PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk:FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) Challenge:1

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 04:13 AM
It is finallly over.
Time to post your final entries on this thread if you have not done so already.
Thanks to all who participated on this experiment and submitted such wonderfull entries.

Later during next week ill post a voting thread.
Later,

-Roberto

OLD POST BELOW

TREBUCHET SIGNUP LIST: CLICK ON THIS THREAD those who are looking for partners/teams (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155872)

Ok guys and gals I am posting this as an experiment.
If this works Ill post more. And thanks to Beaker for his input

CgTalk:FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet)

THE CHALLENGE:
Build a working catapult, that should destroy a small brick wall in a short animation.

The best animation will be selected by an open vote. The winner will get bragging rights and a small banner designed by me.

DATELINE: Sunday August 15 12:00 PM

YOU HAVE One month to do the challenge.

CHALLENGE SPECIFIC RULES:

No Keyframes, they can only be used for emitters and events. But please feel free to use dynamic simulations to your hearts content.
No work taken DIRECTLY from an exiting tutorial. You may use an existing tutorial only for reference.
You may use a pre exiting model, as long as you give credit to the creator. If you cant model, use simple shapes, since we are interested in the simulation. (But teams are encouraged, and if you are a modeller, you can make your model available)
You may provide a heavily edited animation with all the trimmings (hell add live action if you want), as long a you provide another PLAIN animation of a side view of the working catapult.
GENERAL RULES:

Post only your FINAL piece on this thread. The animation must have been done AFTER the topic has been announced.
WIP ere encouraged if they are posted in ANOTHER thread. Please provide a link to them on this thread.
NEW RULE: WIP thread should be posted on the Compositing & Visual Effects (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76) forum and should follow the name convention:
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1445392#post1445392): MY NAME
Final movies should be rendered at 320 x 240 or 640 x 480 in Quicktime format (Sorenson Compression). If for some reason, you can't host movies, sequential images (Thumbnails size 160 x 120 ) are accepted.
Please add a brief text description about your piece.
Collaborative pieces are accepted and encouraged.
The artist also has to post total length of time it took and program used.
The topics will be picked at random from the list on this >>thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155219)<< (The author will be given credit). So guys keep them coming.
You can add multiple entries, but please dont post
Ill post ANOTHER thread to quantify and track WHO has participated the most on these threads.
Any piece caught breaking the rules will be taken off the thread.
Reference:

http://www.trebuchet.com/
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostem...het/builds.html (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/trebuchet/builds.html)
http://www.ripcord.ws/plans/plans.html

-R

WhiteRabbitObj
07-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Hell yeah, Roberto, you rock for getting this together!

LoTekK
07-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Ooooh, I'm gonna be watching this one closely. Looks like much fun. :)

Powell
07-14-2004, 06:18 AM
sounds like fun! :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Savage_Henry
07-14-2004, 06:21 AM
I'd be willing to model if someone is up for doing the animation

PM or mail me

Palle
07-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Nice idea!!!

Count me in! I have done some experiments on a dynamically driven Trebuchet and hade some nice results. :)

woadiestyol
07-14-2004, 08:49 AM
I've never touched dynamics...ever. Might be a good time to try, hehe.

storman
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Good... I`m in!!!

kinich
07-14-2004, 10:11 AM
i was hoping for something like this to pop up someday.. eventhough i'm a total new in dynamics, it will be a very good learning oportunity... you said war... What other weapons do you have in mind? because all i can think of are catapults..or bows and arrows...

in your sofa
07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
sounds like fun...i guess i'll give it a whirl :)

Per-Anders
07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
might have a quick go at this one

Ian Jones
07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
What about keyframes for the catapult workings? at least the inital trigger?

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 12:45 PM
What about keyframes for the catapult workings? at least the inital trigger?Keyframes used as triggers are ok, but they should not be used to generate the animation.

-R

BigJay
07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm in. This will give me a chance to really see how well the dynamics work in Lightwave.

ThreeHams
07-14-2004, 04:29 PM
Rube Goldberg will envy me.

chipmandoo
07-14-2004, 04:40 PM
I built one of these a couple of weeks ago in maya...

this was the site that i found most helpful

http://members.fortunecity.com/arunge/

lanedaughtry
07-14-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm so in on this one.

