PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp #9: Rouster - Japanese Warrior

kinkypuss
07-19-2004, 10:45 AM
the title of the challenge caught my attention immediately, couldn't resist..
will have a concept drawing soon..

kinkypuss
07-21-2004, 07:29 AM
Here is a quick concept sketch I did yesterday..
The armors will not be that plain, will add various designs to spice things later on.. :)
At starters I was thinking of adding a helmet too, but I decided not to cause I think there would be too few details indicating him being a rooster..

c&c welcome..

(just noticed I spelled rooster in the threads title wrong :argh:.. oh well)

*picture removed*

DigDoug
07-21-2004, 08:10 AM
what a cock

kinkypuss
07-21-2004, 12:56 PM
still trying to understand if your comment is positive or not..

ThreedyModeler
07-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Good concept- interesting choice of animal. Since you are leaving off the helmet, you could take some artistic licence and stylize the rooster's red comb on top of his head to look like the decorations on a Samurai's helmet and armor. Just a suggestion and good luck to you. :D

kinkypuss
07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
thnx DigitalSkunkwrx :)

actually am still not sure what i should do with the roosters comb.. but i was thinking of adding a few planes to the side of the head and place different feathers to resemble to the samurais hair style..
probably will start modeling him today..

kinkypuss
07-22-2004, 07:39 AM
started modeling, only an hours worth though..
started on the head, which has turned out abit cartoonish and some armor.. 834faces so far..
going to model the rest and then work on adding details and redefining the shape of the head..

*picture removed*

heres a close up of the head..

*picture removed*

c&c more than welcome..

George Dionisopoulos
07-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Very good idea man! Nice sketch! And the 3d cartoonish style it's awesome.
The roosters are great for cartoons style... dont make it realistic.

kinkypuss
07-22-2004, 02:44 PM
thnx George :)

RaoUUUL
07-22-2004, 09:36 PM
dont know why but i cant see the images in this thread..

Raoul

kinkypuss
07-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Raoul possibly the bandwidth from the server am using was exided.. not sure mayeb try refreshing the page..

only spend about an hour, didn't have enough time yesterday.. hopefully will spend some time over the weekend on this and finish the modeling phase..
heres a rough body with some armor.. poly count 3388.. will attach part of armor onto the body to save polys, probably will optimize over weekend..

heres a front perps view..

*picture removed*

heres a back perps view..

*picture removed*

a close up on the hands (temp for now.. will make bigger for a cartoonish touch, feather per finger..)

*picture removed*

and heres a close up on the feet (also temp..)

*picture removed*

not very satisfied with the model so far..
any c&c are more than welcome..

Isabelle
07-23-2004, 09:24 AM
I think the modell look great! Nice flow of the polygons. The feet and hands looks rely clean and cool!

But if you´r not satisfied, you could go for a more cartoonish rooster. Make him more chesty, like he is alittle puffed up whith his own importance!

(Nice puffed up rooster image on the net:
http://www.eryptick.net/oz2001/colourful-rooster-011025.jpg)

kinkypuss
07-23-2004, 10:02 AM
thnx Isabelle :D
you gave me an idea.. am thinking of breaking the torso armor into two pieces.. front and back.. that close with stings on the sides.. and make him more chesty with feathers popping out of the sides like it's about to fall apart.. what do you think..?
i'll model something and update when i get something worthy.. hopefully i'll have more free time on my hands..

Isabelle
07-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Sounds like a fun way to use all those polygons!

Go for it!

DigDoug
07-24-2004, 08:42 AM
still trying to understand if your comment is positive or not.. oh, it's just kind of a joke(lame) because a rooster is a cock also. thats about it. so far it's lookin' like your concept, keep it up.http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

kinkypuss
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
DigDoug, yea i know the rooster is also a cock, kinda caught me off guard i guess.. no worries.. :D

haven't had any time for the comp these days.. in about 10days will leave for vacations till end of the month.. so hopefully will have enough time to finish the rooster before i leave, cause i doubt that i will have enough time till the finish date when i get back..

hopefully by the end of the week will have new stuff to show..

