PDA

View Full Version : from "no mem left" to "free all mem!!" ?

ninoaniceto
07-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Is there a program that closes everything ( and i mean everything ) to free up all your resources. Now, Im not lazy. But when your like me, and you use mem-hogs like a tv-capture card, win-amp, msn etc. you get pretty sick of always closing everything just so you can have the most of your resources.

so i was wondering if anyone knew any existing programs on something that would do something like this. it would be a great and appreciated help.

allseeingi
07-17-2004, 03:35 AM
What OS do you use and how much RAM have you got?

- allseeingi

ninoaniceto
07-18-2004, 07:18 AM
winxp 512 ram

..i was thinking maybe a batch program or something simillar
i dont really mind closing all these programs. i just thought other poeple shared my views.

Valkyrien
07-18-2004, 02:39 PM
just pick up another 512 MB stick:)

sundialsvc4
07-19-2004, 02:20 AM
... you get pretty sick of always closing everything just so you can have the most of your resources.
I'm a little puzzled why you feel a particular need to do this on Windows-XP. That system is a state-of-the-art virtual-storage based system and it is quite naturally going to show all physical RAM as "occupied." The figure will quickly approach near-100% and stay there. It's also naturally going to show a certain amount of paging activity, although if you have enough physical RAM it should not commence "continuous paging" while you are doing ordinary things. (If it does, buy more RAM.)

A system like WinXP (or any of the Windows-NT variants; ditto Macintosh OS/X and Linux/Unix) works with all applications and system-activities strictly in a virtual address-space, whose logical size is not constrained by the amount of physical memory present. It maps the so-called "working set" of the active processes into physical RAM, allowing the memory of inactive programs to wander out to the paging store... but only when actual competition for physical-RAM resources demands it. (It's "lazy" when it comes to actually writing things out... after all, someone might need that information soon.) It uses "leftover" RAM if there is any for menial things like disk-buffers and caches, always seeking near-100% utilization of physical RAM for some useful purpose.

Don't get excited about your system's utilization of RAM unless you observe continuous paging activity occurring while a program is running. When you see human-noticeable delays occurring due to "swap I/O waits," then it's time to add more RAM. You'll know when the computer starts to "thrash." ... :buttrock:

You will observe normal and periodic paging as things which aren't yet in-memory are requested, or new information is loaded, but that activity will quickly quiet down. It will not be continuous and you certainly won't see any "page steals" showing up on the Performance Monitor.

mastermesh
07-20-2004, 02:47 PM
set up the computer to only use the services it absolutely needs...

http://www.blackviper.com/

ninoaniceto
07-25-2004, 10:27 AM
dont get me wrong. i havnt expereinced any slowness or anything. its more a peace of a mind thing than anything. i just like working clean, without any hassles or distractions. memory resources was just a lame excuse.

stephen2002
07-25-2004, 01:30 PM
If it isn't slowing down then ignor the fact that suff is running in the background. I typically have close to 70 processes running all of the time because I use my computer for everything from TV viewing/recording to CG.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.