This will hold me over til the next 3D challenge.

-L

HenkerChief
07-14-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm in. This will give me a chance to really see how well the dynamics work in Lightwave.
jap, and it doesn't work!! :D

westiemad
07-14-2004, 05:15 PM
i'll take a look into this one as well, dynamically diven cataplat. could we send in a playblast, or do u want it all rendered out etc.

corrupto
07-14-2004, 05:20 PM
" RADICAL!!! " :thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 05:39 PM
i'll take a look into this one as well, dynamically diven cataplat. could we send in a playblast, or do u want it all rendered out etc.
I would prefer to have it render out in quicktime, becuase it is a universally acepted standard.
I you cant render the animation, just show sequential jpg files.
-R

BigJay
07-14-2004, 05:44 PM
jap? wuz that mean... just a point?

I already have my model built and trying to get something going and already I am ready to tear my hair out.

One question. Can we post a WIP and ask about what's wrong with my settings in the appropriate software forum just to get to grips with this stuff. Not sure how much help i should ask for and how much I should be doing myself.

This is the first time I even cracked open this door to even look at dynamics.

WhiteRabbitObj
07-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Roberto, a little clarification because it seems some people are thinking otherwise than myself: This needs to be a TREBUCHET, not some other sort of siege weapon right? Other weapons would be far, far more easy to simulate than a trebuchet so I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here as to what the rules are.

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Roberto, a little clarification because it seems some people are thinking otherwise than myself: This needs to be a TREBUCHET, not some other sort of siege weapon right? Other weapons would be far, far more easy to simulate than a trebuchet so I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here as to what the rules are.
FX WAR is the name of the monthly contest. And by war I mean we will try different types of VFX (The ones picked from the Topic thread "CgTalk:FXWars!Topics (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155219)" )

The main thing for this month is that the weapon has to be a trebuchet.
I included some great sites for reference, so I know you guys can go on the
right direction.

I know this will be challenging, but I know you guys can do this.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 06:25 PM
jap? wuz that mean... just a point?

I already have my model built and trying to get something going and already I am ready to tear my hair out.

One question. Can we post a WIP and ask about what's wrong with my settings in the appropriate software forum just to get to grips with this stuff. Not sure how much help i should ask for and how much I should be doing myself.

This is the first time I even cracked open this door to even look at dynamics.
NEW RULE: WIP thread should be posted on the Compositing & Visual Effects (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76) forum and should follow the name convention:

FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1445392#post1445392): MY NAME

and post a link to it on this thread

-R

BigJay
07-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Here is my entry

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1445498#post1445498

laluneverte
07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
I am in as well.
Giving XSI 4 a chance.

Custom coding simulation allowed?

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 07:23 PM
I am in as well.
Giving XSI 4 a chance.

Custom coding simulation allowed?Go ahead!

The key is that it is a simulation.
-R

animalunae
07-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Here's what I have so far...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?p=1445724&posted=1#post1445690

blacknight
07-14-2004, 09:12 PM
this one is great, i`n in, i been away from dynamics becouse of work but now that i`n in vacation i will give it a go..

i have a question does the projectile needs to be a rock or it can be other thinks ???

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 09:15 PM
this one is great, i`n in, i been away from dynamics becouse of work but now that i`n in vacation i will give it a go..

i have a question does the projectile needs to be a rock or it can be other thinks ???
The projectile can be anything you want.
-R

Clanger
07-14-2004, 09:40 PM
The projectile can be anything you want.
-R
That's good I'm planning to use a dead horse!

RobertoOrtiz
07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Guys I need topics for future challenges , if I am going to repat this in the future.

You can post your ideas on this thread:
thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155219)

_R

Dave3D
07-14-2004, 10:48 PM
:bounce: Cool I up for this one, my first contest, should be fun. plus puts my mind to some thing over the summer i have one question.

Does it have to be a old fashioned Trebuchet?

I understand that it has to have a the basics of a Trebuchet. A catapult that fires a ball. My question is could i have say a domino rally as the trigger and knock out a logo wall?

