PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Competition #9

ElysiumGX
07-15-2004, 04:42 AM
Lekku laid out the rules so well from AndyH last time, I just yanked parts of his thread from last comp. So props to them.

This competition focuses on the basic areas of current games design, while expanding the need for research and creativity.

TITLE:

http://www.elysiumvisions.com/images/warbeast.jpg
Game Art Competition #9: "Beasts of Battle"

RULES/GUIDELINES:
Topic: Historical/Fantasy Military Creatures. You must design a character that will fit into a historical battle or wartime era (before the 1950's). Participants should concentrate on accuracy and decoration of the uniform/armor. To inspire creativity, the characters themselves must NOT be human, but rather based on any member of the animal kingdom. It's up to you how human-like your character appears. An actual chimp, King Kong proportions, or "Planet of the Apes"-like features for example are entirely up to you. Character can be male or female. The characters cannot be riden by humans. A rider must also be an animal. Emphasis is placed on how unique your character appears in uniform. Submissions must be your original work. Stretch your creative muscles.

To give more examples: Ninjas are not allowed, but Samurai are. Medics, Sailors, Warriors and Soldiers also allowed, as long as proper dress is designed. Dragons are not allowed, but dragons are basically reptiles. So a reptile-like being is fine as long as you specify your reference. Insects are allowed...etc.

The model must be 3500 TRIANGLES or less - including their weapons and accessories. Source model polycounts for normal maps (not required) are limitless.

Maximum texture size is 1024x1024 for body, 512 x 512 for the head. If the head, body and/or accessories are included into one map, it must not exceed 1024 x 1024.
If you fit the entire body of the character (head/torso/limbs) on a 1024 x 1024 diffuse map, you can use the extra 512 x 512 map for the armor and accessories. That should keep designs well organized for entries with heavy armor.

That gives you two maps total. One 1024 x 1024, and one 512 x 512. That is the maximum size and quantity allowed. If your design doesn't show enough detail to justify a texture that large...keep it smaller.

You may use your choice of maps available for game art - Diffuse, Alpha Transparency, Specular, Bump, and Normal Map. There's a new thread on normal maps, and nVidia has a tool for photoshop to convert from height maps, if you prefer. ORB is a free application and an excellent choice for creating normal maps from triangulated geometry, or simply viewing the maps you converted in photoshop with your textured geometry. You're not required to use anything other than Diffuse/Color maps, but outstanding quality work is the focus, and whatever you can do to bring you vision to life is a bonus. It's always fun to learn a new skill.

SUBMISSIONS:
Same as before, a thread must be started in the appropriate forum so feedback and progress can be posted. As in the previous contest, multiple submissions will not be allowed.

Your WIP thread should be named as follows:

Game Art Comp #9: (Animal your Creature resembles) - (Short Description of Rank or Class, or Era it Existed)

Examples:

Game Art Comp #9: Giraffe - Civil War
Game Art Comp #9: Killer Whale - Sea Captain

Make sure you post in your WIP thread, so you can get feedback as you progress. Half the fun of the contest is seeing the progression!

Within your first post, please show some sort of concept or reference. Also, share more detail about the rank and period of time the creature represents. In the example of "Captain", you could specify: "Captain of the Spanish Navy during the Napoleonic era". Each entry can be a short history lesson.

DEADLINE:
The contest begins with the posting of this thread, and ends September 5th. That's nearly 2 months to do your collective thing.
On September 1st, I will create a thread titled "Game Art Competition #9 Submissions". Your final images (all in the same post) should be posted there for judging. Posting a descriptive link to the images is fine and encouraged, with atleast one image displayed in the post to show off...preferrably the beauty shot.

Please do not make comments in that forum until all entries have been submitted and judging has started. Post comments in the individual participant's threads.
THE SUBMISSION THREAD:
After I have created the submission thread, you may begin posting the following until the deadline is reached.

Info:
Short Description of your Character, Uniform, and Period of Time represented.
A link to your original thread showing progress.
The polygon count (in triangles) of your completed mesh.

1) A concept image of your selected character and selected uniform. The concepts can be a quick doodle, but should be as clear as you can get them, showing as much of your idea as possible. A reference image of the uniform may also be helpful.

2) 1 orthographic front view, 1 orthographic back view, and 1 orthographic side view screencaps of the model. They should be viewport captures of the solid wireframe view mode (or equivalent), with no texturing visible. Compile the 3 views into one image.
Make sure you use default viewport lighting and hide any items that may obscure these screencaps (bones, lights, cameras etc..)

3) Selection of perspective images showing off your character at different angles, or in different poses (if rigged). Images should be compiled into one picture, and it must be no bigger than 1024x768.

4) Show us the texture for the character.
One image showing the color texture used. If you want, you can overlay the UVs on top to show them unwrapped. Also provide links to any other maps used.

