PDA

View Full Version : Feburary Challenge Theme Post Apocolyptic General

lildragon
02-01-2002, 02:52 PM
In agreement the first thread was not only getting long but a bit widespread.... I know there might be whining about closing it and so fourth, but we need to keep focus on what made the last challenge fun, with a set minded goal and a few limitations we were able to conjure up a vast array of characters, thus the fun and the challenge, not to mention the learning aspect...

Now there will be mechanical entries in the next challenge what we need to do now is fine tune how they will be judged,. Will the challenge be split into Characters, Landscapes and Mechanical creations whilst still under the PA umbrella? We need help deciding this as Jean Eric would be pleased to lend a hand in anyway to make the future challenges organized and successful as the first.....

So remember we need guidelines not rules, and also remember all interpetation is up to you in the end no matter what we decide, because when the time comes to model.. ie. who says there can't be a 50's PA character? as long as they fit in the guidelines, you're the artist it's all up to you ;)

So let's fine tune this baby...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Cerreto:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not saying the fallout theme is the only choice, but I'll use it as an example. Maybe I can help organize some random suggestions and thoughts, ok !

Part of these challenges are to do exactly what is bieng debated, be creative within some confines. It should make you think and research the story line behind the design and character of the enviroment and actors in it, along with the tools and vehicles they use.

Im assumming that this challenge is then oriented to the story more so than the character this time. Meaning everyone has the abilty to decide a vehicle, person or enviroment to model. Rather than doing a list of 10 must have rules: let people follow the situation of the theme something like the following

Post apocolyptic what we need to decide rather than specific character traits is what it is going to be like after a nuclear war and how it effects people, places,weather etc

1 . timing is this going to take place soon or in the distant future ex 10 yr 2000 yrs

2. the effects of nuclear winter the climate, color, damage the earth has taken: will it be frezzing cold and grey or arid and bright

3 Culture , are ther many survivors will it be warlike or peaceful after the blast, will people be forced to live underground, is there poison and disease run rampit. What would life be like frinedy hostile etc.

4 vehicles transportation , the need will drop or increase, how will it be fueled, will it be fueld? hot air baloons jeeps, pedal powered bikes , if its desolate large vehicles will be needed for long traves etc

5. Housing: huts, abandoned building ,cities, farms ,tribes

6. health accessories, will the air be breathable, will you need something to help if you go out? like gas mask ,would a weopon be needed like in the wild west and the dress heavy/ light

I think some guidelines like these that we all decide this time will continue to make the challenge different! We create the world and then bring it to life.

The suggestions for each will replace the rules that applied last time, for example instead of tall and skinny your left a lil more creativity by basing your character on a cold hostile enviroment where the air may kill you alone! This will give everyone plenty of creative freedom, but still fitting into the same chapter of a book

I am by no means the last word just trying to help keep things somewhat organised in a chaotic debate! Lets keep hearing from all of you !

Regards
Trav

Bytehawk
02-01-2002, 04:45 PM
Since we (almost) all agreed on a theme I think it is prudent to discuss the points in lildragon's post separately and maybe even with some kind of voting system so everybody gets his say.

1 timing

soon - recognisable
distant (5000 yrs) - still humanoid-esque qualities
very distant future - totally mutated vehicles/characters

2 effects of weather

arctic - freeezingly cold
moderate - Belgian/English weather
hot humid - paradise like temperatures
too hot to handle (Dune, anyone?)

3 Culture
many survivors
little survivors + reason ?
---
run for your live
peace forever

4 vehicles transportation

mechanical (mutated on present day tech)
-using old parts
-crafts have developed and have their own new tools/materials

organic
-DNA anyone?
-back to the 1500 's style horse and carriage style

5. Housing:
huts
abandoned building - cities
farms
tribes

all other suggestions welcome

lildragon
02-01-2002, 04:55 PM
I like where you're going with this Byte.... let's see what everyone has to say

Equinoxx
02-01-2002, 05:12 PM
that is indeed an excellent direction if I ever saw one.

I propose that as limits we choose 1 outof each of bytehawks categories.

so, for instance the limits are

1: it takes place in the distant future, where people still have humanoid-esque qualities
2: it's a freezingly cold climate and
3: there are little survivors due to nuclear fallout and a freakin dust cloud covering the earth
4: people use old parts for vehicles and
5: they are living in tribes.

it is just an example tho . . .

could go any diredction . . .

toma
02-01-2002, 05:26 PM
Hi again,

Well, i think i have had a narrow approach on the Post-Appocalyptical theme. That's why i was scared.

Now i understand what you wanted to say. And i find this really interesting. Because in fact you have much more freedom... I just thought you guys were only thinking to dark ambience, violence etc.