Dave

vrljc
07-14-2004, 10:49 PM
Roberto-

Just curious. Should we also submit our final maya, XSI, LW, Houdini, etc. files along with the final QT just so you can verify that we did in fact procedurally animate our trebuchet?

-vrljc

Pufferfish
07-15-2004, 06:42 AM
Great! If I somehow find time for this im doing it.

-PFish

rmsmedia
07-15-2004, 10:31 AM
I immediately jumped on this as soon as I read it...here is my initial test done this morning after finding the challenge...

http://www.rmsmedia.com/img/dynamicTribuchetTest001.mov

just gotta build a wall and destroy it - then model some really nice stuff and parent it...I might do some distance tests with different weights and add a controller to adjust how far the projectile is flung...I'm getting really good distance right now...

leach
07-15-2004, 01:22 PM
I think it would be useful to have some kind of guidelines regarding size of catapult, mass of ball/weight and distance thrown,etc...perhaps. Seeing as this is intended to be an accurate physical simulation i think there should be some rules to prevent people comparing how far a tennis ball is thrown to the distance of say, a dead horse! Also is gravity being set to the same value...9.8 i believe.

heres a list of my stats:

missile mass = 1
Weight mass = 10
catapult launching arm mass = 2

Distance travelled = 110 meters

i would be interested in hearing others stats.

leach

RobertoOrtiz
07-15-2004, 04:04 PM
:bounce: Cool I up for this one, my first contest, should be fun. plus puts my mind to some thing over the summer i have one question.

Does it have to be a old fashioned Trebuchet?

I understand that it has to have a the basics of a Trebuchet. A catapult that fires a ball. My question is could i have say a domino rally as the trigger and knock out a logo wall?

DaveSomes like something cool I would love to see.
The main thing for me is to see the basic dynamics of a trebuchet catapult in your animation. As long that core animation is there , anything else you do is fine by me.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Roberto-

Just curious. Should we also submit our final maya, XSI, LW, Houdini, etc. files along with the final QT just so you can verify that we did in fact procedurally animate our trebuchet?

-vrljcI leave it up to the creator to what he or she wants to post.
I just want to see the animation file.

Honestly, I see this FXWAR as an oportunity for you people to start wrting tutorials for your individual programs, and learn in the process.

-R

rmsmedia
07-15-2004, 08:49 PM
i would be interested in hearing others stats.

Mine are almost identical.

Missile = 1
Weight = 15
Catapault Arm = 2

gotta check the distance...

veanova
07-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Here's my trebuchet, only the model done so far.. I really need some help with the dynamics, can't get it to work properly!

:)

My trebuchet (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155560)

dragonz
07-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Yep, a lurker here as well, hoping to try this one out! looks very intriguing. Never used maya's dynamics as of yet, but i am hoping to give them a shot! GL to all.

WhiteRabbitObj
07-16-2004, 01:51 AM
As for weights you would do well to use real weights, if you want to keep everything in an accurate ratio. Do some research and it shouldn't be too hard to find (haven't looked into it yet myself but I'm going to shortly). For instance, I believe that some of the largest medieval trebuchets used counterweights in excess of 2000lbs (1 ton). Stones could probably reach a couple hundred pounds.

Also, some people continue to refer to a trebuchet as "a catapult", which it isn't at all. Inventiveness will be awesome to see what people come up with, but operating on the assumption that basically a trebuchet is a catapult is wrong and violates the rules of the contest. Maybe Roberto is willing to bend the rules and allow catapult style machines but I'm just working off what's been posted so far. To clarify, a catapult operates off of a resistance or spring method, pulling an arm back which flings forward based on tension, this is the classical movie artillery. A trebuchet flings up and around using a counter-weight and only the force of gravity. Personally, I think trebuchets are far cooler, it's amazing how powerful and elegant they are.

animalunae
07-16-2004, 08:20 AM
Actually, a trebuchet IS a catapult according to me.

Catapult comes from the greek "cata- + pallein" to poise a weapon before hurling. Which is actually what a trebuchet is doing as well.

