PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk:FXWars!Topics

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 05:19 AM
If you have any ideas of good topic for this (If we do another) please post them on this thread.

Thanks,
-R

erilaz
07-14-2004, 06:56 AM
- "There's a bomb on this bus!" :D Let's face it, everyone likes exploding things.

HowardM
07-14-2004, 09:26 PM
How about a humanoid or creature made of stone that is crumbling as it does some action or by some external forces?

Im gonna enjoy these FX Challenges! THANKS Roberto!
:D

But no fair, the Maya, Houdini, and XSI guys should give some sort of handicap to us LW guys!
doh! :p

WhiteRabbitObj
07-15-2004, 12:39 AM
Here is a list of topics copy-pasted from the old threads about a TD Challenge:

meteor impacts a-la armageddon, new york scene.
supernova/ deep space explosion.
warp/wormhole spaceship arrival/departure.
solar flare.
waves on a beach.
water flooding streets/tunnel.
compositing - change sunlit shot to storm ridden melodramatic shot, or viceversa.
melt a human.
train derailing.
raygun shot.
helicopter hovering over - water|desert/sandy area|meadow/trees.
jet afterburner takeoff.
candle flame.
rig a quadruped.
rig a millipede/centipede.
create an effective procedural lavaflow material.
create a twister.
create a mushroom cloud.
create a scene that demonstrates and emphasises large v small.
make a shot appear underwater.
--------------
Expressions
On the simulation part we could try to recreate phisical effects
For example:
* Ocean wave hitting a light house
* Rain hitting some stairs
* Avalanche
* Twister
* Tidal wave
* A ocean liner being hit by a rogue wave.
* An ocean container ship being hit by a wave, and losing containers.

and on the expression we could recreate the functionality of machine and
equipment:
* Working Catapult
* Working Tank
* Cannon Ball
* a Wrecking ball
-------------
-Rube Goldberg machines

-Morphing

-Disintegration

-Muscular deformation (pick a part of the body and set up deformations simulating muscle and tendon influence).

-"Choose a difficult rig and build it" - this came specifically from the idea that it would be difficult to build a snake. But people could choose wings, tails, tentacles, etc. I've been playing with dynamic tentacles a lot myself lately and it's difficult to get believable fluid motion.

-Cloth sim (probably not using a cloth-plugin like Maya Cloth, but a softbody challenge)

-Secondary motion setup (maybe a preanimated rig or choice of rigs which people would be tasked with setting up secondary motion on).

-Lighting. Given a scene and tasked to light it. Create a mood and keep render times down, as if it were a production shot.

-Compositing. Given a source live action clip to comp a CG element into. Could be given a preanimated (but not textured or lit) scene to comp into live action plate.

-Water setup. Best sim of water, be it a glass or open ocean. Presets probably disallowed. OceanShader in Maya probably disallowed.

-Procedural animation.
----------

Lots of ideas. I didn't even read them all but I just copy-pasted the longer lists from the old threads. Lots of good ideas in there as I remember.

titaniumdave
07-15-2004, 04:01 AM
Wow those are some great ideas whiterabbit, got my head spinning just thinking about it. My idea is in your list but I'll mention it anyways. I think a fun challenge would be to simulate natural events like tornados, volcanos, etc. I'm looking forward to these challenges. :bounce:

D-Wang
07-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Transformers.... anything but the original... pencil transformer, monitor transformer, coffee cup transformer.... hmm i should stop picking object from my desk.. you get the idea :P

veanova
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I loved your trebuchet-challenge, how about doing more siege weaponry? Dynamic battering rams for example.. and maybe a challenge specifically directed at destruction, breaking walls, burning towers. And when you've run out of ideas you could launch a challenge where people could use all the stuff they've developed in the first challenges to create a battle scene! :)

Ok, getting a bit carried away now, but you get the picture :)

Srek
07-17-2004, 08:04 AM
How about some particle fun?
For private fun i created some kind of automatic dogfight.
Not a single keyframe or timer is used in the setup:
www.bonkers.de/download/tp_spacefight1.mov (2.2 MB)
www.bonkers.de/download/tp_spacefight2.mov (1.4 MB)

Cheers
Srek

animalunae
07-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Is the theme FXWars, in general or mainly medieval?

Well, how bout indeed doing more siege weapons?

Rams
Ballista's
Tensional Catapults
Torsional Catapults
Boiling Oil? Fluids anyone?

And then on a more current theme:

The firing mechanics of a rifle or pistol, should be fun, on impact you can add a speed impuls and spin impuls to the bullet to simulate the explosion... Same for canons

RobertoOrtiz
07-18-2004, 07:33 AM
OK here are some ideas that I have:

Atlantis Rising (Simulation)
Death of a Giant Killer Robot (Simulation and maybe comp challenge)
An Alien ship on the Capitol (Comp Challenge)
Killer Wave (Simulation )
Rag Doll Simulation (Simulation )
Tornado in my city (Simulation and maybe comp challenge)
Emergency Landing (Simulation )
The Quake (Simulation and maybe comp challenge)
F1 car crash (Simulation and should be done as a team challenge)
The New Ice Age (Matte and Comp)

And we can always go back to more siege weapons.

What do you guys think?
-R

Tuqui-tuqui
07-19-2004, 12:06 AM
How about we create a sub-forum for these challenges so the compositing threads dont get pushed down too quickly? :)

Flipped_Normal
07-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Sailboat. For realistic work, gotta go with a sailboat. Fully tackable of course. If you want it more complex, just add wind and waves...sailing through a storm would be cool.

takshaka.old
07-21-2004, 05:51 PM
hey ppl some really good fx ideas so far, heres my 2cents

1. flesh wound - shot by bullet, stabed by sword, bitten by animal etc - should show initial un wounded model then the wound perferating the surface and then the bleading or whatever; a bit greusome but a lot of people get shot etc in movies. wouldnt require a full char model could apply tecnique to a cube or whatever...

2. your gonna burn - object gets lit, burns and melts or crumbles to ash or whatever

3. demolition - ever seen those documentarys where they blow up old disused buildings....they have techniques of where to place explosives and the timing they all go off at, so as to get the building to fall pretty much straignt to the ground. it's quite a science apparently.....

anyway like i say just some ideas, hope to work on my treb at the weekend.

thanks
tak..

bentllama
07-21-2004, 11:03 PM
Mousetrap!