But with your explanations this is clearer for me.

So i'm in.

I like the idea of having 5 or 6 "themes" of "research". Time, place etc and trying to get a coherent environnement.

That is a great challenge. That would mean that we could have much more different and creative entries than in the first challenge. This moreover makes me think to that game on paper, where one writes a subject, then another person writes the verb etc and you don't exactly know where this ig going to lead.

So would that mean that everyone has to post his "theme configuration" (as said Equinoxx --> just an exemple) when he joins the contest and has a clear idea of what he wants to do ?

That could be one of the rules of it : first you say what configuration you're going to use (1. TIME : +2000 years 2. WEATHER : desertic etc.) and then post your wips.

What do you think of it ?

Hmura
02-01-2002, 05:32 PM
great ideas there ppl,
I like the post apocaliptic setting, and also the new "MENU" from which we can choose how to go about our next creation.
Im in :)

>>H<<

p.s. with the voting system has anyone noticed how Softimage have their gallery set up so that people can vote. Have alook at

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Galleries/Gal_Jan02/Gal_Jan02.asp

later all

baby
02-01-2002, 05:33 PM
hum...

The pascal challenge was simple 5 or 6 words and here we go everything was clear...

now it seems a bit complicated for me...

from 6 words we go on 6 paragraphs...huuuu... :))) (I'm only a human !!!!)

and this very original idea of futur thing...hmm...

I will only be watching this time I think...

good luck !!!!

lildragon
02-01-2002, 05:37 PM
Baby did you read thru the complete thread? :) http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=240 plus there's lots more interested bodies, so more ideas, hence bigger threads ;) so we're now breaking it down... I'd love to see you in this one, this is just the beginning stage

Hmura
02-01-2002, 05:41 PM
hmmm, :)

you know i did have an idea for the next challenge myself ( a bit too late eh? )

we can call it ' A NEW EVIL '
everyone creates an evil being that hasn't been created b4. Now this gives you a lot of options while creating as you need to create something that in your mind seems evil... not something already done before....

anyways... im rumbling on and on and on and on and.....

>>H<<

baby
02-01-2002, 05:47 PM
hum...no in fact...as I said I'm only a human (above all, working !!!!)

so I can't read everything !!!! that's what was appealing in the pascal challenge, i read it in 6 seconds (1sec perline) then woo that's cool I want to do it...

now I've got a radial blur in my head :D

AJ
02-01-2002, 05:59 PM
I agree - this all seems a little too chaotic... :confused:

Loads of input is obviously cool - however, i think the classic "too many cooks..." may apply here.

This could be the worst metaphor ever used by man, but do you remember in Robocop 2, when he had a nice simple set of guidelines - and the commitee replaced them with all their own little ideas and Robocop went spacko? - then he electrocuted himself and reset his guidelines, and went after Kain - who was in a robot too... and... erm, I think what I'm trying to say is that electrocuting yourself is a good thing. And dealing in drugs will get you put in a robot.

Or something...

_____(get's some fresh air)______

The best thing about the challenge was the simple rules to follow - a few restrictions and the rest was up to ur own interpretation of those guidelines.

*walks off hanging his head in shame for using Robocop as an example of a point*

Pistols
02-01-2002, 06:16 PM
check this one, wich is for me really cool, and already known in a Stephen king Novel "the dark tower"

btw :"if youre young, you love the work of daveMckean and other thing like 3d contest talking about PA universe ... check this book !"

1: It's not really well spoted in the time line, in fact in a kind of parallel universe, but with connections to ours so we can find anachronism organical mechnical vegetals (!?) structures structures

2 :you can find different kind of atmoshperic theme along the pages...forgotten citys in the desert, megacities devasted dry lands, rocky lands filled with other strange creatures, some human beings here and there ...

3 :Kind of primitive coutumes, mainly human, but with strange creatures just around the corner, and rather freaky !

4: By foot, mule, old railway, or hightec monotrain (Blaine the mono !!), something, slightly different from our space-time

5:as I say, some people grouped in village, NYcities-like underground civilizations... using high tech tools and old fadshioned ones at the same time

in conclusion

first of all ... i definitively need to improve my english ( im Exhausted)

and secondly, Its apretty wide PA universe, maybe too wide for this Contest, but , hey, thats terrible !

If anyone know other books like this one, send me a note !