Trebuchet comes from old french "trebucher" which means to "overthrow", referring to the lifting of the arm caused by the counterweight.

Perhaps the catapult you refer to, the one with the arm that's wound up using a spring mechanism has another more specific name, but according to me they are both catapults.

leach
07-16-2004, 09:40 AM
dear whiterabbit

You seem to be implying that the contest requires a trebuchet to be specifically built, however, according to the original rules, i dont think this is the case...

"THE CHALLENGE:
Build a working catapult, that should destroy a small brick wall in a short animation.
"

So I take it to mean that any kind of catapulting weapon can be built. I hope this is correct?

cheers

leach

animalunae
07-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Although it is specified that it should be a trebuchet...

And if you check out the reference that mr threadstarter added, it's all trebs, no other catapults... I think we should just stick to trebs, so we can do the other catapults on another challenge :)

Ian Jones
07-16-2004, 01:11 PM
I agree with with WhiteRabbit.obj, catapults are resistance and tension based, whereas trebuchet's are counterweight. Makes total sense to me.

animalunae
07-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Check a dictionary:

www.dictionary.com

Trebuchet: A medieval catapult for hurling heavy stones.

Srek
07-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi,
i think a trebuchet differs from a mainstream catapult in that it uses a slingshot like mechanism to hurl the object. The beam and counterweight is just one possible solution to power the slingshot.
Cheers
Srek

animalunae
07-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Indeed, what I am saying is that theres a lot of different kinds of catapults:

Catapults:
- Trebuchet
- etc...

Like a treb is an apple and catapults is fruit...

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR TEAMS i POSTED THIS THREAD:

TREBUCHET SIGNUP LIST: CLICK ON THIS THREAD those who are looking for partners/teams (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155872)

And please post more topics
HERE > CgTalk:FXWars!Topics (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155219)
so I can do more of these challenges.

-R

Srek
07-16-2004, 05:26 PM
How about the load release? Do we have to simulate this correctly by letting a rope slip over a hook or similar?
Would a tearing rope or a hook/handle setup be ok?

Cheers
Srek

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2004, 06:55 PM
How about the load release? Do we have to simulate this correctly by letting a rope slip over a hook or similar?
Would a tearing rope or a hook/handle setup be ok?

Cheers
Srek
A tearing rope sounds fine by me.
The key is the simulation.

-R

animalunae
07-17-2004, 09:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catapult

Wikipedia is great, in this section, it states that a treb is definatelly a catapult, but a catapult isn't necessarily a treb, other types are tensional and torsional catapults... a ballista is a tensional catapult...

WhiteRabbitObj
07-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Hence, my comments about catapults and trebuchets not being the same thing. A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. I just don't want people to put a lot of work into something and get disqualified (if there is any voting of some sort) because they didn't bother to pay attention to the rules closely enough.

studio
07-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi Guys :

Cool challenge ! Very difficult though , so in my interpretation of what the Moderator is trying to say , or do , it is OK to post any kind of a simulation animation that features a "Throwing Machine" , and preferably have it destroy a wall of some kind .

This is very hard for most of us to do , I think . Some have already accomplished the task , of course , but if we let ourselves get bogged down in the details , or take this challenge too literally , we may not get to see very many results <grin> . It's very tricky , but as the Mod has said , "the key is the dynamics" .

If someone was to post an actual dynamic simulation of a spoon flinging a sugar-cube at a wall of sugar cubes , nobody here is going to jump on them for not following the directions properly . They may not be eligible for an Emmy , but I'm sure they will receive some Conrad's for their hard work and efforts .

I'm sure the Mod would agree that one of the goals is to see actual dynamic simulations , as best as you can manage in the time you have allotted for this challenge . Another goal might be to try and have a little fun doing so .

Hopefully we will see enough contributions on this particular challenge to inspire further challenges for years to come . What you can't manage , or don't have time for now , you may be able to make room for on a later challenge .

Anyway , that's just my 2 centavo's worth . Not trying to speak for the Mod here , but just trying to perhaps help to get us all off to a good start , having fun and pulling our hair out <G> .

