PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp #9: Hawk - Naval Captain

Dargon
07-15-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm in, and I'm going to do a British Naval Captain from the Napoleonic era, specifically around the war of 1812, and he'll be part hawk. It seemed the best for a naval captain to have the eyes of a hawk. Don't think I'll go with wings, though.

I'll get some concept art up soon. :)

Dargon
07-16-2004, 03:33 AM
Well, it's not done, and it's probably a little on the too much side for a concept, but I bring you Captain Mongomery Hawke of the H.M.S. Sparrow.

http://www.daveclement.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/CaptainHawk.jpg

And now, I'm off to bed. :)

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 04:05 AM
Eye eye, Cap'n.

Very very nice. His name and the ship's name...very cool. I'm actually doing tons of research on the British Royal Navy during the early 1700's for a game mod I'm modeling for. I believe the blue uniforms like this one became regulation in 1748, and had unique decoration for each rank by the 1800's. So this looks perfect.

The concept is excellent. I like it!

Miroku
07-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Great concept so far. I just wish we could see his feet. Will they be human style feet/shoes or hawk feet?

Dargon
07-18-2004, 03:14 AM
Cheers for the compliments, I've gone way overboard with the amount of time spent on this, but it was a lot of fun! I hope the model turns out to be as much fun to do!

@Miroku - Boots I think. Going for a mostly human look, and no officer of Her Majesty's Royal Fleet would dare go around barefoot, eagle feet or not!!

Here's the updated concept, I think it's done, I may do a little extra on it, but for all intents...

http://www.daveclement.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/CaptainHawk2.jpg

ElysiumGX
07-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Wow. Just...wow. :bowdown:

Devised_Poly
07-19-2004, 10:22 AM
First prize ribon for concept art. Now get to modeling so you can win first prize in the comp!!:D.
.O.
/|\

Supervlieg
07-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Great sketch dargon!

kinkypuss
07-19-2004, 01:35 PM
very nice concept sketch :)

Neil
07-20-2004, 02:34 AM
yeah i would say you went too far ;)

in terms of character design, i think it would be cool to make the fingers even longer so they resemble individual feathers underneath those gloves. No one is saying you gotta make them 100% functional.

Isabelle
07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Nope, the consept art is not to much. Its a pleasure for the eye. Its niiice!
I think the collar style of that era is just perfect for a thick birdsneck.
Will he have some more "birdy" details, exept for the head? Like tail-feathers peaking out from under the jackettail?

Dargon
07-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Cheers everybody!

I'm thinking about adding more birdy details, but I'm also thinking that the design will hold up best if I just stick with the head. I'm thinking of it like how a lot of the egyptian gods were designed, with just an odd head on a perfectly human body. I think it would suit the lines the best. I toyed with feathers elsewhere, or with at least doing his gloves like The Penguin's from Batman Returns, but in the end, I think I have to stick to the original idea for this to work. I'm going for a fairly classic approach to this, in hopes of a really nice, well laid out model. I think if I add too many bird features, it'll become too cartoony, or at least comical.

Cheers for your input though! Keep it coming, I don't want to miss out on ideas, even if I don't end up using all of them.

ErikSvensson
07-22-2004, 05:47 PM
wow nice and detailed! me = loves it,!!,,

ElysiumGX
07-24-2004, 04:37 PM
I believe the long, pointed hands that you designed for the concept look perfect for this character. They almost appear wing-like.

And you could possibly add the knee high stockings with the breeches, to bring out more bird-like features. I think they were common during that era.

Dargon
07-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies, and the compliments! Thought it about time I show off some polys. Been a bit slow going, as I have 3 other projects on the go right now. The variety is nice, but I really have to start finishing some of them before I go mad! (that's not even including all the back-burner projects I've got going)

Here's the rough version, about 1700 tris so far, so I think I'll be able to fit in full hands for a change, but I'm going to add them later. It's been a while, I hope I can remember what they look like!

http://www.daveclement.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/HawkeRough.jpg

Dargon
07-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Mostly done the mesh, for a change I'm under, and have to figure out what to do with the extra! Yay 3500!! Got aobut 300 tris still, so I'm thinking a prop, an eyeglass, a sabre, or a flintlock pistol. Perhaps I can come up with something unique for the remaining count, perhaps I'll just stick to the period though...

http://www.daveclement.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/HawkeRough_02.jpg

terraarc
07-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Man very nice shape you've got there!! You actually poped up the 3d model from your concept!!

The eyes seem a little strange to me. I would also suggest making the fingers thinner so as to resemblle more to wings....

:thumbsup:

RasTuS
07-28-2004, 09:02 AM
the concept was kickass

and the model is tops post a wire when u get the change and can't wait to see it textured

Serul
07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Looking really nice there :thumbsup: .

The eyes look a little strange like this, maybe make the eyes face te correct direction so that the he has to turn his head to see in front of him, I think that's what most birds need to do anyway, they can't see drirectly in fornt of them.

dacheese
08-06-2004, 11:42 AM
very good concept and nice model, I can't wait to see the more detailed model.

Aboard the Flyin Dutchman.

Dargon
08-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Well, this ain't happening by the deadline. Been WAY too busy with time-sensitive projects lately, and will continue to be through Sepember. I DO plan on finishing him though.

Neil
08-25-2004, 01:40 AM
well atleast you finished the concept art ;) that was impressive enough by itself.

Isabelle
08-25-2004, 09:37 AM
Well most of the model look finished and with your amazing (and detailed) consept art, texturing will bee quick! So I have hopes of seing this one finished!

Dirj
08-28-2004, 11:09 AM
How about a napoleon hat? or the similar version of it that sea captains wore?

ElysiumGX
08-28-2004, 03:36 PM
This was definately a strong entry, and the concept was outstanding. I hope to see it finished one day.

ArYeS
08-28-2004, 04:35 PM
i have one idea, give him very big wings, it will looks very stuning

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.