5) The beauty shot. Pose your character somehow, and place him in his enviroment. The character can simply be standing at ease. Render it as you see fit, and use whatever methods you feel will portray it well. Make the image no bigger than 800x600.

JUDGING:
I need Judges to volunteer - As always, the system is...

3 points for 1st place
2 points for 2nd place
1 point for 3rd place

Judges are asked to give focused critiques in the areas of:

1. Mesh construction, flexibility, polygon density, topology.

2. UVW mapping and texture painting, effective use of normal maps (if used).

3. Unique presentation of the character and accuracy of the uniform, and overall artistic result.

Current judges are:

ElysiumGX
Andy H
Hanzo
Bentllama
Dtrimble
LeeSalo
Dargon

PRIZE:
The winner of this competition will get to choose the subject and terms of the next competition...

AND

GamingArtist.com is donating one Prima Official Game Guide of the winner’s choice for the CGtalk Unofficial Game Art Competition #9. The winner will also have an opportunity to win more prizes from GamingArtist.com.

Hope that's not too much for you. Again, do your homework, and take your time. Ask any questions within this thread.
Now BEGIN, and let loose the dogs of war! (pun intended)

Lekku
07-15-2004, 05:17 AM
This is awesome, because I am actually already making a character that fits into this category, but I haven't started him, yet. I jsut got finished with the concept.

AndyH
07-15-2004, 08:02 AM
2 months is a long time to do this - i really hope this will let the lazier modelers to complete their entries! Dont think ill be entering this comp again cos im busy on my own project, and once thats finished, im gonna try and make the silent hill-style monster ive been thinking of for a while.
Nice project idea though - good to see some scope for original designs.

Im ok to judge, right?

Best of luck, y'all!

Devised_Poly
07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Could you combine animals? Say, a half dog, half cat creature? Or even combine aspects of numberous animals together?

Dargon
07-15-2004, 10:51 AM
GREAT idea ElysiumGX!!

This has tonnes of potential, completely original, and so not fitting into the kinds of things we would've ended up with when designing by commitee! I have a few projects I have to do, but you'd better believe I'll be entering this one! (So no judging from me)

ElysiumGX
07-15-2004, 02:27 PM
I'll allow you to combine no more than 2 species. Be sure to list them in the title seperated with a "/". I was hesitant about this because I'd rather not see every entry have wings.:) So if the main creature does not fly, or has no reason to fly...try to avoid wings.

I also changed the time period allowed. It must be before 1950. You can go as far back in history as you'd like. Because of that, I'd rather not see too many WWI, and WWII entries. I'll allow a few, but I expect the rest to do their homework.:thumbsup:

Supervlieg
07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I like the idea. Time to get those creative gears into motion.

dubge
07-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Great comp i'm going to give it a try. i like the 2 months as well. good comp man!

bentllama
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
GREAT FRIKKEN IDEA!

I really like this challenge! I cannot take part, since I am HEAVY into crunch with Halo 2 at the moment...but damn...I wish more challenges were this creative in the future!

AndyH
07-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Less typing, more working!
The fate of millions of people are in your hands! If halo 2 doesnt make the release date, we will all sob, and then blame you! :scream:

Too bad you cant enter - ive not actually seen any of your work yet - ive never seen a (creative) post on here by you, and your site is always under construction.

Supervlieg
07-15-2004, 06:00 PM
The fate of millions of people are in your hands! If halo 2 doesnt make the release date, we will all sob, and then blame you! :scream:

Too bad you cant enter - ive not actually seen any of your work yet - ive never seen a (creative) post on here by you, and your site is always under construction.Yeah, post some Halo 2 WIP's why dont you ;)

AdamAtomic
07-15-2004, 06:18 PM
How important is the historical accuracy? Rather, is it cool to make a character whose uniform is clearly inspired by say a WWI-era fighter pilot, but not necessarily any specific nation or military group?

I think it would be a blast to make up our own country and army for our critters to represent, as long as the technology and styles are reminiscent of a particular pre-50's era.

EDIT - Andy H - Bent did most of an entry for the "old school game character" comp i think? Kid Icarus or something like that, I can't remember.

EDIT AGAIN - Can we do multiple characters, as long as we stay within the sum poly + texture range? E.g. 3 characters, each with a 512x512 texture and ~1000 polys each?

I apologize in advance if the questions are dumb.

CGmonkey
07-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm in awe.. I'm definetly going to join this one. This contest got potential to be the best so far!

ElysiumGX
07-15-2004, 07:37 PM
How important is the historical accuracy? Rather, is it cool to make a character whose uniform is clearly inspired by say a WWI-era fighter pilot, but not necessarily any specific nation or military group?

I think it would be a blast to make up our own country and army for our critters to represent, as long as the technology and styles are reminiscent of a particular pre-50's era.

Can we do multiple characters, as long as we stay within the sum poly + texture range? E.g. 3 characters, each with a 512x512 texture and ~1000 polys each?
Making up your own nation is fine. As long as your uniform has some historical influence, and represents your imaginary country well.

