PDA

View Full Version : 3D Max Cut Tool

.oO-cloak-Oo.
07-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Hello,
I seem to be having some trouble using the cut tool in max 4.2.
You will have to excuse me..Im still horribly n00bish at this whole 3d thing :shrug: Anyways, when I use the cut tool on an editable mesh or poly it really only effectively lets me cut from corner to corner on the polys. I can on occasion cut from corner to the middle of the same poly. Does it just let you cut polys in half into 2 triangles? Or is there some way you can cut in any fashion you wish? What I want to do is cut a diamond shape for an eye on a character's head. Also, I installed meshtools 2.5, but I have no idea how to use them within max. Please help! :)

neomato
07-30-2002, 03:20 PM
I had the same problem. For me this problem only occured when I cutted the edges using the perspective view. Try using the other views. Hope I helped you. Sorry about my english...

Joril
07-30-2002, 03:35 PM
Ok, about the cut tool, I had a similar problem.
Sometimes when you are cutting in perspective view MAX kinda snaps to the corners of the polygon, mostly because of the angle at which you are viewing the model. It works best if you are looking straight at the polygons you are cutting.
So rotate the perspective view a bit. I hope that solves the problem.

For the meshtools, I take it you have installed them already, go to "customize UI" then they should be in the tools list, make a new dockable toolbar and drag all the meshtools into it. Meshtools only work when you are in the editable polygon sub object.

I hope I didn't tell anything wrong because it's been a while since I did some MAXing.
Hope it helps.

soundwave_46
07-31-2002, 02:21 AM
I am having the same problem now, I can only cut once but if I want to continue cutting in the same comand without exeting it doesnīt aloow me to, so I have to cut again bit this way I donīt have a cleen cut though all polys, sux big time

dvornik
07-31-2002, 02:35 AM
Guys use MeshTools instead or wait for max 5 - it has a better cut tool and tons of other poly tools.

Find similar threads on 3ds max forum and add your questions there. Hopefully someone will explain you how to use meshtools. Meshtools have a readme file and a website with examples, you know...

rez
08-04-2002, 12:23 AM
He He, I am using max5 at work and I think that the max5 cut tool is kicking some ass. Perhaps better then maya's cut tool. And I love maya's cut tool! I think maya cut is still better because you can rotate your model and do a cut at the same time. in max once you start a cut you have to end the cut before you rotate : (

chrisdejoya
08-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Here's a slightly different spin on the problem, but first a backgrounder. I'm teaching myself Max, I only have access to it when I visit the production house where I trained, and take my word for it when I say there are no 3D courses to take in my country. :) So if this seems like a totally ignorant question, well... ;p

When I use the cut tool, the polygon isn't divided into two polygons like I see on tutorials. What happens is I get an extra vertex down the diagonal.

Could someone clear this up for me?

Thanks & cheers. :)

chrisdejoya
08-05-2002, 01:31 PM
well, here's a funny thing.. right after installing meshtools, my little problem seems to have gone away.

Chris
08-05-2002, 09:12 PM
you were probably originally working in editable mesh & now with meshtools are working with an editable poly? Thats pretty much the difference between them - editable mesh has a 'hidden line' triangulating the mesh which sometimes has a vertice added to it when cutting polys. Editable Poly doesnt have the same problem...

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.