Thanks & Good Simulating !
Studio

jbingman
07-17-2004, 06:34 PM
The Trebuchet (or Trebucket) is distinct in it's use of centrifugal force. The fact that it uses gravity as it's energy source makes it unique and un-catapult-like, and very proper for a dynamic challenge. In my mind, if it doesn't use tension for energy, and goes twice as far as one that would - it's a trebuchet.

time's ticking, time to start clickin'.

later - pad

veanova
07-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Guys, newbie question - why am I getting the error message "Warning: Cycle on 'pCube75.worldMatrix[0]' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)" when fiddling around with dynamics, and what does it mean?

Thanks..

westiemad
07-17-2004, 09:54 PM
you can ignore that warning, maya is searching for stuff in the dependancy graph, just copy the cycleCheck -e off to the script editor and run it.

Flipped_Normal
07-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Found an article in the paper today that is oddly related. Human trebuchet anyone? http://www.extremedreams.co.uk/human%20catapult/

Only 1 dead so far :rolleyes:

westiemad
07-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Silly question here, are we allowed to bake the simulation? As technically this converts it to key frames, but makes the outcome predictable.

coryc
07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Roberto,

I have a similar question. Can we use the MakePath function in LW8's dynamics? It bakes the motion to a null via keyframes but it is created by the dynamics.

RobertoOrtiz
07-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I have no problem with baked motions, as long as the original motion was produced by a simulation.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
07-31-2004, 03:28 PM
Two weeks to go until the end of the challenge!

and here are the entries that we have so far in Alpha order.
If I am missing one, please reply to this thread.

FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : altruizine (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155669)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Augusto Flavio (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155696)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet): Big Jay (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155362)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : BloodRabbit (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155933)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : ChaosCommand (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155553)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Christian Rambow (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155579)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : CoryC (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157855)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Derby-Q Salano (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155384)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : _d1 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157384)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : echo.no (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155560)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Elix (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=156693)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : FiendishVegan (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=156328)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : gaggle (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155575)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : grau (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=158486)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Grayson (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155795)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) - Kinich (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155409)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Leach (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=157923)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Projectkmo (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155637)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Rens Heeren (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=156741)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Srek (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155542)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : takshaka (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=156238)
FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : Westiemad (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155367)
FX War: Trebuchet: WhiteRabbit.obj (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155368)

BloodRabbit
07-31-2004, 06:05 PM
If it doesnt bother you too much I would like to be on the list aswell

westiemad
07-31-2004, 07:14 PM
awesome I shall bake them out, then I can use the choice node to determine if its what I want in the final shot.

Synthesizer
08-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi,

I would like to join this as well. I have already made a trebuchet with dynamics which can be seen at www.flyingcolours.ca/ssw (http://www.flyingcolours.ca/ssw) It is a Flash movie. The only thing that I couldn't figure out is the sling. If anybody knows how to do that or where I could find a tutorial, that would help. On that website that I mentioned above I also explained the diference between a catapult and a trebuchet. Just so people don't get confused, I say that all torsion powered throwers should be called an "onager" or "mangonelle" if that is how they are spelt. A catapult(onager) is torsion powered while a trebuchet is gravity powered. Hope this helps.

-Vormav-
08-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Just two weeks, huh... Heh, well I'll try to come up with something.

alx
08-02-2004, 12:38 AM
heyya.. i am allready doing my Research to do the trebuchet, i also had the same question... but here is a whole paper on trebuchets :)

this link provies other links on the topic

http://science.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=question127.htm&url=http://trebuchet.com/plans.html

and this one is the one that explains the sling
http://www.ripcord.ws/howslingswork.html

batavia
08-02-2004, 03:57 AM
On that website that I mentioned above I also explained the diference between a catapult and a trebuchet. Just so people don't get confused, I say that all torsion powered throwers should be called an "onager" or "mangonelle" if that is how they are spelt. A catapult(onager) is torsion powered while a trebuchet is gravity

Ahh, Age of Empires

westiemad
08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
if i am unable to get my video in quicktime format, will it be accepted in avi? Not sure how to get all my stills into a quicktime mov file.

Synthesizer
08-05-2004, 11:56 PM
Ahh, Age of Empires
Yes! That is also what they were called in the past.

westiemad
08-06-2004, 11:20 PM
This post is the same in my WIP thread as it is in the entry thread.