Just like the old board game...a series of events that end in one trapped mouse!

HowardM
07-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Yep! Any Rube Goldberg contraption would be cool!

slaughters
07-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Mousetrap!

Just like the old board game...a series of events that end in one trapped mouse!Good idea. An animated version of a Rub Goldberg machine: http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/pencil_sharpener.htm

RockinAkin
07-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Hey, I came up with a pretty cool idea (imo) the other day:

Dominos.

Have the person create an elaborate dominos setup, 1 keyframed trigger, and all the rest of the animation be dynamics of the dominos impacting each other and falling over.

The more outlandish and original, the better.

Clanger
07-22-2004, 11:31 AM
Don't know if it ever aired outside the UK but in the 60's/70's there was a TV program called 'Vision On' staring Artist Tony Hart. At the end of every program they had a contraption built by Wilf Lunn that revealed the end credits, this machine was always powered by a ball-barring rolling down a track tripping things as it went, every week was a different machine.

So the idea is to build a machine that starts off with a ball-baring set lose at the top, this ball baring will roll down tripping various events until finally revealing a sign with a message on it maybe some sort of tribute to Wilf Lunn or Tony Hart.

Crovex
07-27-2004, 08:42 PM
how about some more:

-> objects sinking away in a swamp
-> a spiderweb when a fly gets caught... or something else fals into it and it breaks (bot not entirely)
-> the breaking dam
-> alien like acid
-> pyroclastic flow
-> underwater eruption (vulcano or other sort of release of gas)
-> underwater explosion (torpedo blast - explosion and implosion effect)
-> the x-men 2 morphing effect (similar imploding effect, but more smokey fluid like)
-> crumbling or wrecking a vehicle (like the two trucks hitting eachother in the Matrix 2)
-> ice breaking of a gletsjer (or smaller breaking ice - caustics/sss anyone ? :) )
-> terminator T-1000 effect with a live action blend ( trying to integrate it as well as possible with a live action plate - planning your shot and making your own reflection maps. - or hdr maps if you know how)
-> crowd simulations driven by particle simulations
-> ghost like effects (mix between particles, live action, maybe fluids) like the ones used in 'Le prince blue' - very inspirational short btw)

This is an awesome thread - just mentioning something that might interest you guys... Allan Mc Kay just released his particle flow advanced visual effects dvd and it looks really cool.

ciao

pixel-abuse
08-26-2004, 03:51 PM
I really like the idea of the Rube Goldberg/Wolf Lunn machine - a series of triggered events to eventually perform some simple task - the Honda Accord advert is a perfect example of this and a great excuse to include as many different FX into one sequence. You can even set what the task to be performed is, how we trigger it is up to us.

Acree
08-29-2004, 12:38 PM
Transformers.... anything but the original... pencil transformer, monitor transformer, coffee cup transformer.... hmm i should stop picking object from my desk.. you get the idea :PHmm odd indeed but mabe a good idea hey?

Oh if anyone wants to do an ailen ship try this www.eldaronline.com (http://www.eldaronline.com) may help for ideas.

dbluewolf
08-29-2004, 07:56 PM
well well well.. lotsa ideas. now i am just waiting for it to start. I hope i can participate at this one :D
waiting waiting..
when is it starting by the way ya?

phoenix
08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
so when we going to keep off the animation....

regards

ambas
09-01-2004, 11:39 PM
i think a gigantic Tsunami would be good.

Acree
09-02-2004, 07:06 PM
i think a gigantic Tsunami would be good.
Thats a tidal wave isn't it?

ACantarel
09-25-2004, 07:20 PM
Maybe a sequence of an upcoming submarine? First the periscope goes trough the watersurface, then the tower and after that the whole submarine.

But this will cause in a lot of problems I think :rolleyes:
No idea how to solve this in one month.

André

ACantarel
09-25-2004, 07:24 PM
The destruction of the frozen T-1000.

Somebody gives out the model of him so we can be sure that everybody has the same model to destroy.
So we can have an eye on the dynamics and not on the character modeling skills.

André

Archetype
09-27-2004, 10:48 PM
guys how bout "A tribute Escher"
build a structure that looks like eschers waterfall concept
a bit of optical illusion one might say
http://www.klaverkamp.de/raetsel/bilder/optik-escher-wasserfall.jpg

this should be doable in 3d .. and might give some nice twist off's
and some realy original idea's

this could be animated aswell as still

just how u interprate it ..

some examples

http://66.70.254.100/art/Hash/Escher/AscendDescend.jpg

examples here (%0Ahttp://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/%7Ebengio/images/escher-print-gallery.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/%7Ebengio/images/escher.html&h=455&w=463&sz=80&tbnid=SCKBVwFanQcJ:&tbnh=122&tbnw=124&start=9&prev=/images%3Fq%3Descher%26hl%3Dnl%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%0A)

Acree
10-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Maybe a sequence of an upcoming submarine? First the periscope goes trough the watersurface, then the tower and after that the whole submarine.
André
Try doing a nuclear sub bursting out the water. I've got a picture of that as it is really quite impressive.:D

yan
10-14-2004, 03:01 PM
and what about a pinball animation? could be funny(...) to set up dynamics for such things... :)

Acree
10-14-2004, 04:05 PM
and what about a pinball animation? could be funny(...) to set up dynamics for such things... :)
Hmmm, i thinks someones already tried that, still could be a laugh i suppose?

sym
10-15-2004, 04:38 AM
Tornado crashing buildings will be cool :shrug:

c81
10-16-2004, 09:09 AM
I like the dominos Idea.

And the Rube Goldberg idea would be good. Sort of like that now famous car commercial, I think it was a Subaru or SAAB commercial.

Other Ideas

-Best Car Burnouts animation.

-Unusual Camera angle shots. Weird one sort of like the shots we saw on Robin Hood Prince of Theive, With the Camera on the shooting Arrow and the camera following the arrow. We could do this in 3d where the camera gets placed in an unusual orginal perpective that human eyes never see. I guess thats more suited to a CGtalk contest.

-Cgtalk Miss Universe and Mr Universe Contest :) self explanatory. All 3d models ofcourse. No Poser figures. Should be a good test in photorealism and beauty and we get to see which model saves all the worlds children.

