UPDATE: ADDED SCREENSHOT OF WENDY

Meet the proud crew of the Candorian Air Force bomber Candor's Queen:

Ace - Daring pilot [Mouse]
Shellshock - Shy but excitable bomber [Turtle]
Wendy - Engineer [Bear]
Magellan - Radar Operator [Bat]

Devised_Poly
07-15-2004, 10:07 PM
Well, the first thing that comes to mind about a pilot is a fox, but i think we all know where that is coming from :). But seriously, how about a squirrel? I could totally see a squirrel dressed up in the bomber get up, with the scarf. I can guarantee a win right there cause he'd be the cutest entry. (:wise:guarantees made by Devised Poly should be taken by a grain of salt. Devised Poly is not responsible if the guarantee stated does not fall through) ;P

AdamAtomic
07-15-2004, 10:38 PM
yeah fox was the first thing that occured to me as well, but...well you know

squirrel isn't bad, though with the flight goggles he might start looking like a certain cartoon character...still mulling it over :)

EDIT - have decided! pilot will be mouse!

AdamAtomic
07-16-2004, 05:54 AM
http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/concepts.jpg

Early concepts - flight suit is based almost entirely on WWII Japanese fighter pilot flight suit, right down to the compass round his neck. Am trying to accessorize the other crew members, so that suit doesn't get too repetitious across the diff. models.

Nation represented is called Candor, these fine troopers represent the Candorian Air Force, logo forthcoming (and will be on armbands).

AdamAtomic
07-17-2004, 01:36 AM
redesigned Ace to look a little less, ah, furry if you get my drift...

http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/ace.jpg

A lot more potential for an interesting character here too!

Devised_Poly
07-17-2004, 02:44 AM
Coming along nicely. And I think going with the mouse was a good choice.

AndyH
07-17-2004, 03:00 AM
Looking really good. Nice concepts - youve obviously thought about this a lot. One thing though, how do I judge this entry, and do you have to post each character seporately? or can you submit them all as one?

.......Thats if you get it finished in time - 75% of comp entries seem to remain unfinished!

ElysiumGX
07-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Nice concepts - youve obviously thought about this a lot. One thing though, how do I judge this entry, and do you have to post each character seporately? or can you submit them all as one?

The texture limit and polygon limit will be used for all his characters as a whole. So he'll have less room for detail than the other entries. That was his choice. I would judge the entry as one whole effort. It looks to be a great entry so far.

AdamAtomic
07-17-2004, 04:03 AM
thx for the encouragement guys - it will definitely be a challenge to get all these of characters in under budget, but i'm excited to try it.

Also designed CAF logo, but it is a REALLY crappy sketch, so I'm not posting it.

AdamAtomic
07-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Ace's Low Poly:

http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/ace-model.jpg

Magellan's Low Poly:

http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/mag-model.jpg

hanzo
07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
nice on the concept work, I'm looking forward to the finished product. I like the way your design idea works, multiple character that are simpler use an all in one principle, creative.

can't wait to see the other characters and texture wip.

ThreedyModeler
07-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Concepts and models are looking great so far. Re-using texture space will be absolutely critical on this to be able to get all four characters looking nice and still be on budget. I am looking forward to seeing how you tackle that challenge. It looks like you are right on target for the polycounts. Good luck, I'm definitely keeping an eye on this.

Neil
07-20-2004, 02:28 AM
i liked the concept sketch without the wings better.

AdamAtomic
07-23-2004, 07:18 AM
http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/triofront.jpg

http://www.lastchancemedia.com/personal/adam/bombercrew/trioback.jpg

Have lots of other stuff to work on this weekend so I probably won't get to Shellshock until next week sometime. Here's the rest of the crew though!

PS - Wendy is the mechanic, she is a tad too large to fit in the plane

Isabelle
07-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Im sorry but I just have to use the word..They are so CUTE!

