PDA

View Full Version : Targa files

Wycoff3d
07-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Will Painter 9 support targa files? I use Hash Animation Master for 3d work and Id like to use Painter instead of PShop for creating textures. Especially saving the files in targa format since that works better for Hash.
Thanks-

Jinbrown
07-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Yes, Painter allows us to save TGA files.

It does not allow us to Save Alpha, however, a big complaint from a lot of artists.

I would think you could create your textures in Painter, save the selection (Alpha Channel), save in PSD format, open in Photoshop, then save as TGA.

Might want to test it first, or if you don't have Painter 8, ask a friend to test it for you. I'd suggest downloading the free 30 day trial version of Painter 8, but it won't allow you to Copy or Save, unfortunately, so it won't be much help for this test.

Good luck! :)

Hawksmoor
07-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Another problem with Targas is (for some unusual reason) exporting them from Painter will occasionally create an odd abnormality where the resulting targas displays as offset or squashed in a 3d package. Resaving it in photoshop fixes the problem.

Personally I use painter at work a lot for texture painting - I have a large stack of rock, brick, wood, etc patterns I 'paint' with - and find it a flexible and useful tool for 3d. At the moment only the rubbish implimentation of targas and a few awkward implimentations of the trabsformation tools (they don't display in real time - they affect entire layers rather than the selection) hold it back from me being able to only use it rather than both PS and Painter.

So I'm ardently hoping these get fixed in painter 9 - I work with about 80 artists many of whom have expressed an interest in it - and would be far more likely to swap if it fixed these vital game issues.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.