-Best Pool/Billiard Shot

-Best Soccer Goal

Actually you could do alot with sports. Slam Dunks, Hole in One, synchronised swimming etc etc etc

erpel
10-16-2004, 05:01 PM
mm "reality intruding"

"cosmic horror"

"talking to inanimate objects"

"my imaginary friend"

'whats under the bed"

m0rph
10-17-2004, 10:18 AM
As someone suggested a few posts before this one, a tornado.. I think that'd be pretty cool.

"Twister" - Applicants must create a hyper-realistic tornado, and it must move dust and debris and everything. It must "eat" at least one house, and the house must get sucktioned away gradually (in other words, the house can't just come off the ground and fly away.. it must be destroyed in pieces, and these pieces must become part of the tornado's moving debris, and may break down even more once inside the tornado.) Debris should appear to collide when moving around inside the tornado. Animals like let's say a flying cow or two may be included if desired. Also, the tornado may run over a small lake and suck all the water away (changing colour accordingly too). Also lightning and rain may be present. Rain must be particles.

For references...
- rent the DVD for "Twister (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117998/)".
- Or check Google Images for the words "tornado (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=tornado)" and "twister (http://images.google.com/images?svnum=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=twister)".

Acree
10-17-2004, 01:35 PM
mm "reality intruding"

"cosmic horror"

"talking to inanimate objects"

"my imaginary friend"

'whats under the bed"
Sounds familiar didn't they do somehing like that in Monsters inc.? Anyhow how about something like a huge storm out at sea that could be pretty awsome i'm sure.

noclip
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM
I'd like to suggest an international city flyover theme. Comments?

Rass
10-18-2004, 10:48 AM
My ideas:

A water park attraction, man/woman goes down with water (wohooo!)
A glass rolling out on a table and goes down and crash
A speakers moving! music and crash! :)
A rain storming on a city
A simulation from a great sky to bad sky (good sky sunny goes to dark and storm rain)
A Boomerang!
Macarena dancing...... jojojo (fun)
Man goes down because water on the floor..

Sorry about my bad english.. :shrug:

Rass

ACantarel
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Hello all! Maybe some day, we can do this as a topic for a challenge?

http://www.cantarel.de/blast.jpg

Movie here:

http://www.cantarel.de/desertblast.wmv

This should be interesting enough to get a lot of people to join it.
A lot of rule based particle dynamics, volumetric rendering and action!

André

Acree
10-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Hey are those real, mmm could be interesting when you get past the bit of what the heck are they blowing up!

animalunae
11-23-2004, 01:38 PM
The scene where garfield messes up the livingroom, every bit of furniture comes down, that might be a thing to do with dynamics... could be fun

For those who haven't seen garfield. Garfield's home alone and mad at Jon for some reason, he knocks a rubber ball accidentally against a lamp, which falls down against something else and so on.

SuperMax
11-30-2004, 09:18 AM
The worlds most advanced coolest looking most complex Perpetual Motion Machine!

or

The Best Griswalds Family Christmas home. AKA best decorate christmas house.

or

best Fireworks show, with sound to ring in the new year.

Sir_Vuclan
12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
I like the explosion idea Acantarel posted. Though its kind of like the avalanche one that was just done. Using particals.

I also like the tornado idea.

A non animated challange would be nice, for those using 2d apps. Compositing and such. Like making a still photo of a rainy day or something. that could be done in both 2d and 3d apps.

one other idea. a wierd object is selected, (ex. - a belt clip for a phone) and the contestants have to make it into a convincing real world object. A building, car, boat, or something. The goal is to try and make the wierd object look like it belongs to the model created. The wierd object must look like the one given (shape) but could be textured to fix the contestants model
Anyone think thats a good idea?

NatXotic
12-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Why do people always want to see destruction?
i would like to see the opposite, a construction based fx theme.

Or the "Perpetual Motion Machine" SuperMax mentioned

colt
12-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Maybe because blowing up things is so much more fun :D Kaaabooom.

Regarding Robertos idea for a compositing challenge, what about the old "bring some life into a still" - meaning that you'd have to create an animated matte from a still picture.
Or turning a day shot into a night shot.
Maybe we should see who creates the best "beaming" effect. That would be really old-school.

vrljc
12-08-2004, 02:22 AM
If we are on the explosion route, I think this explosion takes the cake:

http://perp.com/whale/

http://www.perp.com/whale/video.html

Any takers? Oh, and yes I think we would have to animate people running from pieces of falling whale........... Ummmm, I think we can do without that part actually..... :)

-jon

dbluewolf
01-05-2005, 02:22 AM
hi all,
i was thinking why not we try to make a tsunami.. get a scene somewhere nearby ur house or a city or whatever, and see what tsunami can do to u.
there are a lot of sites and blogs out there where u can find video of destructive tsunami.

regards
D

slaughters
01-05-2005, 03:45 AM
hi all,
i was thinking why not we try to make a tsunami...Goodness. That sounds just a little cold and exploiitive to me given recent events.

RobertoOrtiz
01-05-2005, 04:12 AM
Sorry but the tsunami aint gonna happen.

-R

Popsicle_g
01-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Here it is:

A large tornado wreaking havoc in a large farm setting. There are so many dynamics in a scene like this, I think it would be perfect.:deal:

RobertoOrtiz
01-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Some future topics:
Ok depending on the success of the Comp wars, I have in mind other
subjects we can try.

The Invisible Man, Twins, Disintegration,
Power Beams and Adaptive Cammo.

For environments I have in mind things like:
Set extensions, The room is on fire, The snowfall, The rainstorm, My city 100 years ago
the quake...

A_M
01-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Things I'd love to see:

2D-3D Interaction
Sort of inspired by Escher's "Drawing Hands" and "Reptiles". Could also include things like vehicles or people stepping out from a billboard into the street or out of a movie screen into the audience.
Localized Temporal Distortion
Time elapses differently for different elements of a scene (preferrable with interaction across the time-speed borders). Things such as a person climbing on a flock of birds frozen mid-flight (or in slow-mo), or dodging through a crowd of people in "reverse", or objects moving between different time-flow settings (like through a some sort of weird force-field).

Crovex
01-26-2005, 07:10 PM
sweet, the localized temporal distortion idea sounds very interesting. That opens up a lot of possibilities for the effects themselves.

