where all/most of the participants had a hand in the guidelines of the Challenge. I prefer that method, but it doesn't need to be the only way - I guess.

I would be interested in working in a team of 3. My background is also in architecture and equipment/vehicles. So maybe there's a way to team up on these two areas. ?? -let me know :)

henry

cerreto
02-01-2002, 10:28 PM
working in teams is fine with me I think everyone needs to read the post it will describe about as clear as can be to what is going on . We need to try and make fit in this way enables everyone to participate character modelersetc just choose one of the three or team up as a team and do all it doesnt matter just read the guidlines

Its all aobut fun so lets start concepting and sketching and move on everything you need to know should be posted int the thread here and in the other

Hope everyone can be happy and create some good stuff and keep this challenge a positve thing rather than dwell on any flaws it has its about getting together with your peers and bettering skills and expanding your thought s

regards

Travis Bourbeau
aka cerreto

edaddy
02-01-2002, 11:00 PM
cerreto's got it right

ikmo
02-01-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification Travis. :p

I commented to the guidelines before I read the other general post for the February Challenge.:D

vertex
02-01-2002, 11:04 PM
Teamwork sounds fine but lets quickly set something in the rules to stop Matt and Pascal from teaming up..... EVER

Vertex

NowInc
02-01-2002, 11:50 PM
YaY!!! Seeing how I am not a character modeler..this is a contest I am going to try my hand at. I was a bit dissapointed with the last challenge being geared only towards those who deal with characters...but now i feel this is the driection all following challenges should head in.

My head is already swimming with ideas...this is great....now I need to get my butt in gear and start getting some concept sketches done....

dingo
02-02-2002, 12:08 AM
Even within this thread people were still making suggestions, but mine are deleted.

I made my suggestions while everyone was still making theirs, yet mine were deleted. This isn't an open forum.

My suggestion even conceded to the "PA" theme. Yet mine was the only one deleted.

Seems this is just as much a "private club" like other places. Really sad.

I will be doing an entry based on the above. I challenge lildragon's to be better than mine. There's a challenge for you.

Matt-Clark
02-02-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by vertex
Teamwork sounds fine but lets quickly set something in the rules to stop Matt and Pascal from teaming up..... EVER

For then the world would really be ours! Mwhahaha

dingo: Just for the record I've liked your suggestions (but don't start a flame war here...)

dingo
02-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Thanks Matt,

nope no flames, and this heineken I am drinking right now put out all my flames. Done with it.

I am just gonna try my best to kick arse with the guidelines that exist. And then challenge said moderator at the end of it all.

baby
02-02-2002, 12:31 AM
as it is a forum about challenges...

why should there be only one challenge ?!? I don't understand...

It's not something official like the 3Dluvr contest for exemple, it's a forum which name is "challenges"...

so people can propose challenges and people should be free to choose...that's the purpose of a forum...you can't force someone on a forum to speak or to do whatever you want to !!!!

I mean in the job forum for exemple, there is not only one offer !!!! (well maybe there should be !!! I'm still looking :) )

For the moment it's not a very official thing you could find on the cgchannel front page...with official rules and all the official thing a contest could have...
it's not even a contest...

I don't want to bother but I feel sad the way dingo is treaten !!!!

(above all because maybe he's not as famous or as good as others... (nothing personnal here :))) )

sometimes good and simple things happens just once...

pascal_blanche
02-02-2002, 12:39 AM
what are your suggestions again dingo? I don't want anybody to feel rejected by the challenges and challengers, but in the same time, you have to go with the flow somehow.... like in fightclub: Slliiiiiiiiide :D
btw I agree with Baby : there could be more than one contest, I'ts just a question of organisation.. Am I wrong?

dingo you made me thirsty: gonna have beer too.. cheers! :D :D

MadS
02-02-2002, 12:43 AM
I think that Jean Eric mentioned that this time around, the challenge would be more formal. From what I understand, Jean has left the nature of the challenge up to the mods on this forum, but after all that has been decided, it would then go into a more formal structure, complete with all the perks that usually go with a competitive undertaking such as this.