Multiple characters within the polygon and texture guidelines are also fine if you think it's wise. Some small animals hunt in groups...I can see where that could be creative.

I know my guidelines seem a little strict...but I honestly don't want to prevent anyone from participating. After all...their just guidelines. In the end...it's up to the judges to critique your work. But we're all here to have fun, and maybe add to our portfolios.

Whoever designed the front page icon...:thumbsup:

bentllama
07-15-2004, 08:05 PM

Too bad you cant enter - ive not actually seen any of your work yet - ive never seen a (creative) post on here by you, and your site is always under construction.yeah. yeah. yeah. I'm working on it! :)

i would LOVE to enter this comp...but I will have to wait until september when I actually get set free from the infernal dungeon of crunch time!

edit: september will be website time too...

bentllama
07-15-2004, 08:07 PM
Whoever designed the front page icon...:thumbsup:
Dargon...give your compliments to him...he provided me with the image to plug the thread with...all Dargon...

ill_logic
07-15-2004, 08:41 PM
sounds like fun. just wanted to get reassurance before i started to dig for reference & go to work... are insects cool? particularly, a praying mantis is what i had in mind. sorry, know you get hit by all these minute knitpikky questions like this, but just wanted to be sure. good idea by the way!
-J

decar
07-15-2004, 09:31 PM
i just wonder.. Is it 3d or 2d .. and must it be great? :)

ilasolomon
07-15-2004, 10:53 PM
AWESOME topic! ... and I am an 'Animal forms' freak!

thedaemon
07-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Why are Ninja's omitted? Because everyone would make a ninja??

DougG
07-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Awesome! I can't wait to get started on my concept

again great idea

Neil
07-16-2004, 01:15 AM
Could you combine animals? Say, a half dog, half cat creature? Or even combine aspects of numberous animals together?
If i see anyone make a griffin I'm gonna shoot you, for lack of creativity.

Kanga
07-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Make sure you post in your WIP thread, so you can get feedback as you progress. Half the fun of the contest is seeing the progression!
,..... and suggestions from others can result in a really unique design!

nuff said,

I'm hooked :thumbsup:

Greetings Kanga.

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 03:19 AM
are insects cool? particularly, a praying mantis is what i had in mind.
That would be awesome. I'm glad you thought of it. I'm asking for any "animal"/living creature that lives, or once lived, on this planet. Insect, Jellyfish, Worms...whatever. And uniform/armor that fits a specific era of military influence.

Why are Ninja's omitted?
Ninjas are just an example of what I don't want to see. Why? Because "ninja" is a common title. If you throw on black clothes, a head band, and a sword...BAM!...it's a ninja. Ninjas don't cover a specific era of history. Ninjas have been done. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm looking for creativity and historic significance...such as the shogun. Shogun, or originally, the Seii Taishogun title was given to military commanders during the early Heian Period for the duration of military campaigns against the Emishi.:thumbsup:

Now...I can't stop you from creating a "WWII Ninja Griffin". But the judges will not like you for you lack of historical research and creativity. And some of the forum members may insult you....severely.

So I encourage everyone...if you've seen it before, don't do it. Take the time to research.

Devised_Poly
07-16-2004, 05:50 AM
Here is a site with a nice variety of animals (http://www.sweet.by.ru/animals.html). Its annoying to navigate through(you will see why), but the pictures are pretty big.

MASTERSHOKHAN
07-16-2004, 07:25 AM
If I choose a medievil knight .......can I take liberties with the armor and still be judged equally.
Like design a crazy style armor or does it have to be straight forward ( no imagination ) armor.

mindrot
07-16-2004, 12:20 PM
WOOHOOO sounds like fun. I might even enter if I can find some time.... :twisted:

Bonzo
07-16-2004, 02:07 PM
might as well enter myself! no, not like that you sick perverts.

I was going to wait until this weekend so i could post concept works during the first post, but seeing as how others aren't, i won't either, so there.

I've got my animal picked out, but still looking for just the right kind of uniform and concept to fit it in. hmmmmm..

Great topic, no suggestions here, just beautiful.
Wondering if I'm going to include normal maps. I have used normal maps by converting and editing bump maps, but converting high poly into low poly with normal maps might take money, and money is what i have zero of. I also have zero inhibitions, but that's because i'm drunk. (like my avatar?)

ok, done blabbering, nice topic.

bonzo

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 02:24 PM
If I choose a medievil knight .......can I take liberties with the armor and still be judged equally.
Like design a crazy style armor or does it have to be straight forward ( no imagination ) armor.
Since you're knight won't be human, or possibly not of human proportions...you can go a little crazy with it. But not too crazy. Keep it recognizable as a medieval knight...and not a halloween costume.

I have used normal maps by converting and editing bump maps, but converting high poly into low poly with normal maps might take money.

