PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 9: Ox - WWII Infantry Sargeant

Equinoxx
07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
ok ok, I admit, nothing to creative or original in terms of era.
Just in this for the fun and the learning process. never really did any game-art.

so don't mind me, move along, nothing to see here . . .

besides this here concept art:blush:

http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/challenges/dogsofwar/oxSoldier.jpg

VinceB
07-17-2004, 08:50 AM
awsome concept!

Equinoxx
07-20-2004, 10:03 PM
ok, NEW concept. Decided the WWII things just wasn't gonna cut it.

spent less time on this concept as the previous one and it shows LOL

anyhoo, Tiger Knight Templar :)

http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/challenges/dogsofwar/knight_templar.jpg

Prs-Phil
07-20-2004, 10:08 PM
well I like the first one, it has potential if you keep is as stylish as the wip concept :d

Equinoxx
07-21-2004, 03:15 PM
yeah you're right, decided to go with the ox Sargeant after all :D

Equinoxx
07-21-2004, 05:47 PM
1st wip for this contest :)

needs some optimising and some tweaking, and need to find some good reference for the musk ox, front and side . . .

anyhoo

http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/challenges/dogsofwar/ox_soldier_01.jpg

Prs-Phil
07-21-2004, 07:04 PM
VERY nice topology, very good m8.
The geometry around the eye still seems a bit to much to me for the detail it needs and how close up it will be.Ž

You also donŽt really need the geometry in the inner part of the ellbow because it cant bend backwards so its to much ... 2 segs are fine

I also think the arms are a tad to big, allthough this guy is strong they look a bit bing compared to the rest of the body.

Keep up the great work, if you texture as good as you model youŽll be going for the win ... oh wait I still have to get mine started to ;)

Equinoxx
07-21-2004, 07:10 PM
thx for the comments mate, specially the part about the inner-elbow is rocksolid, very usefull to learn how to model right for games ;)

as for the size of the arms, it's a woolen overcoat, so it tends to be 'bulged'

and the detail around the eyes is just temp.

cheers.

RasTuS
07-22-2004, 01:10 AM
top notch work mate

keep it up

kinkypuss
07-22-2004, 07:28 AM
i like what you've done so far.. nice work :D

DogmaD
07-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Hey Equinoxx,

Concept scetch looks cool. Didn't know you were that good at sketching. :)
Model looks pretty good, good luck with the contest.

Equinoxx
07-22-2004, 07:57 PM
thx mate, but ehm, you're talking as if we know eachother . . . no offence, but do we ??
terribly sorry if we do, but I don't seem to recall ever having seen your username :blush:

thx for the compliment anyway :D

DogmaD
07-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Hehehe, its me, Victor, i worked with you at MCW. Talked to Jeroen a week ago and noticed your name in the image. Didn't know you were this active at CGTalk, lol.

Equinoxx
07-22-2004, 08:02 PM
AH victor, course I know :) didn't know you were at cgtalk as well mate.

yeah I'm active here, have to be, I'm one of the mods here ;)

anyhoo, nice seeing you again man.

RasTuS
07-26-2004, 07:47 AM
nah im australian i use mate to much i know :(

Equinoxx
07-30-2004, 10:34 PM
Rastus, I was talking to dogmaD ;)

anyhoo, model is pretty much finished, quite satisfied for a first try at gameart.

3431 faces in it so far :)

http://equinoxx.cgcommunity.com/challenges/dogsofwar/ox_soldier_02.jpg

AndyH
07-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Wow! thats looking great! Another potential winner....
Im glad you went with this one and not the knight, it has so much more character.
Really nice form and style. If i have to be super critical its that he looks more like a goat than an ox - i would expect an ox to be really bulky and huge.
Also, i think you could use another subdivision on his elbow, shoulder and knee to prevent rigging headaches. He seems well under budget at the moment.

Equinoxx
07-31-2004, 12:06 AM
yeah it's a musk ox and they are pretty damn bulky. I on;y took his head mainly tho, but I might beef him up to get closer to the bulk of an actuall ox. good point.

care to help me out with some linedrawing as to where to add some more subdivision for easier rigging ?

AndyH
07-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Its simply a matter of looking where it bends and adding an extra subdivision. I think the wrist has 1 edge too many - remove / collapse the points. I added a few edges on his torso to give a smoother spine deformation.

http://www.btinternet.com/~chunglist2/CGTALK/ox-soldier-02.jpg

Pezz3D
07-31-2004, 01:30 AM
this is probably one of my favorite entrys looks great, think he should be a bit more bulky body wise but other then that wow! :D

DogmaD
07-31-2004, 07:23 AM
Nice progress. I think it looks good, maybe a winner.

There are three things i noticed, not critical ones, but maybe worth a look.

The first one is that the lower leg, just below the knee is really pointy in the side view. This could be a design choice, but maybe an extra line would look better. It doesn't look bad or anything, and it would work if the style was everywhere in the model, but i only see it here. :)

The horn is intersecting with the helmet a little bit, hehe, nitpicking here....

The last one is really small, but i think the nose looks more like that of a sheep than that of an ox? Because sheep have this flat v hape at the bottom of their nose. An ox has this v shape but aren't the nostrils bigger? So maybe make the nose a bit more pronounced?

Anyway, all small things. The model looks very good and clearly has a style of its own. I hope you finish it, texturing models takes forever. ;)

Neil
07-31-2004, 04:38 PM
i'm going through the same sort of dilemma with my own, because I think these characters should be slightly more than just an animal head on a human body. It would be nice if the rest of the body also lead to an 'ox' style or something along those lines. Maybe a hunched back or fur sticking out of the sleeves/chest (sorta like the Scarecrow in Wizard of Oz), anything to make it look more 'animal' like.

Equinoxx
07-31-2004, 09:36 PM
thx for the crits/suggestions all.

I was allready planning to make him more furry like at least the head.
Most definitely need to make him more bulky to make him more oxlike for sure.
will look into the rigissues no doubt as well.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.