And as for Dingo. Stuff happens man. If you don't like the challenge, then don't participate. I mean, no one is forcing you to. I'm glad you have a fire under your arse now, and hopefully you will create some awesome work from that energy. ;)

Hmm so what kind of timeframe are we talking about here?

p.s. Pascal, I wish you'd reconsider getting in on this competition. I was looking forward to the rivalry. ;)

dingo
02-02-2002, 12:45 AM
I am sliding now:)

Seriously I am cool. Yesterday I fought over the PA theme, I conceded victory to that, thus tryed to offer guidelines based on that, get a vote and get it going. But hey, it's already going. I might use some of my guidelines for my entry.

Really I'm cool. Just gotta do something now that kicks booty.

Beer is good.

Here was what I wrote:

The Scout Challenge - Vote Here!
One character & One form of transportation

(if you choose to enhance your entry with an environment that's cool)

Post Apocalyptic Tribal Scout (1000years from now), and the scout's transportation. Weather- extreme, either extremely cold or extremely hot in different areas no in between. You choose how your character dresses, or their transportation.

Character

1. His/Her Job is to seek out and negotiate with other tribes
2. He/She has a breathing aparatus, a knife, a compass, walking stick, a gun, a tattoo, canteen

Transportation

1. Has a light (could be a spotlight, or a candle, doesn't matter)
2. Has at least one visible wheel

Please respond to this post with only "YES" or "NO".

lildragon
02-02-2002, 12:47 AM
Hi all I'm not trying to start politics, but this was not my decision, it was a concensus of the most popular idea.... Jean Eric has asked to lend a hand in the organization of the challenges, so it can be posted on the front page, for all new comers.

I understand where everyone is coming from, believe me I do but it's not my decision, based on the demand, this is the next challenge....

They WILL be others so don't worry your ideas can be carried on to next months challenge, please be more patient and try to enjoy the next challenge....

If you don't happen to like this challenge, give it a try anyhoo, you may surprise yourself, that's a challenge in itself ;) and about other challenges, why change something that's not broken? a single focus on a challenge was more than enough to make this forum explode...... Please all keep the peace and Dingo I have no beef bud, we're just trying to keep things organized, other wise this challenge forum wouldn't have been here in the first place ;)

take care and good luck in the next challenge everyone, as I'll be joining this episode.....

Regards

lildragon
02-02-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by MadS

p.s. Pascal, I wish you'd reconsider getting in on this competition. I was looking forward to the rivalry. ;)

Me too :) come on man pretty please :)

and btw I think the next challenge will run into at least the first week of March, but don't quote me on that ;)

Pretty pleeeeease Pascal i'll buy ya something http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/ruinkai/biggringift.gif

Jeremy
02-02-2002, 01:02 AM
Sounds good to me. Good luck to all.

Sirchced
02-02-2002, 01:29 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post although I have been fallowing this thread for a while.

I like the PA idea. It sounds like there is a lot of room for creativity and at the same time it's fairly focused. When will we know for sure what the final limitations of the project are? Will this be changing much between now and the deadline? I'd like to start working on ideas now.

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a character design with a team. I prefer character modeling over architectural or vehicle design. I've been doing it for a few years and I'm still learning a lot. I am no master at it, but I think I am up for a challenge. Check out my site and let me know if you would like me on your team. www.hyperrem.com And email me if you are interested. chris@hyperrem.com

The last challenge looked like a lot of fun. I'd love to be a part of the action on this one.

cerreto
02-02-2002, 01:37 AM
hi all

Dingo not sure what post or why it was deleted! Sorry if it has caused you anoyance ! As for your idea we only tried to go with the one that the majority of people choose , it wasnt that your idea was bad , Like i said before this is definetly not a perfect system, we are just doing the best we can to let everbody enjoy!

So i hope you can see that :) we are trying to do our best to make everyone happy:) so please give us a hand , consider that some people want rules, others want guidlines. While others want characters and some want vehicles we are trying to mix a lil of all into one challenge as far as other chalenges go that is a perfectly good idea but with just one forum at the moment look how big this is now someone would need to find a better way to keep it organised without ruining it for all the chalenges i guess

If we can just focus on wht we were able to set up it would be great so we can move forward

Thank you for listing for a sec and all your ideas

Trav

pascal_blanche
02-02-2002, 01:40 AM
.....must...... contain....... :D :D :D

lildragon
02-02-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
.....must...... contain....... :D :D :D

come on buddy, don't you want to see what's inside the box http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/ruinkai/biggringift.gif how about this I'll make it two http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/ruinkai/biggringift.gif you got like a month and some anyhoo, what's that an hour a day?