RobertoOrtiz
01-27-2005, 09:48 PM
More comp wars topics :

The shootout
War machines in the city (Tanks, Helicopters etc)
Digital stunt double
Flash freeze
Missing limbs
-R

Andreyev
01-31-2005, 10:16 AM
How about an old trap trick? You know, like in old cartoons (Tom&Jerry, Coyot etc) - when someone brush against the rope and all the system starts - small falling ball that switching water taps, water goes along half-pipe to the scales etc etc and finaly - some explosion or something else... Well something like that :-)

animalunae
01-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah I'd like that!

panki2004
02-20-2005, 12:20 AM
SUPER heroes in a city fight !! imagine superman vs.. ?? ... ?? a BAD superman .. lol ..

Acree
02-25-2005, 07:29 PM
SUPER heroes in a city fight !! imagine superman vs.. ?? ... ?? a BAD superman .. lol ..
Didn't that happen in one of the superman films?:shrug:

vrljc
03-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I am starting to get into "Match to Live Action" projects. I have found them very rewarding because they test you on a range of skills from not only matching your camera, but to lighting and compositing as well. I just did two projects where we duplicated an existing object in the scene and modeled, lit, and composited it so that the viewer was unable to tell which object was real and which object was fake. I did one using a still photo and another using a moving camera. My lighting and compositing skills tripled from these two exercises.

I think this a good idea for a future challenge and it also gives a lot of direction of what specifically to do.

-jon

slaughters
03-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Like the idea of the "Match to Live Action" project, BUT wouldn't the results be highly dependent on the render engine you own?

vrljc
03-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Like the idea of the "Match to Live Action" project, BUT wouldn't the results be highly dependent on the render engine you own?

Not really. I use the standard maya software renderer. Not too much to brag about that render engine. Although you will need a render engine that can seperate your render into the basic passes such as diffuse, spec, and shadow. I think most render engines nowadays can do @ least that. Those are the only passes that I need.

A lot of the project is done in post. I would think the project would come down to your compositing package rather than your render engine. Heck, if you are doing a still, all you need is photoshop!

-jon

animalunae
03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
For the next fx challenge I'd love to try a realistic tornado, super cliché I know, but let's face it, it's a very hard thing to get right and therefor: a challenge...

For the next rigid bodies challenge I'd love to do something like for example a character that gets pushed off a set of stairs or something like that. Some object melting would be a good challenge, not really rigid body but hey, should be fun. It's not much of an fx challenge, but a elaborate system to lower a bridge, with levers and chains and stuff like that, all for it...

Antediluvian
03-19-2005, 01:58 AM
Shapeshiftig Monster would be interesting.

A person transforms into a werebeast, perhaps while being chased through woods or similar, adding the additional challange to create an effect that doesn't break in different poses.

Gangstashers
03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
For the next fx challenge I'd love to try a realistic tornado, super cliché I know, but let's face it, it's a very hard thing to get right and therefor: a challenge...

OMG i was going to post that :)

Anywayz a Tornado challange would be great with things flying in the air and stuff... great :thumbsup:

Sheherryar

DevilHacker
03-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I really like the more mechanically oriented contests. Such as the past rollercoaster challenge and the current Moonshot challenge. So maybe an challenge were you have to build an:
-working engine
-another rollercoaster challenge (because one is not enough)
-the rising of the titanic
-mission to mars
-space combat
-tank battle
-futuristic weapon test

RobertoOrtiz
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
More future topics:

The Shootout
Angel Wings
Invisible man
-R

BenBolin
04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see the challenges be more open ended as far a subject matter, just give us a word or phrase and let us get creative.
Some examples/suggestions:
The Ocean
Smoke
Growth

Gangstashers
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Angel Wings sounds fine by me..

how about.. ehmm.. Anime Cartoon styl something.. mixing real with cartoon.. or i dont know anything similair?

Crovex
04-14-2005, 09:27 AM
how about disintegrating angel wings ;)
<*cough-Constantine-cough)>

utchamp
05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
How about a magician doing a trick? [you could really ham it up] Have a magician change someone into an alien or something for the hybrid.:twisted:

RobertoOrtiz
05-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Ok more topics...

The Building is on fire
My Ship (Virtual sets)
The Hangar (Set extension)
City in the Sky
Haunted House...(Sky Replacement)
My town as a battleground
My town 100 years ago
My town 100 years from now
Mech Combat
Telekinesis
The Stadium Crowd
holographic display
Twins
The haunted Manor
The ghost ship
The sand Storm
Monster Mouth (VFX makeup)
The Big Freeze
The Flying Car
-R

animalunae
06-01-2005, 12:45 AM
All for 100 years ago! And Telekinesis

kargath64
06-03-2005, 04:36 AM
"The Ultimate Punch"? Trying to animate a punch with the most visual "oomph" ... could do it for kicks too.

Roux
06-04-2005, 01:26 PM
How about a failed carrier landing - how badly failed depends on you...

This could be from any era since the inception of carrier born aircraft.

A tank crashing through a wall

Gigantic hail like in The Day After Tomorrow

A bullet ripping through some office furniture

Energising figures appearing or disappearing

The leaning tower of Pizza falling over

A ship striking a large bridge

I'll stop now:)

ScottageCheese
06-09-2005, 03:57 PM
"It fell from the sky"

Lolec
07-26-2005, 10:39 PM
invisible men i love that.... what about .. OMG i have super powers!

RobertoOrtiz
07-26-2005, 10:42 PM
invisible men i love that.... what about .. OMG i have super powers!

I like the superpowers topic A LOT. One cool ide is to do a fight WITH Superpowers.
-R

Joblh
07-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I like the superpowers topic A LOT. One cool ide is to do a fight WITH Superpowers.
-R
indeed great topic! looking forward allready :applause:

HowardB
09-25-2005, 10:28 AM
I’m ready and waiting for the next rigid body challenge

Some ideas

-Building demolitions
-Blowing things up
-build a complex motor/engine driven vehicle
-MORE projectile tossing machines!
-multiple legged spider like mechanical machine thingymabobers
- build a machine to walk or roll a provided obstacle course

animalunae
09-25-2005, 01:58 PM
-R

I like that suggestion, that way I can still use my telekinesis :)

When's the next challenge starting btw?

RobertoOrtiz
09-25-2005, 02:50 PM
The next challenge will start almost inmediatly since I want to do a halloween topic.

-R

DevilHacker
10-02-2005, 10:35 PM
The next challenge will start almost inmediatly since I want to do a halloween topic.Any Idea on the topic?