Isabelle
08-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Well, I was going to say somthing about your entry.

The i read your signature..."..not suffering...enjoyiing insanity..."
Its funny! I want an own cool sounding signature too!

AndyH
08-05-2004, 08:19 AM
lol - it looks like a man samurai in a chicken suit, rather than the other way round!

Nice geometry, but i think you need to spend a lot more time on his proportions to make him more chicken like - he just looks too human at the mo.

kinkypuss
08-05-2004, 08:52 AM
Isabelle.. thnx, hehe :D

Andy H.. thnx.. about the look, you're absolutely right it's too human, so i already started to make a more rooster like body.. am heading in the direction that the rooster found some japanese armor, put it on and is playing bad ass.. :D

sorry for the delay, but i got a pretty tight schedule.. and now being summer doesn't help at all.. especially here in greece.. :D
thnx for the comments to far.. will have an update asap..

ArYeS
08-05-2004, 11:20 AM
don't forget polys for weapon.
I like it a lot.
Very good poly flow.

kinkypuss
08-06-2004, 08:37 AM
ArYeS.. i won't, am reserving around 300polys for the weapon.. thnx :D

old and new version beneath.. this is very rough, about 2420 polys.. still need to add hands/wings, planes for feathers.. redefine a few areas and tweak the whole thing.. am planning to finish the modeling phase over the weekend..

front perps view

*picture removed*

back perps view

*picture removed*

any comments on the new version..?
thnx

AndyH
08-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Its a big improvement over the last one. Proportions are better, but i still think his legs are a bit long. Have a good think about how a chicken would wear samurai armour as well - it kinda looks a bit sparse and stuck on at the mo. With big-ass tail feathers, it should look a lot better.

dacheese
08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
you finally did it, u said it now it's here a samurai chicken, nice but bro try to make it a bad ass mo...er u both versions look nice to me, though i'd prefer the second one is more funny imaging a fat "chicken" spinning around and slashing the cat ninjas...

A job well done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Oni I estel Edain, u chebin estel anim!
Arnon of Numenor, a blade dancer at your service...

dacheese
08-06-2004, 11:43 AM
Actually thats my second post on this thread and I still cant understand where is my first one so am writing down again me comments, sorry for that okie?

nice chicken bro, I have mine bloody, hehehe anyway, I like both the two versions but I think the second one is more appropriate, I've seen the other competitors and they seem that they prefer a more humanlike beast, thats wrong the animals have the shape of there own y r we trying to destroy that. Imaging the fat original rouster wearing armor and kick ninja cats... that would be something don't you think....

Well done ro, keep up

kinkypuss
08-12-2004, 07:47 AM
thnx for the support guys :D
worked abit on the mesh.. vacations start today.. won't touch the pc till end of month..hoping that 5days of sept will be enough..
happy vacations everybody.. :thumbsup:

Supervlieg
08-14-2004, 08:36 PM
Looks funny, I like the second version much better. I agree it needs some feathers in the back.
I like to know what you will do for the arms in the new version.

Be sure to triangulate your model for an accurate polycount. Faces are about double the count of triangles.

Isabelle
08-15-2004, 08:56 AM
I like the second one best to. Its funny in a nice way! And it has character!

GriNGoLoCo
08-16-2004, 05:22 AM
yes, go for the second one :) its way much better concept than the first one. And how are you going to model the "arms"? or wings for the matter?

later,
GriNGoLoCo

kinkypuss
09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Supervlieg.. thnx.. no worries about the poly count.. the number i wrote is true tris, not quads.. :)
Supervlieg, GriNGoLoCo.. the arms/wings haven't given it much thought yet.. will go for a more rooster-y style i guess, wings with long feathers to act as fingers..
Isabelle.. thnx :D

got back from vacations.. all relaxed now.. the problem is that am too relaxed and have tons to do.. heh :D
gonna withdraw from the comp cause there is no way in hell i can make it on time with my schedule.. but will continue it in the "WIP/Critiques: Game Art Design" forum.. will start a thread asap..

thnx for all the replies and best of luck to everybody in the comp..
roman

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.