PDA

View Full Version : A little design for job

CoolBird
07-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Here is a little cover design that i will be using to try to get a job as a layout designer (not too sure what you call them). Anyhow what do u people think of it. Could that get me a part time job?

http://www.digital-tutors.com/gallery/data/500/6188IC-COVER_DESIGN.jpg

Panupat
07-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Your choice of colors is so aggressive especially at the top with the bright green fighting with red and also orange red yellow blue, making the cover looking too dynamic for a magazine IMO...

The layout is also looking very crowded and disoriented. Those paragraphs to the right of the green case look like they are squeezed into a slum.

Compositionly you fail to cycle my eyes around the layout too. First thing I looked was the green case, then my eyes went down to the blue amps, down to the RGB letters and then out of the page.

Desturate the elements in the page and think more about keeping the audience eyes inside the layout :/

nunz
07-15-2004, 06:55 AM
I don't like the colors... it would be better on an issue of Highlights...

Usually, when I'm doing webdesign or something... I get a T-Shirt. I use colors that are on the shirt ;-).

It produces a neat looking color scheme.

Other than that, just work on the composition a little ;-)

Nolita
07-15-2004, 07:10 AM
Okay, this may be a silly suggestion, particularly since you probably allready have a ton of them piled up in your room. Here goes, why not learn from published magazines? I mean, they have entire art departments, and when they photograph something(s) for a cover or article, they well, photograph it. I'm not trying to be mean but these pics combined with the clutter look like cut and paste clippings.

Now I'm no expert, I don't publish magazines, I read magazines, but it kind of looks to me like you somehow managed to combine a cover with an article. It also seems to be trapped in limbo between Sunday circular and glossy magazine.

I get the feeling you tried to cram all your abilities into a single page/cover. An applicable cliche would be: "less is more".

A valiant effort. I can't tell what happened exactly, but I'm thinking it's your first time out of the starter's gate, and you got a little too anxious. It seems to me that once you get hired, you will have plenty of chances to be hurried and rushed(deadlines). In a way, it's kind of saying "Hey folks, this is what happens when I'm in a really big rush, and time's speeding by too quickly!" I don't think that's what you want your portfolio and resume work to look like.

So I think you should slow down a bit, since it's when you're not employed that you get to take your time.

WallRobertD
07-15-2004, 07:17 AM
thats quite a bit of information up front for a cover as well.

CoolBird
07-15-2004, 07:19 PM
thankx so much guys so what do think of this one?

http://www.digital-tutors.com/gallery/data/500/6188IC-COVER_DESIGN_2-med.jpg

EricMLevy
07-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Not to be a dick but...

High school called, it wants your design back. Zing.

Ok, just kidding...but not really. Here goes.

---

First thing's first. Go out, and look at as many PC Gamer, PC Nerd, Nerd PC, and other good computer mags as possible. Then, look at other high quality magazines and graphic design mags.

Now that you've done that, and you're back at my reply, here's what's next. Your font choice sucks. Is that IMPACT? Stuff look scattered about the design. The right side is too heavy. The "logo" is uniteresting, and what is "IC" anyways. You have a blue computer as the main image, yet the title is in SUPER BOLD RED. That's bad color theory.

Go read some stuff online about colors, their compliments, and stuff...get a book on it!

So with the blue computer and silver computer, use a blue that you find in the computer somewhere...use that eyedropper. Where you want to 'boldify' words with color (Hightech-News) [why would there be a dash in there anyways?] try using a different version of blue. But for each one, use the same blue. Keep to a LIMITED COLOR PALETTE.

Also, as a consumer of magazines, I've never seen one with a white background. Maybe Playboy. A white background with a simple photo of a hot girl. But other magazines have a colored background. Many of them use very simple stock imagery.

You outline all those products on the right except one. Why? Keep consistent. If you outline it, you could also fill in those areas with light grey or something. All the outlines should be the same color. You have random floating logos everyhwere. Why? Do they have those on PC Gamer? I'm not sure, but I doubt it. That "New X-Blade" thing...dont highlight the X red...it looks bad. Same goes for AMD and GeForce. Oh, and if you REALLY want to list the specs (which I wouldn't suggest...) do it in a more interesting way.

Fonts: Use one Serif and one Sans-Serif font maximum (yeah, you can get away with more, but you're having problems in your typography, so stick to two) OH...

READ ABOUT TYPOGRAPHY!!! Do you know what Serif and Sans-Serif means? Find out. And find out when and where to use them. Very important stuff. Some of the MOST important stuff.

TYPOGRAPHY and COLOR INTERACTION are key.

Also, the picture of the XBlade is ugly and stretched out. Get a different picture, this one sucks.

Also, your type goes to close to the edges of the page...give yourself more canvas size in Photoshop. Get away from those edges.

Oh man, I almost forgot...that vertical text on the right. NO ONE CAN READ THAT!!! And what the hell..."Just in town this week" No. No. It's not catchy. No. And then whole "first letter red" thing. Don't do that. Maybe in the Title. But of course, it would be a variation of blue or orange (orange being the compliment of blue).