Also, any chance we can get another challenge that is related to space?

mexxmillion
10-03-2005, 12:48 AM
werewolf or some freaking transformation stuffs..
or.. something like flying brides of van helsing..:)

Dutchman
10-04-2005, 07:08 PM
werewolf or some freaking transformation stuffs..
or.. something like flying brides of van helsing..:)
Yeah...! Let's go! :twisted:

Some ideas for future FXWars, from my side!:

- A 'Harry Potter'-like-effects shot... Maybe interesting to have such contest just before the release of the 4th film? :) The trailer(s) of HP4 may inspire you... :buttrock:
- Something with water: maybe a watertower that's exploding, or that cracks open... (and floods a whole city). After some more FX-challenges you can put together a full VFX-film out of it! :applause: (like the 'Day after Tomorrow': a freeze, an avalanche, a watertower crashing, a carcrash, a coasterride!)
- A new Christmas-Coca-Cola commercial (maybe for around xmas itself ;) ). The current XMas-Cola-commerial (with the truck, and the countless lights), is really cool and moody, but it may be interesting to think about another concept of this commercial..! With some composition, camerawork and music this could be really cool (and some different of the other topics, that are all pointed to 'action & desaster'). Maybe a collaberation between the 'Filmmakers-challenges' and 'FXWars'? :bounce:
- Making just 'a commercial', for the iPod or so, so that people can put there full creativity in it! :)

Hopefully my ideas are not tó dull!
-Gijs

ScottageCheese
10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
O dude... I'm totally down with some random Magic Harry Potter effects! YES!... but dont make the challenge too long... just a month... cuz I'll lose interest after a while... haha

But yeah... Harry Potter stuff!

ScottageCheese
10-05-2005, 09:16 PM
I take that back... halloween theme... YES!

ACantarel
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Here are some suggestions for the next FXWARS after the Draculas Castle:

- Launch of a nuclear rocket from a submarine which is UNDER water.
The rocket launches from the submarine, goes it´s way to the water surface, the outer
hull gets off and the engine of the rocket starts. The blast interacts with the water.

http://www.cantarel.de/launch.jpg

Lot of effects like fluid dynamics, particle dynamics, volumetrics and some mechanical
stuff

- Air strike of a WW2 airplane against a german submarine which is on water
surface
Submarine is on the water surface while a british or american warbird approaches. It
starts firing on it with it´s mg or if it is a british one also with some small rockets. Some
of the munition hit the water, some the submarine. Finally the submarine explodes.

http://www.cantarel.de/airstrike.jpg

Lot of effects like fluid dynamics, particle dynamics, volumetrics and some mechanical
stuff

Within these topics a lot of nice modeling can be done, nice camera movements are possible and A LOT OF FX AND ACTION! :buttrock:

So what do you think? In addition with some music this can become a nice cinematic!

André

DevilHacker
11-09-2005, 03:31 AM
Any hint as to what the next topic will be? Will it be Christmas related?
Here are some ideas incase they are…
-War in Toy Land.
-Elf’s gone Evil
-Santa Vs Snow Yeti (boxing match)

RobertoOrtiz
11-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Ok here is a clue...

>>link<< (http://fusionanomaly.net/closeencounters5notes.wav)

-R

ScottageCheese
11-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, we get it, Close Encounters, Aliens... UFOS....

POST THE FRIKKEN TOPIC ALREADY!!! hahahah I'm getting antsy!!!

DevilHacker
11-10-2005, 02:54 AM
Ok here is a clue...
-RNice!
Aliens... Thanks for the 'clue' I am sorry if you had already answered the question.
With time off from school for TG and X-Mas, I think I might try to enter this one...

Angelbait
11-11-2005, 01:23 AM
you know i'm not much into sports but like some crazy insane sports thing would really suit this. like a basketball player cramming the ball so hard that the board shatters or like a massive zoom in on the leading car as it blows past everyone. something simple but VERY eye catching :P

hope i didnt repeat anything someone else said, and i apologize if i did

have a good one ^^

Dutchman
12-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I was just watching 'Tim Burton's - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory', and was thinking: what about a challenge where the participants have to design a new room with a new 'trap' for a child, and execute it into a small scene, ofcourse with the brilliant Umpa-Loompas?! :twisted: It would be 'quite difficult' but very cool! :bounce:

rquinn
03-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Challenge 13 -Demolition

A new structure is to be built in the spot an older structure is standing. Your challenge is to illustrate the method of destruction, wether by bulldozer,dynamite, etc. and show the building being put to the ground. You can go the route of the las begas strip famous hotel demolitions or the good old ball through the walls. Maybe even a jet dropping a missile on the roof.. (wink)
From little house to huge infrastructure your choice of target is free.

How does that sound?! I think its broad enough but still inbounds.

cheerio

jussing
03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
GALAXY.....

A vast galaxy like the Milky Way, with a volumetric spiral of particles. :)

(and perhaps a tiny spaceship)

- Jonas

H3ro
03-16-2006, 07:30 PM
-R.Quinn, you have my vote.

I would really like to do something like that, would be really cool

Trojan123
06-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Recently there's been discussion about the Transformers movie in production. One of the discussion points is about Bumblebee, that he is no longer a VW but will be a Camaro (he'll start out as an older one and will be rebuilt into a new one).

My idea is this: how about a challenge where we model a transformable Camaro Bumblebee. I've tried to model a transformable model in the past, and I haven't succeeded yet.

This challenge can give many an opportunity to model what they think Bumblebee might look like, and ot7hers an opportunity to come to terms with the change from the 80's character.

Whadaya think?

Chris

Bonedaddy
06-08-2006, 06:33 AM
I really think that these challenges need a more narrow definition. Are they:

1) "Effects TD" type tasks -- i.e. particles, fluids, and phenomena?
2) Compositing type tasks -- i.e. integration into real footage?
3) Story type tasks -- i.e. here's a story with an effect, now make it come to life?

All of these are valid, and the challenges can even ping-pong between them, but I don't feel like there's a good sense of cohesion to what an FXwar is.

RobertoOrtiz
06-08-2006, 06:38 AM
I really think that these challenges need a more narrow definition. Are they:

1) "Effects TD" type tasks -- i.e. particles, fluids, and phenomena?
2) Compositing type tasks -- i.e. integration into real footage?
3) Story type tasks -- i.e. here's a story with an effect, now make it come to life?

All of these are valid, and the challenges can even ping-pong between them, but I don't feel like there's a good sense of cohesion to what an FXwar is.

