PDA

View Full Version : game competition #9 - Samurai/Beatle

LeeSalo
07-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Never done one of these before cause of time constraints and stuff, but with the extended
time limit I will try this time.
I know there are all ready samurai and bugs, but I really need to build this model. I will put
ultra intricate designs on the carapace. I was totaly inspired by tyranids, the guys from "the
dark crystal" and the guy from frozen throne, probably some other stuff too.
tell me what you think.

thanks

http://www.junglemistmod.com/forums/uploads/post-25-1090105998.jpg

AndyH
07-18-2004, 01:13 AM
NOOOOOO!
The mighty LeeSalo is entering! its as good as won!
I groaned when i read 'samurai' cos everyone else seems to be doing one, and theres been somewhat of a samurai fad recently what with kill bill and last samurai etc, but your concepts are looking damn good so far.
Cant wait to see some tasty polys....

You spelt beetle wrong by the way :D
People will expect to see Paul Mcartney or John Lennon in samurai armour!

AdamAtomic
07-18-2004, 01:23 AM
way cool! will he have 4 swords? 2 katana and 2 wakizashi maybe?

EDIT - DUUURRR just saw those red lines, clearly he only has 2 arms, apologize for being an idiot :P

BurrowingDuck
07-18-2004, 05:25 AM
some will consider this nitpicking but...

1) beetles don't have 8 legs and 2) it doesn't really look anything like any beetle I know of (the most extreme nit-picking of all).

I'm sure it will turn out as a nice model, though :p

Serul
07-18-2004, 10:41 AM
Anubarak, anyone? :D Then again he was base on spiders...

Seriously this could become a very cool concept. And I think you can leave the second smaller arms out. But that's up to you.

Can't wait!

LeeSalo
07-18-2004, 08:39 PM
hey thanks for the words guys, here is an updated concept shot. I took some guys advice and
did some research on beetles and changed some shapes. check it out. the specular maps are
going to make or break this one.

http://www.junglemistmod.com/forums/uploads/post-25-1090179154.jpg

LeeSalo
07-18-2004, 08:54 PM
here is arender of what i got so far, 1500 triangles.

http://www.junglemistmod.com/forums/uploads/post-25-1090180354.jpg

proudclod
07-19-2004, 03:19 AM
Beautiful work there Leesalo! I love it... Looks simple and clean... Awsome!

Marc-OlivierBouchard
07-19-2004, 03:42 AM
I prefered the first "nose". Seemed to add some realism to the model. Modelling looking good though

hanzo
07-19-2004, 07:32 PM
LeeSalo, excellent detail with few polies, I was almost worried. great job on the concept art ( slick idea making it broken, better for modeling frame I imagine ) ;) I certainly hope there's more work that will come from other artists this good, anyway I'll keep posted and can't wait for the texture wip.

ninja noodle
07-20-2004, 02:42 AM
thats looking sweet so far! such a clean model and really nice concept! it does look very dark crystal. can't wait to see more!! ;)

kinkypuss
07-20-2004, 08:04 AM
looking sweet.. nice work so far LeeSalo :)

ENIAC
07-20-2004, 05:32 PM
looking realy good.....cant wait to see the rest

Batmanuel
07-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Looking good Lee. Quick question, is that a single mesh or a few pieces together?

LeeSalo
07-21-2004, 07:27 PM
now the model 2460 and I just have to model the limbs ( 1000 triangles = 6 limbs? ). for the
most part the mesh is all one part and could hold water if it were real. the horn and teeth
need to be finished, i will post more later. any one got any color ideas? I cant get my head
around RED, but its been over done.

thanks for all the feed back guys!
http://www.junglemistmod.com/forums/uploads/post-25-1090434062.jpg

Oldbean
07-21-2004, 07:38 PM
God thats cool. I think you should go for a red with black/silver highlights (I like black :thumbsup: ). If you really don't wanna do red, then a green could work well, or a blue, or a purple. I think you could pull off any primary/secondary colour, especially with such a good model. But you shouldn't go further than secondary IMO.

ThreedyModeler
07-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Super clean model... awesome work. Personally, I think emerald green would be a perfect color for the armor... or perhaps armor with inlaid jade... JMTC

Keep up the great work.

Dargon
07-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Very noice! My vote would be for mostly black, with irridescence on the shell, (possibly achieved through a reflection map?) multicoloured, shimmering, like real beetles.

http://www.oluolu.net/itatiaia/images/insect8.jpg

AndyH
07-21-2004, 09:00 PM
:eek:

Can i vote now?

hanzo
07-21-2004, 10:00 PM
wow:scream:, I was almost about to crit that the head was too small, then I thought about it a different way and I think you should leave it as is, that way it reflects that it's body is more massive in a comparison, your doing very well and I can't wait until you start the texture.