WESTIEMAD'S ENTRY
Well I'm done, I won't have any more time to do anything on it, there are 3 files avaliable, a crappy encoded one that is about 12.51mb, and a nice shiney one (thats the one you should get) thats about 46.23mb. There is also the required simple side view with all the bells and whistles turned off (6.5mb).

About the entry.
There are no keyframes on any of the objects, except a camera which are stepped keyframes.
There are a few expressions to drive the birds, the arm of the catapult (to ensure it evaluates corretly, which is more of a debugging command), one on the walls of the castle to get them to react to gravity.
Particles are cloud type, software rendered, 2 particle emitters, shaded using particle cloud, with ramp opactiyPP and radiusPP.
900 frames long.
Envsky for the sky texture.
Pin and hinge constraints used only.

I have learnt a fair amount in this little project, I've started to flex the dependancy graph in maya in a way that it shouldn't be used, and have got a couple of new tricks up my sleeve, as well as a new found confidence in trying out new stuff. I'm not a texture artist or a lighter but dynamically its pretty sound. Hope you like it as much as I enjoyed making it.

If anyone could help me host them I would be very very appricative.

www.members.lycos.co.uk/westiemad/westiemad-fullLOW.mov (http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/westiemad/westiemad-fullLOW.mov)

http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/westiemad2/westiemad-fullHIGH.mov (NOW UP!!)

www.members.lycos.co.uk/westiemad/westiemad-side.mov (http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/westiemad/westiemad-side.mov)

NEW MIRROR

http://www.3dcg.co.uk/westie/westiemad-fullHIGH.mov

http://www.3dcg.co.uk/westie/westiemad-fullLOW.mov

http://www.3dcg.co.uk/westie/westiemad-side.mov

LINK TO WIP: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155367

AnDy

alx
08-09-2004, 04:09 AM
NEW RULE: WIP thread should be posted on the Compositing & Visual Effects forum and should follow the name convention:

FXWars! Catapult! (Trebuchet) : MY NAME

and post a link to it on this thread

-R

OOPS I THINK I FORGOT TO LINK MY ENTRY TO THIS THREAD..

HERE IT IS
THIS IS ALX ENTRY WIP AND EVENTUALY FINAL (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=159481)

---EDIT--
WELL I REALLY ENJOYED THIS CHALLENGE... its kinda like the old day challenges... no prizes nothing special... just do it for fun... and i seem to find it more rewarding that way.

anyways... i am not sure if i can have this rendered in time. so ill just post an animatic with sound and cammera cutting. i kinda like it personally, but anwyays..
here it is.

TREBUCHET VIDEO 640 *480 QUICKTIME SORENSON 3 " 22mg"
ALX TREBUCHET VIDEO "RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET AS" (http://www.alxstudios.com/personal/treb/alx_Final.mov)

this is the same vid in DIVX
TREBUCHET VIDEO 640*480 DIVX 5.03
ALX TREBUCHET VIDEO "RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET AS" (http://www.alxstudios.com/personal/treb/alx_Final.avi)

SIDE VIEW VIDEO 640 * 480 QUICKTIME SORENSON 3
ALX TREBUCHET VIDEO "RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET AS" (http://www.alxstudios.com/personal/treb/sideView.mov)

im gonna render it anyways.. but ill post it once it's done. ;)

all the best
alx
:wavey:
still working on it..
coments are welcome :p

animalunae
08-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Here's my thread:

Software Used: Maya

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=155384&page=1&pp=15

http://www.ronin3d.net/CGI_Files/Trebuchet/Treb_M.jpg (http://www.ronin3d.net/images/movies/Trebuchet.mov)

http://www.ronin3d.net/CGI_Files/Trebuchet/Side_Thumb.jpg (http://www.ronin3d.net/images/movies/Trebuchet_Side.mov)

http://www.ronin3d.net/CGI_Files/Trebuchet/Thumb_Wire.jpg (http://www.ronin3d.net/images/movies/Trebuchet_Wire.mov)

grau
08-10-2004, 05:56 PM
I don't have more time to work on this so this will be the final animation.