I like your ideas Jason. How would you focus us more? Could you give an example?

-R

Bonedaddy
06-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Well, following the definitions I've given above, sample projects for each might include:

1) Supernova, demolition, meteor strike, tornado, earthquake, blizzard, tidal wave, avalanche, thunderstorm, dragon ball z-style fight
2) Face replacement, 2d set extensions/replacements, actor deformations (bug under skin, stretchy arms, etc), actor transformations/morphs, someone flying around, integration of cg object/character into live action, object tracking (e.g. bullet wounds, muzzle flashes, a cyborg's exposed metal skeleton...)
3) The aforementioned Bumblebee/Transformers idea, skeletons rising from the grave, trees bending branches down and trapping someone, a spaceship landing, basically anything that you can think of; not necessarily effects-related, more like a mini cgchallenge

RobertoOrtiz
06-11-2006, 04:57 AM
some cool horror topics like:
Missing limbs, the werewolf and the Vampire...

-R

5sense
06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
hi all...
in first time I would want to introduce myself:
my name is miodrag and i'm a younger digital compositor.
i'm working for a full 3d movie in italy likely compositing and color grading/lighting.
i know well flame/flint and little less shake/combustion for compositing/vfx.
I have begun nearly two years ago.
i've read all thread and i'm interessed to enjoy for next fxwars, how can i?!
I have not understood the terms of participation...where i get?!?
thanks...
:-)

RobertoOrtiz
06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
5sense welcome man!

I will post some rules soon on how to join us on the next challenge. :)

And to all reading this:
This is the direction I would like to take the forum in:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=356666

-R

5sense
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
thanks roberto...
i will wait for...:thumbsup:

maje3d
06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Another idea similar to the Transformers modeling, would be to do a "Beast Wars" transformer. The idea would be to take an animal of any kind and use that as the alternate mode. Focus should be on realism. I know I've considered doing a few graphical updates based off the old show characters before they went into all the Transmetal stuff.

Or, something similar to Trojan's idea, for all those who would like to see the Transformers in their 80s incarnations, to propose a modeling contest where you can pick any character to model. Focus of this would be on realistic modeling/texturing along with an engineer's understanding of how the model transforms.

gpepper
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Another idea similar to the Transformers modeling, would be to do a "Beast Wars" transformer. The idea would be to take an animal of any kind and use that as the alternate mode. Focus should be on realism. I know I've considered doing a few graphical updates based off the old show characters before they went into all the Transmetal stuff.

Or, something similar to Trojan's idea, for all those who would like to see the Transformers in their 80s incarnations, to propose a modeling contest where you can pick any character to model. Focus of this would be on realistic modeling/texturing along with an engineer's understanding of how the model transforms.

Should be cool but in this case this is a 3D challenge more than an FX challenge. Making a 3D model with complex mechanical stuff take time.
In my opinion, FX WARS is a challenge to do cool effects and compositing more than 3D.

The galaxy topic or some stuff with particles looks cool to me.

powerdan
09-19-2006, 03:00 PM
I was thinking in another LiveAction like SuperPowers... something like "Fantasy Fight", imagine that you are a Final Fantasy (or other RGP) Character in a Fight against a monster.

--<Daniel>--

SoLiTuDe
09-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I think going live action really makes sense for the topic of "FX Wars" yes... fx applies to cg-only movies just as it would in live action, but it requires a different type of workflow, as in what it really comes down to is I think it's more practical for the sake of these challenges and time frames to create fx on top of live action instead of going through an entire 3d pipe to create an effect. The only problem is getting footage. This last challenge worked out pretty well I think, but getting access to good cameras is a real pain.

I agree with what Jason (bonedaddy) was saying on the last page (a few months ago) ie: stuff you'd likely see in a movie, and like you pointed to that film thread with the vampires, Roberto.

Roberto, you're doing a good job of making it a bit more specific each time, as to not allow crazy amounts of variation between entries. I like keeping it on FX, not so much the modelling and texturing types of things, but I like the freedom to say we can model an exact digital double if we want to for our story. I don't think I'd like HAVING to create a really good model to make an entry though. Now if it were a transformers challenge, then sure I see where modelling and rigging and animation would come into play, but then saying it has to be comped on top of some real footage makes it more FX ish again. I think i'm rambling now... so I'll shut up

--You've all seen blasphemy3d's transformer video (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=336742&highlight=transformer+test), right? :)

gpepper
09-20-2006, 09:30 AM
You've all seen blasphemy3d's transformer video (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=336742&highlight=transformer+test), right? :)

Yeah, hard to be compared with !

XRGO
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
some ideas i like =D
world destruction: city destructions, meteors, caos
mutation: you know.. hulk, wolfman, stuff like that
and sci fi stuff: space, lightsabers, ships asdasdasdasdads

saludos

brazz
09-28-2006, 01:21 AM
Cargo helicopter leaving some troops on the water or in the top of a building. Good chalenges on that idea for certain, not sure how much for the FX guys.

RobertoOrtiz
10-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Cargo helicopter leaving some troops on the water or in the top of a building. Good chalenges on that idea for certain, not sure how much for the FX guys.
I like the idea of an experimental chopper taking off. Like Airwolf.
Or I might do a "flocking" challenge,
or maybe finally do that Blade Runner Tribute Challenge.

-R

SuperMax
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Now that weve just come out of New Year Celebration, how about the best Fireworks display?

You can build a model or a bridge (Sydney Harbor Bridge) or Building (eg Effiel Tower/Tiapia 101) to launch you fireworks from?

aeres
01-25-2007, 05:37 PM
Long, seamless zooming shots? like those shots that starts from Earth's orbit and zoom onto a house, galaxy onto a satellite, or even human onto blood cells.

May be a bit cliche, but it certainly is a challenge especially when you wanna do it without hiding the transition from far to near (clouds or quick snap zooms ala CSI...etc.). The zooming shots from space to the ground from the movie Stealth comes to mind.

Just my 2 cents.

raylistic
04-07-2007, 04:13 AM
any idea when the new topic will come out?:)

RobertoOrtiz
04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
The results thread goes live next week.

