PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 9: Lion - Roman Empire

DaemonMagus
07-15-2004, 10:24 PM
The first thing that popped into my mind were gladiators, and the lions and... yeah.. I ended up with this idea. This'll be fun!

I'll get started on searching for references and getting concepts done right now!

Edit: This is a little harder than I expected, does anyone know any good animal reference sites?
If anyone has references for roman armor, that would be much appreciated.

PhillipCrond
07-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Furry animals are tougher to find good anatomy reference of, but usually you can find a grip of great images on Google's image search, especially now that you can limit searches to "large" images.

AdamAtomic
07-16-2004, 01:07 AM
awesome idea! soooo much potential, very excited to see this one develop....

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 02:27 AM
This is one of the ideas I hoped someone would try. A Lion as a Gladiator. Perfect. Good luck with this. Alpha channels would look great for the mane.

DaemonMagus
07-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Here's my WIP concept. I wanted you guys to know what I'm goin for before I start on my model.
http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v243/daemonmagus418/cgtalk2.jpg
Edit: Oh yeah, and he'll have a tail, I just haven't put it in the concept yet.

Neil
07-20-2004, 01:45 AM
i remember Hero's Quest III had a whole class of lion warriors. Try doing some searches for that if you need inspiration.

DaemonMagus
07-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Here's my progress on the model. I'm fairly new to modelling so I'm kinda slow and I don't really know how far I can go with the polycount. After I'm done modelling it I expect to do a lot of optimizing. I'm trying to do it for facial animation, but I've never modelled an animal head before. I still have a lot to go as you can see, and the arms require heavy tweaking.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v243/daemonmagus418/cgtalk3.jpg

DaemonMagus
07-28-2004, 04:02 PM
I did the legs, shoulder pad, eyes, tail and made the arms a little shorter. Still need to do the thumb, feet, more armor, sword n shield, mane and the end of the tail. The polycount is 1994. Please crit away!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/daemonmagus418/cgtalk5.jpg

Edit: Small update, critiques would be very much appreciated. If any anyone has advice on how to do the mane, that would really help.

Neil
07-29-2004, 05:19 AM
use a series of planes and apply alphas to them.
did you want a more descriptive answer?

DaemonMagus
07-30-2004, 04:57 PM
I've done some stuff, all I really need to do is add detail and the mane. I haven't done the mane yet because that's the thing I have the least experience in doing and I didn't want to impair my progress on other areas. It's at 2518 tris. Unless this is the best model you've seen in your life, I'd like to know how I can make it better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/daemonmagus418/cgtalk6.jpg

AdamAtomic
07-30-2004, 07:38 PM
i think his waist could be a smidge thicker and higher, and some more detail could be spent on the tip of his toes there (not much, just a bit). the head isn't especially convincing as a large cat - it might be easier to look at a picture of a cougar or mountain lion to see the skull structure a little easier (soemthing without a mane you know). His eyebrows, forehead and cheeks need the most attention i think. I'd like to see his wrists, hands and ankles be a tad bulkier as well...lions and tigers are kind of famous for having very large powerful paws, and this would be a cool thing to include i think. His neck could probably stand to be bulkier too, but that may be hidden by his mane? not sure.

very cool model! i only gave so many crits because you asked for them ;)

funkyrayuk
07-30-2004, 08:24 PM
just 1 thing i notice that hasn't been mentioned- his thumb seems a bit short and thin, also are u gonna give him claws?

DaemonMagus
07-30-2004, 08:34 PM
I'm gonna bulk up the whole upper body, and I may reduce the number of fingers and make them more paw-like. I removed the strap on the sheath and just made it attach directly to the model so I can texture it on. I'm gonna do a little re-designing of the weapons and his general proportions to make em look more aggressive. Thanks for the crits guys, and about the thumb, I was kinda annoyed with it so I left it a little deformed. I'll get back to that once I get to the hands.

dacheese
08-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Very good mesh bro, r u gona put any more details or you are on the poly verge? How many poly is it again?

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.