ORB is free, and only took me an hour to learn all the ins and outs. It requires some text editing and command line know how...but nothing too difficult.

http://www.soclab.bth.se/practices/orb.html

AdamAtomic
07-16-2004, 03:26 PM
http://www.ati.com/developer/tools.html

ATI's Normalmapper utility is free as well - there are some custom builds of it floating around that can import .obj files and do displacement maps and stuff, its pretty sweet. I'm using it in combination with Wings3D and Milkshape3D - it's pretty cost-effective!

Bonzo
07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
thanks guys. once i get home, i will play around ! :)

i've also made a decision about my entry
a helicopter scout snail - i'm still trying to pick a battle/era to incorporate that into
thanks again

bonzo

Lee3dee
07-16-2004, 03:36 PM
looks like a good challenge :) can't wait to see the results. If i get some time, i'll try and enter.

Neil
07-16-2004, 07:27 PM
No offense, but we're all adults, just use your own judgement. It's a contest for fun.
If you think it's lame, don't do it. If you think you've come up with the coolest idea and exectue it properly, then how could we not like it?

ElysiumGX
07-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Exactly. Armor is armor. If you have a great idea...go with it. If effort is put forth, and it's something we can enjoy...you can't go wrong. Judging will be based somewhat on historical accuracy...but creativity is more important.

There are some great entries so far. I would never have expected as many in the first couple days. I think I may join as well. I won't be able to submit it, but it would be fun to contribute to the community.

I still need judges!!!

bentllama
07-16-2004, 08:58 PM
I still need judges!!!
you got one here...

dtrimble
07-17-2004, 01:29 PM
I can judge, I look forward to seeing everyones entries!

ElysiumGX
07-17-2004, 08:29 PM
New revision to the texture limits. A PM I just recieved made a good point. Most entries are still in the concept or modeling phrase, so this shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Texture sizes:
If you can fit the entire body of the character (head/torso/limbs) on a 1024 x 1024 diffuse map, you can use the extra 512 x 512 map for the armor and accessories. That should keep designs well organized for entries with heavy armor.

That gives you two maps total. One 1024 x 1024, and one 512 x 512. That is the maximum size and quantity allowed. If your design doesn't show enough detail to justify a texture that large...keep it smaller.

ENIAC
07-19-2004, 08:43 PM
hi,
does this "Beast of Battle" has to be an animal that can be recognizable
or can it be something that has a beast-looking form but it is not any known animal?

see i always wanted to create a Seth-looking-warrior.

Seth was one of ancient Egypt's earliest gods, a god of chaos, confusion, storms, wind, the desert and foreign lands.
Depicted as a man or as a 'Seth animal' the god is unrecognizable as any one particular animal today.

so my idea is to create a crature that would have a devilish-animal head, like the Seth and a body - much looking like a human.....dressed up in a ancien egyptian looking uniform+some kukhri like blades.....

is this ok, does this fit into the "Beasts of Battle" category?
tnx

ElysiumGX
07-20-2004, 04:00 AM
Seth

Egyptian god of chaos who embodied the principle of hostility if not of outright evil. He was associated with foreign lands and was the adversary of the god Osiris. Seth was usually depicted in human form with a head of indeterminate origin, though said to resemble that of an aardvark. He had a curved snout, erect square- tipped ears and a long forked tail. Sometimes he was represented in entirely animal form with a body similar to that of a greyhound.

An indeterminate origin egyptian god would not be judged.
I would try to stay close to the description above. An aardvark in Egyptian warrior dress would fit fine. Human body, aardvark body with human proportions...whatever suits you.

LoTekK
07-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Being that this is such a cool challenge, I'm going to make sure I set aside time to give it a shot. I had a quick question, though, which will affect which of my two ideas I'm going to roll with.

If I wanted to envision Erwin Rommel as a fox (of course :p), could I, say, take incredible liberties with the tank he commands and make it an elephant (I've already got some ideas as to keeping the elephant recognizable as a tank, function-wise)? Or would that be stretching the boundaries a little too far?

ElysiumGX
07-20-2004, 02:05 PM
ERWIN ROMMEL, (1891-1944), German general, known as the "Desert Fox" for his brilliant military exploits in WORLD WAR II battles in North Africa.

I think it's a good idea considering his nickname. But, the elephant could be a challenge. You would have to fit both the fox and the elephant together within the texture and polygon limits. It's possible, so go ahead.

LoTekK
07-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Cool, thanks. This should be fun. :) It's just like me to give myself undue duress on something that's supposed to be a learning experience. :p

ENIAC
07-20-2004, 05:20 PM
An indeterminate origin egyptian god would not be judged.
I would try to stay close to the description above. An aardvark in Egyptian warrior dress would fit fine. Human body, aardvark body with human proportions...whatever suits you.
ok thanks, thats fine

ElysiumGX
07-21-2004, 09:29 PM
GamingArtist.com is donating one Prima Official Game Guide of the winner’s choice for the CGtalk Unofficial Game Art Competition #9. The winner will also have an opportunity to win more from GamingArtist.com.

