PDA

View Full Version : Memory or GraphicCard ?

3dnoob
07-15-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi .. i have one question
my current pc is

P4 2.4Ghz
Nvidia 5200FX <--- i know .. a lame card :banghead:
512 DDR

to speed up my work i probobly need to upgrade . ether graphic card or memory
bur for now i have money to by one of them

witch should i bye first ?
THANX

p.s.: on the tutorial video for 3ds i saw taht guy was sable to move around view without going down and presing the "hand" or "move the view" button ( i'm not shure of their real name, hope you know what i mean. ), so it must be some kind of shortcut ... anyone ?

tanisdal
07-15-2004, 07:56 AM
hi,

for me, i think the first thing to buy is memory, but it depends what you want to speed up...
if it's for the workflow speed take memory. but i'm not sure that taking a new video card without taking a quadro ( or an other professional card) will improve your computer... the Nvidia Fx are built for game... maybe they will speed up the viewport refreshing, but no more i think...

my computer is a athlon 1700+ (1.45 Ghz) and 1 Go Ram ddr and only a graphic card
GeForce 2 titanium... and i think it's still a good solution for modeling, mapping and animating... but for the particle flow and the blobmesh, it's unusable.... and for the rendering very slow... need to upgrade the processor (for a dual one)... and no money...

--the shortcut to move in a viewport without clickng on button is to click alt+click the third (the wheel button) button of the mouse in the viewport, that will turn it directly in a User-view...--

hope i help you.

sorry for my english....

jbw
07-15-2004, 08:47 AM
To answer your first question - I'd suggest you get the memory. Discreet recommend using 1gb and if you do multitasking you should see an increase in performance. I'd have thought your graphics card will be able to hold out.
As for your max interface question... try using your middle mouse button to pan, Ctrl and middle mouse button to pan faster and Shift and middle mouse button to pan constrained to one axis. Use alt and middle mouse button to rotate. Use the wheel to zoom in and out.

ta,
jbw

3dnoob
07-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanx for the help .. i'll get 512 more then ..
Damn, too bad that memory price is up right now .. i think it's up tp $80

thanx anyway ;)

Garma
07-15-2004, 12:23 PM
it really depends on what you want to upgrade.. If you feel like Max is lagging with large amounts of polygons and other GUI problems and that is what is bugging you, get a new graphics card (can't imagine that tho, 5200 should be ok). However if you want to increase render time, loading speed,script execution speed etcetera go for the memory.

sundialsvc4
07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Also remember that multi-tasking won't really help you unless you have multi-processors and a motherboard that is actually capable of allowing both CPUs to work at full-speed at the same time. (Not all of them do!) You also need to be sure that your rendering software can actually split the work among two threads and give each one affinity to a separate processor... and automatically divide the work in such a way that each CPU can completely ignore the other one.

Simply dividing the time of one CPU among two different CPU-bound tasks will only ensure that each one completes in slightly-more than twice the (clock-)time.

If you have a limited budget, go for memory first. During a render you should not see the disk-drive light wink on at all. If you do, then add still more RAM.

If your work involves a lot of I/O, how about a SCSI card and fast disk drives? The ATA/ITAPI drives that are commonly sold with PCs are .. cheap. The bus-structure of these machines is low-end, particularly in I/O, because designers know those machines spend 97% of their time running screen-savers and 2% of their time running Solitaire.

Beyond that... look at your workflow. Can you simplify your models? Can you divide the task into layers, render them separately and composite them together? No computer can perform well if you present it with a Herculean task. It might impose more work upon you, yet literally save hours of time each day.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.