10.3mb - 320x240 - Sorensen3
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/grau/trebuchet_anim.htm
new mirrror:
http://home.arcor.de/ar0400957178/trebuchet_anim.htm

-keys were only used for the switch and the camera
-simulated with reactor2
-rendered with vray (34h for 473 frames at 640x480)
-the whole project took me about 2 weeks

my thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=158486)

some preview shots
http://ccc.1asphost.com/grau/trebuchet14.jpg

http://ccc.1asphost.com/grau/trebuchet15.jpg

http://ccc.1asphost.com/grau/trebuchet16.jpg

http://ccc.1asphost.com/grau/trebuchet17.jpg

Holycow
08-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Funny Artifact.

There is a piece on your trebuchet (not sure what it is called) that on one frame turns upide down, then about every third or fourth frame, sorta dissappears or turns super fuzy :|

westiemad
08-13-2004, 09:15 PM
thats to do with motion blur, if u do certain things in maya u upset the way it renders motion blur, as it sifts through the dependancy graph in an order, i had the same problem in mine with the particles cause I'd used a few commands to get the data to flow the way i wanted, not the way maya thought it wanted to, you can write a pre render script so it evaluates every frame, but I ran out of time.

coryc
08-14-2004, 04:17 PM

DATELINE: Sunday August 15 12:00 PM

What time zone are we using?

coryc
08-15-2004, 06:01 AM
OK, Here is my final entry.

http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/finalthumb.jpg (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/cgtalktrebfinal.mov)
http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/cgtalktrebfinal.mov (2.3Mb)

http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/sidethumb.jpg (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/sideview.mov)
http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/sideview.mov (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/sideview.mov) (470KB)

http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/flythumb.jpg (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/final01.mov)
http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/final01.mov (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/final01.mov) (1.4Mb)

http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/trebsidethumb.jpg (http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/trebsideview.mov)
http://beta.usavgroup.com/cgtalk/trebsideview.mov (900k)

Here are the details:

Keys - a Keyed event fires the arm. The rope wind-up handes are key driven for decoration only. The rest is dynamics, emitters, and makepath nulls

Software - Lightwave 8. Comped in After Effects

Render Time - The final is comped and took a day and a half of different renders and editing. The flying one took about 4 hours and was done in 2 sections - The trebuchet and the tower and comped together.

Project Time - Whenever possible for 4 weeks. The first week was spent figuring out if LW's dynamics were up to the task.

Swear words involved - 13,551

I think that just about covers it!

Projectkmo
08-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, thanks to Charley I didnt get to finish up my last 2 renders...or peice them all together.

I'll submit these two simply for people to see...not as a final entry since again, its not gonna be done by noon (just got power back 20 mins ago)

This was going to be an opening shot ofthe Castle from which the Treb would fire from at the Seige towers/advancing armies http://www.alxstudios.com/personal/treb/KMO/Cam_6_Castle_Pan.mov

and this was an ok test of the Seige Tower getting hit
http://www.alxstudios.com/personal/treb/KMO/Front_SeigeTower_Smash_01.mov

I have a clean side movie of the Treb launching but It wont be uploaded in time to post here....Alx was nice enough to host the images and movies for me so Huge THanks to him for that!

It was a fun Challange, I look forward to the next and I do, plan on finishing up this on my own time and will post it later in the week I hope.

Grats to all who participated and to all those who helped anwser all our questions along the way.

John

RobertoOrtiz
08-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Ok guys,for those who have not done so, time to post your final entries

-R.

Lee3dee
08-16-2004, 02:51 PM
these dynamic simulations are awesome! i'd like to know what 3d software was used for each :) and maybe someone would post a quick tutorial for us interested in dynamics :D

plug3
08-16-2004, 03:59 PM
My final entry:

trebuchet view (http://www.plug3.com/movies/treb.mov) (QT 1MB)

wall view (http://www.plug3.com/movies/wall.mov) (QT 570kb)

http://www.plug3.com/movies/treb_thumb.jpg

maxrelics
08-17-2004, 04:07 PM
toight like a toiger

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.