PDA

View Full Version : Game art comp 9: Soldier Ant medieval

tpe
07-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Soldier Ant - medieval

Great subject, will come with some concept some time soon, just for today it may have to wait as i have a 48 hour baby and wife to look after, wife is a bit older tho...

tpe

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 04:05 PM
Take care of that baby!!! I remember it was difficult enough for you to join a game with the Polyfraggers while the wife was expecting. Congratulations by the way!

MassiveOverHual
07-16-2004, 09:32 PM
i thought a ANT was a bug not a animal?

ill_logic
07-16-2004, 09:56 PM
tpe - congrats & good luck!

massive overhual - i asked about insects, & elysiumgx said they're cool. i'm doing a praying mantis myself

-J

BurrowingDuck
07-16-2004, 09:56 PM
bugs are animals, though... an animal is anything in the kingdom animalia.

tpe
07-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Grindo yeah its only because it s such a great topic that i dare even concider it :) hope i get somewhere or at least better than last time and a couple of frags in this time ;). The number of great ideas that have appeard is fantastic, there are so many that i would have liked to have doen too, the warhog the mantis the bear the rat etc, looking forward to seeing all of them.

MassiveOverHual they are one of my faves, so cleaver for such a little one too.

Ill_logic yes it was seeing your post that gave me the inspiration :) i am looking forward to seeing how the mantis turns out, let me know if you get stuck on references too.

BurrowingDuck does that include polititions?

here is a rough concept with a very vague style sheet, basically its an armoured warrior knight ant that will hopefully look mean in an 80s medieval way?!?

http://www.hairy-cockroach-fairy.co.uk/~tpe/soldierant.jpg

probaby normall mapped and a relativly simple texture. would like to put some chainmail hanging off but not sure where is the best place to put it and how to rig it for a pose, and possibly a flag with insignia over some part of the armor crusader style. any sugestions welcome.

tpe

gaggle
07-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey tpe! Congratulations on the offspring, that's terrific.

A warrior-ant is a marvelous idea. They're facinating little critters for sure. I thought it was posed a little odd in the sketch? Or "unrealistically posed" perhaps moreso, which isn't in itself a bad thing. Is it to get a more upright thing going? I mean ants tend to walk on all their six tiny feet and such, but I can see how that wouldn't neccessarily make for an empathic character.

Also the spear it has on its arse? Part of the armor I guess? Or at least I don't recall ants having much natural weaponry outside of their powerful jaws.

How large will it be? Is it to be a humansized ant, or like miniature armor?

George Dionisopoulos
07-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Nice idea man! It gone be a great soldier.
Including the natural armor he won't feel anything :banghead:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.