More details will be posted tonight.

Oldbean
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Sounds good (as if I'm gonna win :sad: ). Should motivate people to finish anyway. Cheers www.GamingArtist.com (http://www.GamingArtist.com) and whoever organised this :thumbsup:

ElysiumGX
07-22-2004, 06:15 AM
CLICK HERE (http://www.gamingartist.com/viewtopic.php?t=549) to see what's happening over at GamingArtist.com, and how you have a chance to win a great prize for your talents. I hope this helps to motivate everyone.

And remember, this contest will last through the entire month of august. Take the time to focus on every important detail.

LoTekK
07-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey Elysium. I'm trying to figure out if the idea I wanted to use was acceptable for the competition, or if it's too far out there? My WIP thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=156650)

ElysiumGX
07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Looks fine to me. But, you may be creating much more than I've asked. Honestly, I would use all of the texture space and polygons just for the character. It's easier for the judges to evaluate one character. You're allowed to create more than one character. But, adding a secondary character would take away focus from your main entry.

I would concentrate all your attention on the fox, if only for this contest. You may add the elephant later with seperate textures and such, possibly for your beauty render...but only the fox will be judged since it's character fits within the guidelines.

Just some advice.

LoTekK
07-22-2004, 02:48 PM
I appreciate the advice. In all honesty, I was starting to lean that way last night when I realized that this newbie had bitten off a much larger chunk than I could chew. :p I'll go ahead and concentrate on the fox, then. Thanks for the advice on using the elephant as a beauty render prop. That hadn't occurred to me as a possibility.

Dargon
07-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Congratulations Elysium, you've really hit a home run with this one! We've made barely onto page 3 of the challenge forum, with just this one challenge!!! I haven't seen this kind of turnout since the "official" days of the competition! It was a great idea, and people are really taking to it. Judging should be much more interesting this time, and much more time consuming!

ElysiumGX
07-24-2004, 04:21 PM
The submission thread is going to be huge! It's only been a little over a week since the start, and there's still over a month to go. I wanted to try something different, with more challenging guidelines. I joined CGtalk to participate in Game Art Comps #3 and #4. In #3, I placed third, and it was actually the first model I ever completed. I felt like I had learned so much, and found motivation from the thrill of competition. Tying with Hanzo in the last comp was great, but there were so few submissions. So, watching all these creations come to life, a result of my brainchild, is kinda exciting. Not to mention, Dargon, your concept is my desktop at the moment. I've been working on an 18th century British Navy Captain. A human one, but it was sort of the inspiration for this contest.

Dargon
07-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Not to mention, Dargon, your concept is my desktop at the moment. I've been working on an 18th century British Navy Captain. A human one, but it was sort of the inspiration for this contest.
That is the coolest thing evah. To think some person somewhere out there has my work on their desktop, I'm so chuffed!! I think that has to be on my list of goals... check that one off! Now I just have to actually get a game released... (just a few more short months. I can do it, really, I can. Can't I?)

ElysiumGX
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
A small update for everyone. We're now into the month of August. That means there is close to one month left in the competition, and we already have nearly 2 and a half pages of entries. Things will most likely quiet down a bit, we had an exciting start, but I expect everyone to make great progress. There should be more entries to come, probably up until the last week (like my entry in the last comp.:rolleyes: ) Before the end of the contest, I'll gather more judges.

The submission thread is going to be overflowing with talent. Take your time, do your best, stay motivated, and good luck.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. If you need help, send me a PM.

dacheese
08-06-2004, 02:26 PM
when the next comp will be on, to prepare my PC cause I have a faulty M/B.

ElysiumGX
08-06-2004, 07:00 PM
This challenge will be completed hopefully near the middle of September. The deadline is Sept. 5th. Afterwards we'll need time for the judges to reply, which I hope will not take longer than a week. Then, if the winner accepts, it's only a matter of time for the next idea to be posted. And I hope it's a good one, because I want to get back into the competition.

So if your entry is doing well, and there's a chance of winning, begin thinking about a creative idea for the next challenge that everyone can enjoy. As first place winner, your responsibility is to keep this train moving.:thumbsup:

AndyH
08-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Nice work with the plug, bent, but why point it to this page? surely its too late to start an entry at this point, so wouldnt it be better to direct the link to the forum with all the entries in? That way, casual viewers can check up on each persons progress.

satanatron
08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
....I'd really like to see a WWII Ninja Giffin now....

may have a shot at this one unless we receive our final project at school this week..

AndyH
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
"I'd really like to see a WWII Ninja Giffin now..."

are you joking???

satanatron
08-12-2004, 01:30 PM
yeah dude.....the mental image I got from that descrption was funny...(I wonder if I could change my username .........

ElysiumGX
08-12-2004, 02:29 PM
surely its too late to start an entry at this point
Never. There's still several weeks left. I plan on starting an entry of my own just for fun this weekend.

