PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a BattleMech

Cobalt7
07-29-2002, 09:49 AM
I am currently working on a movie project, which involves giants battlemechs incrusted in real filmed scenes.
I made this model in poly (sorry, it's really poor: it's my first).
It's in one piece, skinned, and ready to animate.. (Done with Maya) I ve attached a preview.
How can i texture it to make the illusion as best as possible in the movie?
Somebody has links to Maya texturing tutorials???
Thanks...

(Woooh! My english is soooo straange!!!..):surprised

leigh
07-29-2002, 01:00 PM
Hmmm.... I hate to sound like the voice of doom here, but I really doubt that you will be able to get away with such a low-poly model in a film :hmm:
For fim work, because of the resolution that it has to be rendered at, this will never work...
If you were intending it's final output resolution to be in the region of 320x240, then perhaps you could get away with this, but I'm afraid that it won't work with film res :sad:

I see this is your first model :)
Well, it is off to a good start, but you need to refine it now, and smooth it out.
Don't start texturing it until it is smooth though - or else you often tend to run into problems...

As for Maya tutorials, hopefully one of the Maya users here will be able to help you out ;)

Cobalt7
07-29-2002, 01:49 PM
Thanks for advices.. I appreciate.. Concerning smoothing, i encounter a problem, cause i want to keep the "petal plates" aspect of the poly model. I'm working on smooth it while keeping "cubic" aspect. -hard thing for a beginner-.
For the redering, dont worry, i'll work on DV res (720*576) and the film isn't for a school project or anything of that kind. Just a pretty challenge for my friends and i.
:D So even if the result isn't professional, but fun, it's ok!

leigh
07-29-2002, 02:07 PM
Ok, I see :D
It's good that hear that you are undertaking a challenge of making a small movie - it's the best way to learn :thumbsup:

As for smoothing the model - yeah, getting it to keep those edges can be a bit tricky :hmm:
Why not try asking for some help in the Maya Forum (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=7) ? ;)
I'm sure you will find loads of help there!

Cobalt7
07-29-2002, 02:53 PM
Thx, i'm on my way. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.