I like.
: )

AdamAtomic
07-23-2004, 07:41 PM
isabelle - normally I would cringe at THE WORD but in this case its encouraging! my gf was tired of me going "hey check out this new storm trooper with mega guns and death KAPOW", so i thought i'd diversify a little bit. they should really come to life with some normal and spec maps (like, have eyes and stuff)

ehulser
07-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Dude...are you gonna take that? She just called your characters....cute.....CUTE for god sake....isabelle, ya can't just go around slandering peoples work like that, its just mean! These characters are far from cute...they're the Canadian Air Force Bomber Squad of DEATH...Ace - Daring Pilot of DOOM, Wendy - Engineer of HELL, Magellan - Radar Operator of PUPPIES, Shellshock - Shy but excitable bomber of...well, it seems he's not here, but he would be of MORTAL TERROR, but he's still attacking someone else....the point here is these guys are not "cute" they're soldiers, and deserve respect for the love...

Awesome work so far man, keep up the cute work.

ElysiumGX
07-23-2004, 11:55 PM
They are so cute!:applause:

Ummm...sorry.

Isabelle
07-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Well I gueeees I could go for an compromise and call them "deathly cute". Dont want to be rude.

Behind the cuteness..darknes looming in the back of the eyes..waiting to get yaŽ so you better run faster than Forest....

Devised_Poly
07-24-2004, 09:30 PM
ahh, how adorable:D. That would be funny if you made a sparatic turn and made DOOM 3 textures for them..... but right now they are just so cute!

AndyH
08-09-2004, 12:58 AM
Any updates? have you given up?

AdamAtomic
08-09-2004, 05:56 AM
yo - haven't given up quite yet :) i've been juggling a bunch of different projects lately, and its crunch time at work this week...I will try and get shellshock's lowpoly cage done this week i think, and maybe some of my UVs too. The hard part will be forcing myself to get the hi-polys for the normal maps done...if i can get past there i will be ok!

AdamAtomic
08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
I bit off more than I could chew - so many other little projects cropped up between the start of this project and now that I just ran out of time. I want to thank everybody for their support, suggestions and encouragements. Swear to god I will finish one of these comps someday...

ElysiumGX
08-24-2004, 03:36 AM
You put in a good effort, and it seems you are a busy guy. That Tiled Texture Helper is a pretty cool little app. That must have taken your time away from this. Plus, I just realized you're the guy who was working on Blaine3D. I remember making a little truck in the program, and posting it.

Good luck with future efforts, and with the programs.

Isabelle
08-24-2004, 12:00 PM
To bad I dont get to see this finished...

Good luck with everything. And perhaps there will be some anomaly in roomspace that creates a timewarp and gives you some extra days to finish this. One never knows....
Hope is a strong force.

AdamAtomic
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Elysium - I totally remember that truck! Blaine has been abandoned...after finding Wings3D I had no reason to continue. And you're right, 3T chewed up a full weekend. I've been hitting crunch time at work lately, and my old college roommate is in town right now...good bye free time! That said, even these half-finished projects do wonders for my workflow - every time I make a model it takes about half the time the last one did. That means with this comp about 1/4 finished, I should be able to get the next one 1/2 done :P there is hope for me after all!

Isabelle - I think I may finish Ace in my spare time anyways, outside of the comp. He was a really fun character to work on, and that way I could salvage something from this project! We'll see...I need to clear my plate off a little more first, figure out some way to schedule some dedicated 3d time during the week.

ElysiumGX
08-24-2004, 08:03 PM
I totally remember that truck! Blaine has been abandoned...after finding Wings3D I had no reason to continue.
Yeah, there are a lot of great modeling apps out there. But, I love my Wings3D. I don't even consider the modeling tools of commercial packages anymore, because I know where my mesh will be designed.

Dirj
08-28-2004, 11:15 AM
I was looking forward to your textures, since that's what is the best part of your art (in my opinion) . but anyway, gl with life.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.