The new challenge thread will go live as soon as I finish writing the rules..
The topic for the challenge is discussed on this thread:
>>LINK<<. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=478210) Keep an eye on that thread for updates.
-R

illusion9
09-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Crash landing can start from Plane to Spaceship.

lightcache
09-22-2007, 11:17 PM
wasnt something underwater related mentioned last time?

maybe something really simple but technically challenging like bubbles rushing to the surface after an anchor or something has been thrown into a body of water :)

RyanH
09-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Random idea for a challenge? Water balloons. Think of the fun people could have with watter balloons. Slow motion and splashes and popping.

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Random idea for a challenge? Water balloons. Think of the fun people could have with watter balloons. Slow motion and splashes and popping.

Ok you got my interest...

What do you see?

-R

RyanH
09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Even something as simple as a single water balloon hitting a wall. Very little modeling needed. Lots of possable layers to the effect. Jiggly motion of the balloon moving through the air, the balloon breaking, the water, the splash, shaders and materials. It gives people a chance to do more or less depending on ability, ambition and time. A neat looking shot that is 90% FX simulation, start to finish, not moddeling or traditional animation.

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Humm you make a good argument for this...

Let me sleep on it.
(I might add another level of complexity to this.)
-R

jussing
09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I'll suggest a fly-through through a camera-mapped 2½D environment. The environment can be matte painting, photograph, photo-collage, or whatever people come up with. Options are open to add waterfalls, torches, smoke and other effects to enhance the illusion.

Suggestions for environments can be castles, future city, old mayan pyramids, inside an egyptian temple, etc.

- Jonas

Diabolos
09-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Follow the Bullet

Place a camera on a bullet and do a split composite - top part of screen the 3d perspective with the camera on the bullet flying to it's target and on the lower part of the screen would be the side angle of the object standing there and the bullet coming into view and impacting the object.

We all love those super slow images of bullets hitting things (milk, soda, spray paint, brick, steel, water, glass, etc). Might be fun to digitally recreate that.

D,

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Even something as simple as a single water balloon hitting a wall. Very little modeling needed. Lots of possable layers to the effect. Jiggly motion of the balloon moving through the air, the balloon breaking, the water, the splash, shaders and materials. It gives people a chance to do more or less depending on ability, ambition and time. A neat looking shot that is 90% FX simulation, start to finish, not moddeling or traditional animation.

Guess what...
CgTalk:FXWars! Water Balloon! - Challenge:17 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=139&t=547151)

RobertoOrtiz
10-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll suggest a fly-through through a camera-mapped 2½D environment. The environment can be matte painting, photograph, photo-collage, or whatever people come up with. Options are open to add waterfalls, torches, smoke and other effects to enhance the illusion.

Suggestions for environments can be castles, future city, old mayan pyramids, inside an egyptian temple, etc.

- Jonas
BTW I LOOOVE this idea.

CaptainBarbosa
10-18-2007, 09:16 PM
How about a challenge entitled 'Vortex!'

Namely, making a fluid whirlpool/vortex sucking something down.

RobertoOrtiz
10-19-2007, 12:03 AM
How about a challenge entitled 'Vortex!'

Namely, making a fluid whirlpool/vortex sucking something down.

Like in Poltergeist house vanishing scene?

CaptainBarbosa
10-19-2007, 12:35 AM
I've never seen that, but I was thinking more along the lines of the POTC3 maelstrom. Of course that sort of scale would be optional, it could be a rubber ducky being sucked down a bathtub drain.

jussing
10-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Have we done the twister? Just thought of it when you brought up "sucking vortex". :)

RobertoOrtiz
10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Have we done the twister? Just thought of it when you brought up "sucking vortex". :)
No we have not...

that sounds like a cool idea.

BTW the sequence in poltegeist that i was talking about is here

http://home.in.tum.de/~paula/mpeg/poltergeist_1.mpg
(Please download it, and play it at 1/2 speed. OFr some reason it is overcranked.)

Rogue wave

-R

nickmarshallvfx
11-05-2007, 01:04 AM
BTW I LOOOVE this idea.

I also love that idea! Would be a great one coz anyone can get involved, matte painters (me), 3D modellers, texture guys, effects artists - each different person can just tailor the shot slightly towards their strength. You've got my vote on that one. If you decide to follow that route Roberto, make sure you publicise it highly coz i can see a massive turnout for something like that as long as people know about it....talking of Massive, you could even have the fly-through over a crowd :)

Nick

freakyfranck
11-06-2007, 10:48 PM
The camera projection project could be a great idea. Specialy because without adding smoke and effects the scene is lacking of depth. I had a class of matte painting in which my teacher just gave us a mesh of an ancient china city. He ask us to do the texture/lightning/effects/painting. It was a really cool project!

lymth
11-27-2007, 10:11 PM
helicopter/jet fighter/missile blowing up a house would be nice -_-

RobertoOrtiz
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
helicopter/jet fighter/missile blowing up a house would be nice -_-
That isa REALLY good idea.
-R

yan
11-27-2007, 10:54 PM
as the twister, a not really "new" idea would be to make a big wave coming into a big city, as ever seen on film or tv doc...
of course the asteroid collision with earth would have a (good)place in the top five, as the nuclear explosion...
maybe a nuclear explosion against an asteroid, who finally generate a collision, and a big wave!??... :D

RobertoOrtiz
11-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I like the idea a lot of an asteroid hit (ala Armageddon)

I might be able to get some footage from cities of the east coast of the US that could be use for comp work.

That means that I will get footage from DC, New York, Philadelphia, and San Juan.

It would be cool if people could show an asteroid hit on their hometowns.

-R

raylistic
01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi, just a quick question. When will the next topic be up? sorry for being too anxious but usually fxwars topic take some time to be up even after the current challenge has ended. I hope this time it can be faster. Even resources are not ready yet, it is ok. Team members can plan ahead once the topic is released like looking for our own reference clips and stuff.
Thanks!

RobertoOrtiz
01-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Well I would love to hear your opinions on the next topic I have in mind..

>>LINK<< (http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/3c082d2daa463110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html)
Here is a WIP+ info of what I have in mind....
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=555307&highlight=space+jumper (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=555307&highlight=space+jumper)

raylistic
01-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Hey RobertoOrtiz, looks good so far. So i am assuming you want to simulate space diving? If you have videos now, i think it will be a good idea. So we can discuss roughly which direction are we heading.

Tzrnutt
01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Timelapse video

samiattar
01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
lets blow up earth.
with all respect to all earth ppl of course

RobertoOrtiz
01-15-2008, 07:43 PM
lets blow up earth.
with all respect to all earth ppl of course
That sounds SOOOO much fun I might just do it..