BobbyKarate
08-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Sounds like a good/fun idea, and I am going to join this one.

glynnsmith
08-12-2004, 04:15 PM
i wish i'd have had more time to enter this comp, work is pretty hectic and i have uni work to complete too...not that i'd have had a chance against you seasoned professionals...

i haven't been registered here for very long, and everyone seems to be really supportive of everyones entries so it's not really like a comp at all...more like messing around with buddies...

how long is it before the next comp starts...??? is it a monthly thing, or is it until the next dude comes up with a breif...???

Well done to ElysiumGX for making this one up too...the rules and guidelines are pretty thorough...must've took some time to do... :applause:

G...

KeepItEvil
08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Oh crap, I need to pay more attention to the other forums instead of just looking at the front page.

Im definatley planing on entering this one, but I have one question... well more of a series of questions realy but whatever.

Does the war in question have to be recognizeable by history?
For instance wars that happened that werent that significant as far as text books are concerned. For example durring the Roman/Greek era, or even more ancient ie... Mayan and Egyptian, Norse Vikings and Native Americans, ancient tribes of india(or anywhere eslse), .. Eskimoes and their battles with the evil penguins of blah. I Could go on but i think you get the idea.

Lastly, Will it be apropriate to combine Cultures as well as animals?

For example a Medieval Cavilry Knight with a Mayan Influence. so insted of him being 6 feet tall and riding a horse, hes a pygmi goat standing 3"2' riding a Wild boar with mayan carved platemail and feathers and shtuff?
Wow thats a realy cool idea.
Other ideas-
Roman/Asian Splice
Egyptian/Norse Splice
etc.

Oh and will pirates be allowed?
This is gunna be fun.

ElysiumGX
08-13-2004, 02:53 AM
1. Does the war in question have to be recognizeable by history?

2. Will it be apropriate to combine Cultures as well as animals?

3. Oh and will pirates be allowed?

1. Yes. The reason is because the guidelines focus on armor/uniform/decoration that were used for war or battle. Simple conflicts would be difficult to represent. You don't put on special battle armor when your neighbor steals your newspaper.

2. I really like the movie The Last Samurai. An american war hero in post feudal Japan. If you can provide and convincing concept and backstory, I don't see why not.

3. Pirates. No. Because it's such a vague term. You can slap on a wooden leg and a parrot on anyone's shoulder and call them a pirate, when in fact there is no proof of pirates ever having a peg leg, or keeping pets. During tough times at sea, pets would most likely be dinner. Those characteristics are born from fiction, Treasure Island I believe. I would suggest something more like a Privateer, or a rogue naval fleet. Privateers are considered pirates, but they actually followed orders from governments, and so operated as a military force.

glynnsmith
08-15-2004, 03:28 AM
so yeah...can anybody answer my questions...???

how long is it before the next comp starts...??? is it a monthly thing, or is it until the next dude comes up with a breif...???

and what happened to the other comps on the forum...???

i can only find a few entries for competitions 5 and 8, and most of those were buried in this comps thread...

cheers

G...

ElysiumGX
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
so yeah...can anybody answer my questions...???

how long is it before the next comp starts...???

and what happened to the other comps on the forum...???
The next competition starts whenever the winner of this competition decides.

The other comps are buried within the Archive thread, and probably deep within the Game Design Thread. I know there were hundreds.

Don't get so excited. Remember, this is Unofficial and a good reason to have fun.

ElysiumGX
08-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Only six days until the Submission thread is posted, which I believe is a Wednesday. The deadline for Submissions will be Sunday Sept. 5th 11pm EST. I would not wait that long. There is still a chance, so I would hurry.

There are many great entries so far, but there can be many more. Find a stopping point and have those works of art ready for posting. Those who have fallen behind, I would get back to work this weekend and finish what you started.

Just a little reminder to get moving! :bounce:

If any artists watching have some free time to spare, we could use a few more judges. Send me a PM. I'll start hunting down the judges from last comp if I have to.

georgevas
08-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Just a heads up… if you want to be eligible the $50.00 EB Games gift card you have an entry in this contest and in ours, located in our contest area at gamingartist.com (http://www.gamingartist.com/viewforum.php?f=36). You will still win one Prima official game guide if you just enter the contest on here, but that’s all. By entering both you have a chance to win “two” Prima official game guides and a chance at winning a $50.00 EB Games gift card. Remember it’s the same exact contest and rules so you don’t need to do anything special, you can only benefit from it so take advantage of it. Good luck to all…

ElysiumGX
08-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok, I hope everyone is finding a stopping point and happy about their work.

The submission thread will most likely be posted Wednesday (tomorrow) around 9am EST.

I will post the guidelines for submission, but I also ask that you please DO NOT post comments within the submission thread. Leave those to the individual threads, that will be linked to within their submissions. The submission thread is only for submissions, and then only for judges until all judges have posted. I say this because it may become a little crowded.:eek:

The deadline for submissions will be Sunday, Sept. 5th 11pm EST.