You need to take a couple graphic design classes or READ READ READ and OBSERVE!!!

Good luck, and after all this typing, I hope to see a new version that is ROCKIN!!!!!

-Eric

mamurphy
07-15-2004, 08:40 PM
CoolBird,
Eric was a little heavy handed in his critique.....but he's absolutely right.

Also, don't feel upset if you think he was being mean. Welcome to the world. To me, this looks like a high school/local college design class project. A big problem I found in college (5-10 yrs ago/not an art school) was that the instructors knew very little about theory and less about technique.

Sure we had in-class critiques, but everyone said "that looks good" without really looking at the work. Without knowing your background, I can only assume this is what you have experienced. The only thing that will make you better is to have an honest assessment of your work, and this work is just unsound.

You certainly seem to have enthusiasm and drive. You just need to learn.
I won't repeat everything Eric said, but I will highlight that you need serious layout, color and typographic considerations.

Second to all of that, but still as important is your image selection and manipulation. You can always pick a newb by how they handle their digital image files. Over pixelation, unwaranted stretching, whacked out levels, and over/under saturation are all red flags.

Most important: when creating works for portfolios...TAKE YOUR TIME. This is your one chance to impress someone. If you need to take 2 weeks to make something look fantastic then take 2 weeks. You should never, ever rush something out just to 'have it'.

Study hard and learn well.
Keep it up and keep your enthusiasm and it will all pay off.

dck
07-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I think everything is still too "big", maybe u can hav some very small one. Like for the logos at the bottom, and some of the text as well. Give it more space! :)

The_Magician
07-15-2004, 11:05 PM
uumm.... on that second cover, did you just get the same image of the computer from the first one, and stretch it? It looks very.... tall. The speakers dont look round anymore, they looks like ovals, and the Sub behind the monitor, doesn't look round like it does in the first one, it is also now a nice oval.

Wait, on second look I see it is infact a different picture, but this one still appears to be stretched vertically.

mmesania
07-16-2004, 12:08 AM
I have to agree the composition is a bit clustered and the color choice a bit too bright, but despite that not a bad start. Good luck on your job search.

M. Mesania

SebastianPatric
07-16-2004, 06:15 AM
I won't go into too much detail because everything seems to have already been covered. Instead I will offer you a simple piece of advice:

Focus on one thing. The remaining stuff that needs to be included in the cover can be neatly organized in a collumn or something. If you do not have the ability to determine order by yourself, then there are people far more qualified for the job.

Nolita
07-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Well, I can tell you worked on improving it. I think it's better, and the reasons why it's not great have allready been coverred.

Umm, when I scale an image up, I click where the app says to costrain dimensions(the wording is different in different apps, but basically it lets you keep the dimensions the same but bigger.

Also, don't be afraid to use different colors with your masthead.

On the quick and handy end, do a search for colorwheel software. There are a couple of good shareware ones out there. The one I like best, because it's a good all around app, is Colorwheel pro. It lets you pick the color you like, and then with different options of complimentary colors, you get a preview of how something, like say a box or website will look with different combinations.

Yes you can get a book on color theory, and you should, but the software's a good stop-gap untill you can study up, and really understand color.
:)

CoolBird
07-17-2004, 12:50 AM
:sad: NEED MORE HELP GUYS:banghead:

http://www.digital-tutors.com/gallery/data/500/6188IC-COVER_DESIGN_3-med.jpg

gr8t100
07-17-2004, 05:02 AM
What program are you even working in for placing the layout? Doesn't appear to be Indesign or Quirk, which it definently needs to be done in.

CoolBird
07-17-2004, 06:36 AM
photoshop man all in photoshop.

berniebernie
07-17-2004, 10:51 AM
all I see are red X's

gr8t100
07-17-2004, 04:59 PM
ah, photoshop.

Well, a graphic design golden rule is that text is never created or layed out using adobe photoshop. Reason is because you're playing with pixels then are allowing yourself to limit what you can do with the text.

I would reccomend adobe illustrator for your text purposes, if possible. Plus Adobe Indesign for laying this piece out. However, if you are unable to acquire these programs, then I suppose you have no choice but to work with photoshop, which I then ask that you set the dpi for this piece at 300, the standard for majority of printing jobs.

CoolBird
07-17-2004, 07:23 PM
How Do U Set The Dpi To 300???

EricMLevy
07-18-2004, 05:07 AM
it's absurd to talk about DPI when the design is such a problem in the first place. To set it, go to Image -> Image Size...you'll see the dpi settings in there. Designing in Photoshop is fine. This isn't for real print work, and you don't have to worry about Photoshop's lack of good text tools. Also, when color theory is barely understood, then kerning is too far off to worry about.

oh, and the last version is an improvement over the last.

EricMLevy
07-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Can you send the PSD to me? I'd like to change it up to show you what I'm talkin about.

CoolBird
07-18-2004, 07:08 PM
MY msn is cgboy@hotmail.com if u add me i can send it to u. and thankx for all the help guy all of u are good people:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.