_R

mbaas
01-15-2008, 11:49 PM
It's a nice topic, but isn't it already exhausted? Or can it get any better than this (http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/hitchhikersguidetothegalaxy/hh_trailer_large.html)? ;)

- Matthias -

Leru
06-27-2008, 01:05 PM
I see that twister is going to be the one for the next challenge.

Maybe next time Roberto you'll try something more subtle. Like... "Constantine" scene where a fly is coming out from beneath the eyelid or scarabs from under the skin or skin burning and dispersing into ashes? ;)

jussing
06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll suggest a "Machineflesh" inspired topic, where the purpose is to make some kind of Terminator/endoskeleton-addition to a liveaction plate of a human.

- Jonas

RobertoOrtiz
06-27-2008, 01:50 PM
I'll suggest a "Machineflesh" inspired topic, where the purpose is to make some kind of Terminator/endoskeleton-addition to a liveaction plate of a human.

- Jonas
Humm that is a god idea.
And I even like the name...

I see that twister is going to be the one for the next challenge.

Maybe next time Roberto you'll try something more subtle. Like... "Constantine" scene where a fly is coming out from beneath the eyelid or scarabs from under the skin or skin burning and dispersing into ashes? ;)

I like how you think...

jussing
05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
New topic suggestion:

Missile attack on car convoy.

(such as Clear and Present Danger & M:I-III) :)

tasiek
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Just making sure, is there going to be a new FXWar topic on monday, even if The Secret Agent challenge has started ?

cheers

RobertoOrtiz
06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Just making sure, is there going to be a new FXWar topic on monday, even if The Secret Agent challenge has started ?

cheers

Yes there will be..That is why I will wait about two weeks before I announce the next fxwars.

JonathanFreisler
11-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I was under the impression the next FX wars was nuke? I'm guessing this has changed as always?

valentious
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow those are some great ideas whiterabbit, got my head spinning just thinking about it. My idea is in your list but I'll mention it anyways. I think a fun challenge would be to simulate natural events like tornados, volcanos, etc. I'm looking forward to these challenges. :bounce:

what the final decision

i wannna get started

katana2665
12-24-2009, 04:10 AM
"All Consuming"

That alone could lend any number of approaches I think.

DeKo-LT
02-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Maybe next challenge can be something slow-motion?

Some examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtBRs-zBjlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4TiiNhehzA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kVhtpfLmw

Destructor007
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Why not creating some elemental war !
That might be fun XD

aeres
08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Some suggestions, just in case anyone's interested:

Fuel air explosion - With a destruction potential rated just below a nuclear weapon, an explosion caused by a fuel air bomb could be an interesting challenge because of it's unique detonation method and subsequent devastation.

Shot down! - basically to show a plane being shot down in carious ways. The challenge could have the contestants depicting the cause and subsequent crash of the aircraft.

renaissance01
08-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Any word on what the next FX Wars topic will be?

joshfilms
08-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Any word on what the next FX Wars topic will be?

I'm also curious about this.

Cheers,
Josh

RobertoOrtiz
08-29-2011, 05:17 AM
Guys go to the HCR modeling forum...
The pre production threads for the next fxwars challenge have been running for almost a week.

joshfilms
08-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Sorry about that Roberto. I'll check it out.

Cheers,
Josh

SamWelker
09-18-2011, 10:07 PM
What will be september's FXWars' topic?

RobertoOrtiz
09-19-2011, 01:27 PM
the challenge will be called
"The Wave..."

We are still working on developing assets for Invaders from Mars.

JamesNZ
09-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Any ideas when the next FXwars will be happening??

richardrosenman
10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Roberto;

Every time I check up on the FXWars forum, I get so pumped and excited. I've participated in one or two (it's always the limited time) but this current one looks so cool!

Anyway, just wanted to give you props for continuing to run such a cool competition and hopefully I'll be able to participate in one of the forthcoming ones. Such nice work going on here...

-Rich

richardrosenman
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I came across this the other day and thought it was just amazing:
https://vimeo.com/60025339

I'd love to try something like this (yes, I know it's extremely complex) but it could be a great idea for a future challenge.

Cheers,
-Rich

RobertoOrtiz
03-06-2013, 05:40 PM
I came across this the other day and thought it was just amazing:
https://vimeo.com/60025339

I'd love to try something like this (yes, I know it's extremely complex) but it could be a great idea for a future challenge.

Cheers,
-Rich
This is a fantastic Idea.
I live in Washington DC and I could film some plates in HD. We could do some animatics to preplan the shooting of those plates.

Samheller
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
Awesome!!! I would be keen to participate in this!!!

Wirginia
03-21-2013, 03:32 AM
Another (original, I hope) idea: Making of crop circle. I think it's interesting one, as no one proved how they are made, the only thing we see is the end result. Modelling is pretty simple, unless you want to use a harvester ;)

Nixellion
03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Wirginia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDF0hJpzWo

Sorry to dissappoint you

Zanozza
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM

I am Technical Artist but I really would participate in challenge with that idea!

aghawa
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM
I live in Washington DC and I could film some plates in HD. We could do some animatics to preplan the shooting of those plates.

Hey Roberto, any news about the next FXWars? :)
I would love to start participating to those...btw that sequence of the taxi chase is amazing :D

pyroskat
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes! some destruction with cars will be good!

yashsingh
08-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Hey guys can help me out . I am using mass Fx and baking 1500 torus for chain simulation. but after 150 frames is giving Nvidia error. plz give segge.

Omegaroth
08-23-2013, 08:08 PM
any other ideas?
lets get this started already!

rochre26
01-17-2014, 05:43 PM
I would love to smash some cars up.

RobertoOrtiz
01-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Ok guys,
we do need some car models.

:)

rochre26
01-17-2014, 06:14 PM
I have two that I made. Pretty high poly. a 2012bmw 5 series and a Honda accord cross tour. Should I upload them?

RobertoOrtiz
01-17-2014, 08:20 PM
Wait wait.. Let me first get some footage

But yeah, we can use them
You have rights for them right?
-R

rochre26
01-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Indeed. I built them from scratch off of the blueprints.

Schempp
01-29-2014, 08:56 AM
I have a Nissan skyline r33 gtr if we want an iconic sportscar, i can rig it in maya if anyone wants to use it for this.