PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 9: Giant Otter - Aztec Warrior

tatiana
07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Legends of the mighty Aztec Giant Otter warrior:

"Traveling northwards, to Mexico, we find the ahuizotl of Aztec legend. This is a small "water monster", said to wrap its tail around people and drag them to the bottom of a lake. There it eats their eyes and fingernails and pulverises the body."

Felt inspired, and I'd like to practice low-poly modeling since I have a bit of free time at the moment. :D

I'll post my concept art this weekend.

t

ElysiumGX
07-17-2004, 03:56 AM
Nice. I visited your site after you signed on to polycount. I love your illustrations, but you haven't displayed any low-poly work. The high-poly gallery is excellent. So, I hope you do well with this contest.

tatiana
07-17-2004, 04:49 AM
Thanks, ElysiumGX! I appreciate your kind words. :)

Been doing some research this evening about Aztec warriors, the various levels or seniority in the Aztec army, "uniforms" and weaponry...and here's a brief description that I'm using to help me create my concepts:

Uniform:
"Aztec soldiers who fought well could become eagle or jaguar warriors. The jaguar and eagle warriors were distinguished by their uniform and helmets, the jaguar warriors wore jaguar skins with their faces peering out of the animals head and the eagle warriors wore feathered helmets with a gaping beak."

Weaponry:
"An Aztec warrior usually carried spears made of wood, with an obsidian-edged blade, and a wooden maquahuitl (war club) which was about 76cm (30in) long. The maquahuitl had grooved sides set with sharp obsidian blades. Warriors also carried stabbing javelins and round shields with feather fringes."

t

tatiana
07-21-2004, 03:45 AM
Some sketch explorations to figure out what this character is all about.

I went from a strong, brutish-type that had more of a human torso, to a slightly more "friendly" but more otter-like character.

Don't think I'll be doing the eagle head mask as that hides the warrior's face too much...as it should since that caused fear in the enemy, but then since this is already a beast, I think it loses too much with it on. But, I'll do the other stuff - the necklace, metal armbands, etc. Still exploring that bit.

t
http://web2.airmail.net/tanja/art/sketch01.jpg

http://web2.airmail.net/tanja/art/sketch02.jpg

AdamAtomic
07-21-2004, 04:01 AM
oh man - that page of sketches for the brutish one is REALLY great! your sense of volume and proportion is really outstanding, i love it!

kinkypuss
07-21-2004, 03:01 PM
very nice concept sketches..
looking forward to see it 3D.. :D

Serul
07-21-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm lovin those sketches! :love:

Really cool idea. Good luck! :thumbsup:

ErikSvensson
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
very well done sketches :D 3d 3d 3d!! :D

Neil
07-26-2004, 01:23 AM
i would like to see the second sketch come to life. the first set is cool, but i don't see too much otter in there. the second one really says otter, and kinda friendly too. no one said all characters have to be mean and tough.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.