choose the box....the box........the box :D

dingo
02-02-2002, 01:51 AM
Two things,

1. Do they have beer in the future:) hick- up

2. what's the deadline?

cerreto
02-02-2002, 02:00 AM
beer is somewhat a reproductive necessity id say it will still be around and the next challenge will start second week of march ;)

Batmanuel
02-02-2002, 02:00 AM
"1. Do they have beer in the future hick- up"

Going by the current trends...and what I've learned from TV....it seems that Duff will be the only beer that can survive a nuclear attack.

Seriously though, I'd like to see some of your work Dingo, if that's possible.

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 02:09 AM
what my friend Cerreto meant to say is that the deadline is Friday the 8th of march.

dingo
02-02-2002, 02:24 AM
Batmanuel,

I sent you a Private Message.

Peace,

Dingo

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 02:34 AM
btw, pascal, you HAVE to enter. you don't want to be that small
smiley in the middle do ya http://www.brainaideddesign.co.uk/phpBB/images/smiles/05.gif

:D :D :D

Joebount
02-02-2002, 02:39 AM
Pascal who ? Who's that guy ?
:D :D :D

baby
02-02-2002, 02:42 AM
hahaha

I got you !!!

in fact Pascal never existed !!!

Yes !!! I'm Pascal... I used this name so I could participate twice !!!

yes shame on me I know !!!

Hu...yes I swear it's true...

:D

NowInc
02-02-2002, 02:45 AM
I must say that this has certainly lit a fire under my ass..Im already well underway with reference object placment and I should be able to start "pretty" models as early as tommorow...

That reminds me..do we just keep adding WIP shots in the forum? or Should we wait a few days ;)

hb3d
02-02-2002, 04:00 AM
Are the actual prizes for this one, or is it just for fun? And if there are prizes can we know what they are before the contest starts.

Jean Eric
02-02-2002, 04:13 AM
Equinoxx is trying to convince me to enter the Challenge. Dunnot know if I have time, but I might. Won't be elligible for a prize though...

But I might enter just for the fun of it. Should I?

baby
02-02-2002, 04:16 AM
JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC JEAN-ERIC

Hmura
02-02-2002, 04:16 AM
Jean Eric, go for it m8, :)
lets see what u got...

>>H<<

MadS
02-02-2002, 04:19 AM
Jean: The more the merrier. Would be very cool to have you hang with us on this challenge. I think that would add even more credence to this next one, and attract even more participants at the same time. Maybe even Pascal would give in and join up just so he can duke it out with you. :D Also, would be even nicer if we could atleast have 6 weeks instead of 4. :p Oh and, what prizes???

Jhonus
02-02-2002, 04:20 AM
Hi all. Just wondering what the policy is on using models modelled before the competition?

Sorry if this has been answered b4 :)

Jean Eric
02-02-2002, 04:25 AM
I will probably enter the 'Environment' Category. Here is a very old image I did back in 1997 using a P166 and a Matrox Millenium 2 graphic card with 8 MB of graphic ram if I remember.

http://www.cgchannel.com/featureimages/2002_02/2002_02_01_jeh_cityscape.jpg

Needed some textures bad...

JE

baby
02-02-2002, 04:28 AM
not bad for a newbie !!!! :D

Equinoxx
02-02-2002, 04:28 AM
common Jean, you know you want to :D if you're not gonna enter, wel, then,just like pascal if he won't enter

YOU IN THE MIDDLE http://www.brainaideddesign.co.uk/phpBB/images/smiles/05.gif

hehe

givetommoney
02-02-2002, 04:30 AM
damn, those are some pretty specific guidelines, but my brain's a perculatin' and i think i can still make my original idea work..

MadS
02-02-2002, 04:32 AM
Umm. Jean. Wanna team up? :D :D :D

ikmo
02-02-2002, 05:27 AM
Jean Eric, you did that LW image?!!:p Wow, that was one of the images that made me leave architecture to pursue computer graphics!

You have to join in the challenge. If for anything - to show us how you make killer environmets!:D

hb3d
02-02-2002, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Jean Eric
Won't be elligible for a prize though...