NANONEEN
02-01-2002, 06:29 PM
I agree with baby, this new challenge seems to be a little bite difficult, it seems too large and the production is going to be too different to compare each works
I find that humra has a good idea, making an "new"evil, original, to have creativity with something banal, as a pirate

pascal_blanche
02-01-2002, 06:36 PM
why just don't keep the same recipe? one guy, one rule???
The hard thing is that we are now 100 guys who wants to start this one :D :D

dingo
02-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Some inspiration

http://www.thundarr.com/media/thundarr_movie.ram

Pistols
02-01-2002, 06:41 PM
The Pistolero and his mule ... what a program !
Its in my head since a few days already =)

Totitch
02-01-2002, 06:42 PM
Let Pascal Blanché or lildragon choose a theme...

And let 's work
the subject is nothing...only what we will made with this subject is important...

NANONEEN
02-01-2002, 06:43 PM
I think that the moderators have to choose a subject, but with rules has simple as the first challenge....

( en francais dans le texte: c'est donc aux moderateurs de choisir un theme alors?avec des regles simples)

Hmura
02-01-2002, 06:48 PM
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil Do you think this subliminal thingy works ? :) :)
new evil C'Mon ppl give me something to do :D
new evil lets make it fun
new evil
new evil
new evil >>H<<
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil
new evil

Totitch
02-01-2002, 06:50 PM
I'm ready to work!!!
Please Give me a Subject!..

Ehhh! NANONEEN... arrêtes de répéter ce que j'dis:D
Et pense un peu a travailler pour ton boss au lieu de faire le Padawans

Pistols
02-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Contest : "A guy"

sorry

Batmanuel
02-01-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey All,

I'm new to the list today...but I've been watching the Pascal challenge with great respect. Can't say how much it's rekindled my love for competition based learning (not to mention how well everyone on this list gives positively reinforced critiques).

As for the new challenge, I feel that the one character rule is good (though we would see some fantastic environments produced if we allowed it)....and that the mod's should decide the rules.

Whatever the challenge...I'm very excited to get started.

dingo
02-01-2002, 07:05 PM
Post Apocalyptic Tribal Scout (1000years from now), and their vehicle.

1. His/Her Job is to seek out and negotiate with other tribes
2. He/She has a breathing aparatus, a knife, a compass, walking stick, a gun, a tattoo

Weather- extreme, either extremely cold or extremely hot in different areas no in between.

Vehicle - has 5 wheels

Hope that helps.

Peace

MadS
02-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Ok, I admit I feel a little responsible for the way this has turned out. And I see that there are more than a few that can't handle some freedom of creativity. That's not a bad thing, but it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Anyway, I like the idea of a theme within a theme. Meaning, pick a genre(which we have: Fallout/Post Apocalyptic) and then pick a theme to express yourself... How about:
Survival of the Fittest or
Rusted Metal or
Broken Tech or
Experiment Gone Wrong or
The Pet or
The Assassin

etc....

If you can't find your own boundaries within these themes, then maybe you are just not as creative as you think you are. If you need more constraints, then why not make up your own constraints that fit any of these themes?

Anyway, let's not brew over this too long, as we will begin to overanalyze this thing to death, and a lot of people are going to get frustrated and lose interest (like me). Let's all just have fun!

Also, I think it might be a very cool idea to let people team up if they want to. For those of you that enjoy collaborating. I know that I enjoy working with someone to help me stay motivated, but it's not easy fining someone that's on the same page, artistically.

And, I'd like it if we were given atleast 8 weeks to complete this one, as many of us probably have full time jobs, with little time to spare. It would also give everyone a chance to polish up thier masterpieces if they want to.

stipen
02-01-2002, 07:14 PM
The contest rules shouldn't contain more than 15 words...My opinion!!

JoBbE
02-01-2002, 07:32 PM
hm I also think the challenge shouldn't be too complicated. and..well what about that system: the last challenge's winner + 2 or 3 runners up + 1 or 2 mods chose the theme for the next challenge using the original way: everybody choses exactly 1 restriction.
this way the challenges won't be too complicated and everybody *may* be involved in chosing the next theme if he/she succeeded the challenge before...

Batmanuel
02-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Definately some good suggestions Dingo. Are you talking about 1 character...or 1 main character with those qualities?

MadS
02-01-2002, 07:42 PM
Some more theme ideas that mostly center around a character:

Mad Scientist
Twisted Angel
Pain Giver
The Reaver
Unholy Priest
The Adjudicator(the judge)
The Nomad
The Fallen
Ronin
The Merc

SpaceMoped
02-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Can we start to work, or what?
Stop this @µ#!ing discussion and start it up!

SpaceMoped
02-01-2002, 08:05 PM
excuse me ...Didn't mean to be rude but:....why all male and macho subjects??
What about little girls , angels, pretty lady, or something more "GAY".... Be open for 3D sake!!!