Judging will begin immediately afterwards. I ask that the judges take the time next week to critique the submissions when giving their results. I will be the last judge, and I hope to do so no later than Sept. 12th. By then, I will share my results, tally the scores, and pass the responsibility on to the winner.

AndyH
08-31-2004, 07:37 PM
I say this because it may become a little crowded.Hmm.... I was dreading the judging after the deluge of entries, but it looks to me that only around 4/5 people are likely to submit! :eek:

And i think weve all got a pretty good idea on whos gonna win......
(hint - he sounds like a duck)

Lets hope loads of people submit, and there may be a surprise or 2 in store..

Neil
08-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Hmm.... I was dreading the judging after the deluge of entries, but it looks to me that only around 4/5 people are likely to submit!

4/5ths of all entries or 4 or 5 entries? ;)

I'm thinking more along the lines of 5.

AndyH
08-31-2004, 08:08 PM
4 or 5......if that :hmm:

I think supervlieg, kwak, funkyrayuk and too animalistic are the only near complete entries ive seen. I may have forgot one or 2...

KolbyJukes
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
4 or 5? is that it?

So we can submit our final entries until the 5th...very good.

GUb
08-31-2004, 09:36 PM
Is it possible to start to post a new thread from the concept until now, which is nearly finished? Or am I late? (I haven't noticed that we MUST start a thread here)

This is my first lowpoly model so I don't think I will win, just want to know your opinions.

THanks

Neil
08-31-2004, 11:36 PM
4 or 5......if that :hmm:

I think supervlieg, kwak, funkyrayuk and too animalistic are the only near complete entries ive seen. I may have forgot one or 2... hey, watch it! .... i'm almost done ;)

Serul looks nearly finished too.

Serul
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah I'm getting there, some things to do still... but I believe I can finish it on time. At least when nothing goes wrong anyway. ;)

ElysiumGX
09-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Is it possible to start to post a new thread from the concept until now, which is nearly finished? Or am I late? (I haven't noticed that we MUST start a thread here)

This is my first lowpoly model so I don't think I will win, just want to know your opinions.

THanks
The guidelines ask that you show progess as you progress, and proof that if was started after the guidelines were posted. I'm about to post the submission thread, so unless you can work a miracle in 3 days, you're a little late. Wait for the next one.

ElysiumGX
09-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Submission thread is up, and will hopefully be sticky soon.

Good luck to everyone.

If anyone is interested in expanding their skills as an artist, I highly recommend entering Bobo's yearly challenge over at Polycount (http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Contests+and+Challenges&number=18). The topic is Elementals. 7500 triangle characters with normal maps. That should keep everyone busy while we wait for the next challenge to begin.

Dargon
09-01-2004, 02:36 PM
As soon as the deadline hits, I'm going to start another mini challenge, to keep things rollling between challenges. Watch this space.

The-Observer
09-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Yay, I was waiting for that Dargon. :thumbsup:

dtrimble
09-03-2004, 02:20 AM
Hey, I wish I could have been around more to critique, but I had a move and my motherboard blew(small fire ensued:p) Back online now, and I Can't wait to see the final stuff in the next couple days!

ElysiumGX, thanks for the heads up on the polycount contest! Sounds cool.

ElysiumGX
09-03-2004, 03:12 AM
Glad you're still here. Your post scared me. I thought I had lost a judge. Hope to see you at the polycount contest. I go by "GrindonitX" on that forum.

georgevas
09-04-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi all... we have our submission thread up now also, to go to it click here (http://www.gamingartist.com/viewtopic.php?t=646). Don't forget to post there also if you want to compete for the extra prizes. Best of luck too you all!

ElysiumGX
09-06-2004, 03:35 AM
Deadline in 30 minutes (11pm EST). So I hope everyone who chose to submit there work has. I may be a little easy on those who are late...or I may not.

Judges, I'm sure you have your choices and critiques already in mind, but please don't begin posting them until I give the word and guidelines. There are so many that I would still love to see submitted that I haven't heard responses from.

TRyanD
09-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Some freakin awsome entries, makes me not want to enter these lol for fear of getting pwned.

I still would like to see another comp thats easier for noobs :P weapon or map object oreinted ones.

No way i would have came close in this one....

Dargon
09-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Some freakin awsome entries, makes me not want to enter these lol for fear of getting pwned.

I still would like to see another comp thats easier for noobs :P weapon or map object oreinted ones.

Soon today, I'm going to post the 2nd mini challenge, that should keep you busy!

TRyanD
09-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Im still planning on doing the other one heh, i just havent had a chance to use it in anything just yet (been lazy not mapping or moddelling for a while playing games :P).

Devised_Poly
09-07-2004, 05:01 AM

I really didnt have a chance of winning either. Main reason I finished was for the judges' input.