Prs-Phil
07-21-2004, 10:07 PM
cool .... :D

AdamAtomic
07-21-2004, 10:17 PM
way cool! That is an amazing amount of detail for a mere 2400 triangles, and the head is too cool, excellent work! I think I assumed that he would be shimmery irridescent navy blue, but red could be cool too. I'm imagining this guy in a game where he moves kind of like real beetles do - really fast, darting/scuttling motions - very scary!

Serul
07-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Nice update! I love the head and all the other details. :thumbsup:

However you're probably going to need to optimize the mesh quite a bit... but you already knew that. :D
I think that maybe the tail part could be slightly shorter, but that's about it.

LeeSalo
07-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok, here is my wip update. I've been stressing about the poly count because I still have the
arms to do and just over 300 triangles?!?!! Oh, well I saw some places i could optmize it think.
still not sure about the colors and texture design but what ever.
thanks for all the support and great ideas! Let me know what you think about my progress.

http://www.junglemistmod.com/forums/uploads/post-25-1090532121.jpg

Serul
07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
Sweet looking!!! :buttrock:

300 Poly's for arms... hehe, don't forget his sword :twisted: :D .

tatiana
07-23-2004, 01:29 AM
hey LeeSalo, really nice job on your model so far! I am curious to see how you resolve your polycount issue... :)

In case you haven't made a decision about how to work in colors and such for your texture, you might take a look at the "cuckoo wasp" as a possible reference. It has an interesting combination of turquoise and green for the head and mid-body segments and the abdomen is a rather brilliant ruby coloration. I've attached a sample that I found after doing a quick google.

t

yeluis
07-23-2004, 02:03 AM
looking very neat, nice job

Devised_Poly
07-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Awesome as always. Cant wait to see what you have decided on for the texture.

dtrimble
07-25-2004, 12:51 AM
From what I have seen of normal mapping, you could probably do one and do away with most of the poly count, especailly the belly steps and the leg step detail, also the detail height you have on the armor.

I would like to see him have more personality, right now the design is good, but if there was twenty other guys with him, what would make one stand out? How could the wings be incorporated, as movable armor or as a flight device? maybe as blades?

edit:Okay dargon:D , he could use a bump map and achieve a not quite as nice, but simular result of the steps effect he modeled.

You have such a cool thing going so early, I think you have time to push the idea further, good luck!:thumbsup:

Dargon
07-25-2004, 01:49 AM
From what I have seen of normal mapping, you could probably do one and do away with most of the poly count, especailly the belly steps and the leg step detail, also the detail height you have on the armor.

I would like to see him have more personality, right now the design is good, but if there was twenty other guys with him, what would make one stand out? How could the wings be incorporated, as movable armor or as a flight device? maybe as blades?
Actually, you'd be surprised. I've done a bit of dabbling at this point, and you can't really get away with too low a base mesh. You have to remember that Normal maps are essentially a complicated bump map, and therefore do nothing to the outline, and if there's not enough topography to the base mesh, you just won't get very good results. There's not much he could remove that normal maps would pick up. It's quite the complicated model!

But that's enought thread hijacking! If you want more info on normal mapping, read the normal mapping thread, and feel free to post questions, there's a lot of great resources there!

Slythis
07-26-2004, 03:32 AM
300 eh, i think you'll be able to pull it off, i'm sure you'll find something to optimize, this model is great, i'm loving it!

funkyrayuk
07-26-2004, 10:37 AM
looking good! good luck with the optimising!

LeeSalo
08-01-2004, 05:19 AM
I need some one to kill this thread. The beetle I was working on was first and formost for a game I am working on. It will be a boss model and I need to use more polys to get the design to look like i want it to. So I will start a new thread in the main game area.

hanzo
08-01-2004, 05:41 AM
:wise: wow I knew it was something like that!.. ah well that's cool, actually a real bummer man you need a wack for that~!:wip:

joken ..
best of luck.

EDIT: :shrug:

hmm, now that I think of it, Lee why don't you just make a more lowpoly one for the contest it shouldn't be that much work for an artist of your caliber, go for it..

why not make your cake and eat it to?

AndyH
08-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Bah! You couldve had a strong chance of winning the comp! go ooooonnnn...... try and fit the budget! If you work for a games company and they set you a poly budget you stick to it no matter what!
If you really really cant do this, then best of luck with it in the general forum - im sure itll look ace as usual

LeeSalo
08-03-2004, 03:19 PM
Sorry, I posted an image and had the wrong polly count. the model is 3900 right now and
i dont want to make it smaller

maybe i will start a new entry

dacheese
08-06-2004, 10:53 AM
bro i'll tell u one thing, i told to my best friend that i leave computers behind cause i thought i had enough, but wow now that I see your beagle samurai and the rouster of roman's, hell yeah you must count me on the next comp.

Good job bro keep it up.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.