Can we be more specific about what the prizes are, I have not read anything about this yet. Also what will be the rating system, how will the images be evaluated?

l_farley13_l
02-02-2002, 06:04 AM
Could we organize the forum a bit too :rolleyes: I mean maybe put all prior entires into a archive with a master sticky only for the gallery of final models and rules for that particular challenge, and keep this place nice and clean. That way a nice history of all entries and WIPS can be kept, and this forum will not have several different challenges jumping over one another. (like pascal's thread will ever stop getting responses ;) ) Also the present challenges only have "Challenge - Matt Clark" for a title, no way to tell one challenge for another. Can't wait to see the next elephants step up to the plate!! How 'bout image sizes, dimensions, and textures etc. ? how tightly will this be monitored. (I would love to get some feedback if I do any Faux Pas)

See you,

Farley13

lildragon
02-02-2002, 06:06 AM
The end date is March 8th, but we need a start date :) Cerreto and Eqinoxx both agreed on Feb 4th, is that good for everyone? gives us the weekend to start brainstorming :)

So the challenge for Feburary 2002 will go from

Feb 4th - March 8th

l_farley13_l agreed I'll speak to Jean ;)

AJ
02-02-2002, 06:38 AM
It would be really cool to clarify if we're presenting an image - or a model...

By that I mean, are textures allowed? Can people who've modelled a vehicle/character mock up a scene for them?

Is say this because the largest put off (for me) of the last challenge was to have a completely rigged character (the "untextured" was a bite in the arse too...) - so are we once again striving for a character completely revolved around geometry? Or the "finished" product/image... (i.e: a "statue" model opposed to a rigged)

I only say all this because personally I would find it hard to make a "PA" character/vehicle without textures (and I'm not too hot at rigging) - and of course, those creating an environment will have to texture it...

Also - if someone does make all three (character, vehicle, environment) - would that be allowed?

Still seems a tad confusing to me:confused: :(

Naz
02-02-2002, 07:24 AM
AJ_23
I think the focus is on how you display an element of a PA world. if that be with a character (and/or) vehicle (and/or)environment. with all of em, or focused on one of those components.

Hmura
02-02-2002, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by hb3d

Also what will be the rating system, how will the images be evaluated?

( once again )
We can use a similar system to what SOFTIMAGE has for their galleries :) I think it works great as it has the percentage on next to the pictures, but we must limit it to one vote per comp.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/Gal_Jan02/Gal_Jan02.asp

>>H<<

Wintermute
02-02-2002, 07:58 AM
This seems like a good place for me to stick my head in :D

In the previous thread (about the theme) I had suggested subcategories:

*characters
*vehicles
*environments
*mixed (for combos of the above 3, allowing solo or team work-as long as that's noted somewhere)

This challenge should probably be kept to models.

PA almost definitely needs textures, which makes the challenge after this one a logical time for a texture challenge (open to PA and pirates so everybody has a chance to texture something from the modeling challenges)

Howard Day
02-02-2002, 08:51 AM
I'd have to ask that textures be allowed this time. As much fun as pure modelling is, it's very hard to convey age and decay using only modeling methods. Textures are a must. :)
I'm looking forward to this one. I'm going to be entering a vehicle, while still working on my pirate.
Anyhow, great challenge, and Matt and Pascal - you know you will join. You can't stay away.

Toodles!

lildragon
02-02-2002, 09:15 AM
OK guys me and the other mods will be pruning these threads and moving them over to the past challenges forums.... as for the texture idea I would have to agree, but you also have to bare in mind texturing is an art on it's own, tho this is a modeling challenge, textures should be welcome, but won't necessarily count on the last votes.... we'll discuss this further ;)

Once again the Challenge begin Feb 4th - March 8th.... good luck everyone

seig
02-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Post apocalyptic...okay...Here's some imagination on the topic from the late 1400's. Of course the newest 'n hottest medium at that time was oil paint to render form and texture. Man I love Bosch.

http://muddybug.homestead.com/files/Bosch.jpg

Thought you medieval fans might appreciate this one.

salut!

lildragon
02-02-2002, 09:28 AM
awesome Seig :) ok I'll be closing this thread and posting a final post for guidelines...