Neil
09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
What gives?
The new contest is plugged on the front and this isn't?! Did i miss it? Was it that quick, or was it NEVER plugged?

AndyH
09-08-2004, 09:14 AM
yeah - i agree - the challenge got plugged twice, but not at the end when the entries are in!!

By the way, where the heck are the judges? Only 2 judges have judged. I wanna know what the next comp is ASAP!

bentllama
09-08-2004, 10:11 AM
create me a JPG the same size and style as the front page ones up there now and I will plug it. PM me where to find the JPG.

I sadly do not have the time this week as all art for Halo 2 must be done by this weekend.

mmmm Red Bull and wide eyes...no time for chit chat...back to work for me...

ElysiumGX
09-09-2004, 04:43 AM
Bent, if you don't have the time to judge...let me know. I'd hate to have an even number of judges, but I know you're a busy guy at the moment.

Dargon
LeeSalo
We could use your judging expertise right about now.:deal:

I've already started mine...it's a tough one.

AndyH
09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
its nearly a week past the deadline now - where are the judges?!

bentllama
09-10-2004, 05:11 PM
if getting a response from me by the end of Saturday night is too late, then count me out.

at the moment I am locked to a deadline for content to be delivered by6am PST on Saturday. we are working round the clock to put a final level of polish on the game...I will post when I awake from that coma.

ElysiumGX
09-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Saturday night will be fine. Good luck with crunchtime. I'll post mine soon afterwards, or first thing Sunday morning. Sunday is my fiancee's 21st birthday, so of course we're going to spend the night out. I hope to have this finished so we can all celebrate and move on to the next big thing. :D

LeeSalo...you're up.

ElysiumGX
09-12-2004, 07:28 AM
No response from LeeSalo. I hope you two can contribute soon. My choices are made and ready to post. I'll try to wait as long I as have to, but I'm ready to bring this event to a close.

ElysiumGX
09-13-2004, 04:08 AM
The time is now about 11:08pm EST. At 11:59pm EST, I will post my choices and declare a winner. I do this to coincide with GamingArtist.com's judging deadline. One hour.

bentllama
09-13-2004, 08:15 AM
please post the winners.

I still have not recuperated from crunch just yet...and we are still knee deep in it.

good work to everyone involved. this was one fun and killer challenge!

ElysiumGX
09-13-2004, 03:16 PM
FINAL RESULTS:

1st place with 11 points - German Panda Flametrooper

2nd place with 10 points - African/Roman Rhino Gladiator

3rd place with 5 points - Tribal Wolf Warrior

Congratulations to Serul for his winning entry!

AndyH
09-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Are you going to pass down the prestigious hot dog trophy that was handed to me when i won comp #7 (i think it was 7 anyway)?

ElysiumGX
09-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Are you going to pass down the prestigious hot dog trophy that was handed to me when i won comp #7 (i think it was 7 anyway)?
Ummm...about that. You see, I was kinda hungry this morning.

Serul, of course you know by now, the ship is your's cap'n. Good luck with organizing the next challenge. Take my advice and think it over. Make it open to as many as you can, but try to stay creative and original. Keep it simple, unlike mine. The Mini-Challenge received a great response, so this section may get a little cluttered. Feel free to discuss anything with me and others to help get started and what to expect. I'm here daily it seems.

This contest was a lot of fun to watch. I feel much more connected with this community, and I'll do what I can to improve my work and share them with everyone.

This competition kept me from a lot of work, school, and projects that I now to need catch up on. I have a website to update, and a FarCry mod that is begging for me to finish my assignment, not to mention my day job. It was worth it tho, and I'll be around soon to participate again once things calm down. Good luck Serul.

Thanks everyone.

Monkeybot
09-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks to ElysiumGX for such a fun idea, and to all the judges who gave critique on every single entry. I learned a lot from the focused critiques. I guess it's back to Photoshop texturing lessons for me! :thumbsup:

RO
09-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Congrats! Great work!

For the next big contest perhaps something having to do with environment design. Since I am more of an environment designer myself :)

Maybe some restrictions could be done with textures just like the mini contest but not so limited.

Lighting would be limited to vertex lighting but also burning in shadows.

Perhaps something like make a fantasy environment for an rpg with a 50,000 polys in view.

5 512x512 textures (alphas)

5 512x512 textures (No alphas)

4 32x32 textures (alphas)

2 1024x1024 (alphas)

10 Shaders

Time limit… if I am making a scene usually with this many textures and polys it usually takes around 3 weeks to do, but this is what I usually do so a good time limit would be around 1 to 2 months…

Just an Idea :D

Oldbean
09-13-2004, 09:42 PM
if getting a response from me by the end of Saturday night is too late, then count me out.

at the moment I am locked to a deadline for content to be delivered by6am PST on Saturday. we are working round the clock to put a final level of polish on the game...I will post when I awake from that coma.lol, i love the way bent refered to halo 2 as "the game"

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.